1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 24, 2016.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Though it would be kind of silly if a show called Justice League Action didn't have solid or fun action sequences :rolleyes2:.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:30AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Time Out"
    Episode Debut - July 8th, 2017
    Written by - Jonathan Callan
    Directed by - Jake Castorena

Batman must team up with Booster Gold when an inter-demoniacal alien creature starts eating up time literally.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon "Sharpshooter"

That was a pretty classic Booster Gold story. Diedrich Bader did an excellent job with the character.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"Time Out" was pretty awesome. It's nice to see more of Booster Gold since he's been absent since the series premiere I believe and he's a fun character. Plus, as this episode showed there's more to him than one might think, but sadly not many know or remember that.

In a way the episode was a nice little call-back to Justice League Unlimited's "The Greatest Story Never Told", but I thought it was also kind of reminiscent of the Batman and Booster team-ups from Batman: The Brave and the Bold. And some shades of the "Time Share" episode from earlier on this show. Fun stuff.

It was cool seeing Batman learn more about Booster and even starting to respect him. The ending was kind of sad, something I wasn't really expecting, since no one really knows how much of a hero Booster is. At least in "The Greatest Story Never Told" he got a happier ending.

Also, Skeets was a nice surprise and the photo of Booster and a nauseous Batman was pretty hilarious. And can't forget the brief mention of Guy Gardner, but at the same time it reminds me the only Green Lantern we have seen on the show so far was Hal Jordan, for a brief scene towards the end of the series premiere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Really cool to see H.I.V.E., H.I.V.E. Master and the H.I.V.E. Robot again so soon. The 'hive mind' sonar was a neat move but Batman easily taking it out was pretty hilarious.

Loved that it turned out to be a Booster Gold episode and he got to shine.

Also dug the Skeets cameo as well as the Vanishing Point and the Chronovore from I think DC 1 Million and All Star Superman. Neat to hear a reference to Grodd and Guy. The space elevator -- not sure if that was a nod to a 90s mini called Hammerlocke that featured a space elevator named Olympus Starbridge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was pretty great seeing Booster take the spotlight in this episode after his long absence since "Shazam Slam." Booster's thing is that he's "the greatest hero you never heard of," in that beneath his goofy and shallow exterior he's a hero protecting time and space without anyone being the wiser to what he's doing, so it was cool to see that developed here and getting Batman's reaction to it :).

And in some ways this did feel like a shorter and more succinct "The Greatest Story Never Told," which I think is high praise as far as Booster Gold episodes go ;).

It was pretty awesome seeing Vanishing Point show up, though I was a little surprised that it was apparently just solely Booster's place and base of operations. I was almost expecting a gag about how he was sub-letting it from Rip Hunter :rolleyes2:.

It was cool to see Skeets make a cameo in Vanishing Point, and I guess that's just where he's been all the time. It's been pretty weird not seeing him attached to the hip with Booster like he always is :ack:.

That mention of Guy Gardner was cool, especially since it also more or less confirmed that the other Earth Green Lanterns exist alongside Hal even if we haven't seen them yet :D.

It's also kind of funny that Booster did something to Guy since Booster's voiced by Diedrich Bader, who's also voiced Guy a few times in animation before. So Diedirch Bader is basically messing with Diedrich Bader :harley:.

It was fun to see HIVE and Hive-Master again. I wonder if those troops knew about the whole, "taking over your body," thing? Probably not the kind of thing they have you sign a waver for :sweat:.

I wonder if this was supposed to be a new Hive-Master or if they'll just have him voiced by whatever spare male VA they have in the episodes he's in? It's almost inevitable he'll be voiced by Jason J. Lewis at some point :p.

This episode had some really dynamic and cool action sequences, as Batman and Booster took on those time antibodies and Chronovore :cool:.

That ending, with Batman forgetting the entire adventure and going back to ridiculing Booster, felt surprisingly poignant as Booster just takes it in and just goes on without a complaint with the memory that Batman had truly acknowledged him as a hero prior keeping him going :crying:.

