1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any chance of the Timmverse DCAU being revived like Young Justice?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by CyberCubed, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

CyberCubed might have stated that somewhere, but this was his statement that I was referring to:

2. Dallas Kinard

Dallas Kinard Active Member

With the release of Static Shock on dvd recently, Phantasm on Blu Ray getting HUGE amounts of praise and buzz, DC collectible BTAS and STAS toys, the new Batman & Harley Quinn movie coming up and with Andrea Romano recently saying "use your social media" in response to this question (Susan Eisenburg also said if Young Justice can do it, Justice League can) at the Denver Comic Con with the Justice League cast reunion, I believe, it sounds like things may be brewing for a revival. Of course, it's just wishful thinking, but that is quite a bit stacked up in a short amount of time. In a recent interview JTS Entertainment did with Susan Eisenburg, she said a "big announcement" would be coming. Who knows what that could be.

3. A Brisk Autumn Day

Personally, as many others have said, I'd rather we just get one-off movies, and I hope we get a few more after Batman and Harley Quinn. I wouldn't mind one every few years just to keep it alive.
    The only actual series I can see myself really wanting would be a Justice League Beyond show, but I can't see them ever doing that for several reasons. It would be neat, though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Here's something: A JLU / DCAU relaunch is the thing that would get me to subscribe to DC's upcoming Digital streaming service. Titans and Young Justice alone won't get me to pull the trigger. A JLU relaunch would.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. iammattie

iammattie Member

God, could you imagine the amount of character creation they'd have to do for the show? I'd love to see it but wow that'd be a task. They could easily flesh out Warhawk and Aquagirl via their lineage, but micron and Kai-Ro would be tasks. As well as the rogue gallerys. I guess technically they could pull in some regular GL rogues we didn't see before. As much as I'd love to see this it'd be a pretty tall order. It would be nice to see some adaptations of the JLB comics though so long as the show wouldn't lean too heavily on them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Could it be? Sure. Anything could be rebooted these days.

Should it be? No. The DCAU had it's time in the sun, it's true nothing since then has really left the same mark as the DCAU, not for lack of trying mind you. Simply bringing back the DCAU isn't going to do anything that JL or JLU didn't do all those years ago.

Justice League Action all but copies the DCAU, and while good in it's own right doesn't hold a candle to what the DCAU did, and I think it's time to stop trying to live in that shadow.

7. Heeroyuy_Batman

A series of Batman Beyond dtvs and JLU dtvs featuring Green Arrow, Black Canary, Huntress, and The Question would be cool. A

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

More Batman Beyond movies would definitely be nice. They could use it to flesh out the Justice League Beyond cast too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. A Brisk Autumn Day

Not only that, but I can't see them doing it just because it's such a risk. It would really only appeal the most to hardcore DCAU fans. And since it's not the 90's anymore, the whole futuristic thing isn't really trendy. x_x I can dream, though. xD

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Food for thought, when the DC Universe line first started -- the executives were against them doing any Timmverse/DCAU movies because they wanted to build the DTV brand on its own accords. They tried to do the Worlds Collide DTV but had to make it into a standalone Crisis on Two Earths. Now, about 10 years later, progress. A movie with at least the look of the Timmverse/DCAU and Timm saying he considers it canon. It seems like they're a lot more amicable to revisiting past continuities now. But I reckon sales will always matter and they'll be watching how sales for Batman and Harley Quinn do. But they want to keep Timm around, too. Who knows if he's got some standing contract or is more of a free agent doing ad hoc x movie deals every year or two years. And if he really wanted to do Beyond again... hmm.

Plus, I'm sure Timm (and probably everyone working at WBA) is eyeing the DC Digital Service and/or have done pitches already but it's again dependent on subscriptions and how well the two shows do.

The latest TMNT show hasn't done a time skip yet? :p

11. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I just think it's weird there's been all these big revivals lately, such as Star Wars (nobody expected new movies set after Episode 6 with the original cast for 20 years), Dragonball (nobody expected a new Dragonball series 18 years later after GT ended in 1997), Young Justice (I never in a million years thought a Season 3 would actually happen), Ninja Turtles (two...and soon three cartoon reboots as well as a comic reboot by IDW), Star Trek (new series of Star Trek movie reboots), Power Rangers (new movie), Teen Titans Go, Power Puff Girls, hell you can even consider Pokemon with each new saga, etc.

It's like every big franchise has has a relaunch of some older series that ended years or decades ago. I'm not sure why, when did this whole reboot frenzy start? I think it was somewhere around the mid 2010's everyone got nostalgic.

12. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

DC constantly gets rebooted. If you bother to put PPG and TTG in your list, then Beware the Batman should be in your list as well.

It certainly didn't start in the mid 2010's. We had lots of Scooby Doo, Transformers, Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry reboots/revivals/whatever in the 90s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. iammattie

iammattie Member

I don't know. Batman Beyond books seem to be selling well enough for DC to keep it ongoing. I don't think it being futuristic would make it a large risk. We've got Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Static all confirmed as active leaguers so I think it would be easy enough to promote since those are all well known characters. I could see it as a multiple DTV series, or perhaps exclusive to DC'a new streaming service.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

And don't forget about Star Trek: Discovery, since you brought up the subject.

15. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

You know, even the comic tie-ins to the cartoons never felt the same to me as the cartoons themselves. I don't know if it's simply a matter of being different media, or different creators, or maybe my overall indifference toward tie-ins from other sources, but canon to me felt constrained to what you actually see on the TV screen. Furthermore, if we're talking about the same Batman Beyond comic books from a few years ago (I haven't paid close attention to comics for 15 or so months), the disconnect never felt bigger than they did with those books. These continuations feel more like diluting a solution than anything else: the volume may be increasing, but not the actual part that makes the meaningful impact in the first place.

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Dragon Ball Super still wouldn't be a revival exactly. Sure, people didn't expect a new Dragon Ball series after GT, but that doesn't change that Super is set within the same continuity of the previous series. It just takes place before the end of DBZ from what I understand, although I don't know if it has erased GT from the anime's continuity or not at this point.

TMNT really shouldn't be a surprise when it comes to a revival though. We already had the 2k3 series and technically two movie reboots, even though I'm not sure if the CGI movie was supposed to be a continuation of the first three live action movies. Not to mention it's a popular and successful brand when it comes to toys. Star Trek shouldn't be a surprise either when there have been different TV series. I don't know if any of those were considered revivals or just placed within the series' timeline, but the idea of a Star Trek movie reboot wouldn't sound that strange just because of all the new content that comes out. Power Rangers also makes sense given that it's a popular series from the 90's, so it would have nostalgic appeal.

Claiming that Pokemon is revived with each new saga is a really huge and inaccurate stretch. Each series is basically stand alone, but that doesn't change that they're set within the same universe and they come off one after another. At least with some of the other series you mentioned, there is some distance between the series and/or they're set in a new continuity altogether, but that isn't the case with Pokemon.

Revivals of older properties has definitely been around longer than the 2010's. We got shows like A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry Kids and Flintstones Kids during the 90's. It might be more common now due to the nostalgia factor that 90's shows have or that there's a larger demographic now of people interested in revivals than there was in the past. In any case, I don't think it's that surprising that they haven't gone for a DCAU revival exactly. They've been more interested in making new series featuring characters like Batman and Superman in their own continuities instead of bringing back the DCAU properly. As cool as it would be to see them cover events from that universe, I can see the appeal of starting fresh. People can just jump right into the show without having to learn about events from various different series that aired years ago. It still would be neat to get some movies set in the DCAU, but I can see why that did't happen earlier either when they seemed more interested in making the direct to DVD movies more stand alone as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. iammattie

iammattie Member

I see what you're saying, and to be clear, I meant nothing one way or the other about the books quality. I'm gonna assume what you're referring to is Higgins' work on 2.0 which tried to marry Beechen's run on the book to the DCAU. I understand the distaste but I personally loved them. That's neither here nor there though.

I was more or less talking about the fact that in the last few years we've had multiple ongoing Beyond stories starting with Beechen's run and on to the current Rebirth title. DC has made it clear that the Beyond future is here to stay as a staple of the DCU, and I can only imagine the reason they've been renewing the title has a lot to due with sales numbers/popularity. Which leads to my belief that a continuation of Beyond (be it JLB or otherwise) wouldn't be a bad move.

As a side note, I was listening to the Batman Animated Podcast recently and apparently a lot of the stories in the original cartoon tie-in were unused scripts for the show. Can't remember which episode of the podcast it was Stated on though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Unused scripts, huh? Neat to know, thanks.

19. Grenzer

Grenzer This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style

The DCAU has a potential future, but not necessarily as a new animated series. Movies like Batman and Harley Quinn are a good start, and if we got a new one every few years from now on that would do a good job of meeting demand. A more ambitious project that I have thought of are miniseries: 5 to 8 half-hour episodes covering a certain story arc or group from the DC library adapted to the DCAU.

Loren Lester mentioned in recent interviews they wanted to do a Nightwing spin-off back in the late 90's (did that get repackaged as Batman Beyond?). A mini-series could cover that, and cover some other characters we have yet to see in the DCAU. I think Green Arrow would be a good candidate for that as well, it felt like that version of Ollie had a lot more stories to tell.

Mostly I want to avoid burnout from Timm and the other creative staff. I just don't think they could sustain the schedule for the continuous production cycle for a 26-episode season at this point, The Killing Joke took a lot out of them. If Dwayne McDuffie was still around I would say let him handle it, but if Dwayne was still with us a relaunch might have already happened. He was a monumentally productive fellow, and I feel his death seriously harmed the production of American action cartoons at a time there was already a major shift going on in the industry.

Really, as a number of other people on this thread stated, it comes down to how well the new movie does when it launches in two weeks. If it performs anywhere near as well as the buzz surrounding it suggests, then some sort of revisiting of the DCAU would be almost inevitable at that point.

20. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Wow, I just realized you are right. Dwayne's death hit me pretty hard, but the entire action cartoon industry was made a million times worse for it. I love Dwayne's stuff, but I think the action toon industry shot itself in the foot by leaning so heavily on his talents. There was literally no-one to take his place or who could do the things with action cartoon stories that he did. And the industry is much worse for not having groomed a successor while Dwayne was still alive.

Similarly, I hope Hollywood has better safety guards in place for when Frank Welker dies. Because if they DON'T have a legit Plan B, we are all pretty much screwed.