JLU "Doomsday Sanction" Talkback, Part II (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by Bird Boy, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin

Time for another hiatus! Last new episode of JLU for a few weeks (or months, whenever new ones get scheduled)!

[​IMG]

Episode #16 - Doomsday Sanction
    Original Airdate - February 19th 2005

While Superman battles Doomsday in the heart of a Volcano, Batman discovers an elaborate conspiracy to destroy the Justice League.

Comments?

This is part II! Click here for part I.

2. bat313

bat313 Active Member

After watching the ep twice already i gotta say it was the best DCUA ep i have seen to date. Totally blew away seasons 1 two part finale! Every minute was exciting!! And all the continuity was awsome. I tihnk everyone is getting a little carried away with the Superman going lordish thing... i mean Doomsday is made from his DNA so technically he's just killing a part of himself :) ok that is a stretch and i don't really mean that, but i thought it was genious of superman to put doomsday in the phantom zone. The whole JL trial thing was a bit creepy, and i can see everyone's problem with that, all i can say is the 4-parter is gonna be insane! Good job to the crew!

3. Spectre

Spectre Super-stretchy super shirts!

Superman had no way of knowing how much Doomsday had 'healed' from Lord Superman's lobotomy. He knows nothing about Doomsday's biology, least of all where the various lobes and corteces of his brain are located relative to a human/Kryptonian/etc. brain. Furthermore, it doesn't take a lot of brainpower to be a blunt instrument of destruction. I'd wager to say that Doomsday would act almost the same as he did in "The Doomsday Sanction" even if the brain damage had remained.

And can we really say that Doomsday has fully healed? Maybe his voice change was a decision on the part of the directors; but within the context of the show, it could be chalked up to lingering damage in the part of Doomsday's brain that governs speech and vocalization.

Has anyone noticed that b.t. hasn't been in here once? You'd think either he or McDuffie would have dropped in by this point, since they must be very proud of this episode. I know I would be.

4. Duckboy

Duckboy mysteriously de-lurking

Oh, I'm sure they've stopped by. It's just that nobody has brought up James Bond yet. :D

Erm, back on topic.

I agree with the general consensus that this was a kick-butt episode. I came for the Supes-Doomsday fight, but I stayed for the Batman plot.

Kudos to the creators for the development of Batman *and* Waller. It hasn't been discussed much here, but Batman opens her eyes to the dangers of Cadmus just as much as she makes him see his team's Lord-ish tendencies. Witness her horror at Eiling's three-birds-with-one-stone "solution."

5. Revelator

Revelator In summary then: "Oh no."

Well, Doomsday Sanction sounds a lot more like a Robert Ludlum-type title than an Ian Fleming one, and there isn't much in the episode one can use for handy tangent to fly off of in Bondian directions.

If b.t. does resurface (but I'm guessing the staff is hard at work planning the new season and doesn't have time for idle chat) I'd like to ask about his Wondercon appearance (since he wasn't announced in the schedule and his being there was a total surprise, was it just a spur of the moment decision to appear? Was he already in the area and decided "Ah what the hell, I'll pop up and shock the fanboys"?), but that would not only be off-topic, it wouldn't be about Bond.
    Since AmazingSpidey is probably getting antsy, let me hastily get back on topic...
    Now that part of the government is heavily investigating the league, does this mean we might get an explanation about the League's funding? As many have noted, all those watchtowers and javelins would tax even Waynecorp's coffers.
    One thing I noticed about "A Better World" is how easily Batman accepted Superman killing Luthor. "Well, it had to be done" he said, while Diana looked shocked. Does this mean that the angry Batman we saw in DS will act in a completely opposite manner from his Lorder counterpart? Or will he too--through a long series of tortuous events--end up wishing Luthor the worst?
    Incidentally, were the Bat-embargo not in place, we might have seen more Bat-villains at the conference table. Mad Hatter's expertise in mind-control would be highly valued by the government or Luthor, as would the Riddler's strategic genius. And wasn't Poison Ivy once on the comics' suicide squad?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2005
  6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Bonehead

Yes, because we all know how witty and sarcastic lobotomy patients can be.;)
    Micheal Jai White provided Doomsday's voice in both this episode and A Better World. I think they just synthesized his voice here (Like they did to Corey Burton's Brainiac in Static Shock's A League of Their Own.)
    They only show up when you piss them off or if Supremus gives the episode a rave. Actually Supremus' review WAS favorable. Where are they?

Captain Kirk and James Bond suck!

We'll see.

7. Rurouni Kenshin

Rurouni Kenshin Kenshin will be back!

The way they avoided death in this episode felt like something they would do in the dubbed version of Yu-Gi-Oh.

