"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback, Part II (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 22, 2017.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Use this thread to continue discussing the first season of Justice League Action! Airing Saturday mornings at 7:00AM ET, on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]

The world’s greatest Super Heroes return to television in Justice League Action, an all-new animated series. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman lead the DC Super Heroes against their most infamous foes in adventures packed with relentless thrills, fun and action. Whether defending the Earth, facing invaders from space, or battling the bizarre forces of magic, the always-rotating team of Justice League heroes, are up to any challenge.

Continuing with the most recent episode to premiere in the US:
    Justice League Action "Harley Goes Ape"
    Episode Debut - October 21st, 2017
    Directed by - Shaunt Nigoghossian
    Written by - Paul Dini

When Gorilla Grodd takes control over Titano, only Harley Quinn can reach him.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

Related threads:

- "Justice League Action" Season One Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)
    - "Justice League Action" Animated Webisodes Talkback (Spoilers)
    - "Justice League Action" News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I give props to the show for giving Harley and Joker their own identities outside of their relationship with each other. I mean, they're never appeared in the same episode.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that Joker purse and sketch she was holding up in the flashback is the most we've seen of any connection between the two of them here :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Harley Goes Ape: Great episode. Harley practically replaces Lois with having a connection with Titano from Titano's last animation show appearance. Harley's design is adorable, but she sounds too much like Timmy Turner. Other then the issues with her voice, Harley was fantastic in this episode. From singing to Titano, to telling Stargirl to sing to Titano, to her uncuffing herself and giving Grodd a psyche treatment and promising not to sing to him like she did to Titano. All fantastic.
    Superman's fight with Titano was great as well. I especially liked how he went to one of the Poles to get enough velocity to strike and crack the helmet on Titano's head. And of course it was hilarious with Pa Kent saying "Hi" to Clark during both pass-byes.
    Grodd apologizing to Harley in a civilize way was funny and nice of him. And Stargirl's role was good as well, especially with having to sing and being snagged by Titano.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, BTAS setup the relationship with Harley and Ivy. Seperate from Joker, though can't remember if he just showed up in the beginning.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:00AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Phased and Confused"
    Episode Debut - October 28th, 2017
    Directed by - Jake Castorena
    Written by - Patrick Rieger

The Justice League must find a way to contact Booster Gold after a ray turns them into phantoms.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShadowBeast

Phased and Confused: This one was kind of cringy to watch. If the Leaguers don't keep Booster Gold off of watch-duty after this episode, then they only have themselves to blame for his poorly done performances in the future of doing the task. The part where Booster dressed as Batman, Superman, and Wonderwoman was hilarious though. Especially when Wonderwoman had her fingers crossed on hoping Booster wouldn't go into her outfit (which he did). I bet they put locks on their locker from then on out. The Leaguers thinking about whether to free Booster or not was a nice way to end the episode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1X42 PHASED AND CONFUSED

Considering the subject matter of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman rendered intangible -- basically ghosts, it works out that this episode ended up airing the Saturday before Halloween. Good timing. Or dumb luck. Whatever. :p

Yes, bad things always will happen when Booster Gold is supposed to be on monitor duty. lol. Booster's goofing off scenes were hilarious. Nice callback with Blvd Brawlers. Never expected a nod to Risky Business... only to lead to Superman and Wonder Woman snickering about Booster's "I'm Batman" and Batman's reaction. The crank call to Arkham was amusing enough.

Considering last week's short involved several types of Kryptonite, it was an interesting caveat in this episode that there are a few pieces of Krypton that didn't turn into Kryptonite. And I guess there was some old mission when a smaller, mobile Phantom Zone Projector was built because if I remember right, in "Field Trip" - Superman had the giant one from Krypton in the Fortress of Solitude.

And well, a "kneel before Zod" was gonna happen sooner or later. :D Dug the different angles/POVs used during the fight scenes. Nice touch. One gripe I have is when their arms go intangible, Batman says he can't alert anyone in that condition. Probably the most hi-tech facility in the world and no voice activated failsafes in place? Everything is tactile?

