Is it possible to make a action cartoon about the Wild West

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by PapaGreg, Nov 12, 2013.

1. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

Once you actually thing about it making a cartoon about the Wild Whamans, Demons, Steampunk, Chinese zombies, Outlaws or Clets. The cartoon has to PG or Y 7 but do you think a western cartoon can be on air especially if it contains guns and est wood be a very intersting cartoon with lores and depth, I mean think about it Mothmen, UFOs, Ghosts, or psychological horror and racism. Not only that but you also have elements of other cultures to so the show can S

2. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Tough as talons! Ca-caw!

I don't know, but I would like to see one! I bet even my dad would watch. My old man's not into cartoons, but he loves westerns.

Considering the time period westerns take place in, I wonder how the racism would be handled.

3. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 New Member

This I'd like to see without the shoe getting slapped with a more mature rating and shown during late hours of the day.

I can see the show either ignoring racism altogether or simply make all the characters white to avoid any possibility of it although if aliens are involved then the theme can be used better still aince then it'll literally be racism.

4. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

Honestly I hope they would take the fantastic world approch similer to Avatar or One Piece

5. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Well, there was The Legend of Calamity Jane, but it was short-lived.

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

An action cartoon can be set anywhere its' creator wants.

The challenge is securing it an audience, ad sponsorship and network support.

7. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

Bravestarr, Saber Rider, & Galaxy Rangers

There's been 3 great cartoons about the wild, wild (space) west all from the '80s.

[​IMG]

Bravestarr- Filmation's Indians as cowboys on an alien world. It handled all manner of serious issues including drug addiction, death, murder, and racism.

[​IMG]

Saber Rider & The Star Sheriffs- World Events Productions dub became more westernized when they changed the music and added episodes. The Star Sheriffs spent their time fighting the alien Outriders from the Vapor Zone in their giant transforming robot Ramrod (voiced by Peter Cullen doing his best John Wayne impression and clearly having a ball).

[​IMG]

Adventures Of The Galaxy Rangers- the one show I didn't watch when it was on. But am catching up with on DVD. Beautifully animated this series follows the Galaxy Rangers never ending struggle against the Queen Of The Crown. Jerry Orbach stars as Zachary Foxx.

8. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

:confused:

9. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

The racism would be ignored, it's the use of firearms that would be more of a concern in today's PC world.

10. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

If said Wild West series were to have a separate fantasy setting a la One Piece or Avatar, then it wouldn't need to be historically accurate, in which case racism would be a non-issue. As for the use of firearms, a solution to that would be to use fantasy weapons which don't exist in the real world, a la Trigun.

11. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I'm surprise nobody mention Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa :p

12. ShadowBeast

in other words laser weapons, they might as well add cars and spaceships too.

13. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Spaceships maybe, but not cars. I think that robot horses would be better.;)

14. Shirubie

Shirubie samurai wannabe

How about Lucky Luke? There's been three different series based on this european comic character (okay technically two, the third is a spinoff featuring the Dalton brothers), several animated movies and even two live-action adaptations. It's pretty unknown in the US unfortunately.
    [​IMG]

15. ShadowBeast

I'd like to see a classic western cartoon without the sci-fi and modern stuff like cars and computers.

16. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 New Member

I agree. Set it in a historical western setting with a twist of fantasy, aome hand to hand combat, gunplay, and we're good to go!

17. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

I was about to mention that and Bravestarr, but then I saw others already did:

[video=youtube_share;G_zbeX6yoRI]http://youtu.be/G_zbeX6yoRI[/video]

I think traditional westerns just don't play as well with the young kids right now. And the adolescents for that matter.

After Disney took a $200 million wash on The Lone Ranger, and then also John Carter which had some western elements, I wouldn't expect any animated westerns for quite some time.

18. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Well, aside from Disney Junior's Sheriff Callie’s Wild West.

[​IMG]

19. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

Given a large number of real-life cowboys during the Old West were African-American, including Black characters in the series wouldn't be out of place. As for racism, I assume either it'd be ignored, downplayed, or handled appropriately (as in some modern/recent-ish westerns... Fox's "Brisco County Jr." in the early 90s for one).

Still, doesn't seem likely to see a Western (comedic or dramatic) anytime soon. Despite literally every other form of fiction before the 70s being cowboy-related (or so it feels), Westerns have fallen off in popularity since then. More likely to see "a special Western episode" of some typical modern TV cartoon instead (such as that SpongeBob episode set in the old west).