1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

I see the Misftis having a much longer career than Jem & the Holograms, I also see the Holograms staying together more out of loyalty to the memory of Emmet and Jaqui Benton as well as a loyalty to Jerrica and the starlight girls. Kimber wants to be her own woman, Jerrica is by the end of the series really wanting ot be rid of the whole Jem thing and devoter her time to living just her life. Shanna has interests outside of the Holograms namely her fashion and I think she'd be the first one to get married and have a family and with her skills in fashion would probably set up her own shop probably with Regine and Jerrica as a "silent partner" to help her get the business started. Aja who think is the best performer of the band may decide to go and join Craig over seas or join another band.

The Misfits on the other hand a united out of their love for the music and even though none of them except for Stormer would ever admit it they have become a family in their own right. The Misfits even went to Starlight music to get Stormer to rejoin them. I cn see Roxy and Stormer both doing solo work here and now, but I think they'll always "come home" to the Misfits.

Personally, I think the Misfits at Starlight music would be a good thing, the only real problem with it is that Jerrica Benton and Phyliss "Pizzazz" Gabor are a little too similar in terms of personality both can be very stuborn and insettent in having things done their way. Also I've always thought that one of the problems between the two women is that they are kinda envious of the other Jerrica with all her responsablities probably admires who Pizzazz can do what ever she wants to, while Pizzazz knows that Jerrica is the type of woman that her father wishes she was. I can se Jerrica and Pizzaz developing a love/hate relationship. And I can see Kimber joining the Misfits too, Pizzazz knows how talented Kimber is, plus you have her relationship with Stormer and the two work well together and Kimber has always struck me as more of a Misfit than a Hologram. Also I don't see why they couldn't restart Misfits Music as a seperate label at Starlight Music in the real worl there are several companies that one various different labes. Misfits MUsic could be the home for more edgier artists that don't exactly fit under the image that people have of Starlight Music. I think that Jetta could make a great manager for the band she's very intellgent and quick on herfeet the main problem for the Misfits is that outsitde of their music they don't really take anything interesting.

2. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

This is some fascinating discussion you guys have here. Unfortunately I barely remember the series and wish I could get my hands on a DVD set which isn't overpriced. G.I. Joe and Transformers have gotten new DVDs...I wonder if Jem will? I have doubts but this is the missing link to my Sunbow collection.

3. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Interesting theories. If the Misfits were to join Starlight Music, I think for sure Pizzazz would give some conditions, which would allow to Misfits to have their creative freedom and independence. Jerrica in responce would make one condition of own her own, which is just don't do any illegal that will get you arrested.

I give Pizzazz credit, for a heiress, she has some street savy. I am confident in her chances on surviving on the streets. The other Misfits for sure as well, but that is to be expected considering their backgrounds. But for a rich spoiled heriess, she is not that sheltered like a typical heiress and pretty tough. She is not a typical spoiled heriess.

I don't know about you guys, but I think the Misfits would defentely be more fun to hang with than the Holograms. They are defentely the more cooler group. The Holograms can be a little too goody goody like the Clevers or the Bradys. Granted getting kicked out of places and being on the run for causing trouble can get old, but being around goody two shoes gets old faster for my taste. The only thing that makes the arguement close is Synergy and the holographic powers. Take away Synergy, who is likely to be more fun to be around, good girls that always follow the rules, or the unpredictable bad girls.

Watching some old wrestling programming today, the Misfits remind me of the Freebirds. We all know, they are bad, there way of life is wrong, but it is way more fun.

#43 zoombie, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
  4. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

Okay folks, since Marvel Productions co-produced the series with Sunbow, here's the ultimate superhero crossover question for the Holograms and Misfits: Which Marvel superhero would you like to see hang out with the Holograms, and which one would hang out with the Misfits? And give reasons for each!

