1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 24, 2016.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

It's been so long since I've seen those shorts that I forgot about that one. Thanks for the reminder!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Really fun episode. I also wasn't familiar with Space Cabbie before this (someone I was watching with thought it was Jimmy Olsen at first, lol), but he seems like a cool enough character (and you have to admire a guy who has a whole portfolio of photos he took with various heroes.

Looks like karma caught up with Lobo for betraying his partner. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I admit, that moment Superman came in and Cabbie had unkempt hair and his hat off, I instantly thought "Jimmy!?" :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember when low-resolution character designs from the show started appearing online, before its premiere and we were trying to figure out who this was. I think it was a toss-up between Jimmy Olsen and Space Cabbie. Or maybe even the Riddler.

Funny how even after seeing a high-quality image of him, he still looks like Jimmy. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #24 RoyalRubble, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:30AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Nuclear Family Values"
    Episode Debut - January 28th, 2017
    Written by - Paul Dini
    Directed by - Doug Murphy

Firestorm encounters the Nuclear Family, a misguided group of robots who resemble a ‘50’s sitcom family. They intend on blowing up a nuclear power plant in order to create a home where no one can touch them and they hope to use Firestorm’s power to help them.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Nice introductory episode for Firestorm. The explanation of how he became Firestorm however seemed tacked on and didn't flow well with the story.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's actually kind of cool that, while the Trinity did show up in this episode, it was predominantly focused on Firestorm saving the day on his own rather then seeing him team-up with Superman, Batman, or Wonder Woman. It showcases JLA's ensemble focus well and allowed for a pretty good showcase of Firestorm's character and abilities :cool:.

I really liked the show's take on Firestorm here, and they got the Ronnie/Stein dynamic down pretty well. P.J Byrne, best known for Bolin on The Legend of Korra, was great as Ronnie here, capturing the character's youth and enthusiasm very well, and while he's no Victor Garber Stephen Tobolowsky captures Professor Stein's intellectual and seasoned contrast to Ronnie quite astutely :).

I also like how, despite his youth, Ronnie was pretty effective with the use of his powers here and was able to take plenty of initiative without needing Professor Stein to tell him what to do all the time. The show was also able to get really creative with Firestorm's transmutation powers in a way that you can't get on a show like Legends of Tomorrow, which was pretty awesome :D.

I wonder if Firestorm and Blue Beetle are going to eventually bond over the fact that people keep thinking they talk to themselves all the time :p?

I think this is the first time we've seen the classic Ronnie Raymond/Professor Stein Firestorm in animation since the old Super Friends and Super Powers Team shows on ABC, and that was way back in the 80's :eek:.

Is there a reason Professor Stein looks so different in the flashback to his and Ronnie's origin compared to when he's a head on Ronnie's shoulder? Maybe it's because his eyes are now fully-open o_O?

I just love that Professor Stein can somehow just pop out a diagram out-of-nowhere like he's a computer :anime:.

Only a DC cartoon, particularly one in the vein of Brave and the Bold, could take a concept so obscure and ridiculous as the Nuclear Family and actually play them as legitimate threats. Though watching Firestorm fight a bunch of 60's family-themed nuclear-powered androids and their robot dog in bathing suits was really surreal :rolleyes2:.

You know you've done good when Wonder Woman is praising your compassion. Not that JLA Wonder Woman has really shown much in the way of compassion to anyone yet :sweat:.

A "so-so" from Batman is still high praise indeed given Batman's absurdly high standards ;).

Setting aside production continuity and just going from the episodes released so far in the US, it's interesting to see that the League on this show, as big as it is, is still expanding with new heroes. First we see Shazam join at the end of Shazam Slam, and now Firestorm is offered membership at the end of this episode :proud:.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode though I didn't find it as fun as last week's. Still, it was an enjoyable adventure and introduction to this show's version of Firestorm. I liked his design and characterization here. His dynamic with Professor Stein was nice and even though there were a couple of moments where he got a little annoying, I think Firestorm is a pretty cool addition to the show. It was especially cool seeing him use his powers, with some pretty unique results.

The villains were decent, a little too silly of a concept but unsurprisingly the Nuclear Family is from the comics as well. I never heard of them before this but they fit nicely considering the setting of the episode. Their plan was interesting, and similarly, their family dynamics were pretty enjoyable to watch. Plus, despite their silliness they proved to be much more dangerous than one might think.

