1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Understood. Anyway if that is the case, even though the real Misfits were broken up when the Jem franchise was in full use, whatever rights the real Misfits have to that name, is no different than when they are together touring. I am sure there is someone that owns the rights to name The Beatles. You said they sell Holograms and Misfits T - shirts, you still need a licence for that.

If there is a licence issue with the Misfits name, worse comes to worse, they can just change the name of the band. Christy Marx and / or Hasbro, they own the rights to the characters that make up the Misfits. Pizzaz, Roxy, Stormer, and Jetta were created by Christy Marx, if they had to use a different name for their group, for fans familar with them, it might take some time getting used to, but it is not that big of a deal.

Speaking of the Misfits, I thought Gargoyles and Pokemon were the first to give the antagonists, the some depth and character development they would the protagonists. There are episodes like "The Band Breaks Up", "Father's Day", "Roxy's Rumble", in which the Misfits are giving some character depth and our beyond being the group that causes so much trouble for Jem And The Holograms.

In "Roxy's Rumble", Jem And The Holograms take a back seat, and don't have a storyline at all, other than being there for their reading awareness event, the episode is told from the Misfits prospective. I compliment them for doing something different beyond having everyone play the same roles ever episode. Unusual for shows of its time.

#21 zoombie, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009
  2. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

The same thing is true for the ep "Alone Again". Outside of some brief cameos by the holograms, Jem is the only recurring character to show up in the episode, and the misfits are nowhere to be seen in the ep. Instead, the episode deals with a new girl named Laura coming to live at Starlight House, her loneliness, and getting addicted to drugs.

3. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

Agreed,I remember awhile back that some Jem fans were suggessting that the girls be renamed the "Missfits". Copyrights are a very tricky thing and I'd have to do some research when I get home tonight, but I don't believe that any of the t-shirts that feature Pizzazz, Roxy and Stormer feature the Misfits name on them and most of them feature the artwork form the Doll boxes instead of the cartoon versions.

Also I'm glad you mentioned about Jem giving the antagonists depth a lot of people forget about that. All four of the Misfits got at least one epiode of their own to show why they are who they are and I find them to be far more interesting than the Holograms and the Stingers were also given a fair emount of depth. Infact I think we knew more about the Misfits and Stingers than we did the Holograms; only Jerrica/Jem and Kimber were really the only ones to ever be "fleshed out" and I'm really glad to see someone mentioning "Alone Agian" it's one of my faves even though the Misfits aren't in it and I really love getting to see Jerrica in the driver's seat instead of Jem. Unlike Superman or Batman I think Jerrica Benton is far more interesting and complex than her alter ego is.

4. zoombie

I agree, personal I find the Misfits more interesting than the Holograms overal. They are more relatable characters IMO because they are very flawed. Except for Kimber who is the rebellious one, Jem And The Holograms are almost flawless characters. They always morally right. Just like I find the Team Rocket regulars more relatable characters than Ash and friends. Though in the early episode, the Misfits were way more evil and doing more dangerious stunts. As the series progressed, and they did less dangerous stunts, I became as emotional invested in them as I did Jem And The Holograms.

The Stingers not so much, nothing personal, and I am glad they got some character depth as well, they just weren't there long enough. In "Riot's Hope", when Riot work things out with his father, I felt happy for him, but just not the same feeling, I would have gotten if maybe we know him from the beginning of the series, or a longer period of time than the handful of episodes he was in. It was so much, so fast with those characters.

#24 zoombie, May 22, 2009
  5. Elven Moon

Elven Moon hiya, toonsters

I was a BIG fan of Jem when I was kid (I can still remember getting the doll for my birthday), yet sadly I don't remember anything from the TV series at all :( If only somebody would try to release it on DVD again, or at least put reruns somewhere, so I could refresh my memory.

6. acidicmilk

acidicmilk It is Optimus Prime

Rant.

I honestly don't understand why they are making live action movies of old cartoons.
    I agree wholeheartedly that Jem is a product of its time. And what that means is not that a popstar show would not be famous right now, people seem to not understand that. What it actually means is that if Jem were revived it would have to be heavily altered in order to be relevant to today's particular "standards" (for lack of a better word) of fame, pop-music, children's shows, cartoons, etc.
    It could not have the same values as it did because children today do not have the same kind of values. It could not have the same fashion sense, it could not have the same type of music, it could just not function the same way. And so it would not be Jem, it would be something else.
    You could argue that Hannah Montana was developed from the Jem premise (I, of course, have no idea if that was the case), and that's we would get.

