1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Marvel Cancelling The Fantastic Four?

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by macattack, May 30, 2014.

1. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

This fascinating article's been making the rounds on the Internet.

Apparently both FF comics are going to be cancelled in August, and they are ignoring the Fantastic Four in public and they won't even allow sketch card artists to make portraits of Fantastic Four characters. Apparently this is being done as a deliberate snub to Fox, who continues to own the rights to the characters. Ending Spider-Man and X-Men would be self-defeating as those books are too popular, but neither FF book is selling better than mediocre at the moment. So, the theory goes, they're going to play hardball to try to force Fox to sell the rights back by effectively killing the FF.

There's more evidence leaking out, as pointed in the article itself, that it is indeed the case. If so, the first superhero family may be on the way out until Fox gives the movie rights to them back.

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Apparently Marvel still thinks their physical, traditional comics are more important in this grand scheme than they actually are. It's the movies that will dictate the FF's place in popular culture; the biggest-selling titles from the Big Two don't crack six figures in number of copies sold. But that's okay; I'd hate for them to finally realize this and, as a result, shelve Marvel Comics as we know it.

3. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece Active Member

Seems very ignorant of Marvel to do as this hurts nothing but the readers.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Eh, I'm indifferent. IMO, the FF comics haven't been good since Hickman's run anyways.

5. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

There should be a SAVE THE FANTASTIC FOUR campaign on the internet!

6. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Has Marvel not been paying attention what they're doing regarding the new film, and what people are saying about it (maybe that's the reason WHY they're doing this, but...)? There's no doubt in my mind Marvel/Disney will get their film rights a day to a week after the release of the new film, so "banning" the FF in this regard whether they disagree with the film's direction or because they're simply bitter they don't have the film rights seems pointless.

Although, The Fantastic Four are constantly canceled and relaunched. ANOTHER cancelation was bound to happen.

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, I know the issue over the FF rights is getting a little hectic but this is just sad... Honestly, while I don't regularly read Fantastic Four, it's a shame to have their series get cancelled, put on hiatus, or whatever just because Marvel doesn't have the rights and is trying to sabotage Fox's movie in a way that doesn't really accomplish anything. It's one thing to do this in animation with characters not appearing, but to just cancel books?

I really hope Tom Brevoort's declaration of this just being a rumor turns out to be accurate, because otherwise I think Marvel is making a terrible and dumb decision. Especially when I hear that, despite the sales, James Robinson's current run isn't actually half bad :(.

8. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

9. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

You just hit the nail on the head. Marble's constantly relaunching titles back at #1 for the sake of a few extra quick bucks. This is no different, and not really anything to get upset about. Buckley needs to go.

10. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

11. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

12. hobbyfan

Figures. One angry executive with enough stroke forces the end (for now) of FF, which will turn 55 in 2016. If this isn't enough to convince people that Josh Trank's stupid idea for a film isn't worth investing in, well..........!

13. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I fail to see how this is Trank's fault. From pretty much every angle this stinks of Marvel throwing a hissy fit. Especially since it's not as though comic books are a viable form of advertisement for a movie to begin with, which makes me think even more that this isn't so much a "business decision" as it is someone throwing a temper tantrum. There's no world in which cancelling the FF book somehow hurts anyone other than possibly Marvel.

14. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Sad news - assuming it's not just a publicity stunt to drum up buzz for another eventual relaunch.

15. hobbyfan

Ding! Give the man a gold star. Of course, Marble will relaunch FF. Again. And Again. And Again......

16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Despite being X-related, it feels appropriate to put this here:

Chris Claremont On Why X-Men Writers Aren

X-Men writers aren't allowed to create new characters in the comics because then they'll be owned by Fox. Not to mention there won't be any X-Men merchandise so as to not promote Fox material. Apparently the characters Bendis created in his books accompany the Marvel Now! imprint rather than the X-Men one, which doesn't really make sense to me but whatever :shrug:.

And then this was recently announced:

COMICS: Marvel Tease The End Of The FANTASTIC FOUR And X-MEN

So, it looks like not only are the Fantastic Four going to end, but something notable is going to be happening to the X-Men and Mutants as well. I wouldn't be shocked if we see a marginalizing of a lot of the X-Men teams and books while having them incorporated into the Avengers books so they're part of the Avengers brand. I imagine this is what will happen to the FF as well, since I think Sue is going to be becoming a big part of Hickman's Avengers soon.

I can understand corporate synergy, and wanting to promote the characters you have the film rights to instead of the ones you don't, but I think it's starting to effect the comics too much and doing this to popular franchises like the FF and X-Men, even if the former doesn't sell as well, just seems like a cheap move to me. Say what you will about DC, but I'm at least glad they're not constantly relaunching their books, or letting the movies effect them so much :ack:.

#16 Frontier, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2014
  17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Dang, this feels like some kind of warfare tactics going on. The question is, will it work?

18. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Well, that's the thing. Will it? From the looks of things Marvel's even preparing to kill Deadpool off.

Also, honestly, the comics only make a fraction of what the movies make. However, the movies are succeeding in bringing in new business to the comics too. If an X-Men movie makes kids want to read comics, but they can't find any X-Men to read, they'll gladly read Guardians or Iron Man or whatnot because they liked those movies too, and Marvel knows this.

Another thing is that Fox is a stronger entity than Sony. Marvel and Sony both see the writing on the wall when it comes to Spider-Man. TASM 2, while it didn't bomb, didn't come anywhere close to the total Sony was hoping for, and Sony micro-managed TASM 2 in the hopes that it would be an Avengers-level hit. Now Sony has no idea what they should be doing, and they are well aware that a big reason why people liked the TASM reboot is dead. It's quite possible a negotiation is going on to try to get Spider-Gwen's rights so they can attempt an author's saving throw for TASM 3, or link the TASM-verse to the MCU, or whatever else is going on. Fox, however, has many other hits in their portfolio and they will honestly part with the X-Men once they're taken from their cold dead hands. And Marvel also knows this. So they're scorching the earth to try to put the X-Men into a situation where Fox's returns diminish to the point where there's no money to be made anymore.

19. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

If they kill off Deadpool, they've truly gone cuckoo. And not even that is going to make Fox relax its iron grip.

And Spider-Gwen appearing in ASM3 would be.....truly bizarre.

20. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Killing Deadpool off would be pointless, I agree. Tho Marvel revoked Activision's rights to sell the Deadpool game (what's out there is all you're going to find), so . . .

It would be bizarre, but not impossible. Harry could arrange to have Gwen mad-scientisted back to life with spider powers (and obviously, brainwashing) for psychological warfare on Peter. It's not entirely out of the question.