1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Jem and the Holograms" Series Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by zoombie, May 28, 2011.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Any Jem revamps weather cartoon, comic book, live action series, etc., I would hope you give the other characters besides Jem and Kimber, some of the spotlight.

Speaking of Kimber, just me or anyone get a Princess Luna vibe from her?

2. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

Melodramatic, Much

Not that a JEM comic couldn't get carried away with the sex and drugs aspect of Rock 'N Roll, I was thinking along the lines of an all ages comic. More in line with Greg Weisman's Gargoyles comics. In fact, Christy Marx is an experienced comic book writer. She could write the series and have guest writers who also wrote for the show. Or people who have experience in writing for the "target" audience- young girls, women, and adult fans.

As for the problem of music comics- well Nana and Beck were both popular mangas before they became popular anime. Though I agree trying to describe how a song sounds in writing is difficult.

There's a theory going around that the "Unit-E Jem" would be somewhat like X-Men's Dazzler. A singer whose mutant power is making a light show out of sound. With Synergy as her sexy android Janice Em (from Robotech 2/The Shadow Chronicles) sidekick- they would be a intergalatic crimefighting duo :shrug:. How the rest of the characters would fit in to this idea is anybody's guess.

3. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I just saw the five-part premiere on Shout! Factory's DVDs, and as I suspected (and this likely also applies to all the other episodes as well), the versions shown on The Hub are indeed time compressed*. I figure it has less to do with putting in more commercials, and more with how The Hub's broadcasting structure operates, but that's just me.

*For example, after the original Starlight House burns down, Jerrica suggests helping Jem and the Holograms "put on a concert". In The Hub version, it just cuts to the "put on a concert part", while the non-time compressed version has her saying "How would you like to help Jem and the Holograms put on a concert?".

4. BonnieB21:-)

Look At Me In A Different Role, Trying On A Brand New Part

Anybody know who the comic book artist Ross Campbell (Wet Moon, Shadoweyes) is? On his tumblr account he's reimagined the cast of JEM with a shiny, cyber-punk makeover. Christy Marx herself, pointed fans out to this article on Comics Alliance. Though I agree with her when she says the designs probably wouldn't work well in animation. Though lots of anime characters have over the top hair like this, western animation tends to go for more simplfied designs. Even in most girl oriented shows the characters just have butt length hair or pony tails- not hair styles and those styles never change. I hope he gets around to Video, Clash, Danse, and Eric Raymond :p.

Stay tuned for The Stingers and possibly Jerrica!

http://mooncalfe.tumblr.com/tagged/jem

Here's the Comics Alliance review.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/12/29/jem-fashion/

[​IMG]

Hasbro if you wanted someone to draw "Unit-E" JEM for a new comic series, Ross Campbell's auditioning for the job!!!!

#464 BonnieB21:-), Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
  5. Mandouga

I'm sure he's a good comic artist, but let's say in a totally hypothetical scenario, that he would be chosen to create a new TV show or movie; live action, animated or otherwise. After having seen it, this type of character design seems to imply the "bad attitude" characterization: something that would work better for The Misfits. Does this mean that Jem and the Holograms would be portrayed as a punk rock band, with The Misfits doing something more hardcore? Jem and the Holograms (and their "manager" Jerrica) are supposed to be friendly, helpful, supportive, and caring (otherwise Starlight House wouldn't have always been the best place to live as a Starlight Girl, assuming this part is kept). I know that "you can't judge a book by its cover", but still. Whatever the case, this design also seems to suggest a darker and edgier portrayal of the concept. While dark/edgy was implied in later episodes of the second (technically third) season of the original show, it was really only ever implied, even with (for instance) Aja jumping the gun thinking that Mary Philips (Stormer) was Craig's wife, and if anything, I think any new version needs to keep it that way (like I said before, there needs to be some idealism/optimism).

6. zoombie

Jem is one of the cartoons wouldn't mind, would love to see a anime version. It was animated by Toei to begin with, so the look won't be that different. I would love to see what great Japanese voice actors that would get. Pizzazz would be a character a lot of actresses could have fun with. I imagine Pizzazz as one of thsoe actors that would have a annoying laugh. Those that watch original anime know what I am talking, Ya ha ha ha"

7. Mandouga

Season 3 set announced; DVD release of series to finally be completed.

