1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Jem and the Holograms (2015 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Mar 25, 2015.

?

Jem and the Holograms - Discuss and Rate!

1. ***** (truly outrageous!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2 (truly hideous!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Truly outrageous - 'nuff said!

JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS #1

[​IMG]

Story by: Kelly Thompson
    Art by: Sophie Campbell

Showtime, Synergy! Meet Jerrica Benton - a girl with a secret. She and her sister Kimber team with two friends to become Jem and the Holograms! But what does it mean to be Jem today? Fashion, art, action, and style collide in the most outrageous comic of 2015!

Comments?

2. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well I ordered the box set, and that doesn't come out till next week, so I have to wait an extra week and avoid spoilers, but it is worth it.

3. zoombie

I read issue 1 it was good, just seemed very short. 19 pages and that was it. I get that just wanted the Holorgams in this issue, and they couldn't streach anymore without introducing other characters they don't want to introduce till future issues.

I love the whole character description at the end, feels like something out of a manga, and that is not a big thing. Though the length of this issue was that of a manga chapter, a weekly manga chapter.

4. zoombie

Issue 2

Finally got my hands on the issue, I held out for the box set and could only get it from a guy in Canada, so had to wait a long time, but from now on I should get the issues on the timely fashion.

I loved it, the whole tweeds during the Lindsey Pierce show was funny, it is like they do on MTV now a days, though for me it reminds me of Durarara! with those chat rooms, they were all in characters, they got Pizzazz spot on. And what is Lindsey problem? What did the Misfits ever do to her, it is not like they set her studio on fire, ha ha ha.

That is one of the pet peeves of the cartoon, so many characters are s rude to them before they even give them a chance like Jerrica or the Countess. Wait for the Misfits to cause mischief and than you can be rude to them. Though I heard the comic writers interview in 3 Chicks podcast and they say that is a pet peeve of them to, maybe not those exact words but something along the lines of how they understand why the Misfits would be pissed because everything always works out for Jem and the Holograms.

Looks like to me they are combining elements of story lines in the cartoon, mainly a combo of the 5 part pilot and the "The Music Awards" with some other stuff mixed in, heck looks like Ashley is going to rebel and side with the Misfits like she did in the pilot but with Dedra's motivation for running away in "The Music Awards".

Also we getting some of "Bands Breaks Up" with Kimber and Stormer, with the Misfits not being happy about them hanging out, who knows if Kimber's band mates will feel the same way.

And I love Kimber in this issue, her celebration dance great, and she actually has a Misfit album, another pet peeve on the old cartoon, the Holograms never ever gave the Misfits there due as a band. They gave the Stingers there due as they are a-holes but they are talented, even the Misfits has giving Jem and the Holograms there due one time, in one episode Stormer said Jem was talented and none of the other Misfits objected to that statement, so yeah the Misfits never got the they are crazy psycho paths but talented from Jem and the Holograms, who only made fun of their music. To be fair the Misfits did the same thing with the Holograms, but like I said they had that one moment.

As for the Jerrica and Rio relationship, we will see where this goes before I judge, can't be worse than the old cartoon.

I am really liking what I am ready so far, only wish they were longer. They are too short, they have a length of a weekly manga chapter, not even a monthly manga chapter, the MLP comics that are read seem longer, maybe I am just enjoy them so much they seem shorter.

And last but not least, Roxy most likely to get arrested, so true. LOL

This could be the comic that will occupy while I have to endure the long wait for the next Avatar: The Last Airbender comic Smoke and Shadows, dam you Dark Horse.

5. zoombie

Issue 3

First of all is Pizazz ever in a good mood? This whole issue she was just angry, but that is when she at her best or worst, which every way you want to look at it. And LOL Kimber who slipping out of there. The Kimber in the cartoon would have stood her ground and got in a fist fight, maybe not that, but stood her ground at least and tell Pizazz off.

It seems the Misfts are more self contentious of their image, they are aware of how bad they looked in that TV report, the Misfits from the cartoon wouldn't have cared, to them it would be whatever. Though I love how they sell each other when they are in the cross hairs of Pizazz's wrath.

Just me or is Rio more likable than he has before. He such a nice guy, though I sense some sneakiness from him, he wants to find out Jem's identity, look out Jerrica.

