1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 24, 2016.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

37 The Ringer

Interesting move to see Sinestro has already founded his Sinestro Corps. That's the third I believe confirmed to be operating. Star Sapphire's a question mark since she was on her own in that one webisode with Ivy's league of villains. I can only wonder if any of the other Corps are gonna pop in. With Krieg at the helm, you never know... but more Green Lanterns wouldn't hurt. And Kilowog hasn't shown up yet if that photo for Space Cabbie was intended was seeding an appearance.

Just loved it opening with banter between Sinestro and Green Lantern. Totally drives in the difference - Sinestro is seriously listing what he lacks, then GL retorts with superficial things. Subtle but was neat to see he was honored to fight Superman for the first time but once he realizes Superman and Wonder Woman aren't going to be a challenge, busts out the mech suit construct. Plus at the end, of all ways to take him out, Hal makes a speeding train derailment construct. :D Hmm, could have been a nod to the GL:TAS pilot. He saved a train in that one if I remember right.

Overall, this episode was well worth the wait. Loved the balance of humor, drama, and action. So awesome seeing a GL-Atom episode at long last! GL launching Atom from a giant crossbow in space. Into Sinestro's ring. :D Then GL coaching Atom to overcome the yellow ring. Perfect! The lines and acting were top notch, you could feel a sense of camaraderie. I think at the end when GL makes the dome construct on Atom's request, there's a 'sure, buddy' in there.

The first fear. Quick Jimmy cameo pointing his camera at the viewer. The laughing Leaguers was pretty freaky. Nice peek into Atom's childhood on a farm it seems. I don't recall much if any of his childhood explored in the comics other than his dad died of cancer. Third fear, naturally made the most sense.

Despotellis was a perfect choice. Because of his size, it makes sense he's the one powering Sinestro's ring and as the adversarial threat of the Atom! And to top it off, Atom uses his wits and powers in concert to defeat one of the deadliest in the Sinestro Corps. The ending was hilarious with Despotellis just stopping mid-sentence and giving up. heh heh.

Looking at the credits, noticed Jeff Wamester was one of the boarders. I wasn't familiar with the name and turns out he's more on the Marvel animation side of things. Must have been a freelance gig. Or a dare. :p

Definitely my overall #1 favorite episode of the season so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tikki Tumbo

Tikki Tumbo New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to these forums but have been following this thread for a while. I have my DVR set to record new episodes of JLA. It did not recognize "The Ringer" as a new event. Does this have anything to do with the fact that CN doesn't support WB shows including JLA?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

in a cartoon they never made a team, Hal and Ray were part of the first Justice League Animated (Filmation) and then both were Superfriends. But in the comics they were great friends. I am particularly happy because they are my 2 favorite heroes of all life and I hope to see more episodes with GL and Atom together! :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    #463 EmaHalJordan, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I know Hal and Ray are pals in the comics but no animated show really touched on that before Justice League Action. Thinking about it some more, Young Justice was the most recent cartoon to feature both of them, but I can't recall any scene they might have talked to each other.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Keaton still makes for a great Hal.

I think this was the most visually impressive episode of the show yet.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

My DVR didn't recognize "The Ringer" either. Glad I caught it and hit the record button about 15 minutes before the episode started.

Cool seeing GL-Hal and his arch enemy Sinestro. Like the team work with the Atom.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:00AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Forget Me Not"
    Episode Debut - September 30th, 2017
    Directed by - Shaunt Nigoghossian
    Written by - Jeremy Adams

When Firestorm discovers that League members have no memory of who they are, it’s up to him to fund them up in their secret identities and convince them they are Super Heroes.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Real shame about that show. Too bad it couldn't get the toys made for it to continue.

I liked Ron Perlman's version better, Ron is just simply great playing sinister characters. But Darrin's version was pretty good too.

Yes, I believe "let those" is the correct wording for the Oath.

I think the Justice League questioning what he is, hurt him more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #470 ShadowBeast, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Firestorm continues to be just an awesome character. Never expected an Oprah reference. Heh.

