"Justice League Action" News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think if CN doesn't want the show or is at all interested in renewing it, WB/DC should definitely consider moving it to online streaming.

It would just be such a monumental shame to cut the show short after one season and plenty of shorts, especially when it feels like there's so much more they can still do if given a chance :(.

I wouldn't even mind if they keep producing shorts after this batch, but I doubt there's probably much incentive in keeping those up other then giving the DCKids Youtube channel something to post :sad:.

• Like Like x 1
    #481 Frontier, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Each title is a link to each episode/webisode. You can tell because it's in red.

Don't they release bunches of episodes for every show on their network at the start of the month?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

True, I just found it conspicuous that they released new episodes along with all the Webisodes :ack:.

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I suppose, but on the flip side they're somehow able to post the DC Super Hero Girls shorts in bunches even though they play only a TV special one or two days in the year. I will add, I'm glad they posted the JLA webisodes because like DCSHG they come with the end credits in CN's version.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think that releasing the episodes online and on their On Demand section is necessarily a bad sign. I'm pretty sure that they put premieres of other shows On Demand before they air on TV too. That being said, their treatment of the series in general doesn't make me think that they'd be interested in a second season. I'm not sure why they didn't try to promote the series more. It's a more light hearted/comedic Justice League series, so you'd think that would be right up Cartoon Network's alley.

Even if Cartoon Network doesn't renew it for a second season, I think that there could be a decent chance of getting more episodes on DC's streaming service. It could provide a bit more incentive to get people to join the service and having more new content besides Young Justice could help with that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

The least CN could do is give it multiple repeats during the weekend. But they don't even do that. It's like they want the series to fail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

I wonder how many of the final (season 1) episodes were written by Paul Dini. I could certainly see "Party Animal" and "Unleashed" being two of his scripts, based on the crazy hijinks suggested by both synopses!

I'm also eager to know whether the "Clown Party" short features Joker and Harley together.

Would love to see the whole Marvel Family in "Captain Bamboozle" but I doubt it will happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Their treatment of the series has been questionable to say the least. Outside of maybe when it just started, I haven't seen a lot of promos for the series and the lack of repeats is noticeable too. I'm not sure if they wanted the series to fail so much as they showed little to no interest in it right away, which still seems weird to me. It isn't as comedic as TTG, but it still is more light-hearted than other DC shows they've aired in the past and there isn't an on-going storyline as far as I can tell. It's just short adventures featuring various DC characters for eleven minutes, most of which have been pretty entertaining to watch in my opinion. One would think that would make it really easy for them to throw in some repeats during their usual schedule.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Almost a year later I'm still puzzled on why CN doesn't rerun this show like a few of their other cartoons. Hell it's easier to do than Steven Universe because that show has plot based episodes now. Just one of those things we'll never get a solid answer too.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ObserveCreative11

ObserveCreative11 New Member

Gotta be my favorite moment from the "Watchtower Tours" episode. Mark Hamill was hilarious in that one: had to do so little and yet it was all effective and worked within that particular storyline's demands. I will miss this show... hopefully it gets Season 2 or, perhaps, a continuation of sorts through their 'releasing even shorter episodes' format.

11. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Exactly. The show fills the criteria of being comedic and formulaic with no big story to tell so they can air the show out of order with no trouble.
    Maybe CN considers it too intelligent for kids (as in not being dumb-down and silly enough)?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, they seem to always have a new reason not to promote the latest DC toon. Young Justice, Beware the Batman, and now this.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. J-Lew

J-Lew New Member

Hey all! I just wanted to stop by and say I read these threads and really can't tell you how much I have appreciated and continue to appreciate your support of our show. We still don't know what the future holds for JLA, there is always a possibility of a 2nd season, but I won't speculate here as to how or when that might happen. But I do know a groundswell of 'Young Justice' like support wouldn't hurt. Thanks for getting the word out as much as you have, and also how much you all seem to truly 'get' what we're doing with the show. Please say hi anytime and hope I can actually meet some of you out on the con circuit :) All the best,
    Jason J. Lewis - Superman

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Holy crud! Jason J. Lewis :eek:!

Mr. Lewis, if you don't mind, I would just like to welcome you to Toonzone and congratulate you on all the great work you do on the show and all the characters you've brought to life (and that extends to the rest of the JLA cast and crew) :).

You do a great Man of Steel, and I hope we get to hear more of you as Superman or in DC Animation going forward (hopefully as a continuation of Justice League Action) :D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Justice League Action “Party Animal”
    I don’t like this Grundy as much as Justice League’s version, but they got the essentials right.

Fred Tatasciore is an obvious casting choice, but I prefer Mark Hamill simply because he is not. Hamill’s performance surprises you with the amount of range and soulfulness involved.

As first, I was like “They’re getting Grundy wrong!” He’s not the type of dude who likes scaring children, or worse as Batman says “A soulless creature”. The whole shtick of “The Terror Beyond” was that Grundy was searching for a soul and he had one all along. But then he apologizes to the girl at the end and gives her a teddy bear. And suddenly this show gets Grundy after all.

I love Batman’s “Sleds don’t talk.” What an amazing quip and way to shut up Plastic Man. Indeed.

I like that Green Arrow’s secondary concerns seemed to be the danger Grundy posed, and he was more worried about the office politics of how well his Christmas party was going compared to Star Labs. This version of Oliver Queen is a bit desperate to be loved, and I find that quite funny.

