1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 24, 2016.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Hmmm, I just figured if you saw a guy who looked like that, that would be your reaction regardless if his reputation proceeded him or not.

I love a good meta-joke. Dark SEED, hahaha. I wonder how many people called him that prior to hearing his name said aloud on TV.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Cabbie has probably seen big scary aliens like Darkseid before. So I would assume he would be used to it. He saw Darkseid before he got in the cab after all. He probably has never seen Darkseid before, and thus was afraid upon learning who he was driving for.

I didn't even know about Darkseid until the animated Superman series. Of course I would've spelt his name as Darkside then. Comic-fans probably got confirmation about how his name is pronounced at comic-cons. with comic-newbies getting the name wrong, and others knowing him by the cartoons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BigFatHairyDeal

"Time Out" was an interesting episode. The thing that jumps out at me the most is that unlike in just about every other animated series in which Batman's complaints are legitimate and on point, he just comes across as a nag. Of course, many of Batman's criticisms were deserving, emphasized when BG missed what Batman was saying so he could post on social media, but once you see all of the work Booster Gold has put in to saving the time stream, it totally changes your perspective on what Batman was saying. This show isn't really big on emotion, since it's mostly action and comedy, but there's heart to this episode, while not straying too far from the show's bread and butter. Great ending.

Nauseated Batman I assume is a callback to the old DCAU, haha. And to think it all may have started as a throwaway line in Batman Beyond.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Space Cabbie has more appearance on JLAction then in the past 50 years of DC Comics. :D
    I am loving this version of Space Cabbie as voiced by Patton Oswalt.

• Like Like x 2
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:30AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Mxy's Mix-Up"
    Episode Debut - July 22nd, 2017
    Written by - Jim Krieg
    Directed by - Doug Murphy

As the Justice League is trying to protect the United Nations from Grodd’s gorilla army, Mr. Mxyptlk pops up from the fifth dimension and thinks it would be great fun to put each of the superheroes’ brains into another hero’s body.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
    #365 RoyalRubble, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This feels like the Stargirl solo spotlight episode that would've taken place prior to "Field Trip," like Firestorm and Blue Beetle's did, which was nice and overall I thought this was a pretty fun episode. Watching our heroes stumble around in each other bodies (except Batman of course), was pretty hilarious :proud:.

Gorilla Grodd is a classic DC villain so it was really cool seeing him appear here, leading a gorrilla uprising at the UN. It would've been nice to see him use his telepathy once during the episode, but I thought he was a solid threat here even if Mr. Mxzyptlk was more effective in messing up our heroes :evil:.

I also thought it was cool that they got David Sobolov to reprise Grodd from the Flash TV show, and I think this is probably the most lines he's ever gotten as the character. Probably helps that he can actually talk here ;).

It was really neat seeing Mr. Mxyzptlk pop up and cause his patented brand of 5th-Dimensional mischief, since that's always good for some good, crazy, fun. And it was pretty awesome getting Gilbert Gottfried to reprise the role from the DCAU, and in a more classic Mxy design as well :).

I don't know if there's anything that can top Kevin Conroy talking with the enthusiasm of a teenage girl, but that was like the most hilarious thing ever :p.

It was really cool seeing all those heroes turn up in "Bravo Squad" (I guess the League divides certain members into on-call mini-teams for emergencies), especially since I think that's the most guest heroes we've ever had in one episode :D.

Although it was a little disappointing that their only role in the episode was to stand around and get caught in Mxy's mind-swapping, and that it was obvious they didn't get anybody's VA's back except Firestorm :sweat:.

Still, it was nice to see Martian Manhunter and Shazam finally make a physical appearance again after "Shazam Slam," and Flash make another TV appearance after "Galaxy Jest." I was just glad to see Flash pop up in an episode with Grodd, given Grodd is traditionally one of his Rogues, even if they had no significant interaction in this episode. But I guess it's the thought that counts :rolleyes2:.

Never has the impracticality of Shazam's new codename being his transformation phrase been so evident then it was in this episode. Or how Ronnie isn't the brightest tool in the shed :harley:.

I wonder what Cyborg was doing stuck in Martian Manhunter's body? Just stuck going intaginble or without any control of J'onn's mind powers o_O?

Who would've thought the mental head of Professor Stein would end up being instrumental in Mxyzptlk's defeat? That was a pretty clever way of tricking him into saying his name backwards :anime:.

So Stargirl's accidental plan was spurred on by her wanting to meet Firestorm, who she previously referred to as the "atomic guy with the split personalities." I wonder if that was because she was really interested in meeting Firestorm or, in light of the "Chemistry" short, that she has a crush on him :ack:?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I like to think anyone writing a Mxyzptlk story has to start by figuring out how they get him to say his name backwards.

Has it really been twenty years?

Shape-shifting?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It does take place before, doesn't it? Stargirl met Firestorm for the first time in this episode. I wouldn't doubt they're airing these episodes out of order.

I was wondering about that. Maybe he doesn't have it initially like in JL then Flash tampered with his helmet or YJ when he got it after Brain's experiments.