Think of Transformers and how famous it is today (the new movies) and how it was "developed" from the original 80's show but changed SO MUCH that it could be a stand-alone robot movie. They are just using the franchise to make it a bigger deal (and quite possibly to market new toys, in the same way that the original cartoon was used to market their existing toys).

I do know that I'm a purist, elitist, bitter 24 year old who HATES to see her childhood chopped up, re marketed and re packaged to show in theatres so I am completely biased against any kind of remake.

I am of the thought that if an executive thinks that something (a show or a movie) is still relevant enough to make money off of it, then they should air the originals. It's been so long that most people don't even remember it, it's not like they would say 'oh look it's Jem, I've seen this episode 16 years ago, I know what happens *switches tv off*'.

I, however, would probably be a bit interested in their making a movie if (and only if) they did two things: kept it in the 80's and in its own universe (no mention of actual people or brands or anything) AND made it animated, I do not need annoying popstars and celebrities protraying my beloved characters.

7. zoombie

They should release a Jem soundtrack. If Rhino could release a Josie And The Pussycats and Scooby Doo soundtrack, why not Jem.

In responce to the last post, while there are some values and issues of the 80's like the war on drugs is out dated. Other values they had are still relevent today, like losing a parent, run away kids, try to over come differences and bitterness to find peace. The last one, is the message in so many of today's animes.

In responce what the last poster said about Hannah Montana, if you compair them, Miley looks pretty selfish. Jem / Jerrica had to keep their secret, so the world wouldn't find out about Synergy, because if it falls into the wrong hands, it could be dangerous. (though personal, I don't think it is dangerous for villains to have holograms, I have seen a lot of shows when villains use holograms) While Miley keeps her secret simply to have her cake and eat it too. A brat that wants to be famous, but not have the hastle of being famous. If Hannah went on the same type of adventues Jem went on, that would be something. I dare Miley to try to do what Jem did in "Broadway Magic", when she skateboardered and handglided herself accross town. That was awsome.

#27 zoombie, May 22, 2009
  8. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

If villains got ahold of Synergy, they could use her holograms to literally impersonate anyone, like powerful influential figures and cause a lot of havoc. Like, say, someone could impersonate the president, walk into the White House and set off a whole mess of nukes.

Then there's the fact that Synergy herself (The actual equipment) for some reason can shoot destructive lasers.

I remember in one episode where Techrat used some kind of device to cause any electronic equipment it's near to go haywire, and set it off just outside of Starlight Manor. Synergy nearly fried the Holograms.

9. zoombie

I didn't think of that. I guess Synergy is more than a Hologram. I see villains all the time use a Hologram of themselfs to send a message to the heros.

I wonder if Jerrica ever thought of "killing off" either Jerrica or Jem, so she wouldn't have to live a double life and keep the excisdent of Synergy secret. Look at my avatar, no secret where I got that idea. LOL

Speaking of henchmen, Zipper is more evil than his bossess. In "Hot Time In Hawaii", he traps Kimber in a volcano and when he sees it is about to erupt, he is happy it, saying his day is better than he thought. Indicating he had no problem killing somebody. Eric and the Misfits they draw the line at killing anybody, despite the fact the Misfits has nearly killed Jem And The Holograms a bigellion times, it was never intentional nor did they realise someone could die and respond by saying "So what, let them die", which Zipper did in that episode. Clearly Zipper doesn't share the same relguence of killing as his superiors. As evident in "The Princess And The Singer".

Though I think sometimes, when she is really really mad, Pizzaz gets to a point of not caring about taking away a human life.

#29 zoombie, May 22, 2009
  10. Tobias

I'm sure she's had thoughts, but Jem & The Holograms are Starlight Music's bread & butter. If she got rid of the Jem persona, they'd lose their biggest act and have to rely on lesser talented performers like the Limp Lizards.

Then if she stopped being Jerrica, well, Jerrica's the head of the company. If Jerrica were to *die*, Kimber would inherit the company, causing Eric Raymond to pull out every stop to con her into signing away the company, despite Jerrica still being around, although in the guise of Jem.

I think the biggest reason Jem never revealed the secret, beyond keeping Synergy safe, is that Eric could override the results of the Battle of the Bands from the end of the pilot mini-series, claiming a 'conflict of interest' (or cheating). That would cause Jerrica to lose Starlight Music, the mansion, and pretty much everything.