We see Clash is introduced, and no back story here of how she got mixed up with the Misfits, she just there, perhaps later. And she hasn't really changed, she is still kind of crazy of just doing anything for the Misfits, and Pizazz and particular. And since we already have two lesbians and a bi, got to wonder if Clash has some unrequited love here. BTW, I would love it if one of these issues, one that that involves a costume party or halloween, I want to see her dressed up like Blossom, I don't know what the rights issues are with IDW, but they had characters dressed up like the Powerpuff Girls in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Friends Forever 16, so they should have no problem with that.

I love the ending how they show all the characters doing important stuff except for Roxy and Jetta, they are just there goofing around, LOL. I am starting to love those two.

And we also meet a new character Clash's friend and I guess I can use the term friend loosely consider they weren't really on speaking terms, and judging what is about to happen I can see. In the bios, they didn't list Blaze occupation, good thing because it looks like by the end of the next issue Blaze is going to unemployed. Giving Blaze gender, I am just going to refer to Blaze in the third person like I would Frosch from Fairy Tail or Crona from Soul Easter, those that don't know I love manga. Blaze is going to be in the unemployment line very soon, maybe she will bump into David Letterman.

What is with IDW and these cross over lately, first in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Friends Forever 16 they are lot of Littlest Pet Shop a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cameo, and here we have a My Little Pony cameo in Rainbow Dash. Rio giving Jerrica a Rainbow Dash plushy is so cute, though perhaps she should have gotten a Fluttershy because she is shy, or Twilight Sparkle because she is a leader, or Rarity because they are stylish and fashion, or Pinkie Pie because you know pink, at least it is not a Applejack because AJ is all about honesty and truthfulness and Jerrica is about secrets. Ha ha.

I hope we will see Techrat soon, and what about Eric and Zipper, I know the Misfits are going to be more rivals than outright villains this time, which could mean no Zipper, but could we fit in Eric somehow as the incompetent buffoon manager.

Anyway loved the issue.

6. zoombie

Issue 4

Well another great issue, I love the cover with Pizzazz center stage without the other Misfits in the background.

I like the Kimber / Stormer relationship and who knows if this continues to be done right I might love it, I take this over Kimber having a billion boyfriends like in the old cartoon.

Kimber bumps into Clash, and when a waitress has a wrench you know that is a red flag, we will see if this comes into play later. Poor Blaze, she needs this job and Clash is going to ruin everything, with friends like Clash who needs enemies.

So Rio finally meets Jem and he doesn't seem to be that impressed, and giving what was said about him in his bio, most likely to learn your secret, looks like he might learn Jem's identity in this series, I hope that happens, something that should have happened in the old cartoon show.

On a side not I love Pizzazz's moe look in this issue.

Interesting that while on the old cartoon show the other Misfits wanted Stormer to be more Misfit like, while here they want her to be the responsible one, they count on that.

Well looks like Jem might be in trouble at the end of this issue, just like the ending of the third episode "Kimber's Rebellion".

Next issue, I am loving Kimber and Stormer cover shot and Kimber looks mad, hate to be Clash now.

This is my new favorite comic, I have decided it is, at least favorite monthly comic.

7. zoombie

Issue 5

Okay I am continuing to love this series, we getting closer to the end of this arc.

I loved that Aja got injured, don't get me wrong I love Aja, but I am glad their consequences for these dangerous actions, in the cartoon how many times has some been in danger of either serious injury or death a lot of which are the result of actions by the Misfits, 9 / 10 times everything turns out okay and no one gets hurt, but here there are consequences. I got to give credit for that.

I am loving the Kimber / Stormer relationship, but would I say this no mater the sexual orientation, but those two should just get room, always making out come on we get it, let's tone that down. I say this if this was a straight couple, even a couple I loved, if Aang and Katara constantly made out in the Dark Horse Avatar comics (though the lovey dovey talk is just as annoying) I would have the same feelings.

I do love Pizzaz reaction to Clash little stunt, she realizes when stuff like this happens to Jem and the Holograms, it just gives them more publicity. Something that always puzzled about the cartoon and its logic, when the Misfits or one of their associates do something that could kill or at least injure Jem or one of the Holograms, it would help their publicity, and god forbid if Jem and the Holograms got killed at such a young age, they would instant legends forever. If being morally wrong isn't enough, for their bottom line of being more popular than Jem and the Holograms, it is dumb to try to hurt them. So this Pizzaz kind of gets it.

And we have another pony cameo, Sunset Shimmer appears this time. I wonder what pony will appear next? I am hoping for Pinkie Pie. Or maybe have an LPS pet appear.

