1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Its been 15 years since Fox Kids went defunct

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Eek!Swimmer1623, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Eek!Swimmer1623

Eek!Swimmer1623 New Member

Fox Kids is one of my favorite blocks that has ever existed. The block was before my time, but I got to watch several of the programs (mostly the ones that were part of the lineup during the 92, 93, and 94 fall season), thanks to stuff like the Internet, The Hub, and DVDs. Its been 15 years since this block went defunct. It had a really good run, though I feel that in its later years it started to decline by focusing a lot on Digimon and Power Rangers and shows like those and getting rid of shows quickly like Spidey Unlimited and Big Guy (they brought them back later on though). During its golden years though, it was the place to be cause "Everything was Happening on Fox". It had some of my all time favorite 90s cartoons like Animaniacs, Batman: The Animated Series, The Tick, Eek! The Cat, Looney Tunes reruns, and X-Men. It felt like the 90s version of The Hub at times also bringing a wide variety of programs. You had action shows, cheesy action shows, wacky comedys, variety comedys, superhero comedys, slice of life shows, educational shows, etc. The bumpers and promos were also great, from the alien bumpers to the samurai bumpers, as well as promotions like Fox Kids is what? Fox Kids is Cool!. While there were some weak programs in there (Super Dave anyone?), the best years of Fox Kids were an awesome treat, especially to those without cable, like my dad. He watched Fox Kids on Weekday Afternoons for shows like Tiny Toons, Power Rangers, Batman, and Animaniacs. Overall, it was a great lineup.

Now I don't normally do this, but there's actually a really well detailed, informative, and constructive video that not only tells the history of Fox Kids but also gives a review of them and he gives them a fair review. Here it is

2. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

R.I.P Fox Kids: 1990 to 2002. They single-handily saved Saturday Morning and Weekday Afternoon cartoons from the abyss we had fallen into around 1990, when we had to suffer through stuff like "Captain N the Game Master", "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show", "Captain Planet", and "The New Adventures of He-Man"...though the initial Fox Kids line-up in 1990 wasn't the best either, with stuff like "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". Thankfully, Fox Kids had established it's dominance by 1992.

It still feels like the cancellation of the Fox Kids block in 2002 was way too abrupt and unexpected, considering it was king of the 90's Saturday Mornings. Yes, by 2000 onward, "Kids WB" was king in the ratings, but I thought they had a healthy rivalry. "Digimon" was a solid rival to "Pokemon" in those final 2 or 3 years. Every other program Fox Kids picked up, in those last couple of years, failed though...

• Like Like x 1
    #2 wonderfly, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  3. sasq

sasq Active Member

The Italian Fox Kids is still airing, but it's named K2.

4. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

K2 is owned by Discovery Channel.

5. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

For what do remember watching I did like watching Digimon on this block, honestly the fall of this block would lead a domino effect for the other Sat Morning blocks.

6. wonderfly

Hmm. Well, arguably, the end of NBC's Saturday morning block back in 1992 was what set off the dominoes...

But yeah, "Fox Kids" being sold to Disney ended up having a chain effect: Disney ended it's "One Disney Morning" block in 2002, as part of the revamp of it's networks (from 2002 onward, till the end in 2011, ABC on Saturday mornings was basically airing reruns of what aired previously on Disney's cable channel). The sale of Fox Kids to Disney ended up creating "Jetix" (which altered the "Toon Disney" channel). But I liked "Jetix", so there's that...

When the subsequent programming block ("Fox Box" aka "4Kids TV") failed, 4Kids basically jumped ship and took over Kids WB (which became "The CW 4 Kids"). So yeah, it was kind of a dominoes effect...

• Agree Agree x 2
    #6 wonderfly, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember being so surprised when Fox Kids didn't have their own afternoon block anymore. It would start before I could get home from school, but it was still something I'd check out for Digimon reruns from time to time. Considering how long Kids' WB lasted, I'm kind of surprised that Fox Kids ended when it did. Saturday morning blocks were already becoming more out dated by that point, but Fox Kids probably could have lasted another couple of years or so if things had turned out differently.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

I've said this multiple times before, but what Fox Kids needed to combat Kids' WB! was, not more Anime, but more in-house productions. Specifically, Fox needed an in-house TV animation unit that it's networks could feed off of, like Warner Bros. has. It may not have been able to reach the highs of WBA, but it could've at least guaranteed a longer life for Fox Kids Network and Fox Family Channel. They should've also never merged with Saban Entertainment. As much as Power Rangers was a huge success for the network, the Saban Merger caused Fox Kids to over rely on them, and as a result loose their grip on the market.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. wonderfly

Yeah, but the ties to Power Rangers went all the way back to 1993, when they aired the first Power Rangers season. When I "rediscovered" Saturday mornings around 1998/1999, I was surprised to find Power Rangers still on the air. Even after Fox Kids was cancelled, the show continued on "Jetix" (which is kind of the sequel to "Fox Kids"). It seems Power Rangers and Fox Kids were always meant to go together, hand in hand.

Well, both lasted 12 to 13 years. Fox Kids from 1990 to 2002, Kids WB from 1995 to 2008 (though the last couple of years were kind of "meh")...

"Kids WB" had it's network ("The WB") come to an end though, Fox Kids...just up and died.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, I thought that Fox Kids started in the mid-90's for some reason, or at least not in 1990.