1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Jeannie" (1973) and "Partridge Family: 2200 A.D." (1974) Question

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by ClassicTVMan1981, Nov 27, 2013.

1. ClassicTVMan1981

Does anyone here know of the syndication status of these animated adaptations of I Dream of Jeannie and The Partridge Family respectively?

They are Jeannie and Partridge Family: 2200 A.D. Both aired on CBS originally (as opposed to NBC and ABC like the original live-action series were), in 1973 and 1974 respectively, being removed from CBS' lineup after 1975.

My question concerning these two series are: after having been broken up for show on Fred Flintstone and Friends, were these two shows ever reran on their own in the '80s and '90s? And, if so, did any Columbia Pictures Television logo (like the "Coke Bottle Torch Lady" from 1982) follow the Hanna-Barbera logo in the closing credits?

Two episodes of PF2200 are available on DVD via the Partridge Family Complete Series box set, but it is a gray area so far for the animated Jeannie. And don't ask Warner Archive about these: these two cartoons reside with Sony Pictures Entertainment for obvious reasons.

~Ben

2. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I found an end credits video of PH2200 on youtube that has a CPT logo put after the Rainbow HB logo, but one of the commentors says it was a fake (and the quality of the CPT logo is different that the quality of the rest of the video). Still, here it is:
    Partridge Family 2200 A.D. (Closing) - YouTube
    (please remove link if this is a violation of the rules)

3. ClassicTVMan1981

Yeah, I saw that one already.

~Ben

4. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Antenna TV should rerun these on weekends!

5. ClassicTVMan1981

My other thoughts on these two series:

JEANNIE (1973) - Do you think that Sidney Sheldon, the man who'd created the original NBC series, could've considered a lawsuit against Hanna-Barbera, alleging the cartoon studio's Jeannie design didn't match the original? While the live-action Jeannie has blonde hair, the cartoon Jeannie opted for red hair. That, plus the replacement of other major characters like Major Anthony "Tony" Nelson (Larry Hagman), Roger Healey (Bill Daily) and Dr. Bellows (Hayden Rorke) with Corry Anders (pun on "coriander" and voiced by future Star Wars actor Mark Hamill), Babu (Joe Besser), Henry Gloop (Bob Hastings) and Mrs. Anders (Janet Waldo). The omission of many of the original NBC show's unique sound effects, in addition to the prior details, such as Jeannie blinking and disappearing, may have been the cartoon's downfall.

PARTRIDGE FAMILY, 2200 A.D. (1974) - Original PF series creator Bernard Slade could see blood dripping over his paychecks on what began life as a Jetsons teenaged revival a la The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show, before CBS then-head Fred Silverman requested changes be made that led to the show being what it was. That, plus the most egregious omissions of David Cassidy (who played Keith and wanted nothing to do with PF after the original ABC series was shelved earlier in 1974), Shirley Jones (Shirley Partridge) and Dave Madden (Reuben) in favor of Chuck McLennan (proper confirmed spelling?), Joan Gerber and veteran H-B actor John Stephenson respectively (despite Madden's name appearing in the credits), while Susan Dey only reprised her role of Laurie for two episodes before calling it quits in favor of Sherry Alberoni. Only Danny Bonaduce (Danny Partridge), Suzanne Crough (Tracy) and Brian Forster (the second Chris) retained their roles in the live-action to cartoon transition.

~Ben

#5 ClassicTVMan1981, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  6. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

And Sony Pictures would have had the rights to all pre-fall 1966 HB of course, had that whole Turner/WB ownership deal not happened (talk about getting rights to a show from a rival compay--then again Turner/WB's deal included that MGM cartoon purchase, and the A/DFE shorts wound up with longtime UA associate or owner MGM...! As for animate Jeannie, like Tina Louise on Gilligan as Ginger, for the "Gilligan"cartoon aroun that time by Filmation,the association issue might have ad something to do with Jeannie's diferent hair color.In fact since Shirley Jones DID NOT sing on he Partridge cartoon,hr name, Shirley like hers, was changed to Connie!

7. ClassicTVMan1981

In specifics, the exact closing logos I am referring to that could've been seen after the Hanna-Barbera logo on these two shows in the 1980s, would have had looked like this:
    [​IMG]

During 1988, it would've been something like this:
    [​IMG]

or like this:
    [​IMG]

Starting in the fall of 1992, it would have been something like this:
    [​IMG]

or like this:
    [​IMG]

Hope these all help you...

~Ben

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

You see this all the time in cartoons made out of live-action properties. It's because using the likenesses of actors and actresses costs extra. It's looking the SAME that would get them sued.

9. ClassicTVMan1981

That could also explain why there were no teenaged versions of Majs. Anthony Nelson and Roger Healey, and Dr. Bellows. They wouldn't have had their jobs then.

~Ben

#9 ClassicTVMan1981, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  10. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

When I saw those shows on their network run I recall seeing the Columbia copyright but not the SG/CPT logos, just HB.

11. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Here's the scoop:

When Jeannie & PF2200AD were repeated on Fred Flintstone & Friends, the rainbow CPT logo in play at the time would've been used. For the original 1973 Jeannie prints, they'd have used the "scary S" Screen Gems logo which was still in use at the time. I never saw it first-run, so I'm only guessing. Screen Gems morphed into Columbia Pictures Television in '74, so the "pretzel" logo would've been attached to a first-run print (again, I never saw it first-run) of Partridge Family 2200 AD.

12. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

And has bee brought back in the current theatrial Screen Gems, just not an Animated SG, but stil potentially scary The modern day Screen Gems, which still hasthe same affillation, has produced box office hits such as the 2009 remake of the 1987 horror clssic favorite "The Stepfathe, and original movies like "Obsssed,"Lake View Terrace", and the "Carrie" remake th MGM.

Just no announcer or scary [Eric Siday] electoc music on modern day Screen Gems film now..:

13. rmarti3926

rmarti3926 Enforcing galatic law

I was wondering if the Jeannie animated series has a chance to be released on DVD? I love to see that show.

14. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

That decision lies with Sony.