1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

IsWinnieThePooh's PreschoolStatus WhyItDoesn'tDoWell Theatrically? What Could Be DoneToHelp

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by SweetShop209, Sep 4, 2017.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Winnie The Pooh is a franchise that a lot of us hold dear, whether you've seen the cartoons and/or read the books. However, Pooh doesn't seem to do well in theaters. Critically speaking, the films are all well received, but financially, they either lose money or only make a little money back. (Though I'm not sure how the theatrical shorts do). The only exception is The Tigger Movie, which made about 96 million dollars on a 15-30 million dollar budget, making it the highest grossing Pooh movie, and it's still well received. Look at the other films released theatrically:

1. I can't find the financial status for the 1977 Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh film, whether it made money or lost money. All I know is that it's well received.

2. Piglet's Big Movie only made about 63 million dollars on a 46 million dollar budget.

3. Pooh's Heffalump Movie only made about 53 million dollars on a 20 million dollar budget.

4. Winnie the Pooh (2011) has two theories. One is that it made only 30 million dollars on a 33 million dollar budget. Another theory is that it made 50 million dollars on a 30 million dollar budget. Either way, it bombed financially, and after serious consideration, Disney cancelled plans for any more hand drawn movies.

One thing some people think might've hurt Pooh's theatrical reputation would be its status as "for preschoolers". Winnie The Pooh has had three shows: The New Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh, The Book Of Pooh, and My Friends Tigger And Pooh. Of the three, TNAOWTP was released on ABC back when it aired educational content with frequent reruns on Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior, while the latter two shows were produced specifically for Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior. Pooh's most recent project was a crossover with Doc McStuffins, another Disney Junior show.

All of Pooh's theatrical projects are G rated. Even though G means it's for general audiences, Hollywood seems to think it's strictly for little kids. Not helping things is how all the G rated theatrical films this decade (whether short term or long term) are either

A) Based on a movie franchise that started before the 2010s, meaning it's not completely original (the Toy Story movies and the Cars movies for examples)

B) Lost money (like the aforementioned 2011 Winnie the Pooh)

C) Get mixed or negative reception (Equestria Girls 1, Cars 2, Cars 3 are mixed while Oogieloves is flat out panned)

When you think of more recent theatrical films that adapt children's books like Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs or How To Train Your Dragon or Tangled, they're all rated PG in order to secure that adults will come without alienating kids, and they put in plenty of parental bonuses. The live action Winnie The Pooh will most likely be PG since live action films of animated movies like Jungle Book and Beauty And The Beast are PG rated to G rayed animated films.

With all this in mind, Is Winnie The Pooh's Preschool Status Why It Doesn't Do Well Theatrically? What Could Be Done To Help Out? What else do you think causes Pooh movies to not do well financially? Tell me your thoughts below.

#1 SweetShop209, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

They need to make a dark, gritty reboot. JK

I honestly feel that Winnie the Pooh is just for entertaining kids. Not that they are poorly made or bad, it's just that they are nothing I would really watch unless I'm watching it with kids or for nostalgia. I think they should just stick to DTV movies.

3. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Lack of marketing, or releasing on a bad date. The Tigger Movie was marketed properly, and was a success making $45 million domestically, and $96 million worldwide. The other Winnie the Pooh movies you mentioned had poor marketing, or were released the same day as a blockbuster, so they ended up doing poorly. And the answer to fix this is good marketing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Other than the movies this franchise is strong but the movies just don't drive in much for most people.

5. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I summed up my feelings about the new Winnie the Pooh when the Blu-ray came out: it's a perfect replication of the classic Winnie the Pooh and that's exactly the problem. If you're showing someone something and it looks just like the original, you just removed any reason for anyone to go seek it out because it's the Same Old Thing We've Seen Before. I think Winnie the Pooh is just a limited property that you can do things with, and I'm not sure there's very many good ways to revamp the property to do something different with it. This is also why I felt that the hand-drawn-ness of Pooh had nothing at all to do with its failure in the marketplace, but that's what they hung the failure on. TBH, I'm not entirely sure that the general moviegoing public DOESN'T think hand-drawn animation is archaic, as much as it pains me to think so.

I'm also a bit disgruntled that that the very last thing that happens in the original books and the first Disney iteration was Christopher Robin putting aside his childish things as he moves on to the next phase of his development. This is kind of antithetical to the Disney ideals of today, where it seems we will never ever say "goodbye" permanently to anything they make no matter how old we get. I don't think this has anything to do directly with Winnie the Pooh's lack of success as a feature, but I do think there's not a lot more that can be done with him.

That said, he's still perfectly merchandise-able, based on the amount of "Pooh" stuff you can find in toy aisles and Disney stores. I don't think it's a bad thing that we aren't getting new Pooh material.