Me, Pizzazz would go with Tony Stark. The guy is just as rich as Harvey Gabor, and he's got that cool Iron Man armor to boot! I mean who wants to see Pizzazz in a bewitching zebra-striped version of IM armor, plus who wants to see Phyllis Gabor and Tony Stark get drunk and Stark Enterprises try to buy out Gabor Industries in a takeover deal?

I see Jerrica going out with Steve Rogers, aka Captain America. They're both blonde, superheroic at times, and one carries a stars-and-stripes shield while the other wears star-shaped earrings. Plus, one leads the Avengers while one leads the Holograms! Nuff Said!

Maybe Kimber Benton hangs out with Peter Parker since she looks like a prettier and wilder version of Mary Jane Watson. And Mary Phillips would hang out with Johnny Storm, bringing a new meaning to "Fire and Ice!" Storm bringing the fire (as the Human Torch), and Stormer bringing the ice!

Kenny:evil:

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Dazzler (X-Men) would make a great match with the Holograms.

6. zoombie

True, the Holograms and the Misfits are both familes, but familes that very different in the way they act like a family. While the Holograms will express their feelings and give lots of hugs. The Misfits don't do that, they keep their feelings to themselfs.

A perfect example of comparing the two "familes" is the episode "The Bands Break Up", which both bands have the same problems caused by the exact same thing, and you see how different they are in the ways they deal with it. The line at the end of that epsiode is a perfect recap, of how they learned something about themselfs, though also I felt Stormer and us the viewing audiance learned something about the other Misfits. In their own way, they care, they just don't express it the same way as the Holograms. BTW, one of my favorite episodes.

For all the evidence that people bring up that the Misfits don't care about each other and are not a family, people bring up, Pizzazz treating to kick Stormer out of the group in "The Talent Search", it so obvious, that was a bluff. Pizzazz was just trying to get her way with a empty threat, which of course backfired greatly at the end, it got someone else who also didn't know it was a bluff, steamed at them.

7. Tora Yakari

Tora Yakari I like them guppies, Simon.

This show is such a guilty pleasure for me... it's so dang girly! But the 5-part pilot was on YouTube and I couldn't get enough of it. Colorful animation, catchy 80s discopop tunes and magical girl anime-esque plot? Truly truly outrageous! :p
    Anyone happen to know where I can watch more episodes? I've only found the first 5. Downloads for the music would be nice too!

P.S. I think Hannah Montana TOTALLY ripped off this show. Jem could kick Miley's prissy butt anyday though!

8. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

While we're at it, Eric Raymond would probably hang out with one of marvel's evil corporate villains (ie, obidiah stane) and as for Rio, since there are scenes of him fixing and building starlight house, i can see him gettling along with Forge (who's mutant power is to build and repair things). Heck, they could probably add more rooms to starlight house, and make it even bigger!

9. zoombie

I know what you mean. I hate to start another west vs east comparison, but Jem is more like an anime girly show than a western girly show. I know that is not the case for ever show in the west and the east, Kim Possible (speaking of Disney) and Powerpuff Girls are among those exceptions. It is girly on the outiside in terms of fashion and having the main characters be female, but it has action which boys will like and deep character driven story arcs, which anime does a lot of, that all people can relate to. One thing that seperates Kim Possible and PPG from this conversation, is it is a outright comedy and the action is not as intense nor are the characters as deep as in a serious show like Jem. But there are other exception like She Ra, and shows bases on comic book heroine like Wonder Woman.

I know lots of anime shows in which the cast is mostly female, and the action and story telling is no different from animes for boys and multy gender audiance, and it has as many male fans as female fans. Though they have girly elements, just like Jem. Sailor Moon, Tokeo Mew Mew, Lucky Star for example.