I dug we got little peaks into Superman's life - a quick cameo of Lois, his tractor and baseball on the shelf, the photo of Ma and Pa Kent; then we got to see Batman and Wonder Woman in their standard civies. The meta comment Clark made about how would he use the bathroom was pretty funny as with Diana rebuffing Bruce right away.

Sandwich Golem fist bump scene was awesome.

On the grid of Leaguers at the beginning, I guess they didn't bother double checking who's a member at this point...

Considering Faust's true age, it was a pretty amusing he loved the segway. Chuckled when he saw Superman lifted if off the pavement. It was a bit disjointed at the end after Wonder WOman snatched the orb, i.e. did they knock him out or did Faust teleport away?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm kind of curious to see how the rest of the League were handling forgetting their Superhero identities, especially those who don't have secret identities. I guess Zatanna would probably just think she's a normal magician, Vixen just a fashion model, and Mr. Terrific an olympic level athlete with several PHD's...so basically a Superhero without the costume :rolleyes2:.

So...I guess Supergirl joined the League off-screen :confused:?

How does Professor Stein know Superman is Clark Kent (on-top of Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince) while Ronnie doesn't? Does the League list their civilian identities in their databanks (which Ronnie probably wouldn't read)? Does Stein have some kind of omniscience in his floating head form that lets him peek into the League's private life (which sounds kind of creepy) o_O?

I've gotta believe that "mild-mannered reporter" mug was a present from Jimmy and Lois for Clark's birthday...or an April Fool's gift that Clark took seriously :sweat:.

It was nice to see Lois finally make a physical appearance after her previous name-drop, now hopefully she can get a speaking appearance before the series concludes ;).

I know it's true to their Golden Age dynamic, and was already acknowledged in "Repulse," but it's kind of sad to see Lois blow off Clark like that when he seems like such a sweet guy :(.

Loved the picture of Ma and Pa Kent in Clark's office...though hopefully he had more then one copy after Firestorm erased it :eek:.

It was really cool getting to see Batman as Bruce Wayne and Wonder Woman as Diana Prince. Kevin Conroy never really gets a chance to play Bruce much these days and we don't see a lot of Diana in a secret identity, so it was pretty fun seeing them both out-of-costume :).

I was almost half-expecting Shane Glines to re-use his Bruce Wayne design from Beware the Batman. But it was quite fun getting to hear Conroy play Bruce Wayne and a more softer tenor to his Batman voice then we usually get :cool:.

I like the sense of Diana's persona as Diana Prince we got in this episode. Compared to the normal Wonder Woman she seems to be a more no-nonsense, professional, person which I guess fits in terms of embodying the idea of a modern woman ;).

Man, this show is getting a lot of mileage out of parodying the "I'm Batman" line :harley:.

Felix Faust. On a segway. I love how goofy Jon Cryer's Faust is :p.

Never change Ronnie, never change :D.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The scene between Firestorm and Clark Kent was pretty awesome. It's cool how much of Clark we had on this show so far - given the premise of the series one might presume secret identities and the heroes' private lives wouldn't be a priority. I imagine if this were a half-hour episode we would have seen more from Bruce and Diana as well, but I can't really complain since what we got was still entertaining.

Lots of neat gags, like Clark realizing he's actually Superman, or hearing various takes on the famous "I'm Batman!" lines. Fun stuff. Faust was a pretty good adversary, I liked this take on the character from his first appearance and he was similarly fun in this episode as well. His army of golems was pretty cool.

All in all, this was a great episode. Firestorm is a fun character and I like how the show continues to use him pretty often.

And it was awesome seeing Lois for a couple of seconds... though hopefully she'll appear some more later on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Another episode that gives us comedy that anyone (particularly kids) could enjoy, but is really catered around long-term fans. I love this show. I'll miss it once it's finally off the air for real, which I hope is some time like 2020...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I cringed a little when Wonder Woman just threw the orb on the ground. What if that didn't restore their memories?
    The Clark Kent-Superman resemblance was setup enough as something obvious to anyone who pays close attention. The other two...were necessitated by time constraints.

