"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 24, 2016.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Y'know, I actually had that exact same thought. "Is that Streaky?" :p.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It's funny I'm still so used to seeing the writer/director credit at the start of a DC show and I still forget JLA shows them at the end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Weren't they part of Brave and the Bold's title cards? I seem to remember them being...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I think so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Batman: The Brave and the Bold showed the writer and director after the title card. I think only Batman: TAS had them all listed on their title cards.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:30AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Garden of Evil"
    Episode Debut - June 24th, 2017
    Written by - Paul Dini
    Directed by - Shaunt Nigoghossian

Poison Ivy takes control of Swamp Thing using his vegetative powers to overwhelm Gotham with dangerous plants.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1x25 GARDEN OF EVIL

Okay, back to Gotham. Nice recurring theme of civilians rolling up their windows in Gotham. lol. Rather amusing to consider this all stemmed from a bad blind date.

After a small role in "Plastic Man Saves the World," I was happy to see Vixen get a bigger role. Very hilarious to see her bop Harley in the head like Sonic the Hedgehog. Overall, pretty cool her to use uh non-standard animal powers - armadillo, a puffer fish, a flying squirrel.

Props to Professor Stein coming up with nuclear dehydration. Really liking how they're embracing the classic Martin Stein and really making use of his knowledge. It's as good a super power as any. Like turning a windshield into a marshmallow. I'm not totally versed in his powers, but it was nice to have a limit to his transmutation ability and here it forced him to think on his feet. And turn the Batmobile into the Batmobile Beyond with pruning acruments. lmao.

I've seen a lot of Natasha Leggero's work in stand up and shows on Comedy Central, so I really dug her take on Poison Ivy. Shane Glines did an interesting new take on her design. Her hideout being at the Kanaghier building at Sheldon was a nice nod to her co-creators in the comic, Robert Kanaghier and Sheldon Moldoff. I totally forgot Kanaghier was involved. I always automatically associate him with the war stories. Also, it's a boon that this aired in June as Ivy's first appearance in the comics was an issue that released in June 1966. Pretty hilarious the Justice Leaguers used another tandem attack while they were all mostly caught like in "Luthor in Paradise" to save the day. But how did these guys get anything done before the Justice League was formed? lol.

Pleasant surprise to see Harley have a decent role in this episode and making full use of her acrobatic prowess as well as her gag devices - springs, boxing glove. Harley calling Ivy by her "Red" nickname takes me back to the B:TAS days. Speaking of, wow! Even Bud and Lou got in an appearance. Paul Dini must have had a lot of fun writing this one.

Nice to see a glimpse of the Batcave. Probably a small chem lab and not the whole thing. Unless they're making it small and lo-tech in contrast to the Watchtower. The computer map was another nice confirmation of Gotham being in the Manhattan area. And another Arkham reference. Man, I can't wait to see them do a Arkham story...

The only gripe I had was the plants all retracting all at once just because Ivy lost control when she was covered in Batman's purple gunk. Very 90s solution. Would have loved to see it end with Batman flying off in the Batmobile shredding plants on the way with the Beyond theme playing.

Schmoopie. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I don't know if that's the same gal who voiced Vixen before; anyway much as I love Tara Strong I feel like she just got worse at voicing Harley Quinn since Arkham Knight and more recently Injustice 2. She is a good choice for the character, but I wish they gave her better direction like in Arkham City or Gods and Monsters.

Also minor tangent, but Hyenas are not afraid of Lions Mari! If anything they'd be more afraid of elephants or rhinos.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Gladiator

Firestorm's powers are so broken. I like him, but I kinda wish they'd spread his episodes out a bit more or use him more sparingly.

This is off subject, but I wonder if Ronnie and Jaime ever exchange notes over the whole "guiding voices" thing.

That's true, but lions are more dramatic and kids will understand this, so lions it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I like that we seem to fairly equally switch off from Gotham and Metropolis each episode, setting aside the episodes that take place in space, on the Watchtower, Fortress of Solitude, or Themyscria ;).

I can't help but wonder how the heck Swamp Thing ended up on a blind date with Poison Ivy that led to the events of this episode. It seemed planned enough in advance that Firestorm knew about it, but how did it happen? Do Swamp Thing and Poison Ivy have dating profiles? Did someone (Harley) set them up? Is Abigail Arcane nowhere in the picture in Swamp Thing's life :sweat:?

Firestorm acting all buddy-buddy with Swamp Thing was neat. I can't say they have much in common other then both being elementals in their own right, but it's interesting seeing unlikely friendships/relationships forming among the League :).

It was really cool seeing Vixen get more of a spotlight here, as well as more actual dialogue, and getting to see some really cool uses of her animal abilities and a neat variety of animal sprits against Harley Quinn was a real treat :anime:.

It was nice to get a glimpse of the Batcave, even if we really didn't get to see it that much. The most I can say about it is that it's...dark? In another notable Bat-themed debut, I'm pretty sure this episode saw the first use of the Bat-Cuffs :cool:.

I thought Poison Ivy was a lot of fun in this episode. I wasn't sure what Natasha Leggero's Ivy would sound like, but I think she did a great job of injecting a lot of personality into the role and conveying Ivy's diva plant goddess personality quite well. And Poison Ivy trying to to overthrow humanity with plants while preparing to marry Swamp Thing just feels so Ivy :D.

