Is Nickelodeon Overhated?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Jinbo71, Feb 20, 2014.

?

Does Nickelodeon Deserve the Hate it gets?

1. No

46.7%
  2. Yes

53.3%
  1. Jinbo71

Jinbo71 New Member

After reading all the hate of new Nickelodeon shows like Sanjay and Craig and Breadwinners on IMDB, TV.com, and facebook, all I can do are two things; face palm and die a little inside. I believe this hate for new Nickelodeon is so overblown and undeserved, but these people are so stupid and they won't listen to reason.

In fact, the reason I joined this website is to converse with people who DON'T blindly hate on new Nick shows.

Of course, Nick isn't perfect, and not even the above shows I feel are THAT good, but that is absolutely no excuse to go around and act like a psychopathic toddler.

Does anyone else agree that Nick gets too much hate?

2. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Nickelodeon basically runs itself on 4 or 5 shows, most of them spongebob. You have FOP, which even the fans hate by now, Spongebob, which most people are indifferent about, and Grossout shows like S&C and now breadwinners.

Current Nickelodeon is Mid 2000's cartoon network with such "memorable hits" as CN Real, Gym Partner, and Squirrel boy. SO many people love and remember those shows!

On a lighter note, I think it'll get better eventually. No one thought CN would climb out of the hole it dug.

3. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    With the way they overrun trash like Spongebob and FOP, and all of their tweencoms, as well as aim for the lowest common denominator with their new animated shows as fo late, I can't help but feel that hatred is justified. Too bad living in the past solves nothing at the end of the day. which is something these haters need to learn sooner than later - FACT. Either that, or keep the TV off like I do when nothing's on, but try not to complain so much - it's really getting old seeing another Nickelodeon rant - especially when I'd hate to see how the people doing these rants would run this and any other channel they hate - and ultimately NOT do a good job with it, either, due to living in the past instead of giving Americans who want to get into a business and give us something new/different, or simply just a job,which many of us seem to lack, due to how poorly run America is today.... But now I'm ranting.

I've just outgrown Nickelodeon - heck I did that a long time ago. This ain't new to me. Just sad!

4. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

Let me say this as someone who watched Nickelodeon since I was 6. This channel does have problems, it always had. Nick has relied on one hit show, or a hit showrunner or company, and pretty much run it to the ground, whether it be Spongebob, Rugrats, Butch Hartman, or Klasky-Csupo. And a lot of their shows don't really hold up well. I can't get into Rocket Power or Wild Thornberries anymore, while Dexter's Lab or Kim Possible I can still enjoy. But I feel like there was a huge gaping hole that was in Nick for a while in their animation department. A lot of their cartoons lacked originality. Either they were copying that Spongebob magic, a Dreamworks show, or a spinoff/remake of some kind.

But despite that, I do believe there's some good in the channel overall. I do like Spongebob, I love TMNT 2012, I enjoy Legend of Korra, and even the shows that are on I don't hate, just find them to be just there. Sanjay and Craig is fine when it doesn't rely on crude humor, I enjoyed the Breadwinners pilot (though mainly for its animation than anything else.), the Dreamworks shows were good as well, and even their tweencoms aren't awful. Granted I only watch them when I'm babysitting, but they aren't the trainwrecks everyone keeps claiming they are. So while I do see where people are coming from, I don't really think Nickelodeon is that bad.

And also, the thing about people hating on Nick, it's always going to happen, whether it be from animation enthusiasts who want something special, or annoying college kids who want their childhood back, there will be criticisms. In 8 years, people will complain about the shows currently airing, and complain about how Sanjay and Craig or The Haunted Hathaways were the greatest things ever. We all know this to be true.

5. Jinbo71

Jinbo71 New Member

Well, on the bright side, Bad Seeds and Pig Goat Banana Cricket have gotten positive reception so far. And I heard Twang has gotten positive reception, too. Plus, even today, Nick has The Legend of Korra and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which have respectable adult fanbases.

But as for CN, there's still people complaining about Uncle Grandpa and Teen Titans Go!

6. Tbridge44

Tbridge44 New Member

A) As a debater, let me just say something about the text that I bolded in your quote. Calling someone stupid because they don't share the same opinion of you doesn't help bolster your opinion, and actually takes away from your validity. Just because they don't share your opinion, and have different criteria for examining a show, doesn't mean they're wrong. And it doesn't give you the need to *facepalm*.

