1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Jokes in Family Guy You Don't Get

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by EJLD4Ever, Sep 1, 2009.

1. JD08

JD08 Active Member

Yeah but I thought it was like something about a necrophilliac or something
    I thought as much

2. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

A "Wisconsin nymphomaniac".

3. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

I was watching an episode today where Rupert gets accidentally sold at a yard sale, and Stewie and Brian make a cross-country odyssey to retrieve him. There's a really weird bit where they're in a helicopter that just crashed and is slaloming down the side of a mountain, and they're both screaming and Brian looks over and suddenly Stewie is dressed in a red devil costume (replete with fangs) and is laughing maniacally.

:confused:

4. The Man in Black

The Man in Black I have 5 of broats

"I didn't say that, Lee Majors did!" "What?, women are things."

5. autimusprime

autimusprime Guest

I could be wrong, but I think it was because that was an easy way to reference the "Evil Monkey" in Chris' closet as being a reason he did not want to go to his room. He has often said I don't want to go to my room, there's an evil monkey in my closet......and then goes on to say something about the monkey (wasn't always evil, not as evil now, etc...)

6. autimusprime

autimusprime Guest

Thank God for DVR. My family is from Chicago and I was born and raised in Texas and HATE country music and every time a Conway Twitty joke occurs I reach for the remote and hit that fast forward button as soon as I can. I guess I fall into that demographic majority!

7. Mister Donut

Mister Donut Member

I often felt a lot of the humor in Family Guy falls into the Gen-X trappings that got the show recognized in the first place. Most people in their 30's and 40's would know these things in a heartbeat, leaving the younger audience in the dust and being clueless unless they don't ask about it such as here.

8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

What don't you get about that? Both Peter and Lee Majors have sexist attitudes towards women. It's pretty self explanatory to me.

#68 Goldstar Neo, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  9. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Originally Posted by ABrown [​IMG]
    As I've said before, I never understood why Lois or Peter are always telling Chris to go to his room. Usually they tell him to go to his room when he hasn't even done ANYTHING wrong. What am I not getting here???

Not exactly. Chris has referenced the evil monkey without being told to go to his room, and there have been "go to your room" jokes which don't involve the evil monkey at all. Plus, I keep mentioning this but no one ever acknowledges it, in some of the earlier episodes, Peter and/or Lois have told Meg to go to her room too. (To name just one example: in "Death is a 'B'-Word", Peter thinks he's dying and tells his kids to look back and remember all of his accomplishments. Meg asks "What accomplishments?", to which Peter responds by telling Meg "Go to your room.")

I'm continually amazed by the amount of confusion this particular gag has generated; so nobody here has ever been sent to their room by their parents as a kid for some pointless reason or seemingly no reason? That's just generic family stuff, like being told to "Eat your greens".

The joke there is that both Peter and Lee Majors are sexist pigs.

10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

"Planes, Trains, and Automobiles", only in that movie's case, it was John Candy and Steve Martin's car going between two semis while driving on the wrong side of the highway. And I thought I identified this for you before.

11. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

Ah. And I think the Planes scene you identified for me earlier was Peter reciting a John Candy speech from that film verbatim in a different episode.

12. The Man in Black

I'm just not really familiar with Lee Majors is all :p

13. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Guess if I say Stevie Austin, you'll think of only the wrestler by that name rather than the character Lee Majors played on The Six Million Dollar Man (a character which was somewhat parodied on an episode of The Venture Brothers wearing his trademark red jumpsuit). You probably never seen The Fall Guy either.

Okay. Grandpa Max in the first live-action Ben 10 movie. That's Lee Majors.

14. The Man in Black

I've actually never seen any of those, sadly. Does that make me a terrible person?

I'm not too sad about not having seen the live action Ben 10 movie tho :p

15. Michael JJ

Michael JJ Remember to Stay Positive!

I turned on an episode a few days ago that had Peter listening to the song Surfin' Bird over and over. Stewie and Brian steal the record and destroy it in a slow motion sequence. It was probably refrencing something, but I don't know what.

16. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

It's a scene from Office Space(1999). In the film, several co-workers get angered at a copy machine that keeps jamming and just plain doesn't work, and they take it from their workspace and beat it to death with baseball bats, with the same song in the background.

17. ThePRPD

ThePRPD The one with the nose.

In the beginning of The Cleveland Show pilot episode Peter says "Cleveland Jr. aged faster than Kathleen Turner." we then see a cutway with Turner talking to her manager (I think) and she has gotten a leading role in a movie. "The Babe". Then she just hits a baseball and that's it.

I don't get it.

18. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

They currently show a commercial with Lee Majors selling a bionic hearing aid on late night cable television. The tagline is "It won't cost you 6 million dollars, but you'll think it's worth it."

19. Lonestarr

Lonestarr Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Staff Member Moderator

In the 80s, Turner was a stunning woman who specialized in playing femme fatales or 'babes' (Body Heat, for example). Over the years, she got...shall we say, heavier. Her manager meant the Babe as in baseball legend Babe Ruth.

20. JTurner954

JTurner954 Paradigm City, USA

Two come to mind:

A cutaway where Peter is in a class, refuses to take a test, and throws the test at the instructor. The intructor says "Congratulations. That was the test" with Peter running out of the classroom with some song playing. What's the reference?

In the episode where they show a flashback to Nate Griffin coming to America: The captain is asleep and wakes up on his own raft made of logs and falls into the water. A song is playing about having a great summer. What's the reference?