One difference that is so obvious between Jem and Hannah Montana, is the motives of the duel identity and the risks of it being revealed. Jerrica original created the Jem alto ego to save her father's music company from the clutches of Eric Raymond which would mean no financial support for her foster girls, and later to give a home for her foster girls to live in. Jem does everything for others. While Miley does everything for herself. The reason for her duel identity is because she could have her cake and eat it to. She wants to be famous but not have the hassels of being famous, and be able to turn on and off the fame whenever she pleases. Jem has to keep her identity secret, so no one will find out about Synergy, which if it fell into the wrong hands could cause major harm to the world. While if people found out who Hannah Montana realy was, Miley would have to live a life of a normal celebirty. Big deal, compared to what Jem has to worry about. Miley makes the Misfits look selfless by comparision. Saving father's company and helping orphans, keeping the world save > A teenager not be hasstle by the media, and have everyone worship her 24 / 7.

PS: Is there a Jem abridged series? If so, where can I find it? What can I say, I have a good sense of humor.

#49 zoombie, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2009
  10. Jigen Daisuke

Jigen Daisuke Member

I remember JEM during it's original run. I wasn't a fan..I just couldn't get into it since I was a boy. It came on around the same time as G.I. Joe and Transformers..so I watched it a few times since I was waiting for my shows. I remember the opening was drawn very nicely.

11. Kenny E. McCall

One thing they needed to do is to spin the Starlight Girls into their own show! Imagine all the stuff Ashley, Dierdre, Krissie, Terri, Becky and Lela could get into in their own series! We could even bring in the kids from Danse's Haven House for the first time ever on the show! Who knows, Ashley and the Starlights could be a great series!

Kenny :cool:

12. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

A topic i would have liked to see Jem tackle, though it would have been hard getting through S&P, was the whole PMRC/Warning label/rock is evil thing of the 1980s. I dont know how they could do it, maybe some parent group could claim Jem is somehow a bad influence or something, but it would be interesting.

13. Kenny E. McCall

Two of the topics that the Jem series did not cover in the series are the following:

Jem as a fashion model: This would be a high time in the new series to put Jem and the Holograms right in the middle of the modeling scene by merging two classic episodes, In Stitches and The Rock Fashion Book into one episode. That way, the Holograms and Misfits would be still involved, but that would give me an excuse to introduce a brand-new character from the Hasbro family in the form of Darci, Dana, and Erica!

Most old-school doll collectors remember this Kenner fashion doll from 1978-80, as the Darci doll was a precursor to Jem. Well, this would be Darci's very first appearance in Jem, as well as it would be the first appearance of Regine Cesaire, only reimagined as a potential rival for Shana. Also, Darci, Dana and Erica do have a past connection to Jerrica Benton, Shana Elmsford and Eric Raymond, as Darci Benton is revealed to Jerrica's cousin on her father's side of the family, Dana Elmsford is Shana's twin sister, and Erica Raymond is Eric Raymond's younger, more manipulative sister who begins to cause trouble for her big brother Eric!

Jem in the Rock and Wrestling Era: Jem, or in this case Kimber (and Stormer) are caught up in the world of professional wrestling as the devilish redhead (Kimber) and the blue-haired angel (Stormer) help a lady named Anne "Auntie Freeze" Fraley save her wrestling promotion, the Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation, from a crooked promoter called the Power Broker, who is testing a dangerous new strength-augumentation drug on Fraley's wrestlers, The Grapplers! Plus, what happens when Kimber and Stormer are reunited with two girls named Anita "Battleaxe" Ehrens and Marian "Poundcakes" Pouncy, the former being Kimber's once-chubby best friend from elementary school, and the latter being Stormer's cousin on her mother's side! It's an adventure in musical melodies and musclebound madness as there's bound to be special cameos from Ben Grimm and many of Marvel's D-list characters in this special episode featuring Kimber and Stormer as wrestling divas!

Kenny :cool:

14. zoombie

Here are a couple of thoughts. I thought it would be cool if Jem did a crossover with Johnny Quest. For a rock n roll band, Jem And The Holograms go on as many wild and dangerous adventures as the Quest clan. Of course, it would be the 80's version of Johnny Quest. I would create the idea that Dr. Benton C. Quest and Emmett Benton knew each other. Thus Dr. Quest knows a little about Synergy, and unforuntiely so does his arch enemy Dr. Zin, who knows Emmett Benton knew about some weapon, and his daughters probably know about it.