I also really liked Shane Gline's character design for Ivy in this. It's certainly a tad different from the norm as far as Ivy's looks are concerned, while definitely not downplaying her attractiveness or femininity, but I like how it evokes the feel of a Film Noir Femme Fatale, which feels very fitting :proud:.

I also thought it was a pretty strong showing for Ivy overall as she managed to overrun Gotham and keep a contingent of the Justice League on the ropes for most of the episode, with some obvious help from Swamp Thing and Harley of course ;).

Conversely it was also cool seeing how much of a team effort it took on the League's part to subdue her powers :cool:.

It was nice to see Harley get more of a spotlight in this episode compared to her debut, on-top of getting to see the classic Harley and Poison Ivy team in animation again. Harley being her zany self with all her joke weapons and jumping around against the Justice League was also quite fun to watch :harley:.

For a second there I thought Harley was using Ivy's attack as a distraction to spring Joker from Arkham, but I should've figured she was freeing Bud and Lou given they were at the Gotham Zoo. But I actually really liked that twist, especially since it gave us a nice gag with Vixen :anime:.

Though it is kind of weird to think that Harley was in an episode alongside a character voiced by Mark Hamill...except it wasn't the Joker :eek:!

When was the last time Harley and Joker's hyena's popped up in a cartoon? The Batman? Good to see them again though :evil:.

I also thought that was really nice (though I didn't know this was airing in the same month as her debut :eek:), and it reminded me of the Arrowverse with all their street corners named after comic creators :anime:.

You do have to wonder how Batman was ever able to beat Ivy on his own, though at least now he has a new vehicle, courtesy of Firestorm, that should make their future encounters a little easier ;).

I honestly think we're due an Arkham episode featuring all the Bat-villains who we've seen so far (Joker, Harley, Two-Face, Ivy) just to see them again and watch how they bounce off and deal with one another :p.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

...I don't recall Poison Ivy's powers being THIS extreme.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, it's not that far off from how crazy her powers have gotten in the comics :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It was still Jasika Nicole.

As far as the hyena-lions thing goes, I'm pretty sure it depends how many of each group are around in a territory. If there's one lioness guarding a kill and 5 hyenas. Of course, the hyenas would raid the kill. If the whole pride was there, it would be another story.

Upon further viewing, I noticed kind a subtle artsy theme going. From Ivy's character design, saying she wanted to turn Gotham into a post-modern Garden of Eden, and at the end with Batman liking the new Batmobile and Firestorm not getting it -- art is subjective or one guy liking abstract art, the other guy sees a trash compactor.

I want to say an b.g. artist posted an exterior design of it some time ago or I could be mixing things up.

• Like Like x 2
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's pretty awesome how much stuff they managed to squeeze into "Garden of Evil". More from Vixen and Harley, Poison Ivy's debut, some neat interactions between Swamp Thing and Firestorm, and some good action scenes like this show usually has, which made this episode very entertaining.

I thought the blind date between Swamp Thing and Poison Ivy was a bit odd. Not sure how that happened in the first place and they didn't really dwell too much on that either. Still it kind of makes sense I suppose and it did get things to move along nicely.

The controlled Swamp Thing was pretty cool, I liked how the other heroes had a hard time fighting him. Just goes to show you how powerful he is. Plus, some more comical scenes with him trying to resist Ivy's mind control. His revived form with those horns kind of reminded me of Trigon. I'm not the biggest Swamp Thing fan but I like how the show is using him.

Firestorm was handled well enough. I liked how Professor Stein had to explain to Ronnie that Swamp Thing was being controlled, and came up with a solution to defeat him. Pretty funny seeing him and Swampy apparently being buddies since I don't remember them interacting that much on the show prior to this. Making fun of his blind date and the "schmoopie" pet name was pretty hilarious. The new and improved Batmobile was cool, it should be fun to see if they actually use it again in future episodes.

It was great seeing more from both Vixen and Harley after some minor scenes in past episodes. Both used their powers, abilities and equipment rather nicely. I wasn't expecting them to end up fighting each other, so that was a cool bonus. Seeing Bud and Lou the hyenas was just the icing on the cake.

Poison Ivy was a decent antagonist. I really liked her design here, and thought she looked pretty cute even after she was covered with Batman's antidote. Her plan was pretty good I guess but she seemed a little too crazy at times. Still, it was fun. In a way it was kind of similar to how she used her plants to attack the world back on Young Justice.

All in all, a pretty great episode. It was nice seeing Harley and Ivy working together. A nice flashback to Batman: TAS, which shouldn't be all that surprising given this was written by Paul Dini. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Perhaps a subtle jab at how people never look like their profile pic. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Regarding Arkham, there is this background art for it online. I guess it could have been a deleted scene from "Double Cross" considering the other two settings are from that episode, but we'll see eventually.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Boy, Batman must park the Batmobile at the entrance and walk the villains inside. No way it can make those turns. :p

• Like Like x 2
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's interesting to see Batman building a kind of rapport with Firestorm over the course of the series, starting from their team-up in "Freezer Burn" to Batman using Ronnie in "Double-Cross" and even complimenting Firestorm's work on the Batmobile :).

I imagine Firestorm probably reminds him a lot of Robin ;).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe that's why he liked so much the upgrades Firestorm made to the Batmobile. :p

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.