Interesting how this was basically Firestorm's episode. A nice contrast to the typical team-up aspect the show had before this and will most likely continue to do in the future. I don't really mind, I think Firestorm proved he can carry a story by himself. The flashback to his origin was a little out of place but I guess they needed to explain his origin for the viewers. It didn't take me too much out of the story so it was harmless enough.

Also interesting how the episode ended with the Justice League offering Firestorm a place on the team. With how many characters the show is supposed to feature I expected him to already be a member, so that was a pretty nice surprise. And in a way, it is reminiscent of the old Super Friends cartoons, where they also had an episode about Firestorm joining (albeit with a completely different plot, featuring Darkseid).

Overall, another entertaining episode of the show. It's cool they're using the original Ronnie Raymond / Martin Stein version of Firestorm. The show seems to have a nice mix of classic and more modern characters.

Some random thoughts:
    - Batman mentioned at the beginning how no one can get a hold of the Flash, Green Lantern was in another galaxy (hopefully we'll see these two in action soon!) and that Martian Manhunter is on Mars. I think it's cool how they're mentioning other members of the League and what they're up to, even if we don't actually see them.
    - That flashback showing Firestorm's origin - Professor Stein's design kind of reminded me of the Ventriloquist from The New Batman Adventures. Also, the thieves responsible for Firestorm's creation looked like members of Ra's al Ghul's Society of Shadows (also from the DCAU).
    - I wonder if "The Heat is On!" was inspired by the Human Torch's "Flame On!" battle-cry. :p
    - Funniest part of the episode for me had to be Batman's compliment towards Firestorm's work.

And here's the cast list:

PJ Byrne - Firestorm
    Kevin Conroy - Batman
    Melissa Disney - Mom / Brat
    Rachel Kimsey - Wonder Woman / Sis
    Jason J. Lewis - Superman / Biff
    Kevin Shinick - Dad
    Stephen Tobolowsky - Professor Stein

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Martian Manhunter being on Mars made me curious because I wonder what he's doing there, given he's the last Martian? Is that where he lives when not on missions?

Does he not have an Earth identity as John Jones?

Does the green Martian society still exist in this universe, ala Young Justice?

Was he fighting White Martians o_O?

• Like Like x 3
  10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I thought this was good. The chemistry between Ronnie and Professor Stein was the highlight, though I don't think a flashback was necessary. I didn't get much out of the villains. The hero-villain connection that they were setting up felt undercooked.

He was on holiday.

• Like Like x 2
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

On a related note, I wonder if we'll see Ronnie and Professor Stein fuse in any future episodes or if he's "stuck" in Firestorm mode. Mainly I'm curious how the show will handle the heroes' civilian identities in general.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, their civilian forms at least have designs, as per the flashback ;).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1x6 Nuclear Family Values

FIRESTORM

A great stand alone story. It's good to see that not every hero is a member of the Justice League yet and we get to see some of them at the start of their superhero careers so to speak. With Firestorm, he was a nice change of pace - an exuberant young rookie paired with a disembodied professor who knows a bunch of science stuff. A nice surprise that they saved Dog from the pool and didn't destroy the Nuclear Family, even helped them find peace at last. The thing I dig about Firestorm is two people of way different backgrounds working together as one superhero. As such, the squirrel plan was hilarious and switching up from defensive force field to radiation absorbing on the fly was rad.

JUSTICE LEAGUE

While it helped shine the spotlight on Firestorm thematically, the idea that not single member of the League could get to the Hudson Nuclear Power Plant in time was rather alarming. Though it does take me back to the last season of Justice League Unlimited, when Mr. Terrific was spreading the team thin around the time of "Patriot Act" during Martian Manhunter's leave of absence. In any case, I guess it is one aspect of realism being used for show in that the heroes simply can't stop every single bad thing going on in the world. For the series as a whole, I wonder if this will come up again but with more devastating consequences.

But gotta love Batman for his honest assessment of other heroes. lmao. Reminded me of when he graded the Team's mission performances in season one of Young Justice.

So they've added Shazam and now Firestorm potentially. Wonder if this is going to be an ongoing trend and/or there will be some heroes who turn them down or some in the League that quit or get kicked out.

NUCLEAR FAMILY

Paul Dini, writer of this episode, the producers, and voice director Wes Gleason did a great job in not denigrating these characters as over the top cliches but were actually sympathetic even though they were going to blow up half a state. They could have been really hammy. Likewise, it was pretty funny they took insult at being called robots and offered up a politically correct term when they themselves are modeled on the stereotypical 1950s nuclear family.

