"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback, Part II (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 22, 2017.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Her name is Bernadeth :).

She's probably the least adapted of the Female Furies :sweat:.

Or her dad ;).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I want to believe the generic "The Final Countdown"-like melody was selected in part to make it a big joke about being the "final" piece of the Anti-Life Equation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Funny Batman/Kevin Conroy shared the screen with another veteran Batman voicing an over the top hero in Roger Craig Smith like with Booster Gold and Diedrich Bader.

Miracle hugging Darkseid was hilarious. Nice callback to the Sid Sharp episode when all Kalibak wanted was a hug. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No wonder he was on Batman about the caped code, since they've both played the Caped Crusader ;).

Now I'm suddenly imagining Mr. Miracle and Kalibak competing for Darkseid's affections :p.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Or Kalibak in a rocket-shaped kid's bed eagerly gripping the edge of his blanket as Darkseid reads him a bed time story.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

I thought Scott was being sarcastic about the whole jealous of Kalibak thing.

Pretty good episode. I think my favorite moments were Barda and Scott reuniting and the reveal that Mister Miracle was serving as his own announcer.

Poor Darkseid, you're drifting down to '80s cartoon villain incompetence. You're not there yet, but you're on your way.

I can accept Batman not knowing Barda and Scott are an item, but he really should've led with "Darkseid's got a hostage."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I have a question for my fellow comic nerds. Are you folks kinda turned off by the constantly overexposure of the "BIG BADS" in modern media? In the comics characters like Darkseid and Thanos should be used sparingly as they have usually cause cataclysmic universe damage. I will say so far, the MCU handles Thanos slightly correctly. The uninitiated moviegoer doesn't quite know just how dangerous he can be. On that same token, I don't feel the MCU has given the fly-by-night moviegoer enough reason to fear him yet. As you can see, they're going to wait till the last two Avengers films.

I bring this up cause by using guys like Thanos and Darkseid in these cartoons just seems to downgrade the characters to a less threatening state. Yeah Mr. Mxyzptlk is a big threat, but to more of an annoyance than catastrophic. I feel even guys like Darkseid take an entire series or multiple seasons to defeat their machinations, instead of now being bit players.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #28 the greenman, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Sure. Ra's al Ghul comes to mind in the past few years combined in animation and live action. I hope he goes into hibernation soon. Darkseid has had a weird couple of years. I mean voiced by Weird Al in Teen Titans Go! for starters...

• Like Like x 1
  10. the greenman

Well, really it's all in the writing. What YJ did for Savage trumped JL. It made him more a threat than even Darkseid for the time being. So, we just get this disparate tones of characters, and it just seems weird.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Good points. But I guess it's better to have disparate tones than the same thing. Myths are open to reinterpretation and so are these characters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. the greenman

That is true to a certain degree, however, they still will follow parameters. JLA is very much in the vein of BTATB, as opposed to early 00's JL/JLU or even Avengers EMH. So those characters can change. However, I am kinda conservative in terms of how I want my scifi or fantasy as I studied these in college. If you "mess" with a formula too much, it will fail. Ghostbusters '16 is an example of this as far as I was told. Following Joseph Campbell's monomyth, you can trace popular tropes even till now. I do accept these interpretations, but I hope the rebooted Wolverine isn't going to be all emo and depressed.

13. AmazingGumball

ikr [I know, right?]

Mod Note: A rule here is a post needs a full three to five word sentence minimum. The abbreviation does not count.

#33 AmazingGumball, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2017
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:00AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "System Error"
    Episode Debut - November 11th, 2017
    Directed by - Jake Castorena
    Written by - Patrick Rieger

When Batman discovers that he and the rest of the League are robots, he investigates to find out who did this and why.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This felt like "His Silicon Soul" if it was cut down to 15-minutes, made more fun, and didn't agonize over whether the robot heroes were "real" or had a life of their own :ack:.

The League noticing the random villain team-ups were off made me wonder if they've ever encountered a Legion of Doom or Injustice League at some point o_O.

Poor robot Hal...everybody forgot about you after you crashed into that building :sweat:.

So I guess Wonder Woman has apparently always wanted to punch Batman at some point...and even Supreman starts to think he's been tempted :p.

I'm guessing Rachel Kimsey supplied Harley's laughs in this episode? I doubt they got Tara Strong back or re-used sound clips. She actually did a pretty good job on that front ;).

Poor Bane. He makes his debut only it's really just as a mute robot duplicate of himself that the heroes easily take care of :(.

At least Darkseid didn't get one-punched in this episode :rolleyes2:.

"It's Batman!" Hey, at least he's not saying "I'm Batman!" for the umpteenth time :anime:.

So I guess we now have robot duplicates of the Trinity, Cyborg, and Booster floating about in the universe. Maybe they should look into getting different costumes to differentiate themselves from the real versions :)?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

It'll Take A Miracle - Man, I loved this one. This take on Mr. Miracle may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought he made for a really entertaining character in this one, especially playing off Batman. If I had one complaint, it was tat Barda was mainly used here as a captive - but it was cute how she just swings around the (relatively) small Miracle. Cute couple.

System Error - Ingenious plot. If anything, I kinda wish that the official plot synopsis hadn't spoiled it. :p Booster Gold's reaction to the fake Booster was funny stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

R.I.P. Robot Green Lantern.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

Even Mecha-Cyborg can't catch a break.

Like @Frontier said, a simpler, quicker take of the classic Batman episode.

They could just flip their colors.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Justice League Action "System Error"

What a great high concept sci-fi premise! Even better, the robots survived at the end! And yes, Booster, you sound EXACTLY like that. I would not like to have been explicitly made aware of that fact in the manner he just was.

The show uses the most eclectic line-up of villains, until it actually said "Hold on, these team-ups are actually WEIRD." And I love that the show knows that.

Terrific outing. *****.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It'll Take a Miracle! - It's pretty awesome seeing more Jack Kirby stuff on the show. Mister Miracle was a nice guest-star, and I'm glad they referenced his connections to Darkseid and Barda (though I was expecting them to mention they're married).

Batman and Miracle versus the Female Furies (well, some of them anyway) was cool. I liked how easily they got rid of Darkseid the first time around, it was pretty funny. I also thought Miracle hugging Darkseid was hilarious.

All in all, very nice stuff. The Batman and Miracle team-up was handled well enough given the short running time. And it's cool we managed to see at least one episode with Miracle and Barda together.

System Error - The robot versions of the heroes were cool. I liked how they realized they had to stop Darkseid because they feel it's the right thing to do. Makes me wonder if there were any other previous versions created that also reached this point but didn't survive.

Lots of neat gags - Wonder Woman punching Batman was probably my favorite (coupled with Superman hesitating to admit he sometimes wants to do it himself :p)

It was cool seeing Green Lantern for a couple more seconds, and I think the debut of Bane on the show. It was a pretty nice mix of villains, I thought it was kind of random for Darkseid to pick these particular villains.

I agree the synopsis shouldn't have spoiled the fact they're robots. But it's not the first time the official log-lines for these spoil some pretty big events ("Trick or Threat" comes to mind). But other than that, I really enjoyed this episode.

• Agree Agree x 1