1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Jem and the Holograms" Series Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by zoombie, May 28, 2011.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

No they make one more cameo appearance before than. But this is the last time they have a big role in an episode before the finale.

2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Incidentally, I forgot to mention one other thing. I wouldn't be surprised if this episode had been at least in part, a response to criticism that Jem was too perfect/a Mary Sue/what have you. After all, she appeared to be running away from her responsibilities all because she was overstressed, but then it's revealed that this wasn't the case. I also find it ironic that the episode begins with Kimber telling everyone that there won't be a Jem story because she's disappeared, and yet that's exactly what it was.

Also my digital cable is listing the final episode ("A Father Should Be") as "TV-PG". I know this is a mistake because The Hub has referred to all the other episodes as TV-Y7...

EDIT: Okay, this makes no sense whatsoever. I checked The Hub's website, and they're saying the same thing. I hope they don't plan on broadcasting the show's entire second run this way (assuming there is one); just saying

3. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

Jem and the Holograms comeback tour?

I've seen this mentioned on a couple of toy related websites that a frequent, but Hasbro is planning on making a major presence at the upcoming New York ComicCon in October, the thing that is catching a lot of peoples attention is that they are specificly mentioning Jem and the Holograms along with all of the current major properties. What does this mean for our favorite pink-hair singer and company who knows, but it looks like Hasbro has noticed all the buzz that the re-runs have been getting on the Hub and I wonder just how well the upcoming DVD sets are doing as pre-sells, could there be a buzz there that Shout! has noticed and let Hasbro know, could we be seeing Jem and company joining her older "brothers " and getting the comeback that she has been denied for so many years due to outside interference.

Here's a link to the original story:
    http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=278&itemid=17670

4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I noticed in the press release the show was mentioned too. They must have something planned, and I can't wait to see what it is.

5. zoombie

We have a love connection?

"The Old Houdini Magic"

Something real shocking, someone resists Riot's charm. Mrs. Fansworth resists Riot's charm, and that really must have been a blow to his ego, you mess with Riot's ego you are going to pay, that is the Stinger way.

We begin with the introduction of a Astrel a new character that was or was going to be I am not sure part of the Jem doll line. She is not the last, as we see in the next episode. And we have a repeat of an old old song "She's Got the Power", I thought "Music Is Magic" would have fit better, it is weak when you compare her to Synergy.

Anyway in retalation for having the nerve to resist Riot's charm, Rapture decides to con Mrs. Fansworth by praying at her superstitious nature and pretending to be the great Houdini a real life legendary magician.Astreal challenged her to a dull, and does it in a weird way. She takes off the glove and throws it to the ground, the proper way to challenge someone to a dull if you have plastic gloves, is to slap the other person with it. I wish she would have done it. I guess good guys aren't allowed to sully their hands with such deeds.

While the Stingers plot we get a new song by them called "Mind Games", this is an awesome song. This is their "Makin Mischief", this pretty much tells us what they are all about when they want to be bad.

I thought it was very low of them to knowingly attempt to rip off money from a children's charity. Even the Misfits wouldn't stoop to that level as demonstrated in "The World Hunger Shindig" episode, they have their limits. Shows you Riot is like Pizzazz in when he is really mad, he just doesn't care of anything outside of getting his way, which is what he was on the inside when the old lady resisted his charm and resisted his ego. And there is no Stormer in the group to attempt to give some moral condience to the group. If anyone is the moral condience is Riot.

We than see Minx and Rapture planning with Techrat. And this one of those moments that shows how awesome Minx is. Techrat did not mind her touching him, and for Techrat that is like confesing love. While Riot's charm is on the frits today, Minx has her own charm, and she is something if you can get Techrat to give you the time of day. If Minx was a Homunculi she would be Lust. No question about it, she deserves it.

We get to the dull, and an awesome dull song "Believe / Don't Believe", all of the dull songs are great, they play greatly off each of other. It reminds of "I'm Up / Your Down". It is up there, "Working Out / Doing Me In" will always be my favorite dull song, but still an excellent song.

It ends with Rapture being exposed as a fraud, and Mrs. Fansworth learning not to give into superstition.

I noticed in the short time the Stingers are one this show, the supporting players get their moment of spotlight episodes. Rapture in this episode, and Minx gets one later on. It took a long time for Roxy and Stormer to get any episodes when they get some of the spotlight. If you want to count "In Stiches" is a Roxy spotlight episode since she was the main Misfits antagonising the Holograms that was episode 12. Stormer didn't get any of the spotlight till episode 20 "Island Of Deception" when she got a lot of attention. What does that tell you? Riot might be a little less selfish and doesn't mind letting his subdoinates have the spotlight once and awhile.

6. A.Magik

A.Magik Active Member

I liked Astral. Did you notice how familiar she is with Jem? Perhaps Astral did some entertainments for the Starlight House when she was younger.

YES..."Mindgames" is awesome. It could be an Envy song.

This is also one of the few times Jem actually opposes the Stingers.

7. Mandouga

In one scene when The Stingers are talking with each other, Riot comments that "weak willed people are easy to fool" (or something to that effect; I might be paraphrasing). If anything, Mrs. Farnsworth's will is much stronger than theirs seemingly will ever be (if The Stingers' will was truly the stronger one, they wouldn't have tried to cheat her like they did). Eventually, she learns to not worry so much about what tomorrow may bring. I do agree that even The Misfits wouldn't intentionally try to steal money from someone, especially not if Stormer can help it. I did like Astra. I think she's a great magician. I also noticed that she looked like someone who would appear in the toyline. I guess she never got her chance.

The next episode talks about a photographer who must choose between Jem and the Holograms or The Stingers. Other than that, I can't immediately tell what this one is about.

Oh yeah, it's funny how "She's Got The Power" is used here. The song was originally about Synergy (speaking of which, I noticed there was no Jerrica in this episode), but it here, it seems to be about Astra. I guess this is another episode that shows how song lyrics can have any number of interpretations.

8. zoombie

I said the Misfits wouldn't sink to stealing from charity or children, but stealing in general they might not above that. They stole Jem and the Holograms master tape at one time. So it is more of a case of who they steal from, than the act of stealing.

9. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Just thought of something, do you think Riot's design might be inspired somewhat by David Coverdale of Whitesnake? They were still popular at the time, so its not out of the question. Another potential inspiration may have been Joey Tempest of Europe (though his hair is light brown):

[video=youtube;9jK-NcRmVcw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw[/video]

(i'd post a whitesnake vid for comparison as well, but the content of those videos kind of prevents them from showing up here if you know what i mean)

10. zoombie

You got to have heart

"Straight From The Heart"

Just like in the last episode, we meet a new character that was suppose to be in the doll line. Enter Regenne a character that has weird hair and reminds me of someone I just can't put my finger on it. She is a protese of Countess. Regenne has had a lot of success and hasn't experienced criticm yet. We get a repeat of "The Mood I'm In", it is a fine song, this video really was influced by Ah Aha "Take On Me" So when Jem and the Holograms critise her, she goes a little crazy. This is like or the opposite of when Rarety tried to design outfits for the Galley and everyone had to input their opinions.

But the Stingers decide they want Regenne for themselves, Riot this time has no interest in Jem and has to qualms trying to ruin her and her band. Well Romeo I am sure that will win her over. But I got to admit the Stingers they have style. And they are ahead of their time, they have CDs, the first time we have seen CDs on the show. And an old fashion vehicle with at the time state of the art technology, they spare no expense. I love the song and video of "All In The Style". The Stingers they maybe jerks, but dam it they back up what they say.

We see how a Stingers party looks like. It just a bunch of artsie snobs who wouln't know how to have a good time if it beat them. Of all the groups they are the least fun. Though Minx can be fun in all own way, but in this term of fun that I am referring, it has nothing to do with it.

Also after time traveling, going to a crazy renasance town that doesn't know century there in, looking for the legend of Shangra-La, we see something that pushes my suspense of disblief even further, a straight male fashion designer. Ha ha, just kidding.

We end with Jem and the Holograms welcoming Regenne back and admitting they are wrong. Which is rare that they are wrong, but when they are they acknowledge it. Except for calling people trash without getting to know them, never appologised for that didn't she. Especially one of them helped save your music company at least twice, and they all saved your lives once.

Anyway we get a new song "Straight From The Heart", I liked the song. It plays nicely of opposite of what the Stingers are all about, which is style, vanity, and greed. I think the Stingers and there representation of what they believe in, works better as antagonsit message to the Holograms and what they stand for, than what the Misfits stand for, which is just having attitude and self confidence, having a punkish attitude, I don't see anything evil in that, while the Stingers and their message of being arrogant snobs I can see why that is the wrong message.