I think a lot of the hate Nickelodeon gets is deserved, because there are substantial issues with the channel (Sanjay and Craig however, is not one of those issues. It's not a "great" show imo, but it is something that's nice to watch when I can catch it). People aren't blindly hating on Nickelodeon, they're being critical, and their critiques are subjective. Just cause they don't "get" the humor doesn't mean they're wrong, it just means that the show isn't appealing to them. Nickelodeon oversaturates the channel with reruns of Spongebob, and doesn't really push its good shows as much as it should. There is future for Nick with new programing, but right now they're simply capitalizing on their cruddy shows (SBSP, FOP) and are kinda neglecting shows with demonstrated depth (LoK, SJC).

When I think of Nickelodeon today, I don't see quality and I don't see depth. That's why I can say that there's truth to what the haters are saying.
    At the same time, I'm always looking forward to seeing if Nickelodeon can bring something new to the table. I just feel like their animation is lagging at this time compared to the other two networks when you examine each show individually.

7. Jinbo71

Jinbo71 New Member

But these people bring up the stupidest reasons to hate them.

"Oh, when I was a kid Nickelodeon wuz awesome but now it sux! Blah blah blah."

Also, some of them actually update their reviews and express glee whenever the show's rating goes down. Does that sound like a normal, functional human being to you?

8. Tbridge44

Tbridge44 New Member

They kinda are right...nickelodeon WAS awesome, but so were CN and Disney. Disney basically forgot about animation, while CN and Nick declined. I must agree with you that people need to stop emphasizing the past and look to the animation present/future, but Nick needs to recognize something also: Nick either needs to find a way to emphasize PLOT DRIVEN comedies a la AT & GF, or be able to produce non-stop laugh riots. Nick has done well with action (TMNT/LOK) but comedy is where they're lacking a bit....

Honestly, I'm happy when certain shows do bad, mostly cause it may get network execs to "wake up" and realize they need to change.

9. Jinbo71

Jinbo71 New Member

But they aren't the ones responsible for the shows. The creators are. And they would likely blame the show's poor ratings on something else other than it's quality.

10. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Active Member

Lacking in comedies?? Are we talking about the same network?? Nick is getting PLAGUED with comedies, though if you're talking about QUALITY comedies, I can see what you mean. In my opinion, Nick needs to STOP begging for comedies and let creators make what they wanna make! For a network that gave us Avatar, there's no excuse for them not to pursue stuff similar to it. The success of LOK and TMNT is proof enough that Nick should consider more action shows. Yet they're going to play it safe and simple with comedies about moronic characters. That to me just doesn't make sense.

Back on topic though, despite this messed up fact, I'd watch Nickelodeon any day over CN or Disney Channel. It's by no means overrated, but it IS slipping with excessive 'dumb' comedies.

11. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Ultimately, does it really matter what some cranky adults on the internet think of a kids' cable channel? I mean, these people are entitled to their opinions, but when it comes down to it, Nickelodeon's programs aren't intended for them. It's the equivalent of "Cartoons were better in my day!" grumpy old person ranting. Nick's executive staff only cares if kids are watching their shows.

Myself, I don't watch anything on Nick presently except for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Monsters VS Aliens and Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness. I saw a couple episodes of Sanjay & Craig, I was neither amused nor impressed by it, so I never watched it again. I only had to watch the pilot of Breadwinners to see that it wasn't for me. But I'm way past Nick's target age demographic. The general feeling of Nick's executives is that if you're over 14, then you're considered by be Nick at Nite's audience, not theirs. But here's the thing: even the 1990s Nickelodeon had it's share of gems and duds. Adults tend to look at the past through rose colored nostalgia glasses and remember the past being better than it actually was. Sure, there were some great shows that came from 90s Nick, but there were some stinkers from that era also. The shows currently airing on Nick aren't all that great, but kids seem to be watching them, and I will say that Cartoon Network and Disney Channel aren't doing much better than Nick is at this stage, but of course that could change.

12. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

The short answer is: haters gonna hate, especially when it comes to nostalgia.

