1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Anyone remember this 1980's cartoon show, which apperentely was based on a brand of dolls. But I digrice, I recentely came familar with this show, and watching episodes of this show. I never saw it back in its original run. And I was very surprised over what the show was like. And how exciting it was.

I expected one of two things, it would be about high school girls that are rock stars and the subject to be high school trival matters like will the boy I like ask me out, or I have zit, etc. Or to be over the top believeability about them saving the world every episode from would be dictator, terroriest, and mad scienctest. (though it was okay when Josie and the gang did that)

You get past the secret identity and that hologram powers, and taking care of orphans on the side, it is not that out there. It is an awsome show. For a show that suppose to be for girls, it has a lot of intense action. A lot of cool plots that anyone would enjoy, not to mention Greg Weismon was a writer on that show, enough said. He would go on to great things.

I don't care much for the few episodes that deal with saving the world and envolve the president and heads of states. It is better when they stick to the music world, which they do for the most part. And it is fine when they deal with social issues like drugs and the enviroment. As long as it doesn't to far and have the president, royalty, or would be dictators involved.

What made the show, was the rivalory between the Holograms and the Misfits. It was a battle of the bands almost ever week. When the Misfits are not around to cause trouble, it just not as interesting. I thought one would be fun episode would have been Jem and the Holograms and their allies taking on the Misfits and their allies in a baseball game.

I also like that, non of the girls are stereotype characterjures. There is no brainac girl with glasses who talks weird, nor a girl that was a complete airhead.

The one character I didn't like too much, was Jem / Jerrica's boyfriend Rio.

As for the songs themselfs, I admit, they are pretty catchy songs. They are not as good as Josie And The P.Cats songs, but still they are good. The Misfits songs were just as good as Jem And The Holograms songs. Did they do any cover songs?

Anyway your opinions on this show?

#1 zoombie, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

The weird thing is that Hasbro has been relaunching/updating it's other franchises from the 1980s (My Little Pony, G.I. Joe, Transformers), but not Jem for some unknown reason. Hasbro has just swept Jem under the rug and is now acting like it never existed. Beats me why (so far) there has been no attempt on Hasbro's part to bring Jem into the 21st century.

#2 Goldstar Neo, May 18, 2009
  3. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

I was a big fan of the show myself, so I can tell you that neither the Holograms nor Misfits did any cover songs, unlike Alvin and the Chipmunks during their run on NBC two years before Jem started her run in syndication.

At least both girl groups did original songs, most of them written by Ford Kinder and Anne Bryant, who were most known for their musical work on many of the Sunbow/Marvel shows during the 80's.

Britta Phillips would provide Jem/Jerrica's singing voice, while Samantha Newark, herself a singer, would provide the character's speaking voice. The same can be said for Phyllis "Pizzazz" Gabor, for Patricia Alice Albrecht provided Pizzazz's speaking voice, while Ellen Bernfeld provided her singing voice, as well as some of the incidental singing voices for both the Holograms and Misfits.

4. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I loved this show, and the fact that none of the girls ever came close to the horrific 'Bratz' stereotypes that being pretty is all that matters. Come to think of it, that might be why Hasbro's ignoring the show because unlike Bratz or the other current doll lines out there, Jem sends a POSITIVE message to girls that hard work and helping others are the most important things.

I wsh that Jem had gotten a movie like the other Hasbro properties. Rumor was that Jem was on the fast track to getting a film, but the bombing of Transformers and My Little Pony's feature films, and G.I. Joe's eventual going to direct to video with their film halted plans for it.

5. zoombie

I think that is probably because the franchise is such a product of its time. It could only have done in the 80's, at least in the way it was done. Like if Paramount wanted to do a Saturday Night Fever remake, it just stuck in its time.

Though a sequel with their daughters forming bands, maybe. But still, the music would have to be different.

Though if they did a live action movie, I hope the plot is still faithful to the series, and not too over the top. Like if the plot is Eric Raymond (or however you spell his name) using the Misfits music to literal rule the world (like the plot in the Josie And The P. Cats movie), that would be terrible. But if the plot is similar to the opening Battle Of The Bands arc, that could be a fun movie.

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked Jem, liked the style of the show and all of the little music videos and songs. Rewatching some episodes, I really don't like the Misfits. They were almost literally getting away with murder on that show. I've joked around with my cousins that Hannah Montana is pretty much a Jem copycat.

7. zoombie

Actully they were literally getting away with attempted murder, but who's counting. LOL But I know what you mean, why didn't Jem and the Holograms ever call the cops on them? I know they have high price lawyers to bail them out, but only so much they can do. I would have had them arrested, at least after the second time they almost got me killed. Just because it was never premedated, doesn't make it any better.

