1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Disney playing favorites with select shows?

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Candy Randy, Jun 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Candy Randy

Candy Randy Active Member

To me, many signs are pointing in that direction. Over the course of a year or so, it appeared that shows with the likes of Star Wars Rebels and Star vs. the Forces of Evil, and the upcoming DuckTales reboot have been plugged into oblivion by the network, especially on social media. They even went as far to spam the schedules with some of the same shows to no end. Sure they’re popular, but in my opinion it has a negative effect on other shows and its fans so much they are largely ignored by the network itself.

I mean, aside from Star Wars which is already a pop culture phenomenon, it’s getting pretty obvious Disney/DisneyXD want to make cash cow franchises out of them. But to me the way they do it just seems forced. A majority of the shows on the network are eclipsed by the over-promotion of SvtFoE, DuckTales, etc. Even DuckTales is getting a 24 hour premiere on Disney XD by replaying the same episode.

All of this is making me suffer from something called hype backlash. I used to watch Disney XD, but something had changed – the unexplained cancellation of The 7D and the reduction of episodes during its second and now final season. Although not hugely popular, it was capable of receiving a decent amount of viewers and its premiere was Disney XD’s No. 2 animated premiere in its history until it was surpassed by SvtFoE. While they do advertised its second season premiere which received more than 600,000 viewers, after that DXD all but stopped promoting the series and its ratings dropped sharply, which meant that they succeeded in burying the show. Around that time, I also watched SvtFoE. After seeing the potential and the rising popularity of SvtFoE, Disney XD started to hype up the show so much while burying my favorite show on the network had led me to stop watching it shortly after its second season premiered. And after I realized that The7D/Penn Zero and SvtFoE have their San Diego Comic Con panels the same day last year and only news about SvtFoE appeared on Disney XD’s social media accounts, I was angry.

As much as I like other shows on Disney XD, it is unfair that the same shows you like is being treated significantly different on the same network. When Wander Over Yonder and The 7D ended, I quit watching DXD even though I have to leave behind the other shows I enjoyed. A few of my friends stopped watching the network, too, when WOY and The 7D finally left the air entirely.

Disney XD has sure changed over the last few years, but they have problems over how they’re handling their shows.

So, what do you all think?

2. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

They've been doing that for years. Same with the over-promotion and "playing favorites".

3. imanidrayton

imanidrayton Member

TBH I was very upset when T7D ended, now I'm more upset that they took it off the schedule a few months back, I wish the network didn't put the new episodes in the early morning timeslot because a lot of people are normally still asleep by then, when the series started it was doing really well and got picked up for another season and they used to air it a lot during the day, I think the network is playing favorites with their recent shows and leaving The 7D out.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Disney XD's playing favorites is no where near as bad as CN's and Nickelodeon's. But I have noticed certain shows getting more attention than others, and certain shows being treated with less appreciation. The 7D, Penn Zero, Wander Over Yonder, Right Now KaPow were all taken off schedule soon after their cancellations (or season finale with Penn) while most shows get rerunned for a long while after they are canned or ended. Though the latter two are being brought back to schedule later this month for who knows how long. Out of the for mentioned, I think Penn Zero and Right Now Kapow were the most mistreated, with Penn Zero it felt like it was doomed from the start. and the fact that it's taking so long to get it's second season probably meant the writers had to redo some things to give the show an ending. Right Now Kapow was judged before it even premiered with it's art-style not being good enough which resulted with show only getting one season. Wander Over Yonder was at least given a heads-up about it's cancellation, and so it was able to get a series finale, though it was left open for another season. The fact that the show got better with it's second season made it tragic that it was ended too soon. The 7D was originally meant for the really little kids and was changed to be more diverse for other ages. But that might've doomed it since it still felt like it was still meant for only the younger audiences. The glooms were so pathetic that it wasn't even a fair fight against them and Bashful was mostly associated and motivated with his crush on the queen. Shame that they couldn't get to the villains teaming-up plot they had setup though. If Disney hadn't cut the 2nd season's episodes we might've gotten more out of that story.

But back to XD's schedule, checking today's schedule shows a huge variety of shows being played today. 11 shows, not including the shorts, and only two of the shows are live-action. So XD is able to diversify their schedule decently when they want to.

That's what usually happens after a show's cancellation. They are often repeated in the mornings. Jimmy Two Shoes, Kid vs Kat, Kick Buttowski were all put into morning slots after ending. There other shows as well that were given these time-slots but I can't think of them at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

All the kids' networks are doing this

Eventually the preferential treatment of certain shows will spread to broadcast channels

NBC: "You wanna watch The Blacklist or Blindspot?" TOO BAD here's America's Got Talent instead!

That day IS coming...

6. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Of course they play favorites with the shows that get higher ratings.
    You know, like every other network.

7. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

8. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

They stick with the shows with well popularity and good numbers which is one reason why Gravity Falls and Phineas and Ferb has stuck around even after finishing.

9. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

To be fair, Wander Over Yonder was greenlit before Gravity Falls premiered and they might not have wanted to take too many chances. Craig is working on a new pilot that I think is for a serialized show (don't know how long regular episodes are, though knowing Craig and if Disney lets him do what he wants, I'm guessing 22 minutes), so I guess Gravity Falls showed Disney they were wrong.

#9 PinkiePie97, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  10. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

Definitely
    just compare the treatment Star and Penn Zero

• Agree Agree x 1