1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it really likely we'll get a great Marvel show this decade?

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by KombatMaster94, Jun 7, 2017.

1. KombatMaster94

I'm still hoping for the new Spider Man cartoon and Marvel Animation in general. I love Earth's Mightiest Heroes and the shows released around the time, and I really don't wanna give up on Marvel cartoons. On top of that, I think Marvel is still open to outside studios doing animation for their shows with Passion Pictures doing work for their shorts (and I hope more shorts with other studios come out).

We have until D23 Expo to see if anything new gets unveiled, but until then do you think we'll have anything good someday? Or are we at least slowly getting there?

2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I don't know dude. That's up to you to decide for yourself. I can't speak for you in terms of what's good or what's not since I think Marvel Animation is putting out decent stuff lately.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

We won't get a great animated TV series from Marvel again until Loeb and Quesada (and depending on what his true creative vision is, maybe also Wacker) are no longer in charge of Marvel Animation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

They just need to allow more creative freedom and hire more competent writers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. KombatMaster94

I'll respectfully say I'm not sure I wanna agree. Both Loeb and Quesada did work on Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Quesada worked on all of it and Loeb worked on season 2), and only one episode of the whole show I would say was bad (Powerless). Quesada was even involved with the recent Passion Pictures shorts and those were good. I mostly blamed Man of Action for Marvel Animation's recent problems, but that's all I'm gonna say. I'll stay hopeful and patient to the end no matter who says what.

You know, I'm actually a very good writer and one of my career goals is to work for Marvel Animation. My plan's to make my own Marvel Animated Universe (which the current one sort of inspired me to make) and it's supposed to be a darker more mature and sophisticated take on the characters with cues from tons of Marvel media, like the comics, games, previous cartoons, and video games.

I haven't made too many full scripts yet, but I did post written scenes on my Deviantart and I have a ton more ideas written on my computer. Here's the link to those interested: http://robertmisirian.deviantart.com/gallery/58524283/Scripts

• Like Like x 1
  6. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

7. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

For there to be a great Marvel cartoon I think a cartoon needs to be developed away from the MCU's shadow and try to take on a different style of substance.

I think most of the current Marvel batch try a little too much on the story telling from what I can see in most of the current cartoons. I might not be someone who watches a lot of the current Marvel cartoons but I think USM kind of got carried away with the Spiderverse and a lot of episodes that it needed to swing the idea. And the character designs in most of the Marvel cartoons aren't that impressive knowing that they are just to real looking and less cartoony to something like Spectacular Spiderman or A:EMH.

That said I do think that maybe another great one can happen, I do feel excited for the newer cartoon of Spiderman, hopefully it doesn't fall into the same pitraps that the last one did because this one has a better feeling and I do like the character designs as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Quesada didn't play a huge role creatively i the success of A:EMH and he certainly wasn't calling the shots back when A:EMH started. Quesada got promotted to a higher position and Loeb started working on and calling the shots on A;EMH in the 2nd half of season 2. It is the 2nd half of season 2 where that awful synergy driven "Powerless" episode aired and when Loeb started pushing his no long story arc rule. A number of fans (including myself) feel that the series experienced a drop in writing quality with the 2nd half of season 2. For me and a number of other fans, the evidence for the drop in quality clearly points to Quesada and Loeb being put in charge and putting in place their rules and mandates in regards to the types of stories they would be telling.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Agreed.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Avengers: EMH came out this decade, and so did Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm not complaining.

I think this decade is just as good as the previous one, and better than the 80s and 90s* with that horrible animation, boring plots and often even embarrassing moments. Like that Incredible Hulk episode from 1996 where Betty Ross says something like:
    "Bruce has to turn into the Hulk, that's our only chance! We have to make him angry!"
    But she's standing right next to him and he can hear everything.
    "We hate you, Bruce! Why did you ruin our lives? I wish we never met you!"
    [insert endless amount of crying and drama]
    And then Bruce gets angry like he would actually believe what they're saying :sweat:

You don't see such cheesy plots in modern cartoons anymore.

