"Justice League (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Aug 31, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - [i]Justice League[/i]

1. *****

22.2%
  2. ****1/2

11.1%
  3. ****

11.1%
  4. ***1/2

11.1%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

11.1%
  10. 1/2

33.3%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest Administrator Moderator Reporter

Welcome to the new DC Universe! First up - the all-new Justice League!

JUSTICE LEAGUE #1

[​IMG]

Written by GEOFF JOHNS
    Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

Comics superstars Geoff Johns and Jim Lee make history! In a universe where super heroes are strange and new, Batman has discovered a dark evil that requires him to unite the World Greatest Heroes!

This spectacular debut issue is also offered as a special combo pack edition, polybagged with a redemption code for a digital download of the issue.

This is it - Let's discuss!

2. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

There was over 50 people at my local comic book shop at 7am ready to get in this morning for Justice League #1, they made a big deal about it and had free donuts and coffee from Dunkin Donuts and they gave away DC related posters and other products to lucky winners. You needed a membership card to get in before 10am when the store normally opens, so if was nice having the card to be let in early.

I was the 13th or 14th person to get the book and I've read it twice now, it was a fun story shared between Batman and Green Lantern and the art within the book (cover included) was breathtaking and I'd say that Jim Lee is my favorite comic book artist ever. I'm so happy I decided to be at the store first thing in the morning for launch day, it was so totally worth it and now the relaunch has finally begun!

3. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing! Administrator

I thought this first issue was okay but shockingly routine. If the whole point is to draw in new readers, why start off with another extremely decompressed storyline with forgettably faceless aliens and hardly any of the characters on the cover even in the darn thing? I think I liked it more than some of the guys on a lot of the message boards I read, but there's nothing even a little bit special about it for the first book in a super-hyped relaunch. Kinda just business as usual.

I liked Flashpoint #5 a lot more, which sort of surprised me since I didn't think much of the series up to that point.

4. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

5. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

I enjoyed it but I wasn't blown away by it. It's a great start to the series though it pales in comparison to the likes of JLA #1 by Morrison and Porter. The artwork was really nice, pretty nice stuff by Jim Lee, and the story was enjoyable. I wish it had a bit more to it but it looks like a nice set-up. Did anyone get the Combo Pack? It does fall along the lines of Ultimate Spider-Man, a story that I think will be a nice slow burn to a huge climactic battle, plus the Darkseid tease has my interest piqued. I'll be getting the monthlies for at least the first story arc.

6. suss2it

suss2it New Member

I enjoyed this as well, and but I also don't think it was mind blowing or anything. Still though it is pretty exciting to read the first of the relaunched DC.

The art was really good, I love Lee's work. Hopefully he stays on this book for at least 12 issues. Though that probably wont' happen given his track record.

Seeing Lee's Hal and Batman interact for the first time reminded me of their encounter in All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder, and honestly I liked it better there. The yellow room and lemonade scene was awesome, and really showed off how prepared Batman can be.

Cyborg's story isn't too interesting right now, since I'm sure we all know how it play out. Can't wait to see him in action though.

Hal Jordan seemed really childish and overly cocky here. It's weird since Johns' Hal is usually cocky, but here he just seem to be too cocky, and well kinda stupid. Not saying it's a bad thing, since this is a Year One of sorts for Hal, but I guess I was expecting his character to be more akin to the one Johns wrote in "Secret Origin".

Though I do like Superman's new outfit, I prefer the one in the sketchbook. I really liked the additional red. I also really liked the more detailed Hal Jordan and Aquaman looks in the sketchbook, though it's understandable why they didn't go with those. I also liked the the sword in Wonder Woman's look, I can take or leave the pants though.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
  7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator Moderator Reporter

In a word...decent. Mostly made by Batman + Hal Jordan interacting with each other. Hal's definitely overly confident and too quick to underestimate other people, and the idea of Green Lantern powers being incompatible with the way Batman operates feels credible. The concept of the general public distrusting metahumans in these early days is an interesting one that I hope is fleshed out. Could have used some exposition on why Batman thinks this is a "necessary" thing.

Cyborg's father sucks and Cyborg isn't Cyborg yet. Hmm.

The Superman angle feels like an arbitrary "hey let's have a fight!" thing. Hopefully issue #2 is more about plot than that skirmish.

8. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

I bought this issue (as a digital copy, ignoring the arbitrary 2 PM EST delay on releasing it just to appease physical comic shops) and have read it. While it had its moments, I felt it a bit lacking, mostly thanks to the decompressed storytelling (*again*?! New readers you're hoping to attract won't have the patience to wait months for you to finish this storyline... or however many issues this will run. Plus, the entire JL isn't in this story, which might look odd to new readers...) and being surprised how short it felt for a $4 comic.

More thoughts on this one on my blog.

9. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I liked it a lot. It was a great first issue and I can't wait for the next one. Jim Lee is just awesome! I've always been a fan and even though he has a lot of imitators, there is still something there that Jim has in his art that makes it all his own dynamic. I love all the new designs and the great character contrast between Batman and Green Lantern. And Superman looks incredible!

