"Justice League Action" News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Regarding Kimiyo/Dr. Light: Yeah, Shane Glines posted her design in January of this year, but before that she was featured on this presentation slide from an expo in June 2016 (it's low-quality but you can make out it's her):

Since she was used in some promotional material for the show, I imagine she'll appear in at least one episode. But I could be wrong.

Looking back on this now, I think we know all the characters - the only two I'm not 100% certain are on the 3rd row, but I am going to guess that might be Jason Blood between Barda and Harley, and the last one whose face we can't see is probably Brother Night.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #301 RoyalRubble, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

(only watched the 2 min. opening)

Booray for Bizarro: So far so bad with this take on Bizarro. ;) Happy to see Hal is present.

Best Day Ever: So Joker 'got' a Mother Box from Desaad? Hmm. Luthor's "How random" was hilarious.

The Cube Root: Interesting twist there's history between Mr. Terrific and Professor Stein.

Superman's Pal, Sid Sharp: Sounds like an Intergang getting armed by Apokolips story is the B-story. But pretty sure Jon Lovitz is gonna kill it as Sid Sharp. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

There's also Mr. Mind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Is Sid Sharp from the comics? Only other Planet staffer worth paying attention to is Steve Lombard outside of the big three.

Edit: Brainfart! Daily Planet!

• Like Like x 2
    #304 Capt.Traphouse, Aug 1, 2017
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Now that you mention it, we should be getting another Mr. Mind appearance this season. I don't remember if it was on Twitter or Instagram, but his voice actor mentioned he recorded two episodes for the show.

From what I understand he's an obscure character created by Jack Kirby. There's really not much about him online, which is pretty surprising.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think I can finally answer which short was an "oddball sequel" to a JLA episode Paul Dini scripted:

In "Brand New Day" we see Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Flash together at the Watchtower and discussing stuff they could do on their off-time, with Superman mentioning bowling.

I'm guessing "Quality Time" happened soon after ;).

Feels like we're seeing a founders meeting at the Watchtower given who all is involved, which is why they were surprised Wonder Woman wasn't there. They were only missing Superman and Aquaman ;).

Maybe it's because of the "Vile and the Villainous" from Brave and the Bold, but I can't help but imagine that Joker goes on these random Supervillain team-ups on his downtime :p.

I also like that Lex is on a first-name basis with his prison guard who's respectful enough to call him "Mr. Luthor." Also feels fitting that it's a woman :rolleyes2:.

That whole dynamic just screams "sitcom" :p.

And I guess they put the wrong description down for "The Cube Root" because, while Mr. Terrific is in it, the plot is completely different :sweat:.

Suffice it to say...he does ;).

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Considering the title of the episode, Kirby, and Olsen -- I gather he's probably from a Jimmy Olsen comic?

Where'd you find that?

• Like Like x 2
    #307 Yojimbo, Aug 1, 2017
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Shane Glines posted some sketches for the Joker. There are a few more in the comments section.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Justice League Action Season One Part One releases on DVD on October 10.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has issued press details for the forthcoming Justice League Action: Season One, Part One DVD release. Check out the details at The World's Finest.

• Like Like x 5
  11. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

So the DVD sets are following the US airdate order - understandable. In the UK, some of these episodes (notably 21-26) were aired in a different order, with "Inside Job" being missed out completely (to air at a later date, presumably), so that "The Fatal Fare" could be among the first 26. I liked how "Double Cross" (the Two-Face episode) was episode 22 in the UK!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, it's a pity. I was curious to see if they would do it by production order to see if there were any differences with the airing order.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Gah, I meant "Best Day Ever" :eek:.

Paul Dini also scripted the episode :)
    Those all look...very different from what we ultimately got (aside from the one on the far left) :sweat:.

The middle one seems like it was repurposed for Brother Night's design :evil:.

I like the cover art and with all those episodes there's plenty of bang for your buck :anime:.

Wish there were some special features though :sad:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

That's true, but yeah no special features counts me out. I much rather go digital with this one. I've only seen a handful of eps, but are the online-only minisodes gonna be available? I will wait to purchase to find out if they're hidden easter eggs or something.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Now that you mention, I wondering where they're going to include the shorts, if they do at all o_O.

16. the greenman

How many have there been so far, Frontier?

17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's cool to have a confirmation for the fist DVD release, but it is kind of disappointing they didn't announce any special features. Hopefully this sells well enough to increase the chances of a second season.

Only 8 have been released so far, but according to Paul Dini, they made "loads of them" (whatever number that means :p)

There's also a talkback for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At this point I think the best we can hope for is that all the merchandising and DVD sales, as well as the solid ratings, gives CN enough incentive to renew the show for a second season in-spite of their feelings towards it :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. the greenman

Very cool. Thnx!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I love the cover art for the Justice League Action Season One Part One DVD with a bunch of recurring heroes alongside Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Hopefully the next one can showcase other heroes like Vixen, Supergirl, Green Lantern and the Flash.
    These sets rarely contain special features, so at this point in time, as someone who loves special features, I can't be disappointed because we are getting the episodes on DVD. That's more than we can say for Marvel's animated shows. Hopefully, plenty of people grab this set in October. There will probably need to be a lot of positive word-of-mouth and advertising on social media to help out.
    I assume the shorts will be included on the second Justice League Action DVD set when more of them are released. Since the shorts just started coming out, I wouldn't expect them on this DVD. I believe @Yojimbo mentioned one of the Teen Titans Go Season 2 DVDs included the New Teen Titans shorts so it's possible. If I knew, I might have grabbed it instead of the Season One Part One DVD I got.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.