1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

It's strange how Fox Kids and Kids' WB! were different from other SatAM blocks

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by TheMisterManGuy, Nov 4, 2016.

1. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

Unlike CBS, ABC, or NBC. Fox and The WB ran their children's programing divisions a bit differently. Fox Kids and Kids' WB! operated as essentially mini-networks unto themselves. Unlike the Big 3 which only offered children's programing on Saturday Mornings, Fox and The WB offered Kids programing everyday except Sunday. Not only that, but by the early 2000s, they were also the only Networks who decided not to comply with the FCC E/I regulation that was forced upon the big 3. As such, Fox Kids and Kids' WB! were given much more freedom in what they aired compared to the kids brands of other networks. As I said, both were essentially networks in and of themselves.

Of course this proved to loose it's appeal by the late 2000s, Fox sold it's Family division to Disney in 2001, gutted Fox Kids' weekday operations, and eventually, auctioned off the leftovers to 4kids. Kids' WB! downsized significantly in the late 2000s, lost Pokemon to Cartoon Network when it moved to The CW, and by it's final season, had been reduced to airing nothing but foreign acquisitions, until the leftovers were sold to 4kids. It's ironic that 4kids would take over both blocks as they declined.

2. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

It's also ironic how most of the shows from the Fox block moved to the CW block.

3. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Well they still had four WB Animated shows by the time they closed. The costs among other things (ratings and cable) killed Kids' WB! Pokemon killed Fox Kids largely, along with the powers that be not knowing how to run a block.

4. TheMisterManGuy

Yeah, but they were just holdovers from the previous season. The new shows Kids' WB! aired in it's last season were all acquisitions. What confuses me though is why Fox never had a reliable TV animation department for Fox Kids like Warner Bros. did. Saban acquired half their children's production unit (thus creating Fox Kids Worldwide) but surely Fox's animation division behind The Simpsons and King of the Hill could've provided some children's programing.

5. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

They weren't holdovers at all. Their respective seasons were produced in mid to late 2007. June 2007 was when WB Animation transferred their operations from Sherman Oaks to the Warner Bros. Ranch because of the decreasing number of productions being made at the time.

6. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

A few notes to this in terms of why Fox and the WB were different in terms of how they handled their children's programming:

-Unlike the big three, networks that aired Fox and the WB were originally syndicated networks. Given how most syndicated network scheduling was handled at the time (cartoons or local news in the morning; talk shows, games shows, and reruns of older shows from mid-morning to mid-afternoon; an afternoon children's block; reruns of more recent shows in the early evening), Fox and the WB were able to take advantage of this and were able to air children's programming on days alongside Saturdays.

-When it came to the E/I regulation, that was another advantage of having a weekday block: by having an E/I program air weekdays, they only needed to have one half-hour on Saturday devoted to that type of programming, with the rest of schedule being devoted to the types of show that dominated Saturday mornings before the E/I rule came to be.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. TheMisterManGuy

That's what I meant. The WB shows that season were just shows from the previous season returning for new episodes. The new shows that aired on Kids' WB!'s last season were almost entirely foreign acquisitions.