1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Jessica Jones" Episode 1 "AKA Ladies Night" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Nov 20, 2015.

?

How do you rate this episode?

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ***

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. *

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Following a tragic end to her brief superhero career, Jessica Jones tries to rebuild her life as a private investigator, dealing with cases involving people with remarkable abilities in New York City.

[​IMG]

Episode 1 "AKA Ladies Night" Talkback

Friday, November 20, 2015 @ 12 a.m. on Netflix

Jessica Jones is hired to find a pretty NYU student who's vanished, but it turns out to be more than a simple missing persons case.

If you saw the whole season and want to talk about it all:
    #1: "Series Talkback"

#1 Yojimbo, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Saw the first episode and...well, alrighty than!

I went into Daredevil knowing partially aware of who the character was. I dived into Jessica Jones with no inkling on who the heck she is, so pretty much any spoilers for me might already be news to the average Marvel fan.

Man, what an impression the first episode left. I think I like it better than Daredevil's' introduction. I'm not sure what Kilgrave specifically did, but I can hazard a guess. I'm not too sure how I feel about this kind of subject matter being used with yet another female character (though I'm aware this was also in the comics?), but Jessica Jones has the strength to let the main character deal with it through her POV. And from what I'm seeing, there's already layers to her character. Her witty sarcasm seems like a defense mechanism to keep her grounded both from her PTSD and her line of work, she's presented with clear issues she needs to slowly deal with, and she's proven she knows what she's doing. I think they do a good job presenting her as a complex character and I'm digging it so far. I like the use of purple and psychological images to ambiguously hint what Kilgrave specifically did to her.

The episode really makes good use of intense scenarios. Having Jessica drag Hope out is a powerful moment because the latter is so visibly affected by Kilgrave's powers that she's tormented until they're a good ways away. Then they get to the part where she shoots her parents, tells Jessica to "smile", and then realize what she's done and I'm just sitting here getting goosebumps. It's an incredibly frightening and effective way to get across the power of mind manipulation.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I still haven't watched Daredevil (there are TOO MANY SHOWS, that's why), but this kind of character is right up my alley, so I couldn't wait. That was an amazing first episode...and thank you, Yojimbo, for making the talkbacks individual because I hate people who somehow binge Netflix shows in one day and then spoil everything.

This entire series probably needs a giant trigger warning splashed on it, though. People with actual PTSD won't be able to sit through it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

You're welcome, Peter!

5. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Finally got to see the show. My bro and his roomie and I are watching two eps at a time, same as we did with Daredevil.

Kilgrave is a DD foe dating back to 1964, created by Stan Lee & Joe Orlando (yes, Orlando did work for someone other than DC). They're using him here because Bendis used him at the end of the Alias book that this show's based on. He's meant to be Jessica's Kingpin, if ya will.

Attorney Jeri Hogarth is actually a guy in the books. Gender-flipped just to be different. Not too bad, actually. Cage looks streamlined. When he was introduced over 40 years ago, that steel skin supposedly upped his weight to 300 pounds.

Methinks I'm going to be investing in the Alias TPBs and The Pulse, if I can find it.