Joel Schumacher was goin to helm "Batman Begins"

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Spongebrain2.0, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Spongebrain2.0

Spongebrain2.0 New Member

According to IMdB trivia for BB, at one point Joel Schumacher was going to do Batman Begins or Batman:Year One. Maybe you Batfanatics already knew this but I wonder why the hell WB would let him go near the franchise after B&R & the lashing that went out at him after its release. Though I wonder if a satirical farce spoofing this could work in a film. Make a film about a respected director getting ahold of a hugely popular franchise & turning it into a spoofy film. Think about it...the Adam West cameos!:p Or not....

2. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses New Member

well, there's a reason that it was turned down....
    I remember at one point there was going to be a Schumacher movie called Batman: Triumphant, and there were rumors that Scarecrow was going to be played by Howard Stern!:p

3. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait Moderator

I remember reading that Joel Schumacher thing a long time ago; that was back when the movie was simply titled "Batman 5", I believe. It was the old idea that was allegedly going to feature the Scarecrow and Harley Quinn as the main villains. The movie officially went into production before BATMAN & ROBIN even came out, intended for a 1999 released - and after the movie bombed, the idea was scrapped. Thank goodness.

I wouldn't mind Adam West in a BATMAN movie...as long as he wasn't there, out of place, just to be a nod to the fans. The man can actually act - especially if he's given a totally different role than what he's known for. He'd be a good mayoral figure, for example - just like he is on THE BATMAN animated series...and...FAMILY GUY, for that matter. :p

Hmmm...Adam West as Clayface...an aging, washed-up actor, trying to reclaim the fame and fortune he once knew...that might work...

-Tim

4. Gaunt

Gaunt New Member

From what I understand, Joel Schumacher wanted "Batman Triumphant" to be a return to the dark movies, something of a mix between Batman Returns and Batman Forever. When he was turned down, he came back with the idea of restarting the franchise with an adaptation of Year One. WB decided to do it, though without Joel Schumacher.

5. Casey Mack

Casey Mack New Member

lol:anime: lol
    ________
    Bmw New Class History

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011
  6. Master Moron

Master Moron New Member

I don't think Joel Schumaker is really an awful director, it's just that WB wanted Batman Forever and Batman and Robin to sell toys, which is why they got so cluttered up with undeveloped characters. Of course, I have to wonder how many Batman and Robin toys they actually sold...

7. Silly McGooses

yes, I do now remember Schumacher wanting to redeem himself, even saying that. I have to feel a little bad for him, because EVERY SINGLE REVIEW I've read has started off with making fun of him. I know that he wants to redeem himself now with his darker director's cut of Batman Forever, and he really isn't a bad director. I mean, Batman and Robin was bad because of a bad script. He did a very nice job on Lost Boys and Phantom of the Opera.

8. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator Moderator

I completely forgot about that. I remember that now. I think there was also a rumor that it would feature Jack Nicholson as the Joker in a flashback or dream sequence cameo. Schumacher once said, after BATMAN & ROBIN came out, "I owe the fans a real Batman movie." Too bad he didn't get that idea at the beginning.

9. Spongebrain2.0

Well, you can't blame the guy. In Hollywood, you get paid to be a director. If the studio wanted B&R to be a campy, silly farce, Schumacher had no say in it or he'd get fired. Fans get a little too rabid & attack Schumacher when really it was the WB executives who should be blamed

10. Silly McGooses

I hope the Batman Forever director's cut will be that movie. Schumacher is not a bad director, I think it was more what WB wanted him to do with the movies, and now they're using him as a scapegoat.

11. Style

Style The Green Style Returns

Well, this gives me excuse to recite the long history of this movie...

This is all as I recall, so I can't point to exact sources, but most of this was reported on Dark Horizons, years and years ago.

The initial rumors for the film were the "Batman 5" kind. Now, I remember from the very beginning, there was a disatisfaction with the fourth one and Warners probably wasn't going to let Schumacker near it, no matter what he wanted. Some points about this incarnation of the project:

-Yes, the title "Batman Triumphant" was being considered for a long time. (I thought it was a bad idea: after all, if you declare from the top that "Batman wins," where's your dramatic tension?)

-The most recurrent point about that movie is that scarecrow was going to be the main villain. At one point, someone slipped up and mentioned that Howard Stern was tapped for the part, and he was so embarrassed about it, he said, "Now, I'll never do a Batman movie, even if they want me too."

-The secondary villain was always in flux, and Mad Hatter was considered early on. Later, it was to be Madonna as Harley Quinn, pulling together a semi-"Return of the Joker" storyline.

-On that last point, Early leaked plots indicated that Batman, doused with Scarecrow's Hallucinogen, would see visions of his dead nemesis Joker. At the same time, new Joker crimes would be committed, making Batman think his enemy had returned from the dead, and knew his secret.

-In actuallity, the new crimes were being committed by Harley Quinn. Her filmic origins would have been much different though. You see, they were going to say that Joker's girl friend from the '89 film, (I forget her name, the one he disfigured and made to where a ceramic mask, then killed off-screen.) That she wasn't really dead, just in a coma. Coming out of that coma, she would commit Joker crimes while seeking her dead beloved in vain.