Several adults on the internet are naturally going to hate the newer shows on any network, simply because what's on there now isn't what they grew up watching. What these folks fail to realize (and what nostalgia blinds people to) is that the so-called "good ol' days" of Nick weren't perfect either (for every Rugrats or Pete & Pete, there was a Super Duper Sumos and My Brother and Me) and that they're not Nick's target audience anymore: kids are. I'm personally not into the likes of Sanjay and Craig, Breadwinners, Rabbids Invasion, FOP or the live-action tweencoms, but those shows aren't tailored for me. On the other hand, TMNT and the Dreamworks shows are pretty good (though I like Monsters VS Aliens a tad more than KFP: Legends of Awesomeness), and Legend of Korra has its' loyal fans, though it's not my cup of tea personally, but that's just my tastes.

Do I think Nick is perfect? No, but what network is? Do I think there's room for improvement? Sure, but that doesn't mean that everything on Nick right now is garbage, it just means that what's on there now isn't for everybody. I'd like to see more diverse shows that appeal to wider and broader range of viewers, but I could say the same thing about Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and to a lesser extent the Hub. That's an issue regarding how segmented and segregated today's kids' networks have become (due largely to the advertisers who run their spots on said networks), not solely an issue with Nick.

13. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

Well, I wouldn't say Nick isn't bad right now, but it isn't perfect either. I personally find the shows currently on the network pretty decent and fairly written: TMNT, The Legend of Korra, Sanjay & Craig (aside from the toilet humor), T.U.F.F. Puppy, The Haunted Hathaways, Sam & Cat and recently Breadwinners beg to differ. The former two already have cult followings and the last latter is already a hit.

The reason why Nick is hated among fans now is because they "want our old Nick back!" yet they refused to take a look at some of the current shows and just slam it as "not as good as 90s Nick". To the nostalgia fans out there, Nick doesn't aim at you, it aims at children aged 2 to 17. Nick isn't going to switch off a new episode of Sanjay & Craig for a 20-year-old rerun of Rocko's Modern Life. That just wouldn't be business. Nick always find a new generation year after year. Circle of life.

Every era of Nick isn't perfect. Just because Nick was golden during the old times, doesn't mean you don't have all the shows. I never got into Rocket Power and Doug as a little kid, but that's just me. Every era had a good AND bad slate of shows. But I gotta admit, Nick was in its danger years from 2008 to late 2011, where it would cancel every show that won't pull in ratings and replaced it with SpongeBob. Look at Nick now. If this was 2010, it would cancel Rabbids Invasion and Monsters vs. Aliens awhile ago after a mere 6 episodes and not showing the rest of the episodes, yet it kept them on the air despite low ratings, allowing them to grow from viewers.

I say good riddance to the "old-school" fans, because right now, Nick is in a better position (with better quality shows, decent scheduling, giving other shows whose not named SB plenty of chances, etc.) than it was the last few years ago.

14. Tbridge44

Tbridge44 New Member

Yes, I was saying that while their action shows have demonstrated quality (with Legend of Korra being in what is essentially a league of its own, and TMNT being as engaging as Ben 10)
    Their comedies have been lacking in demonstrated depth, and just basically lack quality.

The verdicts already out on Breadwinners, how is it a hit already? Can you lead me into the direction of a review or anything, cause all I see is an LA Times article, and general negative-mixed opinions from online forums. I wonder how it'll hold up in later episodes, and I wonder if there's more to their world than we've seen.

15. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

TMNT is in a whole other dimension of greatness than Ben 10 and TLK is a mess.

16. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Feel Happy!

Whoops, pardon me. I meant Sam & Cat, not Breadwinners.

17. Tbridge44

Tbridge44 New Member

Ah okay, Of course we all new SaC would be successful with its target audience, if not an even larger one (though I still prefer Victorious)!

18. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Active Member

I thoroughly appreciate these three posts because it's balanced - stating Nick has made some bad decisions in the past, are in the process of fixing them, and isn't as bad NOW as it was during it's worst years 2008-2011 as far as its programming and handles on the network.

I agree, nostalgic fanboys will always ridicule the new shows harshly and compare them to Nick's "golden era", yet fail to realize Nick could care less if 20 and 30 years olds like their programming. What they do care about it their network appealing to their target audiences and the downward spiral that began in 2008 (more so with animation than live action) basically drove the network to the ground. But from January 2013 to now, Nick IS back up their in the ratings and demos with their new programs. And majority of their shows have posted huge gains year-to-year in their time slots in overall ratings and demos. Nick has GREATLY improved it's scheduling, premieres, advertising, promotions, bumpers and brand as well. All of these things are FACTS. This is what Nick cares about and what they have and what they are DOING is drawing KIDS back to the network. So regardless of what opinions people have, the network is as healthy as it's been with WHO it's targeting in years and they've done that with their new batch of shows LoK/TMNT/SJC/RI/SaC/THH/TTM along with SBSP/FOP. Now, is Nick overdoing SBSP - yes. But has it lessened in 2014 - yes. And that's fact. Look at schedules from last year to this year.