Yes! That was an awesome scene. But still, I loved that Superman sucked as Batman. :D

It was pretty awesome. I figured either Superman or Stargirl would have tricked him somehow but that was nice turn that Stein got stuck in Mxy's head.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BigFatHairyDeal

I guess it would've been too confusing, but it would've been funnier if they made the episode like "The Great Brain Robbery" and speaking voices remained with the host bodies.

It was funny to see everyone poorly adjusting to their host bodies, minus Batman. Decent episode, funny way to get Mxy to say his name backwards, but I thought it could've been tweaked a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a lot of fun - which shouldn't be too surprising given Mxy was involved in the story. There have been a few mind-swap stories in recent years but this one still managed to be pretty entertaining.

I liked how Batman and Superman were trying to mentor Stargirl, though I was hoping Wonder Woman would appear as well. Still, seeing their training methods was fun. And like Superman said, it's important to remember to have fun.

Grodd and his army were nice but they didn't really use them to their full potential. I am going to guess we haven't seen the last of them. They did come in pretty handy as opponents for the heroes to punch around.

Seeing Batman as Stargirl was pretty hilarious, considering the volatile emotions of a teenage girl. :p I also really liked Superman trying to deal with having no powers and Batman's multiple gadgets. He seemed to be doing better back in "Under a Red Sun", when he was similarly powerless.

I guess if this was a full half-hour episode we would have seen more from the other heroes trying to cope with their new powers, but those brief scenes we did get were pretty funny. I think Firestorm as Shazam was my favorite gag.

And it was great seeing Professor Stein save the day by defeating Mxy. It was both funny and kind of educational as well. So, Stargirl's idea to bring Firestorm to the fight paid off - even if she didn't exactly plan it that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Okay, because Mxy is a supernatural being, I'll let the voice switching cliché slide on this occasion.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It probably helps that it was his own body that time and not lugging around a Utility Belt of random gadgets :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Good thing he didn't accidentally open that Kryptonite pocket on Batman's utility belt... though it probably wouldn't have affected him in this situation anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:30AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Supernatural Adventures in Babysitting"
    Episode Debut - July 29th, 2017
    Written by - Ernie Altbacker
    Directed by - Shaunt Nigoghossian

Stargirl has to enlist Constantine’s help when Klarion the Witch Boy takes the place of the boy she’s supposed to be babysitting.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was really cool seeing Stargirl out-of-costume as Courtney Whitmore. We don't usually see the heroes of JLA in their civilian identities so it was kind of a nice change of pace, and Courtney's really cute both in-and-out of costume :anime:.

I forget if Stargirl was good at gymnastics in the comics, but here her nimble and effortless grabbing of all those priceless artifacts was pretty impressive :cool:.

It was neat to see Klarion come back. I'm not even going to ask how he got out of the House of Mystery because that was a heck of a while ago, but he and Teekle made for solid antagonists for our heroes and Klarion's own childishness was pretty fun to watch :evil:.

"I don't do babysitting jobs...what do you think I have Alfred for?" :p.

Poor Constantine constantly getting mistaken for a hobo. It's the trench-coat, isn't it :sweat:?

And I guess Stargirl must still have some work to do memorizing the Justice League files if she wasn't able to recognize Constantine...

Who needs magic when you can always just straight-up sock bad guys ;)?

Not only did Timmy get to learn his favorite babysitter is a Superhero, but he also got a free cellphone from Batman. Not a bad day at all for that kid. Though I do wonder how Courtney managed to explain the cellphone away to his dad :ack:?

Constantine using the grimoire to reunite with those demon ladies at the end is such a John Constantine moment that I'm surprised it got past the censors :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JoeMabbon

I like that Klarion-Timmy took a bite out of the sandwich.

"Hobo?" He's fit and clean shaven. He's a transient at most. Is there a haggardness that the art style is not translating?

It would've messed with Stargirl.

He just had to get off at the next stop. He's actually in a much worse situation this time around...

• Like Like x 2
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, I think in the comics he's a bit more unkempt and got a 5 o'clock shadow, though I think people may just be predisposed to assume random men in trench coats are hobo's :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JoeMabbon

You can't be a hobo if you don't have a bindle and/or facial hair.

Yeah, and outside that lollipop joke, no cigarette either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I was tripping out about the Magdalene Grimoire appearing in this episode. It's from the Sandman comic but it was last seen with Stanley's Monster -- who just appeared in this past Wednesday's DC Super Hero Girls' Out of the Bottle #8. Strange coincidence. lol.

Stargirl continues to surprise me. Before the series aired, I didn't think she would make an impression on me but the way this version's been written by the crew and voiced by Lander, she's easily in my top 3 of favorite characters so far.

Not too shocked Klarion and Teekl came back. I wrote it off as soon as the House of Mystery reappeared on Earth, they simply.. walked outside. I dug the homages to their appearance in TNBA "The Demon Within" way back when - Teekl's feminine humanoid form and one of the items she showed Klarion was the Branding Iron of Morgaine Le Fey. lol'ed when they got defeated again this episode with the weird plant beast thingie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

I really hope this isn't the last we see of Klarion, because I really do like this show's version of him

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1