8. Sabregroove

Sabregroove Member

Some people like to rag on this show, but I've always loved it. If they ever did a live-action movie, i would have to DEMAND that it be set in the 80's. I wouldn't even DREAM of trying to bring it current in an effort to make it "relevant to modern movie-goers." Anyway, I used to love Kimber and Stormer. There was a sincerity to those characters that just doesn't seem to exist in animation now. American TV animation, anyhow.

Zoombie, I hope you're able to see the Season Three episodes that introduce Riot and the Stingers, the semi-evil third party rock group that comes into the picture. When you take into account the love triangle between Jem/Rio/Riot and one particularly impressive episode where Riot's home life is discussed, it becomes really hard to dismiss this series as 80's glamour fluff.

Also, Jetta, the British saxophone player, was pretty spectacular. Somebody make me a movie from this show, and keep Miley Cyrus the hell away from it!

9. zoombie

I seen season three, it was interesting. I like the first two seasons better, but the Stingers were alright. Their rivalory with the Holograms was no where near as good as the Holograms and Misfits rivalory.

Though I don't know why they were showed up when the show was close to ending? They come in, and act as bad as the Misfits in season one, and very quickly they turn good. They slowly developped the Misfits, as you noticed as the show goes on, there scemes are less dangerous and homocidal. And finally they come to a truce in the last episode in front of the audiance. (though why they had a change of heart, was never explained) The Stingers come to a truce with the Holograms in between episodes, everything was so sudden and fast in their character development.

One big difference in the Stingers and the Misfits. It is clear, as bad as they may be to others, the Stingers cared for one another. You never saw any evidence that the Misfits cared for each other. At least the episodes, I have seen. There is one episode when Pizzazz and Roxy get posioned, and the remaining Misfits and the Holograms team up to help them. I never seen that episode. So the Stingers were like a third party group with the characteristics of both the Holograms and Misfits. I might have liked them better if they showed up sooner. I don't put them in the same boat as Scrappy Doo or the Great Gazoo, but I wasn't feeling them as much as you did Sabregrove.

One thing I wish they had was closue with the Eric Raymond character. I really wanted to see his fall.

#9 zoombie, May 18, 2009
  10. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

I thought the Stingers were pretty interesting, especially Riot, who I thought was a male version of Jem.

But, out of all of them, Minx, who was voiced by Katherine "Kath" Soucie, and whose singing voice was provided by the late Vicki Sue Robinson, was my favorite. She was always trying her damnedest to catch Rio and get him away from Jem/Jerrica. If I was in charge of that show with Christy Marx, Rio and Minx would be together for a while.

11. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

12. zoombie

Well Stormer cares for others, but I am not sure if she cares for the other Misfits. Anyway you realise when I say the Misfits tried to kill the Holograms was unintentional. The things they did was intentional, but their goal was to injury or get them to miss a concert. They never, and I think it is intentional on Christy Marx's part, planned something in which they thought "If this works, we will kill the Holograms".

There is even one episode in which a terroriest is going to blow up a building in which Jem And The Holograms were in and the Misfits knew what was going to happen, and they saved them.

I don't want to defend them, but I think another key reason, they do these dangerous stunts that could kill people, is Eric Raymond's motivation. The Misfits can win just on hard work if they tried. At least about 50% of the time, they are just as good as the Holograms, there is enough money and fans for all of them, but Eric gets them in such a paranoid mood, that they think they can't win without eliminating the Holograms. Doesn't excuse their behavior like you said, but it is something to understand. Though even Eric has shown that he might draw the line killing Jem and the Holograms.

My thoughts on the philosphy of the two, has always been a happy medeum. While I agree you should work hard and do your best to acheive your goals. Sometimes you have to be a little underhanded dealing with underhanded people to achieve your goals. You can't just be a goody goody all the time either like Jem And The Holograms. Fight fire for fire. You shouldn't do things that nearly get people killed like the Misfits don't get me wrong, but you shouldn't be naieve to close your eyes and think if you are good, things will work out. I think Kimber came the closest to getting that point, which is why she is one of my favorites. There was an episode in which Kimber and Stormer left their bands and teamed up. If you think about, those two would have the least trouble switching bands based on their personality.

Though for all the Miley haters, I have a crazy thought, that maybe it wouldn't be so bad if she was cast as Jem in a live action movie of Jem. Consider all of the things the Misfits have done to Jem And The Holograms, it might be fun for the Miley haters to see some of those things happen to her in the movie. As long as they leave before the ending of the movie, when things will turn around, and things work out for Jem And The Holograms.