• Like Like x 2
  16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:00AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "The Brain Buster"
    Episode Debut - October 7th, 2017
    Directed by - Doug Murphy
    Story by - Geoffrey Thorne and John Semper, Jr. & Rebecca Kaminski
    Teleplay by - Heath Corson

A mysterious creature abducts Batman, Mr. Terrific, Lex Luthor and two of the brainiest villains in the universe to put them to the test in order to discover who’s the smartest among them.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1x39 THE BRAIN BUSTER

Feels like ages since the season started and Mr. Mind appeared in one of the first episodes, locked up in the Watchtower but since then he's escaped off-screen, got a robot with teleporting abilities, somehow constructed a series of elaborate obstacles on an alien planet, and obtained helmets to transfer brain waves into another... he's a planner to say the least.

Guess we know where Grodd was sent after the UN incident. And a Riddler cameo. I hope that prison goes with a different roof guy during repairs. To the point that prisons be pretty vulnerable on a comic book show. Stryker's had a Djinn on a meteor bust up on the scene and the Joker boom in. It's probably a small wonder they can keep them locked up the whole week.

It nice to have a smaller cast of heroes with just Batman and Mr. Terrific. Though the whole episode I was wondering who was ranked what # -- but Batman throwing shade on Terrific's #3 rank was pretty amusing. The Calculator and Brain being rivals was entertaining as well. I'm on the fence about Lex cheating throughout with his tech like a stereotypical villain. But it's not like there were many rules. Plus, Terrific and Batman's ingenuity in the car race was awesome. It was rad the T-Sphere was the winning edge but figures it's when Mr. Mind 'turns his back' on the others to focus on stealing Luthor's body. But Terrific's confession at the end was a great punchline.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I'm a sucker for these kinds of stories, so enjoyed this one. When you have God powers and immortality, how else do you pass the time?

They kept bringing up the "World's Smartest List" like it was some kind of final authority, but the whole time I just imagined it was crappy Buzzfeed article. And now I'm thinking about Mister Terrific writing tons of clickbait articles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess Stryker's was so tired of Luthor breaking out of prison that they just shipped him somewhere new. Though it's also kind of funny that we've seen Lex get broken out of prison twice on this show, and yet it's never of his own volition :p.

Poor Riddler and Grodd getting snubbed for the "world's smartest" contest, though it was cool to get cameos from the both of them, even if Riddler has yet to have a proper in-costume speaking appearance yet :).

Is Calculator's costume some kind of weird, organic, mesh? Because I really want to know how he was able to blow a raspberry in a suit that seems to cover him from head to toe :confused:.

I'm so used to the Brain having an exaggerated French accent that it kind of took some time to adjust to Jim Ward's performance, even though it did a pretty good job of conveying the Brain's elitist and arrogant personality. It was pretty fun to see the show use him though, and maybe we'll see the rest of the Brotherhood of Evil at some point ;)?

"I'm all about Fair Play!" Not that we would've known if you hadn't pointed it out for us, what with it not being printed on your jacket and all :rolleyes2:.

The Mr. Mind reveal was pretty cool, though with how full of himself and his brains he seemed in his first appearance, I can't say I'm surprised that he was involved in an episode featuring the smartest of the smart competing with each other :cool:.

I am kind of curious to see the exact rankings for the smartest list, especially since it was implied Mr. Mind picked up the top five with Batman, Terrific, Luthor, Calculator, and Brain. Though with the tease that Terrific wrote it himself and ranked himself #3 to deliberately throw people off, the rest of the list is probably pretty arbitrary :ack:.

Though I'm also curious as to what the top ten might look like...

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

At first, hearing Hannibal Burress as Mr Terrific was throwing me off but with each appearance, it's been growing on me.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1