If the Misfits = the regular Team Rocket trio, than the Stingers = Butch and Cassidy.

11. Mandouga

Nevertheless, she is portrayed as a one-off character stereotype (the overly sensitive, frustrated "artiste" who takes anything remotely resembling criticism personally, etc) whose only real purpose in this episode was to serve as a medium for teaching a moral lesson (much like Laura was in "Alone Again"; just saying), with both Jem and the Holograms and The Stingers (well, I don't know about the latter) essentially being side characters this time around; accessories for teaching said moral lesson. It doesn't help that she's also portrayed as having to learn this lesson herself the hard way when The Stingers dump her when she's of no more use to them, just like Jem and the Holograms said would happen. OTOH, for all she knew, they were just trying to make a rival group look bad (of course, we knew they weren't). When Jem and the Holograms initially turned down their designs, they were of course not trying to imply that they hated them. Regine reacting that way was just to (unnaturally) move the plot along (i.e., the plot ended up being forced, much like "Midsummer Night's Madness"). Now, I actually didn't blame them for turning them down. After all, any band has their own unique sense of style. What Regine should have done was work with Shana, as well as the Countess, and try to come up with other ideas for the fashions for Jem and the Holograms' concert. Instead, Regine stereotypically (even for the time) was afraid of not being recognized for work she did herself, and that caused her to misinterpret their constructive criticism. If she hadn't jumped to conclusions and overreacted the way she did, this likely never would have happened (regardless of whether or not Jem and the Holograms would have changed their minds). When an episode starts displaying these kinds of qualities, that presents a problem (which I just mentioned).

In short, this is another of the lesser episodes, this time because the primary focus was given to a one-off character created just to teach moral lesson, afterwhich she's never heard from, or even mentioned again (aa far as I'm aware). The show is supposed to be about Jem (and the Holograms), after all, even with the moral lessons (direct or implied). Even in episodes where Starlight Girls were the focus (e.g., Deirdre in "The Music Awards"; Ba Nee in "The Jem Jam"), Jem and the Holograms still played a significant part of the story. In this episode, they're just side characters this time. There's a difference.

BTW, I noticed that this episode was written by Buzz Dixon, who's best known for his work on G.I. Joe.

So, in the next episode Minx changes her attitude after what the synopsis calls a "near death experience". I only hope it doesn't repeat the mistake "Video Wars" made by subverting the implied character development at the end.

12. zoombie

People can change, can they?

"Change Of Heart"

Things I liked about this episode, things I hated manly the ending. Does start promesing enough, at a music instrument store, we find out Minx can build synthisizers, I thought that was very cool. I loved that they showed another side to Minx, that there is more to her than just being a seductive musician.

We than go to the beach, and a Jem beach party, all of the bands are there, even the Limp Lizzards. Only thing missing was sand bending, and a sand castle of the entire Earth Kingdom with Earth King and Bosco, but other than that a perfect beach party. And look the Misfits are back remember them? Pizzazz is the only Misfits with any lines, though Susan Blu does voice other characters in this episode Lindsay Pierce, the woman at the music store, and go into a repeat of "Outta Of My Way", which was the first Misfits song ever played, and this is the last Misfits song on the show, I wonder if that was indentionally. We also see Clash who I thought the Misfits have washed their hands of her, and the Limp Lizzards, poor Limp Lizzards can't catch a break.

Minx being rejected one too many times by Rio, just loses it and almost drawns. Rio saves the day because that god dam Riot put everything second to getting Jem. I thought it was nice that having a near death experience, Minx tries to change for the better. Which is more I can say for the Misfits, how many times has Jem and the Holograms saved their lives and they never stock into life being fletting. She tries to change for the better, much to the Stingers destain and we get a Stinger song called "Are You Feeling Alright", pretty muchs says being a Stingers means being a jerk. Though that point is quickly abanddant in the upcoming episodes. More on that later.

Minx tries to make ammends for her best bad deads, though I don't remember doing anything bad to Jerrica that she to make ammends for, like she did Rio, Jem and the Holograms. I guess being rude guests in "Stinger's Hit Town" counts, even though she never interact with Jerrica. And things back fire, and I have a problem with how they blame Minx. Though they quickly mentioned that she is trying to be nice. It is not Minx's fault, the Starlight girls can't contorl themselves. That's the Starlight Girls fault, and if not it is Jerrica and the the Holograms fault for not being better parents. And they do need a security system. You have Synergy you have to protect, and it is not like Eric has sent someone to break into their house, though that was the old Starlight House.

