1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

I will say that every time a Jem thread starts at Shout Factory's forums, it tends to get pretty long. So the interest is there.

Plus just google "Jem" and you'll see a bunch of fan sites. Jem youtube videos get a ton of responses from girl fans (and males) around 25-30 years of age or so.

So there's definitely a fanbase there. Maybe not as big as Transformers, but definitely on a higher level than, say, your average anime TV series.

Heck, if Jem had no fans this thread would've been DOA instead of getting up to page 3.

2. MadWritter

MadWritter Guest

Page 4 with your and my posts.

3. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

4 pages already, I guess Jem is pretty popular. It deserves to be, it is a good show. They have several fan websites, and a popular subject on many message boards, as previously mentioned. I started a Jem fan fic on fanfiction.net and got more feedback that I thought I would.

#63 zoombie, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
  4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I tried watching Jem once. The Holograms were in a boat, and then the Misfits zoomed by in another boat and capsized them, and they said "Oh no! Like, we need new accessories!" So they went to the shoe store, and they stayed in there for the next five minutes, and I turned it off.

This show IS for girls. And so is Sailor Moon.

5. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

'In Stitches', and the reason they needed new accessories was because Shana's entire career in fashion was hinging on them not looking like drowned rats. Not the most action oriented episode, but it had one of the best Hologram songs featured 'Time is Running Out'.

The show was designed for girls, yes, but there are plenty of action/adventure aspects for the boys, as well.

Personally, I'd suggest watching the episodes 'The Princess & The Singer', 'The Presidential Dilemna', 'Intrigue at the Indy 500', and 'Music is Magic' as episodes to base a real opinion of the series on since those episodes had a larger scope of danger/action for the heroes.

6. zoombie

Yeah I agree. But what I suggest is to watch the first five episodes, also known as the Battle Of The Bands arc from start to finish, that really got me into the series.

7. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

Most of us are not saying everyone is going to like it. For some boys, there's some guilty pleasure aspect to it, just as there is when watching Transformers and G.I. Joe. These aren't masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination. But for some people there's a certain charm to the dialogue, stories and designs that appeal to more than just one sex exclusively.

8. zoombie

Personally I think the diologue, and stories appeals to me more than the action, or at least I find more important than the action. Because a show in which it is just mindless action, with everyone blasting machine guns in their mecha's at each other, without any real point to it, other than good vs evil, with no deep characters, is as big of a turn off to me, as a series with nothing but girly fluff like tea parties and talking about clothing.

Except for most of the episodes wrapping the main story up, instead of one main story that doesn't get concluded till the last episode, Jem reminds me of anime.

May I note, that despite the everything works out in the end, the world is a rainbow, everything always works out image that Jem has, there are a few dark episodes that have a dark ending and not everything works out. For example "Father's Day", "Video Wars", and even "The Music Awards", not only for the final image, but what people seem to forget, that kid's dad is still a drunk a - hole. Granted it not dark like say Mobile Suit Gundam 00 episode "Homeland Burning", but still they are dark in their own way for the Jem universe. One of the things I love about Jem, it doesn't give kids the naive message that everything always works out. In the Jem world, things still work out more than it does in real life, but still not all the time. Sometimes the world can be a crual place.

Two episodes to avoid in my book are "Renaissance Woman" and "Journey Through Time", these episodes really insult the intelligence of the audiance. Oh well, every series has some of those clunckers.

#68 zoombie, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2009
  9. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

In the commentary for 'The Music Awards', Christy Marx said that kid was supposed to get another episode, but for some reason or another, it didn't happen.

I just wish Jem had gotten a feature film treatment. Apparently there was one in the works, but Transformers and My Little Pony bombing at the box office, and sending G.I. Joe straight to video apparently killed any chances of Jem getting a movie.

I have a feeling if Jem had actually got her movie, a third season of 30 or so episodes would have been greenlit as well.

10. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

Hey guys,

I just started a Jem fan series in the Story Board called "Jem and Friends: The Animated Series."

It's a fan series fic composed of four different segments: Jem, Ashley and the Starlights, Jem Team-Up, and Jem: The Next Generation, so there's something for everyone who's a Jem fan.

Check it out. You might like it.

Kenny. :cool: