1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any chance of the Timmverse DCAU being revived like Young Justice?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by CyberCubed, Jul 31, 2017.

1. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

What are the chances DC's online streaming service revives the Timmverse DCAU which ended back in 2006 when JLU ended?

Bruce Timm, Kevin Conroy, Mark Hammil, George Newman, Tim Daly, Clancy Brown etc. all still voice act for DC shows regularly and often together, and the show would be perfect for an online service where it's not bogged down by TV censors.

It could take place after the end of JLU and just be further stories with the DCAU Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman etc doing whatever they want. Do you think DC should revive it?

2. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

I doubt it.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm content with Destroyer as the end of the DCAU. I would have liked to see spinoffs of solo heroes and such but I think the time for that may have passed at this point. Maybe a revisit can still work though. It will be interesting to see how continuations like Young Justice or the Hey Arnold and Rocko movies work out.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I think that the only chance of more Timmverse is with one-offs like Batman and Harley Quinn or another web-series.

5. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I don't think so. Bruce Timm mentions that he believes "Batman And Harley Quinn" is in the DCAU, but leaves it up to fan interpretation as to whether it's in it or not. If he can't give a definitive timeline, or even a tough timeline, if the DCAU were revived, it would probably contradict a lot of stuff set up. Besides, as mentioned, Destroyer wrapped things up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Aside from doing more of these one-off movies or shorts like that Batman Beyond one, I don't know what would pique Timm's interest. But he said if would be interested in doing JLU movies at SDCC I believe. I was always interesting in them revisiting the JLU Beyond or adding to the gap between the present era and the Beyond era.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

It certainly feels like there are attempts to resurrect it. We have an upcoming movie, and a couple years ago DC Comics tried to revisit the timeline through quasi-companion arcs.

I mentioned in the Batman and Harley Quinn thread that I prefer that any sort of add-on to the DCAU works best for me if it captures the feel of the old continuity without specifically placing itself into some place in the timeline. I liked the finite structure of the DCAU, and because the early episodes often felt more like a collection of themed episodes instead of a cohesive storyline, I never was married to the idea of having a true chronology. Things like Mask of the Phantasm I prefer to being separate from JLU, and to some degree, even separate from much of BTAS. Likewise, you could feel the stress of continuity in late episodes when retcons like Terry's origin came into play. Also, those recent comic books I mentioned earlier did absolutely nothing for me. I thought that getting more granular into the details that were implied instead of directly spelled out, such as specs of Bruce and Barbara's relationship, the Justice Lords, etc., just created a lot of elements that didn't mesh all that well. It didn't feel like a continuation, but rather some other person's reimagination, which it quite literally was. So, my head canon pretty much rejects those stories.

I guess if they brought back the DCAU, I think I'd only be open to it if much of the same staff were brought on board, but I'd rather that they let it go.

8. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

If it were up to me I'd do a Static Shock revival for the following reasons;

Reveal where Virgil was during the Thanagar Invasion
    Explain why he never joined the Justice League in Unlimited
    Give the Titans crossover so we can finally see them in this universe.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know if I could see them reviving it as a series, but maybe they could for movies or shorts. I thought that the Batman and Harley Quinn movie was set somewhere in the DCAU based on the designs, so they could probably do something like that for future movies. As interesting as it would be for them to fill in more of the gap between JLU and Batman Beyond in a series, that might make the timeline more confusing too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. iammattie

iammattie Member

There's definitely a lot of good story potential left in the universe, and I've been enjoying the small returns we've been getting to it in recent projects like Darwyn Cooke's Batman Beyond, Batman/TMNT Adventures, Batman Beyond 2.0, Dini's current run in Harley Quinn Rebirth, and hopefully the upcoming Batman nod Harley Quinn. However, during the B&HQ panel at SDCC Timm stated he didn't do much continuity checking with the established universe, and that alone is a big red flag if there was ever going to be a full return animated series. I'm okay with them popping back into the world every now and then, but unless a return series is to focus on the far ends that aren't as continuity heavy (Jonah Hex/Legion of Super Heroes) I think by this time its best left to fan projects that will dig through everything to keep continuity.

11. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

I'm going to treat Batman and Harley Quinn as a standalone movie in the DCAU, And hope that we get some movies set in the DCAU the next few years.

12. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I prefer standalone shows. I like DCAU and all that, but I don't like to be forced to watch another series like with Arrow, The Flash etc.

13. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

I would love to see a return in some capacity. There are plenty of avenues WB/DC could go down (DTV's, ongoing comics/a few miniseries, the new DC streaming service).

However, I wonder if the audience for such a thing would be niche these days? I guess we'll see how well the Batman and Harley Quinn stuff sells.

I'd love something set in the world of Batman Beyond. Surely there is a story to be told somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

B:TAS is still the most popular animated version of Batman to this day and everyone even all the DC execs know this. That's why it has new toylines years after it ended, crossovers with Nick's TMNT in comics, constant nods, why Kevin Conroy and Mark Hammil are still brought back to this day to voice Batman and Joker, etc.

Given all the recent revivals lately with Star Wars, Dragonball, Young Justice, X-files, all those sitcoms, etc...it's bizarre we never had a real DCAU revival. Bringing back old shows from the dead is the new thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Red Arrow :D

They have brought back Batman several times already. The Batman, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Beware the Batman.

16. Otaku-sempai

Yes, but these are new incarnations. CyberCubed was referring to reviving the DCAU continuity; not the same thing.

17. Red Arrow :D

So Dragonball Super is not a new incarnation?

18. Otaku-sempai

Sure it is, but what does that have to do with The Batman, Batman: The Brave and the Bold or Beware the Batman? I was not addressing the subject of any Dragonball series, and CyberCubed actually pointed it out as a revival (and reboot replacing Dragonball GT).

19. Red Arrow :D

CyberCube said that everything is revived nowadays, but most of those revivals are new incarnations like Dragonball Super (I think), Star Wars: Rebels, Transformers: Robots in Disguise, The PowerPuff Girls, Ben 10, Teen Titans Go, Sonic Boom, Be Cool Scooby Doo, New Looney Tunes, Astroboy reboot, Mickey Mouse, DuckTales, The Batman, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Beware the Batman etc.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I believe that Dragon Ball Super isn't a new incarnation exactly. It's a continuation of the original series set before the ending of DBZ, at least based on what I've heard and seen of it. It's different from the various Batman series since those are set within their own continuities instead of being a continuation of a previous series.