Looks like what appears to Craig Phillips appearing, no confirmation it is him, but being the next arc introduces Raya, this could more to do with the next arc and set up for another drummer search storyline. The next arc is titled "Viral", that reminds of the upcoming live action movie, and in September (the same month of the new arc, not to mention Smoke and Shadows finally going to be a good month) will be a Jem an the Holograms annual which will be a bunch of stories, similar to LPS annual Spring Cleaning. Look forward to that.

I love the montage during the Jem and the Holorgrams video, especially loved the Roxy and Jetta, they are like best friends in this version, I am just loving it.

I also liked before the whole Clash thing happened, Jerrica and the Holograms they were trying to be civil with the Misfits, I like that so much better than in the cartoon in which Jerrica for no good reason just called them trash.

End of the issue, Kimber finds out that Clash the person responsible for sabotaging their concert and injuring Aja is associating with the Misfits, looks like that could mean the end of Kimber and Stormer's relationship, and the Holograms blame the Misfits for this, and a food fight starts and everyone is hit except for the one responsible for this Clash whose facial at the very end is so adorable and hilarious. Ironic that in this version the Misfits really had nothing do with Jem almost getting killed.

Next issue, we conclude this arc, I am interesting to see how they wrap this up.

8. zoombie

Issue 6

Okay we conclude the Showtime arc, and I must admit it went by pretty fast. The post food fight lineup was great, especially Roxy, what happened to her? Ha ha ha.

I liked that the Misfits they didn't want the Holograms to be disqualified and win by default, they wanted to take them on, this is from the cartoon version, the cartoon version didn't care how they won a win is a win, also get the idea despite their bravado the Misfits thought the Holograms were better than them and they could never beat them in a fair fight, but these Misfits they actually have real confidence and belief in themselves.

Kind of disappointing we didn't get Jem and the Holograms vs the Misfits as it was build up throughout, but in a way I am kind of glad, if that happened, the Holograms would win, and the Misfits totally defeated, here both bands can stand face.

Also loved the role reversal, this time it is the Holograms that sabotage a Misfits concert. And yeah the Limp Lizard.

Looks like the war has started, can't wait to see what happens, and from the issue 7 teaser, looks like Eric Raymond is coming soon.

9. zoombie

Issue 7

Well Eric finally makes his debut, and he is not a woman. I wonder if the comic will follow the similar back story in that he has some vendetta against the Benton family. And Techrat is here, yeah. We don't know what he is going to do, but something tells me that the Holograms are going to have more reason to hate the Misfits and their camp after Techrat does what he is going to do.

And Rio is more level headed in this universe, he even gives the Misfits props for their talent, that is something the good guys never did in the cartoon, they give the Stingers their props, but never the Misfits because their bad people which means their music sucks.

I wonder how they are going to do the Stormer is Craig's sister reveal and how Aja and the others will react. At least she is not going to assume they are married, LOL.

They are setting up Raya's debut with the tease that Shanna might go away for a bit. I wonder what the name of the fashion will be, it be cool if it was Fashion University North, it be cool to get an LPS reference, and I am hoping to get a Rarity cameo soon.

As for the art style, it took sometime to get used to it, but I got through it.

10. zoombie

Annual

I love this annual, it was great. I loved how much screen time Synergy got and got to have a personality. It is clever all the stories together with them falling asleep watching movie.

I loved them all, but if I had to pick least favorite, it is probably Jem Wolf, probably I don't care much for the tween romantic genre that Twilight inspired which includes Teen Wolf, if it is the original Michael J. Fox that is another story, could have used some ponies or at least Equestria Girls counter part cameos. Though I love the art.

Now onto Angry Aja Beyond Thunder-Rotunda, Mad Max parody, now that is what I am talking about. Though I think they were going for some Indiana Jones reference as well, and dam Synergy looked awesome, you see what I mean by the comic Synergy having a personality.

Shana Wars, I know Star Wars has been done to death, but just the thought of Synergy talking like Yoda is enough to make it worth while.

Last but not least Jem Babies, no surprise this is my favorite because is has Misfits in it, and it was so funny. They are all so cute, seeing little Kimber and little Stormer interacting was so cute, and Pizzaz at the end just throwing Kimber off stage hilarious, not to mention Rio doing his best Flash Sentry impersination of being totally useless.

This comic ruled, this was a great annual.

11. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

The Big NYCC JEM Announcement Was A New Comic: Dark JEM

[​IMG]

Spinning out of an idea Campbell first thought of years ago, before the "Jem" comic was even a reality, "Dark Jem" includes an artificial intelligence called Silica, which Thompson describes as "the first real look at a price for having Synergy in [the Holograms'] lives," goth-inspired versions of Jem, Kimber, Shana and Aja, and how all of this affects the series' other band, the Misfits.

Sophie Campbell: Several years ago, I was goofing around with ideas for a pretend hypothetical Jem comic just for fun, and one of them was "Dark Jem." I can hardly remember the original idea, it was basically: "Wouldn't it be cool if there was an evil goth version of Jem?!" Kelly was into it, and she stepped in and came up with an awesome actual story for it. We added more ideas to it, but that's where the original seed came from. It's really awesome seeing it come together as a reality after all this time. I'm really into goth music and the gothaesthetic and spooky stuff, so "Dark Jem" also gives me an excuse to go hog wild with the character designs.

Silica sounds pretty sneaky and mysterious. What can you say about the threat it represents for our heroines?

Thompson: I think Silica is a kind of story element that you almost have to address if your concept includes a powerful AI as "Jem and The Holograms" does. There have to be ramifications to something as powerful as Synergy, especially using it in a, let's be honest, mostly selfish capacity. Jem and The Holograms' intentions are not bad ones, or ones that are intended to ever hurt anyone, but you don't get anything for nothing in this life -- everything comes with a price.

Silica is the first real look at a price for having Synergy in their lives and it's going to force them to confront some painful truths and really lean on their strong bonds of sisterhood in order to make it through. From a story and character perspective, Silica is fantastic because she pushed on all our characters in amazing ways -- especially Jerrica, and the crutch that Jem/Synergy is becoming for her -- how reliant she is on it as a device to live her life. But Silica effects everyone and really pushes them toward self-examination. None of our main characters will escape Silica unscathed.

Campbell: The main threat Silica poses is that she is more stylish than the Holograms. The "dark" makeovers she gives them are cooler than their regular looks, and I'm not sure if they can bounce back from that!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/nycc-thompson-campbell-re-team-for-dark-jem

Fun Fact: Did You Know That-

There was even plans for a Jem movie at one point, as had been done previously with Hasbro's other brands GI Joe and Transformers. But with the poor results of those movies, the plans for the Jem movie didn't get beyond a basic outline by Christy. It was to include a couple of twins which were a music team called the Mongrels and their synthesizer Entropy, a masculine counterpart of Synergy invented by Techrat, which puts people in a form of trance. Characters that were to appear in the movie were Jem and the Holograms, the Misfits, the Mongrels (Alex and Alyx Couto), Synergy, Rio, Eric Raymond, Anthony Julian, Techrat, Joanie, Mrs. Bailey, and the Starlight Girls.

http://www.rockjem.com/jemstory.html

So Silica sounds like Entropy. Or Sharon Apple.

[​IMG]

12. zoombie

That is not a new comic, that is a new story arc, a big difference. I thought for a moment I had a new series I had to buy along with Jem, and the two My Little Pony comics.

13. zoombie

Issue 8

In lure of the live action movie coming out, which sounds pretty bad, but regardless we still go the comics thankfully.

So are the Holograms and the Misfits going to be in the same label, I don't know if that is a good idea, and are the Holograms going to open for the Misfits, granted the role is reversed this time the Holograms are opening for the Misfits not the other way like in the cartoon, but still not a good idea for them to tour together, and I don't think this record executive lady is like that crazy Texan that wanted "sparks to fly".

Is just me or was Pizzazz very mellow in this issue, see seemed a lot more clam than I am used to seeing her especially the argument with Stormer, and I thought her playing an online video game with a little kid was cute, even though she wants to crush him, but still kind of shows a soft side of Pizzazz we rarely if ever saw on the cartoon.

And frustrated Techrat, is awesome. They really got the best out of Techrat, they know what they are doing. The Misfits are going to crash a costume party, I don't know what they are planning with those costumes, but it is going to be good.

Next issue, we have the halloween costume party, and I bet at least one person will dress up as a pony.

14. ikey2

ikey2 Member

This month's nerdblock had a limited edition cover for the outrageous annual 1

Tried adding the picture but keeps failing.