With that, here we are with 10 episodes left in season one. Where did the time go

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Justice League Action "Harley Goes Ape!"
    David Sobolov was a great casting choice as Gorilla Grodd. I actually think he's better than both Powers Booth and John Dimaggio.

Harley was hit and miss. While she has the right design, her voice is super annoying, even for her. I liked her calling Stargirl Powerpuff though, as well as her turning into Grodd's therapist at the end.

This episode shows an essential Titano theme: He is an innocent. He didn't ask for this, and isn't actually looking to hurt anyone. Harley's rage at the cops opening fire on him was shared by me.

Laughed at Jonathan Kent's "Hi Clark!" / "Bye Clark!". Good to know Pa Kent is alive and kicking in this continuity.

Fun episode, but a little of Harley goes a long way. ***.

Justice League Action "Phased And Confused"

Booster Gold is pretty much useless.

Diana's all, "Don't put on my costume. Don't put on my costume." And then he puts on her costume. Because of course he does. Weirdo.

Diana and Clark totally know Batman sounds like that. It IS Diedrich Bader doing Booster after all.

Bad things? Huge gripe. Huge. If you are going to do a "Risky Business" parody of Booster in the Batman costume, it means you have to pay for the music rights to "Old Time Rock And Roll." It just does not work otherwise. And I find there are very things on this show worth complaining about. That's definitely one of them.

Diana thinking Booster would eventually realize you aren't supposed to eat things off the floor is her giving him too much credit. He's easier to trick than James Woods on Family Guy. "Ooo! Piece of candy!"

Pretty amusing for what it was. ***.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was nice seeing Zod and his minions again. The episode works pretty well as a follow-up to "Field Trip". And it's cool Superman had a bigger role this time, even if he was basically a phantom for most of the episode. The fight scenes were pretty awesome, especially the last one between the Trinity and the evil Krpytonians.

Booster was pretty amusing throughout the story but it does seem like they're going out of their way to show how dumb he can be. when compared to his first appearance in "Time Out". But he's still an entertaining character - messing around while on monitor duty, dressing up as the Trinity or making prank calls to Arkham.

Plus, a "Kneel before Zod" quote. :D All in all, pretty good episode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was nice to see Zod, Faora, and Not!Non again, and to finally get to see Zod and Superman go toe-to-toe :cool:.

The fight sequence between the Kryptonians and the Trinity was a pretty cool and dynamic fight sequence, though with how powerful the Kryptonian's were it's no wonder the League has to keep them in the Phantom Zone :eek:.

I know they'd get in a "Kneel Before Zod" at some point, so I'm just glad they showed restraint and didn't do it in Zod's first appearance ;).

I'm guessing Booster must use his Justice League time as a break from when he's not solving time problems, because that's the only way I can make sense of how much of a goof and idiot he is in other episodes compared to his portrayal in "Time Out" :sweat:.

I expect all those costumes Booster wore are going to be burned pretty quickly :p.

I noticed Red Tornado (?) and GL's lockers in the close-up, but could anyone make out all the lockers on the left side o_O?

I guess if Booster's prank call was good for anything it's confirming Poison Ivy is still in custody at Arkham (for now) :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 3
  12. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Ex-Tyrant

This would've been tough to resolve if they had someone perceptive and dutiful to work with.

"Uh, let me check." That's not reassuring.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It looks to me like Superman, Batman, Red Tornado, Green Lantern and Green Arrow (I think) on the right side, and Firestorm (or Atom), Zatanna & Wonder Woman on the left. I can't make out what that last symbol is (maybe Hawkman?).
    jlal.png

I didn't realize at first Batman's locker was open when Booster got there. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That does look like Hawkman's red hawk symbol at the end there :).

And of course Zee's logo would be a top hat (and thank goodness Booster didn't try her costume on ) :p.

I think that might be Atom's logo instead of Firestorm's since it looks like Ray's sub-atomic effect, though their logos would probably be very similar :sweat:.

Pretty out-of-character for Batman to leave his locker open and unattended :rolleyes2:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:00AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "It'll Take a Miracle!"
    Episode Debut - November 4th, 2017
    Directed by - Jake Castorena
    Written by - Jeremy Adams

Big Barda's life hangs in the balance when Batman is forced by Darkseid to track down the elusive Mr. Miracle and bring back the anti-life equation he stole from Apokolips.