We get aa new song from Jem and the Holograms "It's Too Much", I really catchy song. I like the melodies on this one.

I hate the ending except for the very last scene because Riot and Rapture got the becareful what you wish for moment which they deserved. But Minx digreation, I think Rio's outburst was the last straw. And she learns Rio to even his friends with that temper can be a bit of an a-hole, like that time he got mad at Ashley on the train tour, or when yelled at Kimber for two timing these guys. And the thing is, the ending becomes pointless giving what happens in the remaining episodes. This is the last time we see the Stingers as antagonist anyway.

As for the subject of Minx turning a new leaf, and what happens to the Stingers. Well consider this.

13. Mandouga

In any case, with two episodes remaining, I can honestly say that this is the worst episode of the entire 65-episode series. Minx almost drowns and Rio saves her, but in trying to be helpful, she ends up becoming overbearing. The Misfits had no business being there, much less Pizzazz. That was only done to fill the time. Earlier, I had mentioned my hope that this episode wouldn't be a repeat of "Video Wars" where character development gets subverted at the end. While it didn't happen in this episode, that's just it. There wasn't any character development to subvert. With this in mind, what we saw wasn't character development, it was sarcasm, even for the time. Whether intentionally or not, this was nothing more than a comedy episode, and not just any comedy episode either. It's the kind that plays on the whole "you saved my life, and I want to repay you" idea. In fact, you could say that the title "A Change of Heart" is the joke, and the ending ("'Help', is not in my vocabulary.") is the punchline. If this had been any other show (whether made during the time or not), it wouldn't have been so bad, but this isn't "any other show". I mentioned this before, but this is a show where character development is an important part, and in this episode all we really got, again, was sarcasm. All this episode shows us is that Minx--her knowledge with electronics notwithstanding--is an overemotional drama queen who neither gets it, nor wants it. This was made clear to me when she thought that by saving her, Rio was in love with her. He only did it because it was the right thing to do. He would have done the same thing for Jem (and Jerrica), the Holograms, the Starlight Girls, even The Misfits, and yes, even Eric Raymond himself (or at least, that's what's implied). In any case, this is definitely the low point of the entire series. I want to say that this is when the show jumped the shark, but that already happened in "Britrock" when Aja jumped to conclusions thinking that "Mary Philips" (AKA: Stormer) was Craig Philips' wife.

I had heard about an old soap opera called "Ryan's Hope". Was the title of the next episode "Riot's Hope" an intentional pun?

14. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

Sounds like the title was intended to be a pun.

Noticed Harriet Horn and Lena Lerner at the album party. Did I miss anyone else?

Also, was anyone watching this morning's Transformers G1 episode, "B.O.T?" The brainy girl sounded like Jem, but I didn't see the actress's name in the closing credits.
    And was that episode made before or after Jem premiered?

15. Justy

Justy Now you see me...now you don't

How eerie is it that in "Riot's Hope" Riot's first band (which included Minx) was called Nirvana--4 years or so before the release of Nevermind and "Smells Like Teen Spirit"? Wow....

16. zoombie

I wonder what happened to Nirvana

"Riot's Hope"

This really plays for drama. Like I have mentioned many times before, children's relationship with their fathers plays a big part in his series, and we are not done yet with fathers, still one more episode to go. Riot's relationship with his father and with the mother in the middle, he reminds me of Prince's relationship with his parents in Purple Rain.

Who would have thought that one day Jem and the Holograms would invited into that building that is currently Stinger's Sounds, the building has been known to them as the enemy capital, that or the Gabor mansion as the capital of the enemy.

The Stingers indite them to their album release party, and full of celebirties. As Shana said it was to gloat and boast. I wonder where were the Misfits. Did they decide not to come realising it was all about the Stingers gloating. I am sure if they were invited Pizzazz would come, maybe the other Misfits intercepted the invitation and hide it from Pizzazz and tried to hide the whole excistance of the party. I am sure the Stingers invited them, if they just want to gloat to everyone, the more rock bands the better. And if not, since when did not getting inviting stop the Misfits from showing up anyway.

