"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 24, 2016.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd like to think his comment was indicating we'd see Lois (and maybe Steve) pop up in the flesh at some point, though that's probably just wishful thinking on my part :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster Active Member

Hey, after five years of being denied the versions of Lois and Clark in the comics that people LIKED rather than the...really depressing New52 versions, like SO depressing, there's still plenty of Vitriol to go around.

Seriously though, its a minor complaint, still love this show. And like I said, for me its mostly the lack of build-up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Ex-Tyrant

This show is about as far from The New 52 as you can get.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:30AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]

Justice League Action "Trick or Threat"

Episode Debut - March 18th, 2017
    Written by - Paul Dini
    Directed by - Doug Murphy

Four kids in Justice League costumes are trick or treating on Halloween when they investigate a spooky house. As dangers befalls them inside, they come to realize that maybe they’re not kids at all, but real Justice Leaguers under a spell.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
    #124 RoyalRubble, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1x13 Trick or Threat

Paul Dini really captured the feel of one of those old House of Mystery-Tales from the Cryptkeeper-EC Comics vibe. Trevor Devall was spot on with how Cain should sound. Even down to the was it real or was it just a story ending? But if you do take it as canon, I guess that means this story takes place before the series since Constantine gets the key for the first time whereas in the 4th episode, the House of Mystery was already his hideout.

Another version of Klarion who wants the Helmet of Fate. Heh. Pretty amusing the candy and toothbrush from trick or treating helped the kid JL out against Klarion. It was nice to see a version of Klarion get his just desserts for once.

Not much to say for this episode but it was fun holiday episode. Hope there's more in store. Pity it didn't sync up with Halloween but... y'know. I wouldn't mind seeing Cain again. Or Abel and the House of Secrets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Good episode, sort of reminiscent of Justice League Unlimited's "Kids Stuff", but I appreciate they went in another direction here and even used a different villain. The House of Mystery was an appropriate setting for a Halloween Special, and it was cool seeing Cain the Caretaker animated (for the first time, I believe).

I liked the designs for the kid Justice Leaguers. The twist about what happened to them was handled pretty well (if only the official episode description didn't spoil it...) And Klarion's plan was decent but it was predictable he wouldn't succeed in obtaining Doctor Fate's helmet. Some nice action scenes and interactions between the characters but I think what I liked the most was the suitably creepy atmosphere the episode had going.

All things considered, a fun Halloween episode. It was neat Dr. Fate made his debut here as well and even played a pretty important role in the story.

Here's the cast list:

Dayci Brookshire - Kid Zatanna
    Lacey Chabert - Zatanna
    Kevin Conroy - Batman
    Trevor Devall - Cain
    Noel Fisher - Klarion the Witch Boy
    Erica Luttrell - Kid Dr. Fate
    Damian O'Hare - Constantine
    Paula Rhodes - Kid Constantine
    Tara Strong - Kid Batman

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I just realized even though this was the main debut of Dr. Fate (there was the cameo in "Play Date"), we didn't learn who his main VA is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Wow, CN. Airing this a bit early in the year, don't you think?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Ex-Tyrant

I think making Cain a neutral observer/narrator was the most interesting aspect of the episode and did indeed connect him to the weird anthology narrators of old.

That toothbrush thing felt like a WHAT moment, where something doesn't make sense even within the rules of the fictional universe. I didn't think it was quite funny enough to work as pure silly humor either.

It's always Halloween somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's always weird when you watch a holiday-themed episode premier nowhere near it's intended holiday, though to this episode's credit it did do a good job of crafting an entertaining and solid Halloween-themed story :).

The kid Justice Leaguers were adorable (which is not something I ever thought I'd say about a 10-year old Constantine or Dr. Fate). I love how Batman was still trying to be a no-nonsense, intimidating, hero despite being a 10-year old, John was still kind of a rapscallion, and Zatanna dealing with having braces :anime:.

The latter, I believe, was actually a reference to a story from Paul Dini's Zatanna run where we got a flashback to Zee getting braces and having to adjust to them :rolleyes2:.

Pretty neat action sequences as we saw the kids adjust to and utilizing their abilities in creative ways to compensate for their younger ages :cool:.

I had a feeling that the kid in a cat costume would end up being Klarion. Though Teekl changing into a, slightly larger then normal, tiger was a bit of a change from the werecat she's usually depicted as :ack:.

I love how they went full-on House of Mystery here, right down to Cain showing up and guiding us through the story, like this was straight out of the classic DC anthology of the same name :D.

I'm guessing Dr. Fate is supposed to be Kent Nelson, what with the blond hair? I'm just going to assume it's Kent until we're told otherwise. Pretty cool seeing him make his debut and get to do some Dr. Fatey things, and obviously the Helmet of Fate proved to have a central role, even if he was stuck as a kid and we never got to actually hear him as an adult. Hopefully a future episode can rectify that ;).

I'm...still not exactly sure how Zatanna removed her braces :sweat:.

Interesting way to end the episode with John getting the key to the House of Mystery, giving him the ownership or connection to it he's traditionally depicted with (and was shown with in Shazam Slam), though I wonder if Klarion is still stuck in there :eek:?

I feel like it's going to be a running gag where people see Batman doing silly stuff and then he just keeps trying to downplay it :p.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #130 Frontier, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  11. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Ex-Tyrant

I just assumed that he'd get off at the next stop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Similar to Justice League Unlimited's "Kids Stuff", this episode had Batman and 3 other heroes (one of them being a lady) turned into kids. And Kid Batman was voiced by Tara Strong, who previously voiced Toddler Batman on Batman: The Brave and the Bold's "The Malicious Mr. Mind!" episode. Just some more random connections I noticed between this and other past shows.

Also related to the voice cast, I find it interesting that all the Kid Justice Leaguers were voiced by girls.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Yoshimickster

My only gripe: NO-Abel, what the heck? Cain and Abel, two of a bloody kind!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

"Kid's Stuff" is getting cited but the monster chase reminded me of that TTG! episode "Halloween"

• Like Like x 3
  15. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

For whatever reason CN's official tweets act like this show is on at primetime. Unless by tonight they meant on the app.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a fun episode (I'm actually glad they didn't wait until October to air it; we've waited long enough).

The JL as kids were amusing, especially Constantine. Klarion was also far less annoying here than in YJ. It was probably the voice. :p

Regarding toothbrush gag that everyone was talking about...*shrugs* I mean, this whole episode dealt with magic, so that small moment didn't feel all that out of place.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

This show really knows how to mix the comedy with the action. As soon as Klarion revealed that he was a familiar face, I knew right away it was him. The way he talked reminded me of the version from Batman the Animated Series. The kids actually being the heroes was surprising in a very good way. And how they acted as kids was very entertaining. CN should consider airing this show more often.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Yoshimickster

If they got the full rights and it weren't as expensive to make, they probably would. Thanks a lot Time Warner office politics.

19. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

What do you mean full rights?

20. Yoshimickster

Cartoon Network only owns part of the rights to any DC-related show they produce, so they don't make as much money. The reason Teen Titans Go is aired so much is that its so cheaply produced it can't NOT be profitable. This is also why the surge of straight to DVD DC movies have come up in years, as its easier than getting a show off the ground and proper airtime on Cartoon Network.

I'm hoping JLA has a long airtime, but people have used the facade of bad ratings before to cancel TV shows, despite their general inaccuracy in current years. I also know it sounds ridiculous since they are both owned by Time Warner, but ultimately they are two different companies with their own agendas.

#140 Yoshimickster, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.