1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any chance of the Timmverse DCAU being revived like Young Justice?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by CyberCubed, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

As much as I enjoyed watching B:TAS, S:TAS, and JL/JLU, I rather that the BATMAN: THE BRAVE & THE BOLD were revived for for another 26 episodes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges. Frank Welker, immensely talented as he is, is a voice actor, not a writer or producer. There are many talented voice artists now in the American animation industry. We survived the loss of Mel Blanc, Daws Butler, and recently June Foray; Welker will be missed terribly when he retires or passes on, but the impact is not comparable to the loss of Dwayne McDuffie.

3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Welker is different than all those others. Welker's major talent isn't the cartoon voices he does on Scooby Doo and the like. It's the fact that he does all of the various animal noises in every single live action project, often uncreditted. The amount of different animal sounds he can do is unparalleled, and he can make it sound like several animals are making sounds at once just due to him modulating his voice. There is literally no one else alive who can do what he does, so he's irreplaceable. There is an old saying in Hollywood that the film industry practically shuts down for a week whenever Frank Welker gets sick. McDuffie's loss made all action cartoons worse. Welker's eventual death is going to make ALL live-action TV shows and movies worse. McDuffie's death effected a specific genre. Welker's death will effect EVERYTHING.

I'm betting Welker never retires. He knows exactly how important he is to the film industry, and is probably resigned to having to do this for the rest of his life, or at least until another person as great as he is at it comes along. But I sincerely doubt we'll see that person within our lifetimes, much less Frank's.

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

^^Dee Bradley Baker comes to mind. Jason J Lewis on Justice League Action has shown a great deal of versatility in his voices.

Yeah, they talked about adapting Nightfall. I never expected there was interest in him. Previously, I knew they toyed with two spinoffs that didn't get too far: one starring Robin and one starring Catwoman. Late 90s, I thought at that time Timm could have cared less about Nightwing - talked about it on page 70 on that Modern Masters book. Plus, they were toying with introducing the Justice League on S:TAS with that '90'sish' roster but Kahn and others in power didn't think that was what audiences wanted so it was put on the back burner and they pretty much shifted into Batman Beyond.

5. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

The solution is right in front of you. Welker could simply be replaced by several voice-actors. There are plenty of voice-actors who can imitate a bunch of animal voices. Together they can do just as much, if not more than Welker.

6. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

While Frank Welker is immensely talented, there are other actors much younger than him that can make animal and creature sounds like Dee Bradley Baker, Fred Tatasciore, and Eric Bauza (voicing Dino and Hoppy, in addition to human baby Bamm Bamm in the 2015 Flintstones movie). Any one of them can be worthy successors.

Back to this topic, it would probably be hard for the old crew to just pick up where the DCAU left off considering they built up a roughly 15 year continuity. Plus, with Alan Burnett's retirement, Dwayne McDuffie's death, and who knows what happened with Michael Reaves and Glen Murakami, it would be very different if it were revived.

7. iammattie

iammattie Member

Slightly related:

It's been confirmed Dini's current run of backstories in Harley Quinn Rebirth are being spun into their own ongoing series with "Harley Loves Joker" #1 coming soon (Dini's Twitter hints at next year). The art is in DCAU style and so far hasn't contradicted canon.

With both this comic and the film I'm curious if they're testing waters for a revival.

8. Otaku-sempai

#48 Otaku-sempai, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been pondering it more and I guess aside from JLU Beyond, the only other bit I wanted to see since JLU ended (which the Loren Lester interview reminded me of last night), were the segments in the late Hilary Bader's Lost Years mini that weren't adapted on TNBA -- namely Grayson's travels aboard. I think that could work as a digital mini-series like they did with Gods and Monsters or the CW canon. Add in a bit more masters he studied under if there's not enough content; great way to expand the on the character and expand on the mythology of the world at the same time in the same way The Zeta Project was 'on the road' and explored a bug chunk of Beyond-era DCAU.

Yeah, Murakami is hard to keep track of because he doesn't maintain a web presence on things like social media and he doesn't stick to just work at WBA. But there's only so many studios in Burbank, it's a matter of time before he pops up again, imo. But yes, in the wider spectrum of just the crew, it'll hard to recreate the old magic and getting the gang back together again -- nothing against those who came around after and are excelling. Plus, Tucker is overseeing the different DTVs and Romano retired. Timm tends to get credit for what was more of a dream team churning out these celebrated series than just a Michael Jordan winning the championship. As much as you don't want to say it's certain people that matter that have to be on the production team... sometimes it does. I don't know. I'm rambling.

10. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Reaves is semi-retired due to his battle with Parkinson's (his most recent works were The Last Jedi and The Silver Dream) and he hasn't posted anything on his blog in four years and Murakami hasn't been involved in a major project since the cancellation of Beware the Batman.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

11. Otaku-sempai

Apparently Glen Murakami is an executive producer for a made-for-television movie titled Yellow that is presently in post-production.

12. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Actually, Glen Murakami's most recent project was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles special "Half Shell Heroes: Blast From The Past", but your point still stands

13. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Joker's Henchman

I'd love to see the DCAU brought back. It would likely be on the new streaming service, which would give Timm a lot of freedom. I remember quite a few times that ideas had to be scrapped because of the censors. I'd love to see the DCAU version of the Titans, the later Batfamily stories, or the Justice League Beyond.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Heeroyuy_Batman

Besides what I already posted, I would love to see either a series of Nightwing DTVs or even a limited series. A Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes DTV could be interesting as well, if done right. I'd also love to see something that establishes Superman: Brainiac Attacks, Legion of Super Heroes, and Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths as being part of the DCAU multiverse and a DTV crossover with Batman: The Brave and the Bold too.

15. Otaku-sempai

Well, we know that there is some version of the Legion of Super Heroes in the future of the DCAU; it just doesn't seem to be quite the same one that we saw in its own series.

16. Heeroyuy_Batman

Yes, I know. That's why I listed the Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes dtv I want separate from the multiversal dtv with the connection to the LOSH series.

17. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Even Timm confirmed that it was more of a coincidence between the Supergirl/Legion-centric episode in JLU and the LOSH TV show.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if the 1-2 episode Nocturna pitch from the days of B:TAS/AoB&R has enough story to be expanded into a DTV.

Rather than revisit a past series, I wonder if Mr. Timm is equally interested in revisiting the continuity with a new series instead like the little known about Birds of Prey idea they had around the time of TNBA (not to mistaken for the Catwoman vs. Black Canary B:TAS they tossed in a hot second or the pre-cursor idea to "Double Date" with Barbara forming a team).

19. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it would be cool if they did an anthology type series, with each episode showing different characters from different points in the DCAU. (I think I remember JLU was originally going to be an anthology series before they started going with a more serialized approach) This way there wouldn't necessarily be too much continuity from one episode to another, but each one could fit in nicely with the older shows.

For example, episodes set in the B:TAS continuity (the aforementioned unproduced episodes), episodes with Superman set prior to the start of JLU (how he's trying to regain people's trust after Darkseid's invasion), a Martian Manhunter story (during JLU, after he quit and until we saw him again in China during the series finale). I think there are enough possibilities for episodes like this, but it probably won't happen.

• Creative Creative x 1