This is the only episode besides Jem Jam part 1 to have no Jem and the Holograms songs at all, this is all Stingers. I will rate the songs, we get a repeat of "Take It Or Leave It" which was originally about what jerks the Stingers were and how at least they are upfrount about it. This one is more about acception of one's life choice. Than we have "It's A Hard Hard Life", which shows what hardships the Stingers had to go through. And shows us the Stingers actully had to work hard despite the way they usually prestent themselves with an attiude of entitlement. Than we have "Let Me Be", it shows the Stingers can do ballets too. It is a recap of Riot's life and relationship with his father.

After we find out Riot's mom is in the hospital, we get a flashback to his childhood, I wonder if he is adapted. He has blond hair and this parents don't. Maybe he got his blond looks from somewhere else. If he is adapted, maybe that could be a reason his dad is so hard on him, maybe unable to have children of his own which can be a blow one's manhood, he takes it on poor Riot. Later we see how Riot meet Minx and joined a band called Nirvana, even though it differs from what we told before how Riot and Minx meet. The band names would become famous in the 90's. It is not the only famous band name on the show of course. There was a real life band called the Misfits, but this time it does predate the real life band at least before they released their first album which was in 1989.

Later after being kicked out of the group, Riot decides to form his own band taking Minx with him, and later joined by Rapture. Than after seeing their hard times, we see what I assume happned just before "The Stinger's Hit Town".

We do see that despite everything he has done, trap her on a island, try to rip off money from children, etc., Jem has forgiving Riot and cares for him enough to want to meddle into this. She tried to get Riot and his dad to talk, I thought it was hillarous when she lost his patient with both of them, and showed how similar those two are.

Than Riot's dad goes to a Stinger's concert, and had a hillarous part when he told that guy to get a job. Anyway things work out in the end. And I assume because Riot worked out his difference with his father, and his family is better, he decided to turn good. And in turn because they do whatever he says, Minx and Rapture decided to turn a new leaf as well, and the Stingers as of now are offically good. Maybe not the greatest reasons for a face turn, but at least we got a reason, unlike some other people which I won't mention till the next episode.

I found it a melo dramatic episode, but happy to get to know the Stingers history. But it was a 180 on how they were these antagonist in the last 5 episodes, and all of a sudden Riot is the protagonist of this episode.

It does disappoint me that the Stingers get their origion episode when they just debuted not too long ago, and we never get a Misfits origin episode. I always wanted know how the band formed, and also Roxy and Stormer's pre Misfit life, though to be fair we don't see much of Minx and Rapture pre Stinger days. Also Jem went out of her way to fix Riot's relationship with his dad, and we never got any resolution to Pizzazz and Harvey strain relationship. If what happened here is any indication, the Misfits would not cause problems if Pizzazz and Harvey repaired their relationship.

Yeah that was Samantha Newark. And one of the boys was Rio. To answering your question, since the Hub only shows the first two season, this does predate Jem for the most part. The first five episodes of Jem was done during the second season of the Transformers. The rest of the series was made during the time skip.

17. Vaporleaf

Vaporleaf Active Member

Riot's Hope- this was a weirdly-placed episode, right after showing the Stingers in the last episodes being arrogant jerks who use people for fun. Now here comes this very sympathetic story about their leader. It's a family drama that I don't doubt could happen in a famous rock star's life, and it was done fairly well, but... it just seems too much that it was centered on Riot. It didn't help explain why he is the way he is. Why would he become this horrible snob who looks down on 'normal' people after all he did to get noticed with his music?

It was also a bit strange to see Jem (and the rest of the group, including Aja) actually go to his party and Jem still possibly have feelings for him. Though I admit this makes her seem a bit less of the 'perfect heroine' she often is portrayed as.

Anyway, it's not a bad episode, but unless this background of Riot pays off in another episode, I don't get the point of it.

