1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League Action" News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 31, 2017.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

How is the merch for this series handled? I saw it advertised in some restaurant which I forget, but I don't know where else.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

What I liked is that the show tried something different. When people complain about too much Batman, this show gave us Batman that was different. A different animation style, sidekick, villains, etc. You say the show bombed, but it seemed to get a mostly positive response from viewers (not people who hated on the show without watching it) and the ratings were really good. The only bomb was the way Cartoon Network treated it.

WB did give CN what they wanted, but CN is known for making confusing choices so we really have no idea what will happen with the show.
    That's a good question since I don't see much Justice League Action merchandise anywhere. That being said, I haven't checked any toys, clothes, or books to see if they're around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The problem still is GL:TAS and Beware are CG shows and too expensive to make in the long run. It would have to be a short order revival like we're seeing with X-Files, Prison Break, 24 etc -- but even shorter because of cost. Justice League Action is somewhere between a regular series and TTG!, imo. TTG! costs the least because of format and I think in-house/U.S. animating whereas JLA still ships overseas to South Korean studios I believe.

Action does have those Mattel figures and phone game so far. Happy Meal in the past I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

I've seen commercials for it on TV. I haven't seen how they're displayed in a toy store though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SFSnaggle

SFSnaggle Member

The Wal-Marts & Targets near me have a fair amount of JLA toys in stock so hopefully they do well enough to keep the show going at least 3 seasons.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

I do think it's a bit early to worry about JLA. Even if it goes, at least it has 52 episodes on its belt. That's a good number, even if it's by technicality, and we still haven't seen a good portion of the season. Plus, yes, it has been better supported than Green Lantern and Beware.

I might be wrong about this, but wouldn't the opposite be true? Since all the assets for those shows are already built and can be reused, they wouldn't need as much money, as opposed to a 2D/traditionally animated show. I remember Jim Krieg himself hinted at this. Starting a CGI show is definitely expensive, but continuing it is probably not as much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Isn't that only true if the show uses the same characters, objects, places exclusively not one that frequently visits new places and people?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

The Nick TMNT series is all CG and they said they re-use sets and character models because it saves money. The Nick Ninja Turtles cartoon will have 124 episodes by the time it ends, so I can't see how it was that expensive if they made over 100 episodes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Ninja Turtles makes money hand over fist, every Turtles cartoon has made over 120 episodes while the longest running Batman cartoon only made 85 episodes, and none have gone past 65 since then. So despite Batman being big clearly no Batman show was ever making Turtles money. If any franchise could afford the expense of a CG series it is Ninja Turtles. And let's not forget that both Green Lantern and Beware the Batman could not get a toy line made. So even if they had a quarter of the budget of a regular show they still would've gotten cancelled.

While I'd imagine reusing assets would cut down on the some expenses of reviving the CG cartoons WB probably wouldn't do it regardless of the cost involved. As much as I loved both shows they probably aren't going to be considered for revival because they weren't that successful in the first place. For the new Digital Service they will want series that'd bring the fans in, and those two shows weren't that popular when they first aired let alone right now.

We only just found out about this new service yesterday, there's no way to guess at what will happen. The service has to be successful before it can revive more shows.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This. YJ was massive. I remember the floods and floods of discussion and speculation it got, along with fan-fiction, fan-art, and Tumblr posts (and these things continued years after season 2 aired). It's no wonder it was considered popular enough to revive; the fanbase is still alive and well.

Compared to that, GL and Beware in the first place never seemed to get as much attention, and you don't hear much about them anymore online; their fanbases have moved on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It makes sense that Young Justice would be revived out of those three shows. It's easily the most popular out of the bunch and the lack of a decent sense of closure would potentially make fans demand a continuation more than the others. I still haven't seen all of Beware the Batman yet, which I really should do one of these days, but Green Lantern had a pretty nice sense of closure with its ending despite being one season long. Even so, it's still such a shame because I liked Green Lantern a lot more than Young Justice, at least by season two, and Beware the Batman was starting to get more interesting around the time it moved to Toonami. You could maybe get enough people interested in Green Lantern to make its revival work, especially when it was better received than Beware the Batman was, but I doubt either one would be revived anytime soon.