Now, as far as the subjective opinions people have. I will say, haters WILL hate. And I find it funny that adults (again) will criticize Nick's animation for being moronic and idiotic, with too much gross out humor when Nick in the 90s was defined by SOME shows like Ahh! Real Monsters, Rocko's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy - all of which relied on gross out humor - and the latter two were extremely inappropriate for kids with the violence, crude and gross out humor and on top of that, sexual innuendos and adult themes. TBH, the reason why I LOVE Sanjay and Craig is it reminds me of Rocko's Modern Life - my favorite 90s Nicktoon. Now, we don't have the wholesome, character driven gems like Doug, Rugrats and Hey Arnold - and Nick could really benefit from having at least one. But, Nick also has TMNT/LoK, which are the top two action cartoons on air right now - HANDS DOWN.

And on top of that, who's to say Nick won't build on what they've already improved on. This is really the first year Nick has had a full lineup of live action/animation since 2012. And there's a lot more upcoming. In the mean time, I'm thankful that the network has improved period. Let's look at this:

2011: Spongebob, Fairly Oddparents, Back at the Barnyard, Mighty B, Planet Sheen, Fanboy and Chum Chum, TUFF Puppy, Kung Fu Panda, Penguins of Madagascar, iCarly, Victorious, Big Time Rush, Fred: The Show, You Gotta See This, Supah Ninjas, House of Anubis Buckett and Skinner's Epic Adventures.

I didn't bold/underline shows I felt weren't horrible (although I suppose SBSP/FOP could be).

But are we really gonna say that Legend of Korra, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Sanjay and Craig are NO improvement over Planet Sheen, Fanboy and Chum Chum and Back at the Barnyard, and The Haunted Hathaways and The Thundermans aren't better than Supah Ninjas, Fred The Show and Bucket and Skinner? Ok, I understand that's my opinion, but come on now. IF ANYTHING, Nick has at least improved slightly. And I would expect the network to continue to get better.

----

FYI - Disney is shipping off it's two best cartoons in Gravity Falls and Wonder over Yonder to Disney XD, basically leaving Phineas and Ferb/Fish Hooks to burn off in their final seasons on the main network, basically making Disney an all-tween girl network with live action comedies, most of which are just as "bad" as Nick's. CN, although on a nice upswing of cartoons, have been criticized probably just as bad as Nick for more important reasons IMO - like adding live action to the network, relying too much on acquisitions, etc. And even though they have some gems like RS/AT, they are getting hit for basically targeting boys AND all of their shows basically tweaks of one another. They have a lot of buddy comedies and "surrealism" and what not as well.

It looks bad in many ways for all three. Just depends how you look at it.

19. Tbridge44

Tbridge44 New Member

(I actually liked Back at the Barnyard hahaha. :D)
    Yup, all networks have their flaws, and basically all of them have mistreated certain shows. So at the end of the day, you can make a case for finding flaws with basically every network. CN/Nick definitely had a long dark age (with CN doing the God-Awful Live Action stuff) and Nick doing things that have already been mentioned enough in this thread. CN has simply found their way out of the tunnel for the most part ( I think TTG is pretty good, it just kinda detracts from how serious the old series was, and it gets too much airtime. Then Uncle Grandpa and Johnny Test are the other issues). Disney has strong animated programming, and just treats it poorly. All networks have their flaws, but Disney & Cartoon Network have already found their hits to build around, while we still need some time to see if Nick has a new flagship in the works (yes, TMNT is good and LoK is good, but there will only be 4 LoK seasons, and SJC is still kinda middling though I think it's perty good). If the new wave of Nickelodeon shows proves anything, they're coming out of the tunnel (and Disney may be going in....)

20. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Active Member

Agreed. I love CN, but their original shows are all on the same wave length. The sad part about CN is although their programming is quality - their ratings are as low as ever, even with solid shows.

For Disney, they've been dropping in their ratings. Like CN, all their live action shows are all interchangeable and their animation is gonna be ripped apart. PaF/FH are ending and WoY/GF (which could've REALLY taken off) are being pushed away to XD. Go figure.

Could be worse for Nick, but it's not.