18. Mandouga

Whether Riot was adopted or not isn't the point. The point is that he had one of those fathers who is so disapproving of his son's dreams that he actually tries to crush them. He actually wanted his son to join the army, while his mother was the only one to support him. To me, he comes off as one of those fathers who criticizes what he doesn't understand (a sentiment that, sadly, still exists today among parents...). The worst part is, he actually blamed his own son for her being in the hospital ("Your mother's in the hospital, and it's all YOUR fault!!"). If anything both of them were at fault, but it was especially the father's because as the episode shows us, he was actually the one who started it in the first place. Jem losing her patience with both of them wasn't that funny. It was actually quite serious. It was just like she said: they were both killing their wife/mother with their constant arguing. She was determined to get them to set aside their differences. Really, because of said constant arguing, Mrs. Llewellyn (sp?) had lost the will to live. You just get the sense of "please...don't...fight..." coming from her. In any case, it kind of didn't help that she actually didn't understand why kept arguing so much. The story itself didn't really have what you might call a happy ending. While Riot and his father did set aside their differences, and while Mrs. Llewellyn didn't die (than goodness), now they have to make up for all the time they lost. For these reasons, among others, I think this was deliberately written as being just as much a message for our parents as it is for us; specifically, it's the whole "family togetherness" message in general (that, plus don't criticize what you don't understand, especially where music is concerned). Also, I'm thinking that the entirety of his backstory is the reason in and of itself why Riot acts the way he does, or rather, he likely acts that way as a way of covering up who he really is, and what he had gone through. Nonetheless, while we do understand Riot a little better (as does Jem), that still doesn't excuse the fact that he had been (as "Weird Al" Yankovic put it) a pushy, self-centered, egocentric jerk to everyone he had meant (indeed, we've all seen how he thinks he's Heaven's gift to girls...).

One episode left, and I'll bet Riot's father is going to play an important part. They're probably going to show Vietnam War related flashbacks, however (and I'm just saying), I really hope that that "TV-PG" is a mistake. Since this is the final episode, there's no sense/point in backing out now, so I'll definitely watch either way.

BTW, I keep forgetting to mention this, but has anyone noticed that the show has been inconsistant on Raya's skin color? She's supposed to be dark skinned, but some episodes show her as being light skinned.

19. Mandouga

(I apologize for the double post, but no one else has posted yet, and I didn't want my previous one to be any longer than it is.)

"If I can't have my father, I don't want to live anymore!"

I never expected this to happen. I don't really like what it implies if Ba Nee had never seen him again. However, I don't think that was the reason for the "TV-PG" that The Hub did indeed give this episode.

The way I see it, it's one of two things: it was either the Vietnam War flashbacks, or the picture Ba Nee drew of a man smoking a pipe (her image of what her father might look like). Either way, I really think The Hub was exaggerating (as they are with the original Transformers and G.I. Joe shows, but that's another issue entirely). I honestly don't think it counts as a "tobacco reference", but anyway.

As for the episode itself, doesn't it seem really convenient that Riot's father just happened to be in the military (established in the previous episode), thus giving Jem the leverage she needed to start looking for Ba Nee's father? I mean, there was no setup whatsoever, resulting in this whole thing coming from seemingly out of the blue. However, that wasn't the real problem. The real problem was when the gambler from Las Vegas was taken to Starlight Mansion, and despite her own suspicions, decided/assumed that he was Ba Nee's real father. I know she makes mistakes, this one was forced on her by the script. I use italics because this is a very important point. It was only done just to move the story along (and admittedly, so Ba Nee's actual father could rescue her later). BTW, that "old zoo". It wasn't the same one they visited in "The Jem Jam", was it? That one place Ba Nee was at looked a lot like the bear pit she "accidentally" fell into.

In any case, Ba Nee and her father are reunited, and Jem and the Holograms and The Misfits come to a truce, which makes wonder. Because this is the final episode, you never know whether or not it was a temporary truce. OTOH, because this is the final episode, we're meant to assume it is.

Now, I need to be honest with you. I didn't want to say this until the the final episode aired (which it now has), but remember when I said that Britrock was when the show jumped the shark. I did mean what I said before, but that it was only part of it. You see, I feel that the entirety of the second (technically third) season (despite what Wikipedia says, everything from "The Talent Search" onwards is one season) in general was when it jumped the shark, although it wasn't for the reasons I once thought. I felt that it jumped the shark because of all the creative shortcuts the writers took (IMHO). OTOH, I don't entirely discredit it, though. I feel that the season does count in broad strokes. I mean, we did learn about her mother, and how Synergy came to be, and everything. However, I feel that the first (technically the first two) season(s) was/were the better written one(s).