Well another thought, since this is a show about bands, I think sometimes when the bands introduce the name of the band to some character, they should do it like when teams, squardens, organisations, etc., introduce themselfs in manga / anime. Like the Sailor Soulders, Karakura Risers, etc. do. Each member strikes a pose and the name of the team is in big leaders in the background. It would be great for the bands on the show, especially the Misfits, since most of the time they introduce themselfs it is in a comidic fashion. The show has music videos, so they can suspend canon scenery. Though I would skip the introvetural members introduces and just do it for the band names.

#54 zoombie, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2009
  15. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I could actually picture the Misfits having a Team Rocket style 'Prepare for Trouble/Make it Double' entrance whenever they showed.

16. Kenny E. McCall

I'm waiting for a Jem/Ghostbusters team-up that is a remake of the first Ghostbusters flick! Just look at the pairings:

Peter Venkman/Jerrica Benton
    Raymond Stantz/Kimber Benton
    Egon Spengler/Aja Leith
    Winston Zeddemore/Shana Elmsford
    Janine Melnitz/Rio Pacheco
    Slimer/Synergy

Nuff Said!!!

17. zoombie

Hey everybody. I started a Jem fan fic, check it out on the Storyboard. It is called "Creation And Evolution Of Mischief".

It is Misfit centric, and features the character Glenn Danson, a character I created and Kenny McCall named. Thanks Kenny.

18. zoombie

Is just me or should one of the characters, either in the Holograms or within the Holograms inncircle complain whenever they go on adventures and almost get killed, and suggest that the gang take it easy and do something safe like normal rock star. And actully react what a normal person would after a life or death experience.

Not a coward like Shaggy Rogers, but just someone that prefers to take it easy for once. None of the protagonist exhibit those traits ever, in the first season a couple of times, Roxy of all people acted like the sensable person, most noteably "Music Awards Pt 2" was really afraid to get on the handglinder. And when he not playing villain, at times Eric Raymond can act that way too, like in "Aztec Enchantment".

Seriously you would think when Jem / Jerrica wants to go tressure hunting or climb a mountain on a exotic land, one of the Holograms would object.

19. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Jem isn't as likely to get another dvd release the way that GI Joe and Transformers are getting. Here's my reasoning why. Jem was a series that was basically 100% for girls. And from what I've noticed, girls don't seem to have the nostalgia for purchasing dvds of cartoons from their childhood the way that boys do. There are some girls that are into cartoons, but usually it's more like The Simpsons, Family Guy, etc. I can't say that I know one girl who'll sit and watch dvds of cartoons from their childhood.

Yes Jem, GI Joe, and Transformers were products of Marvel animation. But I don't consider them to be a part of the Marvel universe in the least. I considered the three to be in their own universe. If you've read some of the posts by me before, or if you look at the album in my profile, you'll see how I feel about Marvel.

20. zoombie

I disagree with that. First of all girls buy DVDs too. But more importantly, the show was written for both boys and girls. The writers and producers were aiming for a multy gender audiance. Is the marketing department that help give that false impression that Jem was a girls show. Saying Jem is just for girls, is like saying Sailor Moon is just for girls. If anything it's writing style is closer to a boys show than a girls show. Though really it is a mix of both. Speaking of which, I hate to say it, but if Jem was a anime / manga series, it would have had more male fans and be seen as the multiple gender series that was.

A better arguement to be made, is like it or not, Jem is not iconic as Transformers or GI Joe. It only had one 65 episode series. It just not on the same level as those two shows. I don't think gender as anything to do with it, it is just not as famous as TF and GIJ. I guess I agree with you, but I disagree with the reasons.

On the subject of Marvel, if I can get back to the subject of gender, back than they had the comic book rights to Jem. I would have loved to have seen a Jem comic book series, it would have been a good read. But since Jem was promoted as a show for girls, they didn't release a comic book series, because most comic book buyers are boys.

#60 zoombie, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009