Comments?

• Like Like x 1
  16. ShadowBeast

It'll Take a Miracle: Loved it. I was expecting Zatanna to show up some point, but that didn't happen. Seems like Mr Miracle is jealous of her acts. Mr Miracle was a bit of a egotistical jerk, but I rather see more of him than Mr Terrific and his ego. Mr Miracle turns a fight between him and Batman vs Granny and her Furies into to an entertaining show for a crowd. Lashina making a bow to the crowd was simply hilarious and my favorite part of the episode. Wasn't a fan of Granny Goodness's voice. Sounded too dead and unmotivated. Batman having Miracle Boom-Tube them out almost felt like a cliffhanger ending, until Batman revealed his sleight of hand.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Another day another episode Darkseid looks completely incompetent at everything he puts his mind to. He's my biggest gripe on this show.

Otherwise great episode, love Mr.Miracle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was definitely an interesting take on Mr. Miracle. They really emphasized him as a theatrical showman, and gave him a bit more of an ego, though all around I'd say he was pretty fun here and had a nice dynamic with Batman as he continually gave the Caped Crusader (and everyone else) the slip :cool:.

Roger Craig Smith also did a good job as Mr. Miracle's voice, conveying the character's flair and style with gusto and even making his more self-centered moments endearing. He also captured the brief glimpses of Scott's softer side quite well :).

Scott having a thing against Zatanna was kind of funny, almost to the point where I want to see them teamed-up at some point just to see what happens :p.

Also kind of fitting to see them reference Zatanna in this episode since her father has more often then not been shown as the person who trained Batman in the escape arts and sleight of hand he employs on a daily basis :harley:.

It was nice to finally get some Female Fury presence on the show, particularly Bernadeth. Usually whenever we get the Furies it's some variant of Lashina, Stompa, and Mad Harriet so it was cool to see Bernadeth take a prominent role and have her deadly blade-wielding showcased to such an extent :evil:.

Lashina taking that bow at the end was a cute character moment :anime:.

I think this might be the only time I've ever seen Scott actually regard Darkseid as an actual father and not just a tyrant who abused him after the switch with him and Orion was made. He even seemed genuinely jealous of the attention Darkseid gave Kalibak, of all things :eek:.

Kind of makes me really curious to see the family dynamic once you throw Orion and Highfather into it...

I was very glad to see them acknowledge Scott and Barda's relationship, since they're one of the most iconic couples of the DC Universe, and that scene with them at the end was really sweet :D.

Although I thought having Barda just be Scott's "girlfriend" was a little silly. Like, why can't they be married? It would've changed virtually nothing about the episode if Scott had said Barda was his wife. It just felt kind of unnecessary to downplay their relationship like that, even if this is a kids show :shrug:.

I'm guessing Scott and Barda's estrangement was because Barda continued the fight against Darkseid with New Genesis while Scott wanted no part of it. Though now that they're back together maybe we'll get Scott and Barda traveling around the world for Scott's shows like in the comics? Maybe even with Oberon in tow ;)?

At this point the only reason I can come up with for why the heroes always take Darkseid out so quickly is because they would never be able to survive a drawn out fight with him.

At least that's the only reason I can come up with where Darkseid still retains his dignity and menace :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ShadowBeast

With her whips, Lashina would make an excellent performer^^.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Justice League Action "It'll Be A Miracle!"

Is Mr. Miracle this much of a Booster Goldish, attention seeking, dumpster fire in the comics? Because he wasn't on JLU. At all. I much preferred that version.

Still, even I will acknowledge JLU Scott would never give Darkseid a bear hug. That was hilarious.

Who was the green Fury with the sword?

I think it would add insult to injury if Scott learned Batman was taught his slight of hand by Zatanna of all people. Small universe.

Speaking of which, how does the World's Greatest Detective not know Big Barda and Scott Free are a thing? Sheesh, Bats. Do some research, whydoncha?

Fabulous episode. ****1/2.

• Like Like x 2