1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Jem and the Holograms" Series Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by zoombie, May 28, 2011.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Since no one started a talkback thread I guess I will.

The marathon is airing now, I am happy the Hub is airing it, but disappointment in the following. The video quality is not at all like the Rhino DVD, and have decected some edits, like the Space Cadets and the other bands I forget it's name apperance, and "Only The Beginning" video is shorten.

Dam it Hub, do you need that much commercial time?

I guess Jem and the Holograms never heard of the police, when people's action nearly getted you killed, you call the police and have them arrested.

#1 zoombie, May 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011
  2. A.Magik

A.Magik Active Member

I think it was more to fit that rather lengthy spoilerish 'In our next episode...' promo. Episode 2 went on without it with much of the content complete (unless I'm mistaken).

Ugh, I did not like Jerrica's hairstyle in the five-parter (not to mention that ugly blue-and-pink stripped dress in the opener). Fortunately she wore it down for the rest of the series.

Does anybody notice Aja lost her asian accent after the five-parter?

3. zoombie

Apprently episode two and three are the remastered prints. Only episode one had inferior video quality.

#3 zoombie, May 28, 2011
  4. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

Perhaps they aired the wrong version of the first episode. Maybe when on Tuesday they will air the remastered print of episode one.

5. zoombie

Studio B has to have the most cheepest equipment ever. That is all it took to destory the set, a paper airplane could destroy that equipment.

Onto episode four, I always thought the "bright side" of the Misfits opening for the Holograms according to Shana is one of stupidest statements ever. It would drive the Misfits bizzark, yeah because nothing bad happens when they are pissed off, it is not like they have nearly killed anyone. Why not let a bear or a lion out of the zoo while we are at it.

I though that concert promoter should have gotten some come upings, he intentionally put Jem and the Holograms in a dangerious situation. And I thought there was protential in Malone to be a formable villain. With what he knows, he could have been the biggest threat to Jem and the Holograms.

I wonder if Eric was bluffing with what he implied he was going to do if Jem and the Holograms didn't do what he asked.

#5 zoombie, May 28, 2011
  6. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

Nice right, Rio.

7. zoombie

It is crual irony, as their high score in the Battle of the Bands shows, in a fair contest the Misfits could beat the Holograms, maybe not all the time, but about half the time give or take, they are talented enough to compete with the Holograms. I wonder if that is a indentionally message or lession that cheaters in the end only cheat themselves.

The crew guy said "this movie is in trouble", I bet someone said the samething on the set of The Last Airbender. I don't think even Eric is capable of messing up a movie as badly as M. Night.

Willing to lose millions just to get his daughter off his back, there is father of the year material right there.

#7 zoombie, May 28, 2011
  8. MetroSparkster

MetroSparkster ...has nothing to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r09VjudR6Ms

That said, it was pretty interesting.
    This is literally the first time I saw this and I wonder who is the bigger pr-- I mean, jerk. Eric or the Misfits.

The songs are fine, too, but they sound somewhat repetitive sometimes.

#8 MetroSparkster, May 28, 2011
  9. zoombie

That is an age old question, Eric and his calculating schemes or the Misftis spontanous schemes, there are times in this series I feel bad for Eric and all the hell the Misfits put him through. As you can see, even Eric can't control them. But other episodes, Eric does things that are even too evil for the Misfits. It depends on each giving day. In the end, I think Eric is more devious and sinister, while the Misfits are more crazy and dangeriously unpredectable.

Personally I think Harvey Gabor has them both beat. He is not a bad guy, but in a way he is as much to blame for all the trouble the Misfits cause as Eric and the Misfits themselfs. And when you see Middle Of No Where episode, and what he does at the end I just want to hit him for being a complete duce. It made me so mad.

Comment about that Family Guy clip, I became a fan of Jem because of that clip, I never saw the show and barely heard of it till I saw that clip a few years ago, and became curious of it, curious enough to do research on the show, watch it online, than buy the DVDs, all started with this one clip.

#9 zoombie, May 28, 2011
  10. A.Magik

A.Magik Active Member

This brings up a question,

Since Hub doesn't show the Serpentor season of G.I.Joe and the Next Generation season of Transformers, will the 3rd season of Jem (the Stingers) also get no broadcast?

11. zoombie

The Stingers are not mentioned in the cast list on the website, but they are mentioned in the series description on the Hub website. And they are an option in a Hub poll of which band you would be in.

12. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Airing the "wrong version" of any episode implies multiple copies, and I imagine they had to take what they could get. With this in mind, I think the episodes may have come from multiple sources. Moreover, all of the episodes said "Sunbow Productions International" instead of "Claster Television". However, I'm not so sure these episodes are the international versions; that may just be the closing credits alone.

Also, during the marathon there were a couple of instances where it looked like there were cuts, but I can't tell for sure. Also, I did notice that that next episode preview went on for a while.

The biggest jerk is definitely Eric. The Misfits have their own faults: Phyll.., er "Pizzazz" is spoiled, Roxy just has a bad attitude, and Stormer is...unsure of where she stands, more or less (to say anything else would be Wild Mass Guessing).

Incidentally, when they mention Ba Nee's eye problem, it's important to note that (as revealed later) it wasn 't because she was sitting too close to the TV, rather she did that because of her condition.

13. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

Only The Beginning

There were a lot of strange choices made in this JEM marathon. :sweat:

JEM was originally a 7 minute segment as part of the weekly Hasbro merchandising ploy "Super Sunday" where I lived ("Super Satuday" for others). It was the first show, with "Bigfoot and The Muscle Machines" and "Robotix". Hasbro wanted to see which series of the 3 would be most popular before green lighting a full season order. Thats why, JEM is full of action and adventure, as well as fashion and fame, because it was a girl's show that had to keep the attention of the boys. Of course JEM turned out to be the biggest hit (right along with GI Joe, My Little Pony, and Transformers).