11. zoombie

I finally seen all of the episodes. Here are some thoughts. I thought the first season finale "Glitter And Gold" was a great episode. Didn't like Rio yelling at Kimber, that is not his place. Though I was kind of hoping they would let the tie stand. But it was a perfect recap of what the series was about. The Jerrica / Jem conflict of having a double life, and the rivalory between the Holograms and the Misfits. I liked that episode better than "Hollywood Jem", which was a good episode, but for a season finale, it wasn't about the main plots of the show. Jem's movie career and Kimber's love life, those are the not the main plot.

I thought they sent a warp message with the karma. The villains except of a couple of occations ("Hot Time In Hawaii", "Rock N Roll Express", "Presidental Delemma" for example) get away unpunished. And the episode they choose to give some much needed karma to the Misfits is when they are not the villains. Like in "KJAM", they are just pawns of someone and that is when they finally go to jail?

It is the anti Team Rocket timing of karma, they only get blasted off when they are the villains, when they are on their good behavior, they don't get blasted off and sometimes even rewarded for their good behavior. And the one that really struck with me was "Journey To Shangri-La", Pizzaz and Roxy do their most nicest deed ever by far, and they get poisoned and nearly die. No good deed goes unpunished apperently.

Speaking of the Misfits, as the series progressed, they slowly became less evil. Their plots were less dangerous and homocidal. And in the second half of the series, there seemed to be a second villain in almost ever episode, that would either use the Misfits as pawns or share some of the villain spotlight with them. It is like many animes I watch. The main antganoist characters are more evil in the beginning in order to establish them as antagonist, but slowly they mellow a bit and they show more of a human side and they become more than simply antagonist characters, like Viral or the Brittanians. Same thing with the Misfits.

Am I the only one who thought "Renaissance Woman" was the worst episode? The few fans I spook to agree, this episode was awful. It didn't make any sense. Did they go back in time? Or are these renactment actors just insane.

As for the series finale "A Father Should Be", not the greatest finale in the world, there wasn't some super hype climatic battle to end all battles of the band, nor did Rio find out Jem and Jerrica secret. Very satisfied finale in terms of ending things on a possitive note. It is obvious why the Holograms and Stingers agreed to a truce from the previous episode "Riot's Hope", and despite some might say, the Holograms and Misfits truse is not that out of no where. If you watch the series beginning to end, the rivalory died down slowly, it was no where near as instense as in season 1, when the Misfits seemingly almost killed the Holograms ever episode. So it is not that far fetched, especially if you see the episode "The Day The Music Died". They were only antagonist in a couple of episodes in the last season, and the only episode they did anything underhanded was "Video Wars". Though they were the antagonists (they weren't the main antagonist in TDTMD, Riot was the main antagonist), they did nothing wrong in "Beauty And The Rock Promoter" and "The Day The Music Died", except benefit from the Jem And The Holograms misfourtune which they had nothing to do with. The Misfits just did not have that redemption moment like the Stingers or more specific Riot had in "Riot's Hope", but that is okay, it once again an example of not being cliche. The only truce that is not explained is why Pizzaz and Riot are suddenly civil to each other? Though I could understand them bonding or understand each other bit if they knew the relationships they had with their fathers.

#31 zoombie, May 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2009
  12. zoombie

Well what we have talked about of the two ways to revive this franchise outside of merchandising obviously. Live action movie, and animated series revival. Not that there is anything in the works at the moment, but should one happen, very likely the other will happen also.

Actully if a live action movie happens to be made, there is a good chance they will capitalise on it with a new animated series the following fall. (It wouldn't happen the other way around though. If they did a new animated series, the movie industry wouldn't care) They did that with Transformers, Speed Racer, among others. It seems ever tv show turned into a movie, they somehow try to capitalise with either a new tv series or dvd releases.

So Jem fans look on the bright side, if it rains, it poors. We could go from nothing to more Jem than we know what to do with. But I pray if they revive Jem in any way, as long as she is alive, they better make Christy Marx a creative consultant.

13. cyde

cyde Active Member

Jem's just old hat, glitz and fluff.:(

14. Tobias

I wouldn't want a live action. Ever. You know that if we got one, they'd change every little detail and remove everything we know and love about the Holograms. Besides, the multi-colored hair of the characters wouldn't really translate to live action. I want Stormer and Aja to keep their blue hair, Rio's to remain purple, Pizazz's green, Jem's pink, etc.