I haven't really kept up that much with this series. It's decent from what I have seen, but more in a "I'll watch it if there's nothing else on" kind of way rather than seeking it out. I haven't seen much promotion for it on Cartoon Network since it started, so that could be a red flag right there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. the greenman

Some of the animation has been iffy for me on this series. I haven't seen alot of eps, but yeah I'm not seeking it out. Then tbatb was like that at first too.

13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's a very stylized show, but I think that works to it's benefit more then anything else, coupled with strong and fun writing :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

According to Zap2It, "Plastic Man Saves the World" airs on May 6th:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Warner Archive gives a coy reply about a Blu-ray release.

It appears CN changed their minds AGAINs.

Initially it was
    • April 29: Luthor in Paradise
    • May 6: Rage of the Red Lanterns
    • May 13: Freezer Burn
    • May 20: Plastic Man Saves the World
    • May 27: Field Trip
    Now it's so far shaping to be
    • April 29: Field Trip
    • May 6: Plastic Man Saves the World
    • The rest: TBA (schedule maybe released Friday)
    I wouldn't be surprised if they wait to air "Luthor in Paradise" on June 3, the first weekend for the live action Wonder Woman movie. That 'ol corporate synergy talking.

• Informative Informative x 4
    #115 Yojimbo, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  16. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Cartoon Network and Warner Bros. Animated has released two clips from the forthcoming "Field Trip" episode, which Cartoon Network states is airing Saturday, April 29th at 7:30am (ET/PT). Check out the clips in the players below.

• Like Like x 4
  17. the greenman

That sounds good. I might have to buy and binge, cause right now it seems I don't have time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A Blu-Ray release would be nice. More JLA promotion on the digital service wouldn't be bad either ;).

I was wondering if they would do something for the movie, so moving "Luthor in Paradise" to the movie's premier weekend makes sense :).
    I feel like we skipped a Stargirl solo episode, given Firestorm and Blue Beetle got their own League induction episodes :sweat:.

Bad cat! Bad :mad:!

I'm guessing Zod is the lean one? Jason Lewis definitely seems to be channeling his inner Terrence Stamp here :cool:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be the smart thing to do but...

Totes. But there's still a chunk of episodes for her to shine hopefully.

The payoff is worth it. #cryptic

He's the one with hair. The burly one is a bit of an obscure Kryptonian.

EDIT: Can anyone verify what's aired overseas in your country?
    22 Double Cross: Aired in Canada?
    23 Battle for the Bottled City: Aired in UK?

24 Say Orange
    25 Booray for Bizarro: from Schlatter tweet
    26 Garden of Evil: Aired in France?
    27 All Aboard the Space Train: Aired in France?
    28 The Trouble with Truth: Aired in France?
    29 Inside Job: Aired in France?

30 Night of Fear
    31 Golden Shot
    32 Hugo Strange!!!
    33 Fast Run
    34 The Ringer
    35 Forget Me Not: by Jeremy Adams

36 Gorilla Island
    37 Claws of Cheetah: Sounds fake since Shane said they only designed her for title sequence
    38 Cold Heart
    39 Hands of Abra!
    40 Enter the Darkseid!
    41 Fatal Fare (listed Norway)

• Like Like x 1
    #119 Yojimbo, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  20. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's pretty cool if they'll do some sort of tie-in for the live-action movie, but at the same time it makes me wonder if "Luthor in Paradise" is the only big Wonder Woman-centric episode the show will have. Hopefully there will be more later on and we'll get some kind of marathon or something of Justice League Action episodes in November...

Yeah, some of those and especially "Claws of Cheetah" sound fake to me as well. I imagine they could come up with more unique titles than those. I saw them on Wikipedia a while ago but ignored them for those reasons and because of the site's reputation (they also list Stephen Tobolowsky as voicing Non in "Field Trip", when that character isn't even Non to begin with).

"The Ringer" is true, I remember Shane Glines mentioned the title before (I think it was when he posted Atom's design).

I'm pretty sure "Battle for the Bottled City" aired in the UK since members from there talked about it in the last thread.

I have also seen an episode titled "Fatal Fare" listed as airing next month on the Nordic version of Cartoon Network. Going by the title, I'm guessing it will feature Space Cabbie.

• Like Like x 2
    #120 RoyalRubble, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017