#12 zoombie, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
  13. Goldstar Neo

For anyone who thinks that a series about a famous girl pop star wouldn't work in this day and age, I've got 2 words for them: one of them is 'Hanna' and the other one is 'Montana'. True, hair bands were prevalent in the 1980s, but rock bands and pop music is just as relevant now as it was 20 years ago. Hasbro could easily update the series for the 21st century if they wanted to. If G.I. Joe, Transformers, Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake can be updated, then so can Jem.

Ah, no. An idea like that just screams "fanfic". Jem could be relaunched without turning it into a next generation type of thing. All that would need to be done is for the music and the style of dress to be updated for the 21st century.

#13 Goldstar Neo, May 19, 2009
  14. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I'll agree that the original version would only be successful in the 80's.

But I'll also agree that a modernized version could easily be successful today. Look at how little girls are into the whole Hanna Montana thing.

15. zoombie

Aside from the secret identity, this is no Hannah Montana. I originally thought it could be like Hannah Montana, in the subject mater being teenage angist issues. But it is not, Jem and her band go on this wild adventures most of the time.

They could have done a comic book series, these stories would have been a nice read. But I understand why they didn't do that, it wouldn't have sold, since this is geared towards girls and comic books are geared towards boys, and back in the 80's heroine comics were not as popular as they are today. Another idea I thought of, is a computer game, in which you are Jem and you have to get to a concert where the other Holograms are waiting, while above you on an air ballon the Misfits are throwing musical instruments at you, and you have to dodge them.

Not only did they have Greg Weismon as a writer, but Toei Animation helped make this show. They had future greatness all around.

#15 zoombie, May 19, 2009
  16. Goldstar Neo

No one is comparing Jem to Hanna Montana, dude. You seemed to suggest that the reason why there thus far has never been a Jem revival was because Jem was merely a product of it's time and that a series about a girl pop star wouldn't fly in this day and age, and I sited the success of HM as proof that it most certainly could.

17. zoombie

I know that no one is comparing Jem to Hannah Montana, I just stated my own preconsemption on what I thought it was, before I saw it. And admiting my own ignorence, and learning the lesson not to judge a book by it's cover. And I thought it was teen angist plots back during its original run, years before Hannah Montana.

I never said they couldn't revive Jem because it was a product of its time. I was just speculating over why Hasbro hasn't revived it, and I was really just guessing.

18. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

I love Jem and I'd love to see it come back, I think Jem is the perfect 80's cartoon; mostly with the writing Jem is the perfect example of the 30 minute toy commercial mentality versus trying to make it into something special and from watching the epsiodes you can tell that some writers were spilt between where Jem should fit in the two molds of 80's cartoons.

Some episodes like "Father's Day" "Riot's Hope" "Out of the Past" and the series finale "A Father Should Be"(I love thatJem is one of the few cartoons of it's era to actually have an ending) were all trying to tell deeper stories while ones like "Aztec Entchantment" and "Glitter & Gold" are typical action adventure.; but over all Jem really tried to be something special and my hat is off to Christy Marx and company for all the effort they put into the series.

As to why it hasn't been brought back I remember a couple of years ago that there was an interview with Christ Marx in which she mentioned that there were "rights issues" that she couldn't go into but that was what is keeping Jem from making a comeback.

Also there is the real life band "the Misfits" and there is also a real life Welsh pop-rock singer-songwriter named is Jemma "Jem" Giffiths, whose songs can be heard on shows like 90210, Grey's Anatomy and Las Vegas as well as the Sex in the City movie. The fact that there are now real life musicians that are using those names may have something do with the way they keep holding off bring back Jem, but at the same time Hasbro keeps renewing the rights and releases t-shirts of both the Holograms and the Misfits.

19. zoombie

I think the real life Misfits was a band from the 60's or 70's, so they weren't named after the ficitional band, because they came first, at least that is what I think. Though I wonder how they feel having the same name of these characters?

One flaw with this cartoon, like a lot of the shows in the 80's, the animation is less than to be desired. It is a shame, because one of the things I liked, is the fact the Holograms was a multy racial band, and it is hard to tell because of the animation.

If they revise this, either in another animated series or a live action movie, I hope they have a fictional show similar to American Idol. And incorporate that. Imagine if someone like Simon Cowell gave his normal Simon like criticism to Pizzaz. That would be interesting, he better have some bodyguards nearby.

#19 zoombie, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2009
  20. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

I think I might have been misunderstood, I didn't mean that the real life Misfits got the name from the series version. The real life band called the Misfits got together in 1977 and broke up in 1983, and then reunited in 1995, The band still tours to this day although their line up has changed over the years.

What I was saying is that Hasbro might not be able to use the "Misfits" name any more or they might have to license the name from the real Misfits.