1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 24, 2016.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Both Luthor In Paradise, Plastic Man Saves The World, Field Trip, Rage Of The Red Lanterns, Freezer Burn, The Trouble With Truth, Double Cross, Battle For The Bottled City, and Garden Of Evil were pretty awesome/enjoyable,

Both Superman/Wonder Woman's moments were great/enjoyable.

Cool seeing more of Green Arrow, Plastic Man, Cyborg, Firestorm, Blue Beetle, and Swamp Thing and cool seeing The Atom, Vixen, and Stargirl, Plastic Man saving the world was sweet.

Cool seeing Lex Luthor, The H.I.V.E., Harley, The Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Deadshot, Brainiac, General Zod/Faora/Quex-Ul, Circe, The Red Lanterns, Brother Night/Ember, and Killer Frost, my favorite awesome DC supervillains, love their sweet new designs, love seeing more of Harley/Poison Ivy working together:D, Circe/Killer Frost's cool new designs are so sexy.

Cool seeing Queen Hippolyta/The Amazons and Athena, Queen Hippolyta/The Amazons may be awful sexist jerkettes, but they're awesome/hot.

Firestorm's crush on Killer Frost, Blue Beetle/Firestorm/Stargirl's team-up, and the Swamp Thing/Poison Ivy moments was so great/funny:D.

• Like Like x 2
    #321 Radical, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Now I'm just imagining the conversation on the ride to Arkham. Ivy probably keeps complaining about how Batman ruined her hair and wedding :p.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Isn't that why there's a trunk? :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, there is precedent with the Arkham Knight Batmobile :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Lions do chase Hyenas away from their kills. So there is some fear from them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon "Sharpshooter"

It's simpler than that. How did Poison Ivy get control of Swamp Thing? Blind date.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I never really considered the possibility that Poison Ivy could control Swamp Thing, so that was an interesting tidbit.

Fun episode all around, between fun banter from Firestorm, Vixen and Harley Quinn getting more to do, and one Mad Max-ed out Batmobile (that even Batman had to admit was cool).

Regarding the blind date, you have to feel bad for Swamp Thing. One has to assume he doesn't get many dates in general, and then he finally gets one, and the lady ends up using him to try to take over Gotham. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:30AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "All Aboard the Space Train"
    Episode Debut - July 1st, 2017
    Written by - Ray Utarnachitt
    Directed by - Doug Murphy

In a strange turn of events, the JLA enlist the help of Space Cabbie and Jonah Hex to stop the hijacking of an intergalactic space train.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1x26 ALL ABOARD THE SPACE TRAIN

6+ months later and we're already halfway through season one. What a ride of awesomeness. :D

Plucking the Space Train from comic obscurity and putting into a pretty familiar Old Western tale was a stroke of genius. Tip of the hat to whoever suggested it. Even down to Space Cabbie filling the role of the protagonist who's a good person but in it for the money. Cyborg making deals with him were pretty hilarious. He is a working stiff, not a superhero, after all. Jack, I don't know if he's from the comics or not, but definitely got an R2-D2 vibe off of him. Jonah using a conventional means to win the fight was also entertaining. Not a laser pistol or force field belt, nope. Just yank the brake line. And of course, riding off into the sunset.

Trevor Devall's take on Hex and Khary Payton's as Kanjar Ro -- pretty spot on with what I expected. I wasn't floored but it was just right. And that can be a good thing. I definitely did a double take at the storyboard credits. Frank Paur? THE Frank Paur? Couldn't say I was familiar with this episode's animation studio, Maven Image Platform but they're another studio in Seoul.

And well, I was more intrigued with the cargo than the story, lol. Seems like the Trident of Poseidon, maybe Pied Piper's flute, and probably Excalibur.

My gripes are few but still related to the 10 minute structure. I didn't find it too clear why they were transporting their property in space on a train. Was it going to that secure facility Wonder Woman alluded to at the end of "Rage of the Red Lanterns"?

While it feels very obvious we may see Hex again later this season, the perhaps bigger set-up piece is Batman mentioning the Justice League has several ways to get Hex back to his own time. Time travel. Based on the July schedule, that's coming up very soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I do wonder if there are any easter eggs relating to Leije Matsumoto's Galaxy Express manga or any of it's anime adaptations.
    - the number 999?
    - a space train designed to resemble an old steam locomotive?
    - any reference to C6248, the GE's serial number?

Unfortunately, we are not subscribed to Cartoon Network.