She actually looks a bit like a character called Providence from Jim Lee's old WildC.A.T.s series. And since the WildStorm Universe is being merged with the DC Universe, I wouldn't be surprised if it was her. If it is, remember... I called it.

http://wildstormresource.wetpaint.com/page/Providence (Cassandra Newland)#fbid=KVF-o_gBE1U

[​IMG]

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator Moderator Reporter

There's a pretty good back-and-forth discussion about issue #1 over at Comics Alliance. One person likes it, one doesn't. Interesting points are made all around, particularly one from the critic asserting that this was rather lacking as an introduction to the JL and to the whole relaunch. I think that may well be true. I'm kinda interested, but not super hyped either. I definitely do want to see the other characters next time. In contrast I take the positive views on character portrayal, except maybe Superman, but nobody can really clearly judge how he's being written right now.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/09/01/justice-league-1-review/

11. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

Anybody that says that they are disappointed that they do not see all the members of the Justice League all in the first issue, must not know anything about extended storytelling. It makes much better sense to show how they actually meet each other than to just throw them all together at one time, at the same time, for the first time. I guess some people forget this is the rebooted origin of the team being retold as if they never knew each other before this.

12. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!! Moderator Reporter

I don't know, I think Chris Sims understands perfectly about extended storytelling. He just doesn't think it's a very good idea for a comic book that's supposed to be luring people back for #2 in a month, especially because EVERYBODY knows who Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are, and Green Lantern has a lot more awareness right at this moment because of the movie.

Besides, Grant Morrison pulled together his whole team in a new-reader-friendly way AND kicked off a four-part slam-bang action extravaganza in JLA #1. It can be done. While I thought the sample I read wasn't bad, it also wasn't good enough that I'm willing to cough up $4 to read the rest, especially knowing that I'm going to be getting a thoroughly incomplete story. However, I'll also admit that I've never been all that enchanted with Geoff Johns' tendency to spell out every single thing he can step-by-step-by-step, and that seems to be exactly what he's doing here. I don't think even think that's necessary for new readers. It never was in the past.

Like it or not, attention spans and leisure time are short and there's lots of stuff competing for our attention. That means you slam it out of the park in 1 minute or less or you lose your potential audience because they've already moved on to something else. Like I said, the sample wasn't bad, but I'd call it a solid base hit, maybe a double. Good, but not good enough for your flagship title.

13. EinBebop

EinBebop Kneel Before Zod

I agree with everything you said, but only in terms of this being the first issue of a new Justice League book.

But this issue was more than that... it was THE FIRST ISSUE OF THE NEW DC UNIVERSE. And by releasing this issue all by its lonesome, it set up expectations of something a lot bigger. But this one issue felt pretty small. And I think this is the root of the disappointment that you're referring to.

And I know some people will argue in favor of a "leave them wanting more" marketing ploy... great, hope it works out for them. I just don't feel like this single issue was worth the trip to the comic store. Anyone who hasn't picked up theirs yet, I would advise if that was the only reason they were going, just wait until next week.

And also, the next issue doesn't come out for almost two months? That's not the kind of 'extending storytelling' that I usually like. ;)

14. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

The comicbook medium is simply not friendly for new readers or the average consumers.

All these new readers probably feel ripped off seeing as how they paid 4$ for 24 pages of comic + add pages that they read in a few minutes. For the supposed debut of a new universe thats supposed to attract new readers they shouldve combined the first 2 issues and released t as one 48 page story with less adds.

i guess new readers wouldn't get that one huh?

The batman is all about striking fear into the hearts of criminals (which is why he dresses like a bat). The public fearing them actually helps him out.

15. Kolbar

Kolbar @Cinecrisis on Twitter

I liked it, but it could have been better, especially considering how great Geoff Johns is as a writer. It felt way too short, though, and I think that is the only real problem. I was hoping that with this relaunch they would perhaps go back to the format of at least trying to tell a somewhat complete story in one issue. Not done-in-one, but something that has a beginning, middle, and end, and then ends with a great cliffhanger that wants you to come back.

As to the issue, I loved Jim Lee's art. That full page Superman pic at the end was amazing. I love the new look without the red underwear. Even though I love the Silver Age and those classic outfits, these characters needed to be updated a little if DC wants to a serious shot at being #1.

Of course, they didn't have to win me over, since I'm a DC guy anyway. And I was reading Justice League of America in the previous incarnation. I'll be sticking with this series. But I'm actually more excited for some of the other series, and actually JLI and JL Dark more than this.

16. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D! Administrator

But it gives a great you reason to pick up all those great Marvel Comics on the shelf as an alternative to the one, single, slow paced DC book. :D

17. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

None of this discussion here makes me want to run out and buy it. I hate Jim Lee's art and I hate stories that are so decompressed they can't even tell a satisfying chapter of the story in one issue.

Oh yeah, speaking of Justice League Dark, I just read the Hellblazer trade Hard Time.

I'm not sure this Constantine feller is Justice League material.

18. suss2it

suss2it New Member

What is it about Lee's art that you hate so much? Looking at these samples, I don't see anything that's terrible. In fact, it looks great to me.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Wow, I really have to read Hellblazer. But I have a feeling that the DCnU Constantine is gonna be a much softer character than his Vertigo counterpart. What I really wanna know is how will Deadman fit on either of the Justice League teams he's a part of, since nobody can see/hear him.

19. EinBebop

EinBebop Kneel Before Zod

I always favored DC heroes over Marvel heroes. Spider-man was the only Marvel guy who ever caught my attention on a consistent basis. :sweat:
    I'm not usually one to notice comic book art unless it's bad; I could never really name artists. Jim Lee's been an exception. So many of his scenes just make me saw, 'wow'. In this Superman picture what really caught my attention (and unfortunately the above scan doesn't have enough detail to get the full effect) are tiny little red lines of heat vision around his face, like he's barely holding it back. I've always been one of those "Blah, Superman" guys, but if someone framed this and gave it to me as a gift I'd be glad to hang it on my wall.

20. suss2it

suss2it New Member

If you click on the picture you should see a more high-res version, then you should be able to see the faded lines of his heat vision.