1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"iZombie" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by James Harvey, Mar 17, 2015.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Based on the critically-acclaimed Vertigo/DC Comics title, iZombie airs Tuesdays at 9pm (ET) on The CW!

[​IMG]
    "The Calm"
    Tuesday, March 17th, 2015 @ 9 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW

Complete details below!

Comments on this series?

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Any love for iZombie?

I can't help but notice there isn't a talkback thread----yet---for iZombie, which is airing in back of The Flash on Tuesdays as of this week.

You don't need to read the comic book from which it sprang, since the concept has been changed to a crime drama with supernatural overtones. This lends itself to the prospect of a crossover with either Arrow or Flash next season, should iZombie be renewed.

Rob Thomas (the creator of Veronica Mars, not the singer) is one of the creators of the TV version, comic book co-creator Mike Allred contributed new art for the show open. If you haven't seen it already, do check it out.

Mod Note: Apologies - thread was made but not properly moved out for some reason, likely a forum glitch! Rectified!

3. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

I surprisingly enjoyed that pilot.
    If the writers can slowly do away with the cop aspect of the show, that would be great.

Funniest analogy mentioned by The Black Nerd: Zombies X That's So Raven

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Been waiting for this for months. I think it says something about me that the only way I'll watch a procedural is if the main character is a zombie.

5. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

I just learned about this show last week, and was really lookig forward to it and it didn't disappoint. I loved it. I really like Liv, I love the tone of the show where some humor is allowed, and Ravi and Det. Babineaux are great too.

Only thing that's needs some work imho is Liv's family and ex-fiance.

6. hobbyfan

Part of the reason it's a cop show is because the original concept by Mike Allred & Chris Roberson, involving a were-dog and a ghost as the zombie's BFF's, strikes too close to Being Human (both the UK & US versions). Also, I think they needed to configure this show as "another CW show" more than another comic book or cop show.

7. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Its funny then, how the premise of the show is oddly reminiscent of Tru Calling, a show about Eliza Dushku and a way pre-Hangover Zach Galifianakis reliving the previous day anytime a corpse at the morgue [they were working at] would "talk" to Eliza's character. Which isn't a bad thing, I loved Tru Calling and I actually loved the pilot for this show. Rose McIver is always a pleasure to watch and its good to see Aly Michalka on the CW again.

8. hobbyfan

Week 2 brings a male zombie into the mix. Liv, in her narration, references herself as a fake psychic (think Psych), but the by-play with this other zombie suggests they're trying to pick up a Buffy-Angel or Spike vibe. This will not end well.

9. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

To quote Hugh Jackman: "What did you expect, yellow spandex?"

I like the cop aspect of the show. It keeps this grounded more in reality. It's not meant to be in the same league as "Flash" and "Arrow".

I caught the last half of the episode last night, my first time tuning in. The whole "eating brains gives you that person's memories" is directly from "Warm Bodies", the 2013 zombie comedy film. Which I'm fine with, it's a good twist.

Having said that, I don't usually care for "I'm narrating the show I'm staring in" as a narrative device. Only time I like that is when it's "Captain's Log" time in Star Trek. In other series, it seems trite - a way to tell us what the character is thinking other than just letting us see what she's thinking by how she's acting, or by what she says aloud.

10. hobbyfan

The off-camera narration by lead actors or actresses pre-dates Star Trek, actually. I'm cool with it.

11. hobbyfan

Week 3, and Liv has to kill a full-on zombie who was once her friend. Painful, yes, but this was just a sub-plot to the main story. Not really on board with Blaine (the male zombie who apparently infected Liv) hanging around. Not sure if he's a creation for the show to be the antagonist for Liv, as I don't think he appeared in the book.

12. hobbyfan

Week 4, and the main plot is now starting to come into focus. Blaine is the big bad, creating new zombies he can control so he can continue whatever it is he was doing as a human. The sooner Liv removes him from play, like, maybe, in the season finale, the better.

13. hobbyfan

I've been flipping between baseball and both Flash & iZombie on Tuesdays lately, but am I the only one who really cares about this show now?

14. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

Nah man, I love it. I just don't have much to say other than I'm surprised at how fast the Blaine story is moving and how organically it slowly involved Major, Clive, now Liv and Ravi and even Liv's family. I look forward to it every Tuesday.

15. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

I was gonna say the same thing. It's a very entertaining show but there isn't much to comment on. It's not so great as to warrant praise every week but unless someone is giving a full on review that warrants commenting I'm not surprised the show isn't generating any talk back.

16. hobbyfan

Translated, maybe folks are waiting for the DVD release?

17. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It's renewed for Season 2! Liv Moore will live more!

18. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Awesome!

19. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

Amazing news!