(*in terms of Marvel, of course. 90s DCAU was amazing)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

You're right. Instead we get cheesy,corny,and stupid stuff like the Avengers fighting over Falcon's mothers cookies,the Agents of SMASH having their own online reality TV series,Peter Parker hiding a sick Hulk in his house,SHIELD replacing Peter's damaged house (as well as installing secret defenses in the house) without his neighbors hearing anything,Spidey using a Metro Card to get over a turnstile instead of just jumping over it,and the GOTG loading up their ship with stuff that they didn't need (like the super strong Gamora needing a weight lifting set to keep in shape). And don't get started o how a butterfly is too heavy for the GOTG's spaceship to support.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Marvel is mainstream. All you need to know. Explains everything.

13. AdrenalineRush1996

They already are mainstream. They were mainstream before Disney bought them.

I disagree. The Nineties Marvel animated shows are a lot better than the current ones as in after Earth's Mightiest Heroes IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Yes and no. Marvel may have been mainstream before that to people who read comic books, but it really was the Disney overtake that brought Marvel into the real mainstream spotlight. And by mainstream I mean average people who aren't into superhero stuff. If anything, Disney destroyed Marvel by trying to appeal to an even larger demographic and as a result streamlined and toned down everything.

15. AdrenalineRush1996

Disney didn't ruin Marvel. Also, Marvel has done family friendly stuff WAY BEFORE Disney bought them and not to mention that EMH is not like the current shows since it appealed to both comic book fans and younger fans. If there's someone to blame for ruining Marvel during the Noughties, that's Joe Quesada or nowadays, it's Ike Perlmutter.

Before the MCU, the only Marvel superheroes that general public heard of were the X-Men, Spider-Man and possibly the Fantastic Four, the Hulk and Captain America.

Sorry but to say that Disney ruined Marvel is a step too far. Love it or hate it, I'm fine with Marvel being part of Disney because Disney joined the likes of Time Warner as the media conglomerate with a successful comic book publisher.

Let's move on, shall we?

• Agree Agree x 2
    #15 AdrenalineRush1996, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  16. KombatMaster94

Yeah, has anyone read my scripts yet? If so, what do you think?

17. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

2 and a half years away from the decades end, so I'll probably decline the possibility of us getting a better show under the Marvel logo any time before the next decade.
    That was weird. On one hand it showed Spidey not wanting to break subway rules, on the other hand he wanted Scorpion to get hit by a subway cart.

18. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

I'm on the boat that says that Quesada needs to leave the creative people alone and Jeph Loeb needs to just plain leave, before we can have any hope for truly great Marvel cartoons again. Maybe Wacker too, since he also doesn't seem to be too concerned over the actual quality of the shows as long as their turn profit, but it is hard to tell with this sarcastic sense of humor.

The main problem of the Marvel Animation is that it is run by people who just don't give dam about animation and don't see it as an artform on its own right. For them, the cartoons are just an easy way to promote the movies and merchandise, where the real money is being made, for kids. Sad thing is, they could easily have their cake and eat it too. Good shows could promote the movies and make some extra profit on their own by having good ratings and even big enough support to justify DVD releases and the like. It kinda tells you something that AEMH was to date the last Marvel cartoon to receive a full DVD release.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

We're not getting anymore US releases of Marvel live-action shows either. Overseas, however, they have physical releases due to the licensing differences.

But no one is going to admit that Motorcity or Tron: Uprising didn't get physical releases despite getting average ratings.

20. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

In other words, the 90s mentality was like: "This doesn't make sense at all, but who cares, kids are stupid!"

And the new mentality has become: "Let's add looney elements from time to time (or entire looney episodes) to make kids laugh."

(I have only seen the first 13 episodes of GOTG so far, so I can't judge that butterfly episode yet.)