1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a name for the opposite of a Mary Sue?

Discussion in 'Story Board Workshops' started by Kryten, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Kryten

Kryten I've been Pony'd

I'm talking about characters whose sole purpose seems to be getting crapped on... your Kennys, your Meg Griffins, your Wandas. Is there an official name for these kinda of characters? And if not... should we invent one?

2. Wussycat

Wussycat Active Member

Anti-Mary Sue or Anti-Sue.

#2 Wussycat, Jun 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2006
  3. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

Fall Guy/ Gal.

4. Crash

Crash Active Member

Personally, I just call them Yamchas.

...I've also used the term 'Straw Man,' but that's more for when a character is always wrong, and I'm not ever sure if that's a correct application of the term...

5. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

> ...I've also used the term 'Straw Man,' but that's more for when a character is always wrong, and I'm not ever sure if that's a correct application of the term... <

Here's Wikapedia's take:

"..."straw man" describes a point of view that was created in order to be easily defeated in argument; the creator of a "straw man" argument does not accurately reflect the best arguments of his or her opponents, but instead sidesteps or mischaracterizes them so as to make the opposing view appear weak or ridiculous. An example of this is when person A says "I don't think children should run into the busy streets". Person B will say "I think that it would be foolish to lock up children all day with no fresh air". This insinuates that person A's argument is far more draconian than it is...
    Its name is derived from the use of straw men in combat training."

6. judyindisguise

judyindisguise Active Member

As for Wanda, thanks to "Fairy Idol", she's not quite the doormat she used to be. She still needs to deal forcefully with her jerky husband, (and by "forcefully", I don't mean violence, I mean an episode wherein she leaves the idiot) although I doubt that will happen thanks to FOP's cancellation, but at least and FINALLY it's apparently become clear to the producers of FOP that her constant victimization failed to amuse and at least some steps were taken in FI to correct that. Which is more than what will likely happen to Meg Griffin (but then, unlike Wanda, she's just a talking prop, not a real character with a likeable personality, and as for Kenny, his recurrent deaths are actually funny - although the "South Park" team seems to have cut back on them, perhaps aware that that particular gag has run its course).

Let's see, though, a name for the opposite of a "Mary Sue"...I've just asked my grandpa, who's here for a visit, and he said there's an old expression for someone who's a loser - a "Sad Sack". For a girl loser he suggests "Dumb Dora". Take your pick! :D

7. Dee

Dee What?

Since this is more of a general writing thing, Im moving it to the Story area.