Well, okay, so technically it already was complete thanks to the complete series set they released before, but for anyone who prefers to get the individual sets, they will finally have the complete series; something Rhino wasn't able to do before.

8. BonnieB21:-)

Jem Meets Amethyst: Coincidence? I Think Not

On top of the awesome announcement that Teen Titans Go! is going to be a 30 minute cartoon. Now DC Comics has revealed that none other than Christy Marx is writing the revival of Amethyst Of Gemworld!!!!!

From their blog entry here: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/06/08/introducing-dc-comics-the-new-52-0-month

The comic is called "Sword Of Sorcery" – Writer: Christy Marx. Artist: Aaron Lopresti.

"Featuring the return of Amethyst, Amy Winston leads a strange life on the road with her mother and resents it. She's about to learn it's all been necessary when she discovers she's the lost princess of Gemworld—and she's being hunted by her murderous aunt."

With a back-up story written by Tony Bedard with art by Jesus Saiz, set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, the monstrous warrior Beowulf is charged with finding and defeating the evil Grendel.

Sword Of Sorcery is going to be an anthology series.

Here's part of Newsarama's interview with Dan Didio.

Nrama: Walk me through, with each of them, what appealed to you as you decided to refesh the line and decided on these four series in particular.

DiDio: Each one of them serves a very particular purpose for the New 52. First of all, we want to confirm our commitment to diversity and product. And we know that series that fit into the brand of the Edge and the Dark have a little harder fight, because they're not the more recognizable characters. But that doesn't mean we've walked away from that. Quite the opposite. What we're actually doing is embracing it.

We created a new anthology book in the same vein as All-Star Western, which is Sword of Sorcery. The lead character I think is going to excite a lot of people, which is Amethyst, which is the return of that character. We haven't seen her as a major player in the DC Universe for awhile, and now we're bringing her back into the fold. We're also going to have a back-up with Beowulf for that, which is another character that people might recognize from a long time ago at DC. But again, we're showing a commitment to the fantasy aspect of the DC Universe by doing this series.

[video=youtube;n3IcsLPHLno]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3IcsLPHLno[/video]

I might actually have to buy this ongoing series starting in September 2012. It looks like DC is actually doing something with Amethyst, who knows maybe that's when her DC Nation short airs.

What a co-inky-dink, Christy Marx writing about a blonde/pink haired antagonist with an alter ego. Living out every child's fantasy and wearing great clothes while doing it :D. And they both have names that have to do with precious Jems. Nope, this won't be a success at all.

Ironically enough, Amethyst has more in common with She-Ra than Jem!:)

Here's an inteview with Christy Marx herself about her new 52 #0 comic.

http://io9.com/5916819/this-septemb...ll-write-dc-comics-most-1980s-fantasy-heroine

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-new-52-four-series-didio-phantom-stranger.html

9. BonnieB21:-)

Roger Slifer Supervising Producer For Marvel/Sunbow Victim Of Hit & Run

Tragic News: Roger Slifer, one of the supervising producers for Marvel/Sunbow shows like GI Joe, JEM, and The Transformers was the victim of a hit and run accident and is currently in a medically induced coma. DC Comics fans will know him best as the creator of Lobo.

http://www.wizardworld.com/rogerslifer.html

The impact broke some ribs, Slifer's collar bone and his shoulder. Surgeons also had to remove a portion of his skull, Dennis said.

He and other friends have gone to the hospital every day to check on Slifer, and posted fliers in the intersection where he was struck with contact information to encourage witnesses to come forward.

"With a lot of prayer and support, we hope he comes through it OK," Carlton said. "It's not going to be an overnight sensation, it's going to take a lot of work to get him back the way he was."

http://www.smdp.com/Articles-local-news-c-2012-06-25-74277.113116-Cartoon-pr

Flint Dille offered an update on what's going on.

http://comics.gearlive.com/comix411...m=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+comix411+(Comix+411)

I hope he'll be alright and that the driver will be brought to justice.

10. zoombie

I hope Roger is okay.

11. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

Get well soon, Roger

Something always bothers me though with how I read (hit-and-run accident), is why do they call them "accidents". It's no accident (to me), if you flee from the scene after hitting someone.

12. BonnieB21:-)

Hey Look It's JEM! Hollywood JEM!

First a little good news, Integrity Toys in association with Hasbro is releasing an San Diego Comic Con exclusive Hollywood JEM doll!:D It's supposed to be the first in a new line of JEM dolls.

So if you're going to be in California in July and have an extra $125.00 US lying around doll yourself up and get one. Hollywood JEM is also going to be availabe at Hasbro Toy Shop.com after SDCC.

Integrity Toys' JEM website.

http://integritytoys.com/jemandtheholograms/

Second an update on Roger Slifer.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/06/roger_slifer_santa_monica_hit-and-run.php

This is what Flint Dille wrote about the situation on Facebook.

Flint Dille

Okay, here's what I know. We had originally thought of keeping this quiet, because Roger is a fairly private guy, but as word is out and time might be of the essence if we're going to find the hit-and-run driver, I'll post what I know.

Roger is in Ronald Reagan Hospital at UCLA (I have not been in to see him, but his friends Will and Barry have). He is in intensive care. The nurse on duty could only tell me that he was in critical condition with a brain injury. Will and Barry said that he was unresponsive, but was heavily medicated since they had to do some brain surgery. I think the truth is that nobody knows what will happen. Prayers would be a good thing.

On the criminal front, it would be a very good thing to find the driver, not only for reasons of justice, but also insurance. We have no idea what Roger Slifer's insurance situation is, but we suspect that it would be extremely helpful for medical bills.

The problem at the moment is that the Santa Monica Police do not seem to be making as much progress as they should. Some phone calls might be helpful. I'll put everything I know in the next entry.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.salicrup/posts/10151071490872774

And a TV news report about the story.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/losange...-and-run-driver-in-santa-monica-29806702.html

13. Mandouga

A $125 Jem doll, huh? In other words, this isn't an actual toy, is it? Once Jem (and the Holograms) really comes back (i.e., with an actual mainstream toyline), then I'll be excited. No offense.

As for Roger, that's terrible, and I hope gets he gets better soon.

Sent from my iPod Touch using Toon Zone.

14. BonnieB21:-)

Like JEM, These Dolls Have Integrity

[​IMG]

Thats 3 different dolls here: Synergy, Jerrica, and Jem. .

His name is Rio and he dances on the sand. Oh Rio, Rio dance across the Rio Grande.

I'm liking his hair a lot. Compare Hollywood Jem the doll to her cartoon outfit and Rio the doll to the cartoon to the original doll.

http://integritytoys.com/jemandtheholograms/index.php

There's wonderful news to report on Roger Slifer's condition.

Roger is awake and responsive but still not talking. He still has a LONG way to go towards recovery.

http://www.facebook.com/SLIFER.Needs.You?ref=stream

15. BonnieB21:-)

Sting, Sting, Stingers: The Stingers Hit Town!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Stingers have arrived! We never got Stingers dolls in the '80s so here's the next best thing. I'm liking how Riot's finally able to pull off a manly, masculine vibe even though he's surrounded by a halo of blond waves. Riot's hair is officially better than Prince Charming's from Shrek and Prince Daring Charming's from Ever After High:D.

Fun Fact: Riot's face was modeled after Bruce Willis, then a big star on Moonlighting. I have a hard time believing/picturing/imagining Bruce Willis with an angelic mop of golden ringlets.

I put off posting this forever but "We Are The Misfits, Our Songs Are Better...."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"It's Truly, Truly, Outrageous,
    Truly, Truly, Truly, Outrageous
    (A Fantasy)
    Being Anyone I Wanna Be
    And On Top Of It All
    You're Here With Me!"

So now that they've done all of the main cast, we don't know if they'll do Jetta, Raya, Danse, Video, Clash, Astral, Regine, Graphix, and Eric Raymond. But seeing as how they're a big hit....

16. Justy

Justy Now you see me...now you don't

Actually, these figures all look really good! I wish more figures released here looked this good.

Sent from my iPad using toonzone