REFERENCES

It was a fun exercise to see what aspects of Firestorm's origin from the comics was retained and what was changed. The site of their origin, the Hudson Nuclear Power Plant was kept. Ronnie was kept a high school student. It was neat Sis referred to his nickname, the Nuclear Man.

Same for the Nuclear Family. Same names and powers. Though in the comics, I think their creator Dr. Eric Shanner was a villain too but they were betrayed and destroyed in a controlled explosion.

I'm not familiar with Hudson in the DCU, but that's the east coast of the USA I think? That overhead shot of the state appeared to New York-ish. And I believe New York was indeed Firestorm's original home base in the comics.

Interesting the members Batman brings up - The Flash, Green Lantern, and Martian Manhunter - along with him, Superman, and Wonder Woman make up most of the classic line up of the League.

Yeah, I don't think they said yet if he's the last Martian or not. I'm leaning towards the Green Martians are still around like on Earth-16.

I'd like to see his powers evolve over the course of the series, maybe later on they'll learn how to separate and fuse or like in the comics split away.

I wondered about that, too. lol.

I think so. The only time Ronnie/Stein appeared in animation was one of the Robot Chicken parodies I think. I believe they intended to use Ronnie/Stein on JLU but couldn't get a good story going.

Might have been SMIP's B-team doing one thing and an A-team doing the other scene.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #33 Yojimbo, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Firestorm was the highlight of the episode; I've always enjoyed the banter between the hot-headed teen and the far more thoughtful professor. Like others have said, the villains didn't do much for me, but I think Firestorm alone kept the episode fun and breezy to watch.

• Like Like x 2
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:30AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Zombie King"
    Episode Debut - February 4th, 2017
    Written by - Paul Dini
    Directed by - Jake Castorena

When Grundy escapes his Louisiana prison, intent on using a magical crystal to raise an army of the dead from their graves, only Batman and Swamp Thing stand in the way of his growing zombie army.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1x7 Zombie King

"Zombie King" was an enjoyable foray into the supernatural. Grundy, zombies, crimson moon, voodoo queen, magic gem, ghouls, Brother Night, Zatanna, Swamp Thing, and Constantine.

I'm grateful they went for the more intelligent version of Solomon Grundy on this show - smart enough to make plans and talk -- and not just be a lackey grunting. And to boot, some high aspirations -- turn the world into zombies and take over as their king. Like last week with Firestorm and Nuclear Family, it was an unexpected move for Grundy to sort of see Swamp Thing as kin, too, and offered him the chance to share the power if he helped destroy humans since both have origins tied to swamps.

Inventive for Swamp Thing's current physical condition, or lack of humanity, to be the winning edge to save the world. Because he's Swamp Thing, that energy wave didn't transform him into a mind controlled zombie like Batman and Zatanna. They could have introduced the humanity sub-plot a bit better than the crying baby he saves in New Orleans. That's about the one criticism I have for this episode. You sort of have to dwell on why didn't get changed by the Star of the Dead.

Batman had some neat toys this episode. The freeze tech from Mr. Freeze and that magnet trap device.

Nice to see Constantine's speech is back to normal, heh. Brother Night, I'm not familiar with at all, and discovered he's a Zatanna villain in the comics. Looking forward to seeing more of him on the show. Zatanna - not that much to write home about - she had some cool spells like the exploding card deck though. The bunny line was amusing, as well.

• Like Like x 3
  17. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Missed the first couple of minutes. Still not on board with Swamp Thing being way too chatty for his own good. Grundy's speech patterns resemble classic savage Hulk from back in the day (i.e. calling Zatanna, "Magic girl"). I guess this is how he's written in the books these days, but he was given better (though not by much) dialogue on Challenge of the Super Friends nearly 40 years ago.

Have to see if Chumptoon Network has the episodes on their site so I can catch up, since they're not replaying the previous week's episode at 7:45 anymore (MORONS!).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Rather ironic, given how that's Fred Tatasciore lending his voice to the character.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode almost felt like a tribute or shout-out to the recent Justice League Dark movie, given we had a good portion of the cast of that film present and the heroes battling a major mystical threat. I was half-expecting Etrigan and Deadman to pop up to have some fun at Mardi Gras along with Batman, Swamp Thing, and Zatanna :proud:.

It's all the more fitting given the physical release of the movie is in 3 days, almost implying there was some kind of synergy at work ;).

