1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

June 6 - Pokemon Direct (Pre-Air Talkback)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Jun 5, 2017.

1. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Could be the long awaited Pokemon Stars game that people were speculating about.

If so, the big question afterwards is whether the game is going to be for the 3DS or Switch (or both). A lot of people are speculating that this could be a Switch title. However, the fact that this Direct is happening a week before E3 could suggest that is may be 3DS only (as Nintendo has announced 3DS games days before E3 as a way to get those out of the way, while saving up their bigger titles for the E3 Direct).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This is a surprise. While people have speculated on a possible announcement, I thought that they'd skip this year for a new main series game. We normally get an announcement no later than May.

This will be a main series game. I don't see any other reason why they'd have a Pokemon Direct so suddenly if it wasn't because of a new main series game. I'm just not sure what they could to. It could be Stars since people have speculated on that for awhile, but I wasn't sure if that was debunked or not by now. It could be more a Sun/Moon sequel, assuming that isn't what Stars is, or it could be D/P remakes since people have wanted those for awhile too.

I'm honestly not sure what I'd want from the Direct. Like I said, I thought that we wouldn't get a main series game release for this year. I'd prefer for them to stick with the 3DS system for this release though. While I wouldn't be too surprised if they tried to put a main series game on the Switch already, I'd rather wait a bit longer before having to get a Switch. I've only had my New 3DS for less than a year and I'd prefer to not get another big upgrade so soon from that. It might be a bit too early for them to put the main series on the Switch too considering that we're still in the seventh generation. It does make sense business wise to put the main series on the Switch to help sell more systems, but I'd rather stick with my other systems awhile longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

#4 MDawg, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That was pretty cool and unexpected. I didn't think that we'd get something like Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. I was hoping that they'd show more of the games instead of being all about the Pokken Tournament Switch version, but I probably should have expected more of a small tease like this in retrospect.

I thought that these would be sequels when I first saw the trailer, but the official site mentioned that they are an alternate story for Sun/Moon, which does sound more like duel third version games. That was a bit disappointing, especially when I hoped we were done with third version games, but it could still work. If they're completely different games with a lot more new content instead of being basically the same games with a few differences, then it should be fine. I am curious what they could do with an alternate storyline for Sun/Moon. We could see them expand to different areas and create more regional forms of different Pokemon, which might be easier to justify in an alternate storyline than in a sequel depending on what they're going to do exactly.

I do hope that they'll improve on the customization, level grinding and getting Battle Points. Not having to battle so many trainers with one Pokemon on them would also be a big help since that got old fast in Sun/Moon.

A Pokken Tournament Switch port looked pretty cool. I was worried that the focus it was getting made it more likely for these games to be on the Switch, but at least that isn't the case. I was relieved knowing that i don't have to get a Switch just yet.

I really like that G/S are coming to the Virtual Console. Pokemon Silver was my first Pokemon game, so being able to play it again sounds so wonderful. I liked HG/SS a lot. They're easily my favorite remakes and improved upon the games, but being able to play my first Pokemon game again still sounds so nice.