8. Doomsday

Doomsday Superman`s Killer

How did they avoided death in this episode? Milo was killed by Doomsday in the first 10 minutes. If you mean how they didn't kill Doomsday at the end but trap him, the league doesn't kill, its not their thing or should be their thing. I don't know how you can say this is like Yu-Gi-Oh because in that show no one dies and in this episode, look at what happened at Milo.

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Bonehead

This is also the first DCAU cartoon with an implication that a character has been flayed alive. b.t. sure loves Buffy apparantly.

10. Merlin Missy

Merlin Missy Cranky Old Lady

Hey, all. Been away from the board for *check* a week, and while I did skim through the posts on this thread (and its predecessor) I'm not sure if anyone addressed this yet:

- Supes has the Phantom Zone thingy.
    - They couldn't have kept the Lorders in the League universe 'cause the Lorders knew their secret identities.
    - We don't know how the power disruptor worked. (The off-camera explanation we got here on the board --- the device interrupts the signals from their nervous systems, rendering them unable to use their powers --- would have killed them.)
    - If the power disruptor wasn't permanent, sending them home would have just started the badness back there all over again, depending on if Lorder Bats had enough time to prepare. ;)

Anyone think maybe the Lorders are floating around in the Zone?

Anyone?

Okay, me neither, but it'd be interesting.

MM:)

11. Archangel2385

Archangel2385 Aquarian of the Heavens

That would be really freaky, but hey, at least Doomsday would have some entertainment for however long the JLU keeps him in there :evil: . Honestly, it's a possibility, but that's a MAJOR plot point that really should have been pointed out before now, so I don't know . . . . .

12. The Weed Of Cri

The Weed Of Cri Smarter than you

Actually, it is a possibility, but there are others. They may be confined in Superman's Fortress of Solitude. One of the League's magic-powered allies, like Dr. Fate or Zatanna, could have erased their memories or confined them somewhere out of reach. If they were sent back to their own world (which is logical, since that is where they committed the majority of their crimes, the authorities of that world could have some means of keeping them imprisoned (assuming, of course, they haven't been executed). I guess we're not going to know for sure until they appear again(if they ever do).

13. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Since the actual authorities took the Lords away wouldn't they have them? Im sure they dealt with them and not The League. Also the League didn't have a dimensional transporter so how would they have sent The Lords back anyway?

14. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

Wouldn't cadmus be able to use the Lords DNA to create clones?

15. otter

otter New Member

I'm really impressed with how The Question has been worked into the show. When I first heard that he was going to be on the roster, I was skeptical. I mean, The Question is a cool character but he never seemed like the card-carrying JL membership kinda guy. The writers characterized him really well in Fearful Symmetry and the scene in this episode where everyone groans when Batman mentions the Question was a perfect way of showing how he fits in with the JLU. He seems to have been left out of all the big cosmic superhero battles but he's still behind the scenes looking into this Conspiracy stuff (Gawd, I hope no one posts a pic of a man in a blue trenchcoat flying alongside the JL after Mordru).

16. Casey Mack

Casey Mack New Member

buddy if you remeber Lord Batman who created the dimensional machine joined up with our Batman and the League. I always assumed, it would make alot more sense to bring them back to their own dimension. Where Lord Batman has them confined somewhere.
    ________
    GANG BANG MATURE

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011
  17. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Why bother? They've been rendered powerless, with the impression it was permaneant, at least until someone with the power disruptor designs a way to counteract it. And I believe Supes still has it...which begs the question why they didn't use that.

Or maybe they have used it offscreen.

18. 90'sCartoonMan

90'sCartoonMan Punch Drunk Flounder

I just watched "A Better World" today, and you're right, Revelator. In light of "Doomsday Sanction", it seems like even Batman needs to be kept under control. Not only was Lords Batman accepting of Lords Superman killed Luthor, but our Batman was the one who prompted Superman to cross some lines. Maybe some of where Superman is with Doomsday has to do with the path Batman helped to set him on back in "A Better World".

19. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Its possible that could have happened (off screen) but going by what happened in that ep the Lords were carted away by the local authorizes in the Leagues universe.

Besides why would the Lords Batman lock them up? Didn't he change his way of thinking? If so he would realize that he doesn't have the authority to do that. Or has he taken then the opportunity to rule Earth uncontested now?

There are a lot of possibilities I hope we get to see that dimension again.

20. Casey Mack

Casey Mack New Member

dun be naive do you really think the League would let authoritzes carter off the Lords who know their secret identies and all their information?:sweat:

and Im not saying Lord b=Batman locked them up, he probbably handed them over to his dimensions goverment.
    ________
    Fisting Anal

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011