Ike's phone

15. ikey2

ikey2 Member

uploadfromtaptalk1445635368466.jpg

Ike's phone

16. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

17. zoombie

Issue 9

So the Viral arc ends on a bang literally, more on that later, I do like that Kimber and Stormer are staring to reach out to each other, they need their space and now they can talk things through, that is what you do in a good healthy relationship.

Speaking of relationship Aja and Craig are hitting it off, while Jerrica and Rio to be much more healthier than in the cartoon, and Rio costume actually made me laugh.

And I am convinced Clash has a crush on Pizzazz. Speaking of Pizzazz everyone else in the Misfits are mad at her, after she reacted to the news of Jem and the Holograms opening for them and she just stormed off forgetting about them.

And it ends Pizzazz getting in a car crash. I know that is a serious thing and it is nothing to make of, but the irony, I know this Pizzazz is a different person, but I can't help but think how many times the cartoon Pizzazz put people and this what happens.

Next issue, we get a one shot with Rio's point of view and a special Christmas issue, I always wished the old cartoon had a Christmas episode, so I am finally going to get my wish.

18. zoombie

Holiday Special

Well this was a nice issue. The old cartoon never had a winter holiday, so we finally got one.

We find out Pizzazz is Jewish, who knew? I love the cover, Pizzazz looked like the evil queen about to give Snow White a poison gift.

I love a lot of the comedy bits like Aja loading the Christmas tree on the roof of the car, the fire coming out of the Holograms and Misfits at the party.

The record executive plan for the Holograms and Misfits to get along via the secret Santa actually worked for the most part, I guess it shows you if you can get the Misfits to think of it as a competition they will corrupted, just manipulate their competitive nature and you can make them be nice.

Rainbow Dash makes her appearance, well Jem did make a cameo in the cartoon, I am continuing to love these little wink wink crossovers between the two franchises.

That little moment Pizzazz had with Jerrica at the end, that was so awesome, now that is something I wish they had just once in the cartoon.

So that is the Christmas issue, also this month is issue 10 a special Rio center story, when I get that I will review it. Till than have an outrageous Holidays.

19. zoombie

Issue 10

Well this issue we look at things from Rio's prospective. I have to say this Rio compared to the cartoon is night and day, I like him so much better than his cartoon adaption.

So Pizzazz is hurt, her vocal cords injured and career in jeopardy, dam this took a dark turn. I like that Roxy and Jetta they got some attention in this issue, it is about time. So they are room mates, I guess most of their bickering is an act for Pizzazz's sake.

Who is Rio's boss, J Johan Jamison? Dam he seemed harsh.

So it is official, Jem and the Holograms are opening for the Misfits, well this should be interesting, but from what I heard in synopsis, the two bands are going to have their own separate plots, so who knows how much interaction they will have. I do predict that what happens here is without Pizzazz, the Holograms and Misfits, and I guess I mean more specifically Roxy and Jetta, since Stormer is someone who can get along with anyone, I think the two groups will get along without Pizzazz being that divisive keg.

20. zoombie

Issue 11

So we began the Dark Jem, and from what I heard in the issue descriptions, the conflicts are going to be internal. The Holograms and Misfits are going to have their own internal conflicts they have to deal with, so it won't be Holograms vs Misfits like usual, which I think is a nice twist.

So we about to go on a big tour with Jem and the Holograms opening for the Misfits, and we have our own issues to deal with, I love all the outfits the women whore, especially the Misfits whore.

The Misfits they have their own problems as Pizzazz is out of commission for maybe forever and they need a new singer. We see them try out these horrible horrible new singers. And one of them the pink haired out, maybe it is because I am kind of obcessed with Steven Universe at the moment, but one of them looks like Rose Quartz, she also looks like a human Fluttershy, and if they were going for anything that is what they were going for, but for me when I saw her, I was thinking Rose she is here in the Jem world, cool.

Just me or is the record company executive does she look younger, I guess dealing with Pizzazz can age a person and getting a little break from that can heal you. Ha ha.

We finally got the reveal on Craig being Stormer's brother finally, and I love how cool Aja is with this.

In the end, Clash's friend Blazz tries out and the look on Clash's face, I could see a war breaking out. And giving what I know about the next issue, Blazz is the new singer, and I thought wouldn't be something that on this tour the Holograms and Misfits get along because Pizzazz is not there.

We see Jem as a new look, a more dark look, there is going to be trouble, I don't know what happened to Synergy, but I think Techrat may have unknowingly did something.