You can tell how much it hurts that he can't just say what happened, but at the same time you have to respect that he's still not taking the credit for the things he does and is letting the other heroes continue to think of him only as the fool he outwardly portrays himself as. That takes some real heroism :proud:.

I think that's the first time we've ever seen Booster's eyes in animation :eek:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

At least no one is mistaking him for Green Lantern this time. :sweat:

• Like Like x 3
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:30AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "The Fatal Fare"
    Episode Debut - July 15th, 2017
    Written by - Paul Dini
    Directed by - Doug Murphy

Space Cabbie inadvertently learns about a great threat to the Justice League when one of his passengers turns out to be Darkseid.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

To think, the League probably would have never been able to stop Darkseid if not for Space Cabbie's due diligence to hand Darkseid his receipt. And he still got a platinum Omega out of it to boot. Who says heroism and good service doesn't pay ;)?

After "Under the Red Sun" featured Steppenwolf and Virman Vundabar, it was only a matter of time before we got to see the Big Bad of Apokolips himself, Darkseid, in action against the Justice League and delve more into the vile and evil forces of Apokolips :evil:.

And with this episode featuring Kanto and Desaad along with their master, I guess that just leaves Granny Goodness, the Female Furies, and Kalibak to appear :).

I loved that Darskeid, Kanto, and Desaad's character designs were so true to their classic Jack Kirby roots :D.

I thought Jonathan Adams was a surprisingly great Darkseid. His deep voice and delivery really helped convey Darkseid's menace and authority very effectively. Troy Baker was also solid as the Apokoliptian assassin Kanto, and Jason J. Lewis was near-unrecognizable as the sycophantic Desaad :eek:.

The surprise Roxy Rocket appearance was pretty cool. I mean, she's like the last character you would expect to show up at all this kind of big, cosmic, adventure, but at the same time when she's a gal with the name "Roxy Rocket" it's not all that crazy an idea either. She's also a fun character, so I'm pretty happy seeing her show up in JLA like this. Her character design was pretty nice and attractive, and Gillian Jacobs got her attitude down to pat. I hope we get to see her again at some point :anime:.

Having her be re-imagined as a rocket transport that's a cheaper and more efficient alternative to the Space Cabbies was a neat idea. I wouldn't be surprised if she was still a former daredevil stunt-woman turned criminal on Earth and only moved to space after she got tired of getting beat-up and arrested by Batman all the time. Though if she really stole her warp engine, as Cabbie alluded too, it doesn't look like she's that far removed from her old life of crime o_O.

The Lobo and G'Nort cameos in Roxy's promo video were awesome. Though if Roxy really stole the warp engine for her rocket, shouldn't G'Nort be trying to arrest her instead of hitching a ride...? Then again, she said he had run out of juice on his ring so there probably wasn't much he could do. Plus, it is G'Nort :p.

Pretty nice variety of guest heroes in this episode, with Hawkman, Swamp-Thing and even The Atom all getting to play solid roles in helping stop Darskeid :cool:.

I guess if I have any issue is that it felt like the League took down Darkseid a tad too easily once Superman got out, given how much of a powerful and near-omnipotent combatant the Dark Lord of Apokolips is traditionally depicted as. Although we did get to see his Omega Beam vaporize one of his Parademons :ack:.

It's always awesome seeing Superman and Darkseid tussle, however briefly :proud:.

I don't know what Cabbie's got to complain about. Sure he's apparently going to get reunited with the deadly villain who's plan he helped foil and is doing a disservice to his fellow Cabbies by helping the competition, but I can think of a lot of people who would probably enjoy the chance to sit behind such an attractive woman as Roxy Rocket :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
    #349 Frontier, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon "Sharpshooter"

That was neat.

Dark Seed. Uggh, that brings back some memories. "The battery still works!"

I think he's supposed to be in some sort of movie this year? Valerian?

Glorious Godfrey?

Yeah, Superman even made a point of saying that he wasn't even back to full strength...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1x28 THE FATAL FARE

Rather comical this started as a serious Apokolips invasion and led to Space Cabbie saving the day, heh heh. Always good to see a working stiff do so and it's not always the super heroes.

