1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Jokes in Family Guy You Don't Get

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by EJLD4Ever, Sep 1, 2009.

1. The Man in Black

The Man in Black I have 5 of broats

Here's one from an episode tonight:

New Brian asks Lois to sing karaoke with him, she goes to and says something like "Okay everybody, Rita Coolidge's less talented sister here!" Even Stewie replies with "In what way is that a joke?" I haven't really tried to look anything up yet. I guess I was wondering if any of you guys get it.

2. NovelleX

NovelleX Destroyer of Threads

I recall this joke being made, but I can't remember exactly which episode it was in, maybe the quote itself can spark it for you!

I think it's the one where they're applying Meg to Brown so she could get into a good college and then they speak to the Dean or something like that...I think it's the Luke Perry episode.

"Meg? It's just three letters. It's HARDLY a name at all."

"Well yeah, I wanted to name her Twiki but Lois said kids wouldn't get the reference."

He's right, I sure don't. :sad:

3. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Basically, Twiki was the name of the robot from the 1980's Buck Rogers TV show.

4. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Are you sure it's Twiki and not Twiggy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twiggy

5. NovelleX

NovelleX Destroyer of Threads

I'm sure it was Twiki, I remember there being a K-sound, and also because it just seems more....Peter-ish if he went for the more obnoxious choice than a simple bash at a celebrity.

6. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

I think the joke is that Lois was comparing her singing skills to Rita Coolidge (a singer from the 1970s and 80s who did adult contemporary), by using her as measure of coolness like an unhip relative would, etc.

That's all there is to it, I guess.

7. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Agree with that. After all, he give Chris the middle name Cross (as in 1980's singer Christopher Cross) and Stewie the middle name Gilligan.