-Other plot points: They were going to get rid of the sidekicks, for a new solo Batman film. The explanations would have gone as such: Batgirl would just be off at college somewhere, so she would be easily dismissed from the plot. Robin was to be killed early in the film. At one point, an opening credit sequance (a la Bond) was being considered with Batman and Robin fighting Manbat, in a spectacular aireal/rooftop battle, ending with Manbat killing Robin. A second version had Batgirl present too, and ending with her dead as well. This would have accomplished a solo Batman film, with Batman brooding, questioning his mission.

-Manbat would have only been in the film at the beginning, and would not have been a major villain of the film.

-Talk about this version of the movie got so far, that Nicholson was informally asked about reprising his role as Joker. He said he would be pleased too, if he were approached by Warner Bros.

-There was even some preliminary location scouting for this film, as there were reports that they were looking for some "creepy woods for a fight between Batman and Scarecrow."

When the original producers abondonned the project, The new Batman film was set adrift for a few years. Between 2000-2002, several different new projects were considered, including Batman Beyond, Batman Year One, and Batman vs. Superman.

Batman vs Superman

-This project was seriously considered for a few weeks in summer 2002. It was even greenlit, before it was shelved by the end of the summer.

-From what was leaked of the plot, it was described as being more like "Batman 5 also featuring Superman," because it was much more about the Dark Knight than the man of Steel, and tied in with the previous Batman films, but not really the previous Superman films.

-Not much of the plot was revealed, but it had Batman on the trail of some Evil scheme of Lex Luthor, and Luthor cloning Joker to "distract Batman."

-Batman would be unhinged in this film, because Clone Joker was going to "Kill someone close to him," possibly Robin, Batgirl, and/or his fiancee from "Batman and Robin."

-Batman, on the edge of going crazy, would be beating criminals to a pulp, and almost killing them. Superman, afraid Batman was going too far, would try to stop him, thus triggering the battle.

-Oh, about that: Apparently Batman and Superman knew each other, (and each other's secret identities) from some point before the film, as this film would not have been their "first meeting." There was even talk of tying the animated "World's Finest" into this.

-At the end, overcoming their differences, they would have teamed up to fight, "Lex Luthor's giant rampaging robots at the Gotham's world's Fair."

-Wolfgang Peterson was attached to direct, but when it folded, he went on to "Troy."

-Also of note: This was the first Time Christain Bale's name was brought up in consideration of the role of Batman.

-Why it folded is a matter of debate. Warner Bros. spin says that they decided to re-introduce Batman and Superman separately before "bringing them together." But other's indicate that it was Peterson's decision to do "Troy" is what killed this film.

At this point, Warner's shifted their attention to the also "in-devolopment" Batman: Year One, which would have been an adaptation of Frank Millar's seminal origins story.

-It would have been directed by Darren Arnofsky, who was previously known for directing "Pi."

-Arnofsky worked with Millar to adapt the story.

-Warners chose this project to be the spring board for relaunching the Batman franchise. This was the first script considered that dumped the "old movie" continuity.

-This was kept in a holding pattern for years. It likely folded because Arnofsky got fed up and wanted to move on to other projects.

At this point, David Goyer turned in his treatment for a Batman script, entitled "Batman: Intimidation (Game)" (At first it was "Intimidation Game," then it was just "Intimidation," before finally being renamed "Batman Begins.")

Chris Nolan came on board, liked Nolan's script, picked up long time fan favorite Christain Bale for Batman, (remember, I said he was first considered for Batman vs. Superman.) and the rest is history.

It's funny, but the final film combined elements from all the previous forms. Scarecrow from "Triumphant," Bale from "Batman vs. Superman," and there are some obvious references to "Year One" in "Begins."

12. Silly McGooses

Wow, that Batman: Triumphant thing actually sounds extremely interesting. It could have been really good.

13. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING Moderator

So Style92, in your opinion, which one would you have liked to have seen: Batman 5 or Batman vs. Superman(This, barring Batman Begins)?:)

14. Style

Well, there was definatly some promise to Batman Triumphant, and to this day I am still curious to how it would have come out. But, it would assuredly have had George Clooney reprising his role as Batman, which I wasn't keen on.

From what I heard of "Batman Vs. Superman," some of it sounded kinda hokey. But, it would possibly have had Christain Bale as Batman, and I would have loved to seen Bale Batman interacting with Superman. Maybe we still will, one of these days...;)

15. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING Moderator

That's cool.

On the subject, do you have any info on the Batman Beyond movie being shopped around before it was scrapped? I mean if you have the info. You already did one long post, another probably wouldn't hurt.;)

16. Style

As I said, it was one of three Batman films being considered for a while, and it was the least devoloped before it was dropped. They did bring in a futurist to help envision what future Gotham may have looked like, (probably along the lines of "Minority Report and "I, Robot.") And Warners was kind of billing it as "Batman meets The Matrix." And while this bit of casting was merely rumor, some felt that it would have been a good opportunity to bring in Adam West as the old Bruce Wayne, but it would not have neccisarily been tied to the 60's series, (thoguh the implication would have been there.)

Again, this was the least-devoloped idea of the lot, and Warners was far more keen on "Batman vs. Superman" and "Batman: Year One."

17. Silly McGooses

Batman Beyond could have been sort of interesting...of the unfinished concepts, Triumphant was by far the best, though. It sounds really fascinating.

18. Spongebrain2.0

Maybe "Triumphant" would also give Schumacher some fan respect, since it sounds very dark (Robin killed off)

19. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator Moderator

Wasn't Paul Dini actually involved with the BATMAN BEYOND live-action movie? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

20. Silly McGooses

yes, i remember that he was working on a script.