The very first episode shown today is very close to the original "Super Sunday" version. When JEM moved to a half hour format, some scenes and music videos were extended cause without them, the first 5 episodes are all 3 minutes short. Thats why there was that weird 3 minute spoiling preview at the end of the show. I don't know why it's that way, considering the 30 minute version is available on DVD. All the other episodes contained their extended scenes.

Something else was cut from "Starbright: Falling Star" Part 1. In the scene where Nick Mann kisses Jem in front of the press The Holograms are supposed to make comments about it.

Aja says, "Shy one, isn't he?" about Nick.

I can't remember what Shana says.

But Kimber says, "Jem shouldn't lead him on," and storms off.

It picks up again with Eric trying to tempt Kimber.

Why the cut, Hubworld?

All in all, I'm thrilled to see JEM back on TV, ready to entertain new and original fans alike.

So, out of all the songs today, what was your favorite?

"Only The Beginning" is a great introduction for Jem and The Holograms to the crowd and the at home audience.

"Outta My Way" sums up The Misfits totally.

"Who Is He Kissing?, Jealousy, and Universal Appeal" are perhaps the strongest trio of songs in ANY episode.

Though, there are only a few songs in JEM that could be considered weak (and even then they're still catchy!)

I recently had an epihany about "Music Is Magic", think about the lyrics and everything it says about the Power of Music is TRUE. :anime:

14. zoombie

For all the weirdness, episode 1 and 6 are not the version on the Rhino DVDs, while episode 2-5 appear to be the remastered version on the DVD. But this inconsidance is not new for the HUB. Happy Days season 2 episodes that air on the Hub have the same consisdence problems, some are the DVD versions which change the theme music from "Rock Around The Clock" to "Happy Days" like on the season two DVD and the songs in the episodes are changed to generic music, while others are the broadcast versions with the original music intact.

But I give HUB a break because it is new. But in any case, I don't expect and hope the Shout rerelease is all the remastered version like on Rhino with all the episodes unedited.

Times dictates what is good and what is bad, as evident in the "Makin Mischief", the Misfits in that video of running the party of the elite and causing trouble, all of the stuff is no different than things Bugs Bunny did in the 40's , and the was the hero in those cartoons. while the Misfits are villanfied for doing the samething.

One more thing, I think Pizzaz might be Dan's soulmate. They are similar, both very short tempered, hold a grudge, easy to piss off, paranoid and hate everything.

#14 zoombie, May 28, 2011
  15. RSNaco

RSNaco Izzy's Second Biggest Fan

I had never seen this show in the least until today, but decided to see it for the '80s nostalgia factor, which this show has in droves. It's certainly entertaining, in a weird cheesy way, with all its perpetual cliffhangers, music moments and odd character interactions and relationships, like the Jerrica/Jem/Rio love triangle. A show like this likely couldn't be made today, what with the state of the music industry, so that's another part that makes this a period piece, but still an interesting one. The inclusion of original break bumpers before the real Hub bumpers is also a nice little touch. One other thing to note is that once Jem goes into rotation in the lineup, it's always after My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, which looks to be a strong lead-in.

The only thing I know for sure from watching what i did of the marathon: The Misfits should never go anywhere near heavy machinery, especially if Pizazz is pissed off. They will always lose control of it.

#15 RSNaco, May 28, 2011
  16. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

We Are The Misfits Are Songs Are Better!

The thing about "Makin' Mishcief" is that you can take it out of context of the episode and it still works as a throwback screwball comedy from the '30s-'40s like The Little Rascals and Abbott & Costello, pie fights and all.

As for why The Hub doesn't show the second seasons of their Marvel/Sunbow shows (everything after "Arise, Serpentor, Arise" for GI Joe, the post movie episodes of Transformers, and of course will be The Stingers episodes of JEM), I'm not surprised. The Hub is a young channel afterall. It makes sense to hold these episodes back for a year or 2 as fresh programming.

I think MLP:FIM is a great lead in for JEM. I would've paired JEM with British import Freefonix. http://www.youtube.com/freefonix

Also, JEM will be coupled with GI Joe and Transformers in the mornings (just like in the '80s).

17. zoombie

Yeah and I think most of those weak songs are in the second half of the series. Especially the Jem and the Holograms. Not so much the Misfits they just wrote less new songs for them, there was more of a mandate for more new Jem and the Holograms and you can tell sometimes they phoned it in. And even those bad ones aren't that bad, just not as great as the others.

18. FightingDreamer

FightingDreamer Mutant on the Rise

...I don't get it. I tried watching the first episode, and barely got through that 30 minutes. The character designs and costumes are embarrassingly dated, the animation is utterly dreadful, the voice acting is weak (and some of these folks are pretty talented), and the songs hurt my ears.

Yeah, I think I'm going to just skip this. Have fun with nostalgia, guys.

19. zoombie

I wonder if Stormer is another character like Lexington. I am dead serious, at least in the cartoon world that Christy Marx developped. I wonder if Christy would ever out her if that was the case, though I doubt Hasbro would ever allow that. Unlike Greg Weisman, those were his characters, he had more power, these characters were based on toys. Maybe Roxy is not the only Misfit with a deep secret.

But I am not joking, I am serious, and the same question to some of the Starlight girls, but that is another story, and I am not as sure because they don't appear enough to know.

20. A.Magik

A.Magik Active Member

Yep, it's the same edited first episode again.

Y'know, even though it improved by the time of the Starbright trilogy, the animation of the five-parter is better than some of the third season episodes like Video Wars and Journey to Shangri-La (though it did have some creative moments like "Let the Music Play").