1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Jetsons seasons

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by rajzfilm, May 15, 2014.

1. Dennnis Toppenberg

Dennnis Toppenberg New Member

The Jetsons originally aired its first season on ABC on Prime Time
    and then it was revived for syndication, with its last 2 seasons running.

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Still impressed the show returned after 22 years, something you never really see that often.

3. superdude

superdude king of cool

The 60s episodes were better. The 80s episodes had a stiffer, cold look to them.

Sent from my A466BG using Tapatalk

4. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

My childhood memories are mostly of the 80s Jetsons which UK Cartoon Network tended to almost exclusively air. I saw a couple odd 60s ones though.

Looking back now, I think it's a lot of points already mentioned, the 80s ones were more vividly animated (whenever the likes of John Kricfalusi were allowed to take liberties anyway) but more kiddified and gimmicky, while the 60s ones were more an actual attempt at sitcom similar to the opening points of The Flintstones. I suppose you can defend the 80s direction by saying it took advantage of the future setting a bit more though.

It's hard to say much about Orbitty. He might have gotten annoying....if he was used all that much. The creative team allegedly weren't that fond of him. I remember the 80s series also having more people for George to interact with such as RUDI (one of the recurring complaints about the show was that it never had a Barney Rubble-type best friend counterpart).

For some reason whenever I hear Mr Spacely's original voice it sounds odd though, I'm so used to the gravelly voice Mel Blanc gave him in the 80s series.

5. superdude

superdude king of cool

As a kid I didn't realize the age gap between different episodes. I guess I like the 60s EPs better because they seemed funnier. Like you said the 'new' episodes were specifically geared to kids with orbity, the scrappy of the Jetsons.

The line work seemed thinner on the 80s episodes and they seemed to use a different color palette. The look didn't exactly match up in my eyes, something seemed off.

Sent from my A466BG using Tapatalk

6. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

I could often make out the little nuances in animation and style between the 50/60s cartoons and their 80s/90s revivals, even if I didn't always understand what they were as a child. But yeah whenever the 60s Jetsons came on I could tell they were from the same period the original Flintstones series had been made (granted even The Flintstones 60s series itself became more kiddified as time went, case in point the Gazoo episodes, so even if it had continued around that time, The Jetsons would likely have succumbed to that direction either way).

In defence of Orbitty, I don't really remember him 'taking over the show' like so many gimmick addition characters. In fact from what I heard he appeared in one season and that was it, and I don't really remember him appearing much in that one. He was an alien creature I suppose, something to utilise the space age theme of the show.