So Batman's got a Batwing (and probably a Batmobile) stationed at the Watchtower. I wonder if Wonder Woman leaves her Invisible Jet there on occasion :)?

So the Watchtower isn't that far away from Metropolis? And to think Superman complained about the Hall of Justice being too close for his taste :rolleyes2:.

It's kind of surreal seeing characters like John Constantine, Swamp Thing, and even Brother Night (rewarding those who've read Paul Dini's Zatanna run) showing up in a kids cartoon in such a prominent way, especially given the former two are so closely associated with the more mature and explicit Vertigo lines. I guess it just goes to show that any character can be made kid-friendly :harley:.

Swamp Thing popping out a Justice League communicator from a plant bud is just...so this show :p.

This is probably the most ambitious Solomon Grundy's been depicted as in a real long while. These days he's usually just a dumb thug who talks like a zombified Hulk, all the more ironic now that Fred Tatasciore is effectively his official de-facto voice actor, but here he almost turns the entire world into a zombie planet for him to rule over :eek:.

It was kind of weird to see them touch on Swamp Thing not being human, and how that relates to him being a Superhero, when his characterization here is much more human compared to how he's traditionally depicted. I mean usually he has a kind of eerie feel and a slow speech pattern, but here he acts and talks like your average, quippy, Superhero with abnormal powers o_O.

I understand given the format that the writers don't really have the time to dive too deep into character's backgrounds or personal conflicts, so I guess I can't begrudge them too much for that, and it did at least set-up Swampy being unaffected by the gem's power so he could save the day. That's using you feet Swamp Thing :D.

Batman vs. zombies is the kind of thing you wish we got more of, and it was cool seeing him use a freeze grenade, obviously re-purposed from Mr. Freeze's tech, and that latching magnet bomb :cool:

Zatanna's always fun to have around, and that was certainly true here, especially so with such a striking and attractive design by Shane Glines and Lacey Chabert reprising the mistress of magic. I also really liked the dazzling style and flair the show used to depict Zatanna's magic, leading to some really cool visuals, particularly the stars and sparkle effects for her spells :anime:.

I was wondering if we were going to alternate between Batman and Swamp Thing fighting Grundy with Zatanna and Constantine dealing with Brother Night, but Zee obviously left things to John to help Batman and Swampy. Since they kind of left that plot point hanging, I'm curious to see if it will be continued in a later episode :ack:.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #39 Frontier, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  20. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode, with neat takes on Swamp Thing and Grundy. I'm not all that familiar with Swamp Thing, nor am I his biggest fan, but after doing some research I think the episode did a decent job at portraying him in this cartoon, considering the rather limited amount of time. He seems to be a lot more interesting in the comics, but what we got here wasn't too bad. I liked how they even offered some kind of pay-off to his dilemma about humanity by the end of the story. Plus, a neat parallel between him and the villain of the episode. The way he used his feet to save the day seemed like something Plastic Man would do.

Grundy had a pretty good role as the main antagonist. He had his strength and even some brains this time, not to mention a neat supernatural gimmick to use here. His plan was pretty straightforward but it did lead to some cool scenes - either him trying to persuade Swamp Thing into joining his crusade, or the countless zombies he lead into an entertaining fight against the heroes. My favorite scene was probably Batman using those freeze grenades based on borrowed tech from one of his enemies (can't imagine who he was talking about :p).

It was cool seeing Zatanna on this show as well (not too surprised she makes her debut in an episode scripted by Paul Dini), and I think she used her powers rather well during the climax fight. I'm not really a big fan of Constantine (honestly, the character never really appealed to me) so I didn't mind at all he only had a short cameo this time and instead the episode used Zatanna more. But I wouldn't mind seeing more from him along the way, along with this side-mission villain Brother Night. So far, just about each episode has brought in a character from the comics I never heard of before, and Brother Night was it this time.

All in all, another good episode and as far as I'm concerned this was the most reminiscent of Batman: The Brave and the Bold (more so than "Classic Rock" and "Night of the Bat", which also focused on Batman). Likewise it shares some similarities with the Justice League Dark direct-to-DVD movie, mostly in terms of which characters are present in both adventures.

Here's the cast list, if anyone's curious:

Kevin Conroy - Batman
    Lacey Chabert - Zatanna
    Dan Donohue - Brother Night
    Mark Hamill - Swamp Thing
    Damian O'Hare - Constantine
    Fred Tatasciore - Solomon Grundy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.