• Like Like x 2
    #330 Otaku-sempai, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  11. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon "Sharpshooter"

I think this one grabbed me more than alot of recent episodes due to the setup alone. The fact that it was executed almost perfectly was icing on the cake.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was nice seeing Space Cabbie again, and also getting to meet his little robot friend Jack (because what cabbie doesn't need his own jack ;)?). It's also always fun to see the League call on Cabbie's services and his earnest heroism in-spite of his lack of powers and smaller station (though I'm sure the money doesn't hurt) :).

I was wondering if all those other objects in the train's cargo were actual, named, objects in the DCU canon. On first glance I thought they might be Aquaman's trident or Shining Knight's sword, but Yojimbo's guesses sound pretty spot-on :cool:.

Jonah Hex was so awesome in this. Just throwing him into the future, Steve Rogers-style, was neat, even moreso given the space setting, but it was also really cool to see the story play out like a classic Hex adventure (but in space!) as he takes on a bunch of ugly varmints hijacking a train with nothing more then his pistols, wits, and fists :D.

Trevor Devall also nailed Hex, from his attitude, to the delivery, and the voice in general :proud:.

Cabbie and Hex were also a fun odd couple to watch :anime:.

It would've been nice to have seen Cyborg do more then just fly the jet, but he was the one who gave Cabbie all the incentives he needed to help save the day ;).

Batman talking like a cowboy was the most hilarious thing ever. I wish they had kept that going the whole episode :p.

Kanjar Ro is a classic DC space baddie so it's no surprise seeing him here, though maybe a tad surprising seeing him with such...girth, in his design. Still, hijacking a space train with some hi-tech gadgets is typical of him, and Khary Payton did a solid job in the role of the bug-eyed space bandit :evil:.

Though seeing Kanjar Ro in a prominent role makes me want to see Adam Strange guest star in a future episode...

So the League has multiple means of time travel at their disposal? I imagine the Cosmic Treadmill is one, and maybe Superman and or Wonder Woman have some kind of artifact intrinsic to their heritage at their disposal for traveling into the past. And of course there's Booster :rolleyes2:.

So...I guess Jonah is going to live the life of a cowboy hermit on an alien planet now, which I guess is fitting for him, if not very conducive to future team-ups or appearances on the show. Though I'm sure the writers will find a way :harley:.

• Like Like x 3
    #332 Frontier, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A team-up between Space Cabbie and Jonah Hex is kind of random but this episode played out very nice. It's cool to see Hex make his debut on the show, and I am guessing we haven't seen the last of him yet. He was portrayed well enough and I his interactions with Cabbie were entertaining. I thought it was interesting how he was frozen, and the Justice League found him. (reminded me of Captain America - though the Avengers never offered to return him to his own time :p).

Space Cabbie was also handled pretty well and I liked how Cyborg convinced him to join this mission. It's nice to see Cabbie appear in more episodes, he's a fun character and given his job and setting in space could provide some more interesting stories later on.

Cyborg didn't do that much this time either, but he wasn't as useless as in "Battle for the Bottled City". He did come up with a way to get Cabbie into the story, so that's something at least. Batman had some cool scenes (especially at the start of the episode) but Cabbie & Hex pretty much stole the show.

Kanjar Ro was a pretty good villain. It's kind of funny how he's been portrayed as such a threatening character in pretty much all of his appearances, maybe except for Justice League where he was a minor villain.

I guess I have to agree the short format for this show hurt the story a little, since there wasn't really enough time to explain the Space Train or its cargo (some pretty cool stuff in there - I wonder if they're foreshadowing some future stories). All in all, a good episode with some nice action scenes and a satisfying story.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

I legitimately enjoyed this episode! Patton Oswalt still nails Space Cabbie's pretty adorkable nature and Devall killed as Hex! Plus the action was pretty neat (What else can you expect from an action show? XD). I really want this show to do well, esp. since we're in the halfway point. Please pull through....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon "Sharpshooter"

Oh you'd be surprised...

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The set-up in itself was interesting (western in space!). And even though one would think space would be out of Hex's comfort zone, I suppose any situation that allows him to use a gun is fine by him.

I couldn't help but think he'd be lonely after awhile, though. That planet seemed pretty empty.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Weird Western Team Up, Jonah Hex and Space Cabbie.
    By Golly, it works. :cool:

Both the B:TB&TB Hex and the JLAction Hex decided to stay in the present and have space adventures.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bestmand902

Hm? What do you mean by that?

19. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon "Sharpshooter"

That not every action show has quality action.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Bestmand902

Oh, sorry XD

Yeah, I definitely agree. Sorry for not catching what you meant at first

• Like Like x 3