Design-wise, not much of a surprise with the new ones - Darkseid, Kanto, Desaad, Roxy, G'nort. Kinda hard to do something different with them like Flash and Superman. And naturally, the battle ships were totally Kirby. heh. I'm fairly sure some won't like how depowered Darkseid seemed but across his various appearances in animation since the 90s, he's either overpowered or depowered. Can't get out of that.

Dug they were able to keep the trait of Kanto being a master of weapons in the comics by giving him a gun with different settings -- Kryptonite ray, weird blade thingie. Roxy was pretty random until I learned Paul Dini wrote this episode, lol. Moreso, amusing back in the day she left Gotham to enterprise in Metropolis in that S:TAS episode where Brainiac took over Bruce. Now, she's enterprising in space on this series. :D G'nort cameo for the win.

Patton Oswalt continues to elevate Space Cabbie. "Mr. Darkseed?" was a winner. Platinum Omega and "Even cosmic big-shots need their business write-offs" were also pretty hilarious. Pretty cool that he used his head to trick Kanto and took him to Earth.

In terms of references, nice touch with choosing a moon of Graxos IV. In the comics, Graxos IV is the homeworld of the Green Lantern, Arisia. GLC and Belle Reve Prison nods, check. The latter, figures they would be equipped for alien prisoners.

I had 4 gripes: I was wondering what exactly Atom was doing to the Mother Box the whole time but I can see it would have been a time-suck exposition that doesn't play well with the 10 minute format. The 'ol 'guy backs onto a rake and makes a noise' cliche made me groan a little. Wonder Woman was in and out like "Time Out"! Argh! Lastly, defeating Darkseid by Boom Tube. Yeesh. Cliche at this point. I think the only time he was defeated differently in the last few years on TTG! but...yeah. Still, it served the last gag of the episode.

• Like Like x 3
  12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's cool Darkseid made his debut on the show. Same goes for Kanto and Desaad. I like the focus on Jack Kirby's creations. It got a little too silly at times but I thought they were still treated with respect. The episode was good, but hopefully, we haven't seen the last of them.

Space Cabbie is getting a lot more exposure here than I expected but I'm not complaining since he's a fun and pretty entertaining character. The episode had a nice and kind of surprising mix of characters - both good and bad. I'm glad they managed to add at least one Superman versus Darkseid story this season.

The surprise appearances of Roxy Rocket and G'nort were pretty awesome. Roxy is a character I pretty much forgot about since the days of Batman: TAS and Superman: TAS, but she fit in nicely and it's cool Paul Dini brought her back like he did with Harley's hyenas a couple of episodes ago. G'nort was a nice cameo but I never would have expected to see him before Hal, John, Guy or Kyle. :p But I like all the Green Lantern allusions they made on the show so far.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Fixed. ;) Hal had a brief appearance so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Fine. I wasn't expecting G'nort to get more screen-time than Hal. :p

Though come to think of it, this also happened on Batman: The Brave and the Bold, but they kind of had Guy as the main Lantern for that show.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They really like teasing us with Green Lanterns, from the cameos to the references :p.
    The Belle Reve reference makes me wonder if we'll ever see any form of Task Force X pop up on this show. I'm not sure how well the Suicide Squad would fit, but I'd be interested to see what the show's take on them would be like :).

I just assumed he was sub-atomically messing with the wires or something :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The ending had me in stitches. Suddenly, having to take a ride from a rival might be Space Cabbie's smallest problem...

Fun episode all around. The idea of Darkseid actually paying his taxi fee in itself is amusing. A bit surprised that neither Cabbie or Roxy have heard of Darkseid. Maybe he hasn't become infamous in this continuity yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Or maybe they just forgot how his name is spelled :rolleyes2:?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon "Sharpshooter"

Autocorrect strikes again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Probably but I enjoy hearing Atom explain things. lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Cabbie knew about Darkseid considering the expression on his face when Darkseid corrected him on his name. I think Cabbie (and possibly Roxy) just didn't realize his name was spelled like Darkseed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1