1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Disney Trying To Replace Classic Animated Features to Live Action Remakes?

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by TsWade2, Sep 17, 2017.

1. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Hi,

Okay, this maybe kind of stupid, but I'm kind of concern about Disney making classic animated features into live action remake movies. It seems like its becoming the norm right now and it's like Disney is replacing classic animated features into live action movie remakes. I also starting not to like the idea of remaking The Lion King, because there are no humans in the movie. Now, I don't hate remakes, Maleficent is a good movie even though it has some flaws. Live action of Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast are lovely and the live action of The Jungle Book in 2016 is beautifully crafted which is the reason why it won an oscar for that, but I have a feeling that Disney wants to get rid of classic animated features or put them in the vault forever and never be re-released. There's even one time a deviantart user said this,

I don't know if he or she is right or not, which I hope not, but I will ask this if it'll help me settle this for my ocd, is Disney really replacing classic animated features to live action remake films?

P.S. If you guys find this thread dumb, I apologize. I'm just concerned.

2. homeofthebadguys

homeofthebadguys New Member

If they want to make people forget about the animated classics, then why do they keep getting re-released after a certain period of the film being in moratorium? The only animated classic Disney want people to forget is "Song of the South", and that has to do with the NAACP (which is now a echo chamber, and a joke of it's former self) saying that the film is "Racially prejudiced" (which wasn't the case, yet they let Coonskin get released without Ralph Bakshi being attacked for that film). That Deviantart user apparently made a nonsensical claim, or doesn't know the video market.

3. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Yeah, I thought so. Thanks. But in my opinion though, I don't think Song of the South should be forgotten even if it has some moments back then.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #3 TsWade2, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

They aren't replacing the animated ones with the live action ones. If they were trying to replace them why are they still releasing them on DVD?

5. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Yes. Good point. Sorry if my thread is stupid.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nope. Especially since the original animated movies still air on TV where kids and families can see it.
    Why replace one version for another, when more money can be made pushing both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

That isa good point. By the way, I told that idiot from deviantart that what he or she said is nonsense, but he or she still says it's true. Man, people on the internet are stupid these stays. Not here, the users from deviantart.

8. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

As an alternate view on what's already been presented, I think Disney's trying to eat its cake and have it too by producing these live-action remakes that are heavily marketed on the nostalgia people had to the animated originals. The Jungle Book at least had the benefit of having the "look, talking photorealistc CGI animals" thing going for it (and the fact that the original movie is kind of a mess overall), but the remake of Beauty and the Beast seemed intent from the get-go to evoke the animated original as often and as closely as possible. I even felt like it was a subtle slam on the original animated version ("Look! It's Beauty and the Beast, but now it's EVEN BETTER because it's LIVE ACTION instead of just a CARTOON!!!") but clearly I was in the minority because it still made a ton of money and spawned many, many, many more remakes.

In any event, no, Disney does not want to "replace" the animated originals with these live-action versions. They wouldn't be able to market the live-action remakes if they did. The person on Deviantart doesn't know what he's talking about because every single one of Disney's actions flatly contradicts everything he says right on the surface. Though, that said, I would not put it past Disney to try and use their streaming service to effectively resurrect the vault by adding and removing content on there as they like, especially if that ends up being the only way you can get it. But that's an entirely separate discussion.

9. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

What? No, no, no. There's no way Disney will ever replace their Animated Canon with their line of live-action remakes of the Animated Canon that technically began with 101 Dalmatians before being revived with The Sorcerer's Apprentice (which is in fact based on the segment from Fantasia).

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I want ti thank you all for helping me clear this up and I'm sorry if my thread is dumb. And I shouldn't listen to that idiot at deviantart.