1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 24, 2016.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can't believe I might actually want to watch the Darkseid family's domestic life on this show :p.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Loved Sid, he was a well-written [jerk] archetype that didn't get annoying. The ending was very nice but this version of Darkseid is a wimp who has failed to deliver in both of his appearances.

Kalibak was great to see, favorite Darkseid minion.

Mod Note: Language.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #442 Capt.Traphouse, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  3. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I've felt for some time that Justice League Action gives us the best animated version of Superman in decades, and this episode also delivered. He's not invincible, but he's more than tough enough to get the job done. He knows he's walking into a trap, but has a plan to overcome the odds. And then just when you think he's going to punk Sid out of a headline, he does... but wait! He actually does something nice for the loudmouth. I feel like for the last 20 years, you rarely get this combination of Superman writing. Thank goodness for JL Action. I would agree one minus for this episode is that Darkseid is mostly all talk, but I believe they'll eventually deliver.

• Like Like x 3
  4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

The Critic debuts in the JLAction! Universe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

The Cube Root premiered here on September 3rd, but I was busy so I only got to see it today.

Does anyone know what's up with the Calculator? It wasn't clear to me what his plan was and what his backstory is.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

His plan was to hack Mr. Terrific's T-Spheres and use them to facilitate a crime spree.

I don't think they really went into any backstory for him outside being a tech savvy Supervillain who dislikes Mr. Terrific.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, there was a quick line when Terrific and Firestorm were spying on the hacked spheres at the power grid. Terrific hypothesizes Calculator triggered the black out so he could insert the spheres into any bank or government installation he wanted then the Calculator hologram confirmed it.

As for back story, at Terrific's speech, he alluded to a little about how he was always on the sidelines crunching numbers for other villains and finally decided to strike out on his own. So that sort of implies he was the anti-Oracle like in the comics later on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:00AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Superman Red vs Superman Blue"
    Episode Debut - September 16th, 2017
    Directed by - Doug Murphy
    Written by - Heath Corson

Luthor splits the Justice League into two versions -- one passive, one aggressive.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was cool to see the show take the concept of Superman Red and Blue from the comics and apply it to the plot of an entire episode, and involving more Leaguers on the splitting fun :D.

I only wish they had actually kept the Red and Blue costumes from the comics intact :sad:.

Superman Blue and Wonder Woman blue being so enthusiastic and nice was funny to watch, especially in how they treated Lex. And I guess since the Blues were the true version of each hero, it just goes to show that the Trinity are, deep down, just really nice :).

What would this episode have been without Green Arrow's quips :anime:?

Red vs. Blues...reminds me of a certain Machinima series ;).

Was Red Batman really an aberration? He seemed more like normal Batman then the Blue version did :p.

Of course even a "good" version of Lex Luthor would be willing to use violence for the greater good :ack:.

Just think of all the future trouble Red Luthor could have solved if he hadn't done the "right" thing and fused himself back with Blue Luthor. Of course, I guess that would also rob the show of it's most recurring villain, even if it saved the heroes a lot of headaches :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JoeMabbon

Not favorite Yin Yang episode, but pretty good nonetheless.
    Blue Batman felt like Conroy's stab at Adam West Batman.

Yeah, that was a status quo thing. If the episode had run a little longer the writers could've introduced some kind of instability that caused both halves to breakdown and then he wouldn't have had a choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Oooh, really fun episode. Red/Blue Superman/Wonder Woman interactions were all great - but it was blue Batman that killed me. "I'll only say this once - please." Heh heh!

The twist actually made sense, too. I was worried there would be some kind of cop-out, but it worked really well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Eh, wasn't feeling this episode but the Alfred mention was pretty funny.

• Like Like x 2
  13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think this version of Superman could have carried the entire story by himself, but it was fun seeing more heroes' split personalities clash. The Blue Superman and Wonder Woman were pretty hilarious. The Red versions were good as well, and I really liked that fight scene between the two Batmen. I thought the twist regarding Luthor was fairly predictable but it still played out nice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I'm not sure either 'Red' or 'Blue' should be thought of the 'true' version of any of the characters, though I expect the short run-time didn't provide enough room to really explore that idea. At least the Star Trek episode that split Kirk into passive and aggressive versions had an hour to play around with the concept.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JoeMabbon

Jackie Chan Adventures did it in about half an hour.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Multiple times in fact :p.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:00AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "The Ringer"
    Episode Debut - September 23rd, 2017
    Directed by - Shaunt Nigoghossian
    Written by - Jennifer Muro

The Justice League fights Sinestro and his unusually powerful ring.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  18. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

The Ringer is THE BEST Justice League Action episode EVER!!!

Many great moments for GL and Atom! and Sinestro was also the best villain since the beginning of the series !! and we even have the GL oath! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

After all the teasing and cameos, it was great to finally see Green Lantern in a starring role and getting plenty of good action scenes and one-liners. Josh Keaton as Hal is also always a delight :D.

It was pretty fun watching Hal face off against a souped-up Sinestro, with even the League in tow, especially since Keaton's Hal was denied the chance to properly go toe-to-toe with his Archenemy and the Sinestro Corps. with Green Lantern: The Animated Series' cancellation. It's nice to have that rectified in some form ;).

Darrin De Paul of Final Fantasy XV fame as Sinestro was perfect casting. He was really able to capture Sinestro's voice and personality, and Sinestro's overcharged ring made him a major threat for our heroes in this episode :evil:.

It was cool seeing Wonder Woman take out Justice 2 in the show proper after seeing it in action in one of the online shorts :cool:.

It was great hearing Hal recite the Oath, though isn't it always "let those who worship evil's might" and not "To those who worship evil's might" :confused:.

It feels like they keep trying go around showing Aquaman whenever they use the classic founders together. I get that he's not getting an episode this season, but you'd at least think he has a design they can use o_O.

A photographer with a bow tie? Got to be Jimmy :anime:.

I guess if anyone had any question as to whether this Atom was Ray Palmer, the big "Palmer" name on the silo should clear that up. Never would've thought Ray would come from farming roots :ack:.

Green Lantern and Atom being pals was a neat element of the episode, with Hal supporting Ray in his trek into Sinestro's ring. Though I hope one day we can see both of them hanging out with their traditional buds (Flash and Green Arrow for GL, and Hawkman for Atom) :).

It was cool seeing another Sinestro Corps. member pop up in Despotelis, especially since he's got a pretty interesting design, though too bad about that whole getting squished thing :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's great Green Lantern finally starred in an episode and even had lines. Having Josh Keaton back as Hal Jordan on this show is probably the next best thing to a continuation of Green Lantern: TAS. It's cool how the episode managed to focus on the Atom, as well. I don't even remember the last time both Hal and Ray actually talked to each other in a cartoon, so this was nice.

Sinestro was a cool opponent and his over-powered ring made for some pretty awesome fight scenes. It's nice to have him as a villain from the beginning instead of going the same route as other animated projects where we first see him as a Green Lantern and then his fall. Here he's a Yellow Lantern and proud of it. I never knew about Despotellis before this episode (I actually thought that was supposed to be Parallax for a moment).

Overall, another enjoyable episode. Lots of neat scenes and some humor during Atom's fear-induced hallucinations. Some might find them too silly for an action cartoon but I liked them. Also, I thought his apparent death towards the end of the episode was more dramatic than Plastic Man's back in the first Brainiac episode.

• Agree Agree x 3