1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there anyway Warner Brothers can get it's old magic back?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by brickrrb2, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

First off, if there are disagreements, let's lighten up the tone a little. Everyone here has some valid points and are entitled to their own opinion on them.

Now, what I think...
    Part of the issue here is we, as older fans, are a niche audience. It's my impression animation is still mainly considered a kids genre by studios/media co.'s/etc., and that the older fans are still an exception. Further fragmenting that is our tastes in animated shows from a specific time ago can vary widely. Media companies want the broadest appeal for what *they* think the target demographic will be, which to me appears to be kids.

Why is that so?....

Anyone remember the squabble with advertisers and KidsWB toward the twilight of the Silver Age? The advertisers wanted more kids than adults catching their ads during the KidsWB block. Therefore, as A!, P&TB, etc., departed, most of the animated shows had less appeal for older viewers.

Revivals aren't impossible; I've noticed a handful with varying degrees of interest among fans. Some shows may have 'the magic' as good as the original, maybe some will have more than the original, or even less. Mostly, that will come down to personal opinion.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

A shame that the Tom & Jerry Golden Collection vol. 2 set may be missing two cartoons, but otherwise, I think WB is currently doing a good job at releasing their older stuff on DVD. I mean, we've seen the rest of TTA and Animaniacs come out (or about to come out), sets for Taz-Mania and Duck Dodgers, and even Blu-ray sets for Adventure Time and Regular Show. Compare that to Disney, who has pretty much abandoned the Disney Afternoon-era shows (there may be hope since the DuckTales game is getting a remake, but I'm not holding my breath) and hasn't done proper releases for Phineas & Ferb. Nickelodeon's doing alright, though, licensing some of their stuff to Shout Factory.

Since we've long griped about the lack of synergy between Turner and WB despite them being part of the same corporate family, maybe it's time for a little restructuring. Since Time-Warner is going to be spinning off Time Magazine, maybe Turner Broadcasting and HBO could absorbed into WBTV and the whole conglomerate could be renamed the Warner Bros. Entertainment Group.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I wasn't aware that I was being hostile. If that's how it came off, then I apologize. I have no problem with opinions, but the way brickrrb2 posts a lot of his comments tends to come off as flamebait, or at least could be interpreted as such. When stating an opinion, I think it wise to say why you have the opinion (or give reasons for having said opinion). Just spouting out baseless opinions teds to make one look like a troll.

But I have to ask: what's the goal, here? Is the objective to get Warner Brothers Animation on par with the likes of Disney, or is to revive Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs? I think the former can be done, the latter, not so much.

OK, that was uncalled for. If we're not going to show each other basic respect, then I really don't need to be here. This is why it says 'Retired' under my name, folks.

#23 Silverstar, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013
  4. Jenk

Jenk Member

The biggest barrier to any sort of WB revival is animation. They just don't make cartoons like TMS and Startoons used to, and any new shows would have that flat angular look that Looney Toons Show has. No thank you.

Whatever you say.

5. Pc-Famicom64

Pc-Famicom64 Active Member

1. TMS went back in the western market in 2009 starting with Green Lantern:First Flight (It's under the Telecom banner, but Telecom is the unit that dose the western stuff), plus TMS still has most of their key staff from the 90s so a reboot is no problem, and with Toei's Sailor Moon reboot, a Animaniacs come back will be perfect to combat it.

2.Yet Startoons was just outsourcing, John McClenahan dose have another studio called Mack Hammer Productions, also He go's under the name of Jonny Mack on here.

3.Theres no rule saying that everything has to be flat, but almost everything on the western hand drawn market now of days seems to be like this (I really what my 12-28 principles of animation back please), but really, theres no rule saying that everything needs to be flat and lifeless.

6. Lemanic

Lemanic Member

In the US, that might be true, but in the EU and the rest of the world, the releases are almost non-existent and are very much over-shadowed by the likes of Disney and Nickelodeon.
    I think Warner Bros. Animation Studios must adapt to a more global buisness climate in order to make themselves a name in the world.

Well, if WB, HBO and Hasbro gets together to form a conglomerate, I would be very pleased. Would you?

7. John Pannozzi

HBO is already part of Time-Warner. Why are you mentioning Hasbro? Hasbro isn't part of Time-Warner, and I don't want it to be, frankly.

8. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

I don't ever recall Warner Bros. being in an animation slump- in TV animation, it's still the best(Disney is no. 2 in TV animation, behind Warner Bros.), but feature film animation does leave something to be desired. Every animation studio has a down period, but just because they're down, they're never out. True, Cartoon Network needs a change in leadership- personally, I'd like to see Donna Speciale replace Stuart Snyder as CN president. If that happens, she'll be making some changes to CN's scheduling- drastic, if not significant, and once again put Cartoon Network back on the path it can go on. CN's ratings are rising, but with Speciale as president, it can only get better. Feature film animation does lack creativity for a movie, so that needs to improve. Guess what, every animation studio has problems, and lack of creativity and originality is two of them- once that improves, the studio improves, too. BTW, don't compare Warner Bros. TV animation issues with Disney's, because it isn't the same- Disney struggles not only with creativity and originality, but also with variety, too- namely lack of original adventure animation. Once all of these issues are ironed out and fixed, we'll see improvement, all the way around.

9. coldglynx

coldglynx Member

I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. Turner Broadcasting and HBO are Time Warners two biggest money makers. Absorbing the two companies into one group will not benefit them in anyway. All it would do is cause strife among the companies. The people running HBO and Turner would not like Warner Bros telling them what to do and vice versa. Their kept separate for a reason.

But they are in slump. With the cancellation of Thundercats, Green Lantern, and Young Justice these past years. I don't think they've had one hit. Aside from maybe Batman The Brave and the Bold.

#29 coldglynx, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  10. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

Young Justice and Green Lantern simply got cancelled to make room for the Teen Titans revival and a new Batman series

11. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Not exactly. GL and YJ got the boot because their toy lines weren't selling and they had stronger followings among adults than among the kids who are CN's target audience. Beware the Batman and Teen Titans GO! were set to roll off the assembly line whether YJ and GL got additional seasons or not.

#31 Silverstar, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  12. John Pannozzi

Good point. But I want Turner and WB to be closer, so that WBTVA shows would get better treatment on CN and there wouldn't be as much as rivalry between them. I mean, DC and New Line are part of the WB Entertainment Group and there doesn't seem to be any real trouble there. I actually don't care much about HBO, but I figure if Time-Warner is divorced from Time, then it would make sense to rebrand the whole company as the WB Entertainment Group. What you rename the post-Time Time-Warner?

13. coldglynx

coldglynx Member

Thats not gonna result in better treatment for WBTVA. That will only increase the hostilities between the two companies. Its like forcing two people who hate each others guts into marrying one another. No good will come from it.

For example the CBS/Viacom merge in 1999. That resulted in a ugly split after only 5 years. All because both companies studio heads could not get along.

I think the only way WBTA gets any respect is if they get their own channel. Or hell just move them to CW.

Thats not the same thing. Warners has owned DC since the late 60s and New Line went bankrupt. So its not like the two companies can throw their weight around and cause problems.

HBO and Turner are entirely different animals. They have been successful before and after their partnership with Warners. And they continue to be successful. Also both companies have the financial assets to exist without Warners help. Which is why Warners can't really say anything to both companies. Because they know both companies can easily leave them and set up shop somewhere else. Or worse case scenario they partner with a rival company.

Well you may not but Warner definitely cares. Especially considering the amount money and Emmy Awards HBO gives them every year.

14. John Pannozzi

^What I meant is that I don't care much about what happens to HBO in the new post-Time corporate structure of Time-Warner, at least when compared to Turner.

Also, you still haven't responded to the main point of my argument, which is what do you think would make a good name for Time-Warner after it has divorced itself from Time (I would prefer that you not say Warner Communications, since I personally feel that name isn't all that appealing, but that's just me).

15. coldglynx

coldglynx Member

Warner Communications is fine with me. I don't think its that big a deal what they are called after Time leaves.

16. John Pannozzi

You still here?

Because even though it's almost 3 years later, I think this article is relevant to our conversation about Time Warner's future.

17. ayeshakhan

ayeshakhan New Member

I guess Old is always Gold , I really want to see their old magic again as we have seen the best cartoons at our childhood but now a days I can see newly grown up kids the cartoons they are watching are not comparable with those old times , I wish they come up with new ideas and techniques

18. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

The thing with WB as a whole, even though it may not seem that way, is that they're financially struggling. Their situation is not ideal. Far from it. That's why they have to play everything as safe as possible. And it's showing across all of their assets. Saddest part about it is that it's more less their own fault by making bad decisions over the years that have built up into this. I wonder if TimeWarner will eventually be bought by someone like Viacom or Apple in the end or not.

19. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

They need to realize that making another Tom and Jerry film isn't ''playing safe'' anymore. Shopkeepers immediately throw those new Tom and Jerry DVDs in the bargain bins.