Speaking of Jerrica's mother. I just noticed something. Until the episode in question, she was never mentioned before. At all. For all we knew, we just never saw her, or maybe when Jerrica was born, she didn't make it. So when we see her introduced, only to be killed off later (flashback or not), that makes it more tragic then it should be (i.e., because she only appears in only one episode). Afterwards, her mom is never mentioned again. For all we know, that episode never happened. If some of us had never seen the episode for some reason, we never would have known that Jerrica even had a mother (or even knew her). With this in mind, the episode we saw that talks about her (and Synergy) seems random and spur-of-the-moment. Still, it does work in the long run, and while it's sad that Jerrica did lose her mother, we at least see that Jerrica is just as kind and loving as she was...no, "is". That's because the people we love are always with us no matter what happens, but I don't want to get off subject here.

I'm looking forward to getting Shout! Factory's DVDs, which I assume will be based at least on the version seen on The Hub. Speaking of which, while I do have my disagreements about the aforementioned Raya/Jetta-era episodes, I'll still get the complete series, though probably not the complete series set, which means I'm planning on getting the individual sets.

20. zoombie

The end of the road

"A Father Should Be"

We have come a long way since the series debuted on May 31st. I will post my overal thoughs on the series later. For now just let me review this episode.

Ba Nee gone all emo again, she really irrated me with her woe is me attitude, I wouldn't blame them if they wanted to find her father just to shut her up. But seriously, she was very melo dramatic, she was sucidal with talk I don't want to live, where did that come from? But that is Jem trademark people over act and go over the top with emotional outburst. Jerrica and company try to tell Ba Nee she has a family and goes into a song called "Family" and Ba Nee still upset.

You wanted to know there is a point to Riot's dad being in the military, well here it is. Very convient, and convienet that all it took was for Riot to reconcile with his dad for him to go from selifh self centered jerk to nice helpful guy. We get a repeat of "A Father Should Be", with a dad smoking pipe, I don't know Ba Nee you want your dad to die younger?

We meet three possible candidates, one guy in a wheel chair who I don't see the point in that character other than to give Raya and Rio something to do. A slesh ball who doesn't have a redemable bone in his body, and a painter with amnesha. I don't see why the doctor said he shouldn't tell them any information about Marten when he already said he had anmesha, too late you opened pandora's box.

We know they had to make Andy a real sleashball to be the final villain of the series, and to be someone that can make the Misfits, the Stingers, even Eric look like saints in comparisson. Just me or does Andy look like Clash's dad? Just like I thought Jerrica second alto ego Jamie looked Xantos assistant.

We have some awesome war flashbacks, I have to admit that is kind of cool. And they save Ba Nee from the creep, Ba Nee finally gets her reunion with her dad, and all is right with the world as Jem would say.

Except for one thing, Rio never found Jem and Jerrica were the same person, what a disappointment.

But other than that, we go to the famous last scene, I thought it was surrel seeing the Stingers just casually being in the Starlight mansion and being peaceful after what they did not long ago in "Stinger's Hit Town", more so Minx and Rapture. But like I said before, they do whatever Riot says, if he says we are turning good, they will turn good no questions asked. At least it is not hard to see where that apethiny moment happened which was Jem helping Riot and his dad reconcile, which more I can say for...

The Misfits, seriously when and why did they decide to turn good. Was it when they realised was when Pizzazz said "for nothing" in "The Day The Music Died", though that didn't stop her for getting into a fight with Jem at the beach in "Change Of Heart", maybe a domino thing. Riot turns good and takes stocks of what a jerk he has been, actully treats Pizzazz like a person and we see them collaborating earlier in the episode and Pizzazz didn't even say anything when Jem intrupted their seccission, and just like the Stingers, if Pizzazz says we are turning good, they follow. Maybe not as blindly as Minx and Rapture, but follow non the less. Besides Roxy has her reasons to be indebted to Ba Nee, and Stormer is nice to begin with, as for Jetta she is not a founding Misfits so who cares, she better follow suit.

Than we get our last song which is the entire cast saying goodbye. "This Is Farewell" is a nice message to the audiance. I am very happy Christy got her chance to write a series finale, back than they might have just said the series is over after production of all 65 episodes were completed. So we got some kind of closure, though still Rio doesn't find out Jerrica's secret, and we don't get a chance to find out why the Misfits suddenly turn good.

As for weather the Holograms and Misfits truce was temporary or not, it doesn't matter. After seeing the Misfits act like that and just abandden their phesade of being bad girls, I can't take and the Holograms can't take them as a serious threat anymore. After seeing things like Ba Nee kiss Pizzazz, they can't go back to the old bad Misfits like they were in the beginning of the series. They have no more villain creed.