1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Jetsons seasons

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by rajzfilm, May 15, 2014.

1. rajzfilm

rajzfilm Member

Which episodes of The Jetsons do you like better?

I was suprised when I found out the first season was made in 1962-63 and the rest was made in 1985-87. When I watched the show the two blocks weren't separated.

I think seasons 2-3 were better than season 1. First of all, the animation and visuals are better, with more colours. Second, season 1 didn't feature much Rosie, Elroy and Judy. Mr Spacely was also underused, and I think Orbitty was a good addition. And third, the later seasons were wackier. With lots of silly sci-fi stories. Special mention goes to the two episodes that end with George and Jane having sex.

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

LOL. What episodes are those??

3. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

I remember seeing one 80's episode on the Kids' WB website where the Jetsons' marriage turned out to be invalid (just after George forgot their anniversary, no less), and George had to woo and marry Jane again. This being a Hanna-Barbera cartoon, he succeeds, and he heads into a hotel room with Jane in his arms, and the two leave a "Do Not Disturb" sign or something and start fooling around. Obviously, we never actually see it go into full blown love-making, but the implications are pretty obvious for most of the adult audience (and looking back, I'm honestly stumped as to any idea how Bill and Joe got away with that).

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

You're dreaming, dude. That stuff didn't happen back then.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Funny, while admittedly it's been years since I've seen anything Jetsons related, I honestly don't remember Orbitty doing that much on the show. The only real standout performance Orbitty had that I can recall is his introductory episode, for most of the eps I can remember, Orbitty was just there.

6. ToonReel

ToonReel Member

I remember one where some sort of mad scientist wants to capture Orbitty, then they find out he's a fashion designer or something (it's been a while since I seen so correct me if I'm wrong). That might actually be a more notable appearance for Orbitty since it established more of a personality for him while his debut was more Astro centric.

It's been a long time since I've seen the Jetsons, though I have much clearer memories of the 80s seasons, that were repeated more frequently here in the UK. I remember wanting to see more of the 60s ones, It seemed more nostalgic and less prone to gimmicks, like how the first few Flintstones seasons were (though it didn't take till the eighties to bog that one down).

The Jetsons Movie surely gets some credit, for all people complain about Tiffany, it must be worth something George O Hanlon and Mel Blanc stayed on till their deaths!

And of course there's the Spumco episodes.... :p

7. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

That episode you're talking about is "Haunted Halloween".

8. Carrie White

Carrie White Guest

I much prefer the original season myself, although I don't think the 80s episodes were bad overall. I thought the stories in the later ones were weaker, and I think it had to do with the fact that they were more targeted toward young kids. It was still nice to see more stories about the family, and I really liked how Rosie was featured more prominently. I have to disagree about Spacely being underused. I think they used him just right in the original season. But they really overdid him in the later episodes, and made him even more tyrannical. He went to more obsessive lengths to make George's life miserable and many times, him and his conflict with Cogswell was shoved into stories that could've stood well enough on their own.

I also feel Orbitty was an unnecessary addition, no offense meant to those who like him. He only had three episodes where he played a significant part in (his introduction episode, the Halloween episode with the cliche mad scientist, and the clipshow episode), and otherwise he didn't do much of anything aside from... being there. The writers only chose to acknowledge him otherwise to deliver a cutesy line of dialogue, and there's plenty of episodes where he doesn't appear or does for one scene and disappears for the rest of the episode. They did try to give him justification with his ability to fix things as shown in his introduction, but that wasn't used much. Besides, they already had Astro, who could fill in for the lovable pet and Elroy's pal.

For the record, OP wasn't kidding those... scenes with George and Jane. One that comes to mind, "Invisibly Yours, George", ends with George having no clothes on, barring a robe, as he and Jane are in their space car and uses the invisible spray on the both of them and by all implications... well, you just have to see it for yourself and be the judge.

#8 Carrie White, May 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
  9. rajzfilm

rajzfilm Member

I started this thread because I recently bought the first season on DVD. I was really suprised.
    All the colourful sci-fi technology and their machine malfunctions that made Jetsons memorable to me are nonexistent.
    The hilarious dinamic between George and Spacely and also Cogswell are hardly present. Spacely sounds and is too nice.
    Only one episode centers around Judy and Elroy also doesn't get many episodes. It's always about George and Jane.

It feels like the first season of the Simpsons where the show isn't developed yet.

Btw, the two sex episodes are "The Cosmic Courtship of George and Jane" and "Invisibly Yours, George".

10. ToonReel

ToonReel Member

I heard this was something of a pivot with John Kricfalusi's work, thinking it was a great idea when he watched it as a kid, but ridiculously conservative and limited. One of his first prominent works in the animation business was working on the revival, though he wasn't big on that either, especially since the HB 'fun police' made him edit out any of his more surreal gags.

So the crazed gags used in "Father And Son Day" and "The Good Son" I supposed could be considered his way of venting out all the unused wackiness he had to bottle in beforehand.

11. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Oooh, yeah. I remember these now. While not falt-out stated, it was pretty heavily implied.

12. Carrie White

Carrie White Guest

I thought Spacely was a little too over-the-top in the '80s episodes, personally. Then again, I mostly preferred the episodes that were more about the family and less about him and Cogswell's attempts at one-upping each other.

13. josie

josie Well-Known Member

I prefer the 60s episodes, the animation is MUCH better, the music, the 60s obsession with space, future and sci-fi gimmicks etc. It's surprising and a big shame the show didn't last for a couple more seasons in the 60s, like The Flintstones. I really wonder how the show would develop but I assume it would be better and more fun.

The 80s episodes are ok but I really hate the animation and the colours, I mean that terrible yellow they used for people's skin, yuck..... The animation was a bit different in some episodes, with better colours, but still the characters really looked bad and distorted most of the time.

That said, I love the Jetsons movies made in 80s.

14. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Yeah. Rosie only appeared in two episodes of season one despite her being in the season one end credits. Now I did like those since they sort of parallel the Flintstones end credits. But the fact that we saw more of Rosie, Astro and others in the 80s seasons is one reason to give the 80s my vote. Plus I agree that the animation is better as well as the voice cast. People say that's a little off since the actors returned to the show after 20 years, but I still think the voices are better established around this time period. For example, I like when Mr. Spacely sounds like Yosemite Sam. See I grew up in the era with "The Jetsons Movie" (which I know was 1990, but close enough) and "The Jetsons Meet the Flinstones." So I have to go with the 80s on this one.

15. Carrie White

Carrie White Guest

The animation varied at times since certain episodes were done by different companies overseas. I thought some of them looked really good, but others not so much. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who hated that yellow-ish tint they used for the characters' skin in certain episodes.

16. ToonReel

ToonReel Member

I do kinda wished they'd kept the original fully animated end credits, especially for the iconic gag and the endless parodies it formed ("Did you not hear me back there?!?"). XD

I'm mixed about the animation. While the 80s is admitedly smoother, I have a fondness for HB's retro style from the 50s and early 60s.

Mr Spacely actually sounded more relaxed in the 80s cartoon due to Mel Blanc's weaker voice (he actually couldn't voice Sam anymore since it was too rough on his vocal chords). Some of his later roles were unique since it was harder to tell it was the same guy who did Bugs and Daffy (eg. Heathcliff). There's a tragic tint to hearing George's voice at this point though, O' Hanlon had suffered a stroke around this point, giving him short term memory loss and partial blindness. He struggled especially recording his lines for the movie, and poignantly died in the studio just after finishing his job.

You have to admire the two guys dedication to their roles up to their dying moments (only for the movie to ironically get panned for replacing Judy Jetson's voice).

17. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

Good comments, all BTW welcome Carrie White..newcomer. (Who did you think played you bet in movies-Sissy Spacek in 1976 or Chloe Grace Moretz just last year. Just kidding, welcome.). John Kricfalusi of Ren and Stimpy worked n those....
    He wasn' too fnd of Orbitty (and neither was I) but as a Judy fan personally,m I enjoyed more of her, Rosie and the others..Nice to hear the originalcast again, even Howie Morris in his HB role at the show that gave him his first HBrole ...Was also fun hearing Frank Nelson ("Ooh would I' and "Yessssss!"?) just before he died (Sept.1986) in a few guest spots.

18. superdude

superdude king of cool

I didn't like the animation on the 80s Jetsons. I thought it looked to stiff, sterile and empty. The 60s animation had more personality and warmth for sure. I also found the 60s epiosdes much funnier.

19. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I agree,the revivals animation was a little to bright for my taste and the quality felt not much different though, but it was just slightly of from the 60's version.

20. ZeroKelvin

ZeroKelvin One poppin' pariffero

From what I remember watching reruns on Boomerang (when they were on, mind you), the 80s episodes were more science fiction-y than most of the 60s ones. Not that I'd say it's a bad change in format but the later episodes kept the sitcom formula to an extent, at least in my opinion. Yeah the 80s version had some legit criticism (being more geared towards kids is a common complaint I hear, one that the Flintstones past the first few seasons of the original and beyond shares) but it does have some good episodes. One episode I remember was the one where a shape-shifting glob reeks havoc by impersonating George which I thought was a neat concept, but then there was another one where George shrinks down to the size of a Smurf which was the typical "person gets shrunken, tries to get big again" plot. I did notice the animation which, yes, looked brighter than the 60s version but at the same time look a lot less detailed in some areas (though for me personally, a lot of Hanna-Barbera shows in the 80s and 90s looked really great).

As for Orbitty... I don't recall ever seeing an episode with him in it. He's on every title card clinging on to the Jetson family space car like a hitchhiker, but that's all I remember seeing him in (and from the 80s episodes I have seen he's not in them, so the writers probably couldn't think of anything to do with him after his debut).