15. Eleanor Hugbees

I can't say I ever want to see this remade. I thought it was cool for it's time period and enjoyed it when I was younger.

I know this sounds stupid but its been bugging me ever since I watched this show. Isn't Rio kind of cheating on Jerrica since he doesn't know she's Jem? I guess it wouldn't bug her considering it's herself, but ..that's a pretty weird love triangle on the writers part.

16. zoombie

One idea I have is to do 30 second comedy shorts, in which characters sometimes break the fourth wall. I already have some ideas, like "How to be a Misfit" hosted by Roxy in which random girls are taught how to act like a Misfit, and a short in which the Limp Lizards play at some kids birthday party. These shorts I borrowed from Bleach.

Anyway to answer your question, it is a love traingle. Rio is cheating on Jerrica, but it is a love triangle intentional created by Christy Marx.

Another thought I have, the placing of one episode was out of place, and ignored the character development that Christy Marx had made. In the second half of the series, the Misfits started to mellow out a bit. I thought turning points was Harvey Gabor basicly calling Pizzazz's worthless or a failure, the Holograms saving the lives of two of the Misfits, and the Misfits briefly breaking up after the Stingers showed up. In the last season, they really didn't do anything bad except take advantage of Jem And The Holograms misforturne all of which they had nothing to do with. All except the episode "Video Wars", for that one episode they went back to their old ways.

#36 zoombie, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009
  17. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

While we're at it, does anyone know exactly where the show takes place? By that i mean, what state(s)/city exactly is starlight house/starlight records/misfits music located? Most of the 80s marvel/sunbow cartoons didnt use real life cities for characters home bases so its probably a case like that, but i could swear they mentioned its location.

18. zoombie

It is implied it is Los Angeles. There is only two cities that it could take place, and that is New York and Los Angeles, and they had to fly to New York on a road trip in the episode "Culture Clash", and they didn't have to leave town in "Hollywood Jem". Plus all of the radio stations have K infront of their names instead of W. But the biggest clue is "Roxy Rumble", as a road map shows a road trip from California to Philadelphia.

Speaking of which, one of the unresolved things, the Misfits never got their own music company / record label again. At the end of the series the Holograms and the Stingers were running music companies and the Misfits were subordinates to Eric Raymond and the Stingers. I defentely wanted to see them break away from Stingers Sound and restart Misfits music. That is just the way it should be.

#38 zoombie, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
  19. Tobias

All Pizazz would have to do to get the Misfits their own label would either be to go to her father or use her own money, assuming she's got some sort of trust fund going. But that's the issue.

The issue is the Misfits having *good management* to keep a company running properly, and I don't see them letting Eric Raymond handle anything involving them ever again, considering how he screwed them over in favor of the Stingers. And none of the four Misfits (or anyone associated with them) have enough business sense to keep a company afloat.

Their best bet, having gotten in good with the Holograms, would be to go under the Starlight Records label. Surely Jerrica would realize the benefit of having a major act like the Misfits under contract, provided they keep their antics under control. I recall the whole reason Jerrica wanting the Stingers to sign under Starlight was to take some of the load off the Holograms, who were the company's largest act. Taking the Misfits into the company would accomplish that. From there, Jerrica would give the Misfits a fair deal and show them what REAL success is since I'm suire Eric was skimming money from them from the get go.

20. zoombie

Details, details. The Misfits have no business sense, neither did Sam Malone, and he still got back his bar.

Anyway I think you overlooking one thing and that is character development. The Misfits are text book examples of that, they changed over the course of the series, they learned many lessons. Over time, they may have learned some business sense. I think between Harvey Gabor and Eric Raymond, Pizzazz probably learned a lot.

Actully the Misfits can be as intelligent as Jerrica / Jem And The Holograms, they just let their sperm of the moment tempers get the best of them quite often.

I would hate it if the Misfits signed with Starlight Music, anything but that. It is great that they all found peace with each other, and maybe some of them become friends, (I even think that in the 2000's, they would tour together on a rotating bill tour called "Hell Freezes Over" or "Cold Day In Hell") but I would hate for them to be subodinates of the Holograms, a band in which they are on equal footing, just wouldn't seem right to me. I just think they earned their independence as much as anybody with their success.

Besides it is a cartoon, sometimes you have to over look stuff like that. I have seen series end in which characters that have less political knowledge than the Misfits have business knowledge run countries, so in comparrion to the Misfits managing a music company is not as far fetched.

#40 zoombie, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009