Great episode. ****1/2.
    Justice League Action “Watchtower Tours”
    The idea of a bunch of alternate timeline Booster Golds having a team-up schedule was unbearably cool. Even Joker was impressed. And he’s a Batman villain!

I especially like that Joker is the one innocent person on the tour. Even Batman didn’t quite know what to make of that idea.

I love that the episode ultimately turns out to be a team-up between Toyman, Booster Gold, Joker, and Granny Goodness. Granny Goodness’ disdain was shared by me. “What? I’m barely wearing a disguise.”

I love Toyman confessing he only made the force field impenetrable because he was crazy. That’s sometimes all the reason a person needs.

This episode was so much fun. *****.
    Justice League Action “Barehanded”
    Aya! Her appearance here raised so many questions for me. Exactly what continuity IS this? And is the Aya seen in this episode from the Green Lantern: The Animated Series Universe? SO many unanswered questions.

Alien Mama is a great name for a band.

It seems lucky to me that alien was not a mother and kid, because it strikes me as the absolutely worst idea to stick your hand down a strange baby’s throat in a gas station. The mother would kill you for that. Honestly, that move was so bad, having the alien be a warrior didn’t make it seem any less horrible of an idea.

Pretty good, but my opinion of Green Lantern was severely lowered by that. ***.
    Justice League Action “Captain Bamboozle”
    That was boring. Although this once again prove Gilbert Gottfried is irreplaceable as Mr. Mxyzptlk. For the record, Uncle Dudley is not quite as bad of a character as Sid Sharpe. But he doesn’t have to be to still totally suck.

I liked Shazam, Dudley, and Diana crying “Kitty!” upon seeing the giant kitten, and Batman defeating it using the Bat-laser pointer.

I wonder if the reason Mxy targeted Dudley at all was because they have the same haircut.

A Dud of an episode (so to speak). *.
    Justice League Action “Keeping Up With The Kryptonians”
    Mostly confusing and awful. I think the biggest problem is that Mxy didn’t actually have anything to gain from that scenario. When Mxy tries to prove a point, he leaves one person as is. Making both Superman and Supergirl his total mind-controlled puppets meant there was no actual lesson to teach.

The Mxy Zone narration being normal sounding is another thing that says Gottfried’s obnoxious voice is actually a total put-on.

Ironically the episode only started getting interesting once Booster Gold showed up. Booster Gold doesn’t know much, but he instantly likes Mxy. Which speaks volumes.

The one gag I liked was Supergirl taking off her earrings before she went off to fight. That is a totally reality TV thing to do, and pretty much tells whenever you are dealing with a garbage person.

But the episode otherwise. sucked. *.
    Justice League Action “Unleashed”
    So so. Parts of this were like “Pluto’s Rival” using Kryto the Superdog and Dex-Star. Those were the parts of the episode I didn’t like.

Once Streaky showed up I was kind of hoping Ace the Bathound would have answered the call too. Having the computer outrank Plas is embarrassing enough. Krypto does too? Ouch.

Plas’s jaw dropping is still a great sight gag and will never get old.

All right but nothing special. **1/2.
    Justice League Action “She Wore Red Velvet”
    Call me crazy, but just based upon the episode title and description, am I the only disappointed that wasn’t filled with actual pathos? There’s a TINY bit at the end, immediately bought back with the joke of Booster asking Batman for Giganta’s number, but the entire premise of a woman turning evil because Booster left her at the alter strikes me as incredible sad, and potentially powerful. I think JLU would have rocked this premise and made things bittersweet.

I mean, the idea that it turned out that she actually became evil after a lifetime of Booster is something that should be devastating. It strikes me as something that should fill Booster with shame and regret, and this show cannot do it. Batman: The Brave And The Bold was also a comedic DC interpretation. But they delivered “The Chill Of The Night!” when it was necessary. It’s not like it NEVER took things seriously. And the premise of this show is not inherently comedic, so it strikes me as a bit odd that every single episode so far has been a comedy. Despite the 15 minute runtime, I expected some variations in tone as the series went along. The fact that it never really did strikes me as a crying shame. I would LOVE to see some episodes in this continuity of the legit heroes doing legit superhero things absent a goofball like Booster or Plas messing everything up. And I bet kids would like that too. And after seeing this episode, I’m kind of wondering why we can’t have that. It doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. Batman: The Brave And The Bold was almost a parody. This is a much more traditional DC Comics adaptation. So I’m not sure at ALL why it is NEVER serious.

I probably wouldn’t have even KNOWN to complain about that if this episode, with this specific premise, did not exist. But since it does, it’s starting to bother me. ***.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

Nice to see a member of the cast here! Love the show and you're doing great as Superman! I really hope you guys get renewed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to the forums, Mr. Lewis. I really like this take on Superman - your voice acting, coupled with the great writing this show usually has. The cast in general is pretty solid, and it all results in a fun and at times awesome show, that I think is sadly a little underrated. Hopefully, there will be a new season or something in the near future, because I would love to see more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

I love your Superman! Strong, compassionate with a sense of wit and fun! We're glad you're here!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I have seen all the episodes but haven't gone through the recent shorts yet. I sincerely hope this isn't the end.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Krieg revealed the genesis of the "Watchtower Tour" episode was inspired by a tour by Burbank Studio he got from Alan Burnett back when he was just a page.

• Informative Informative x 2
    #500 Yojimbo, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.