1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Is DC catching up with live action marvel through tv

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by kid rabbit, Jul 1, 2014.

1. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

there are 4 live action show coming this fall base on dc comics
    the flash
    Constantine
    I zombie
    and the batman's smallville gothom

not to mention season 3 of arrow
    their not movies but it's still good to see some live action dc shows and there are rumors they tie into the batman vs superman movie

2. Captain Travis

DC is doing great with Arrow and Flash! Gotham and Constantine look great too, but I don't think they've quite caught up to marvel. Marvel has got AoS on season 2, Agent Carter, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and then The Defenders coming up!

3. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

So far we've gotten Arrow, which is better then most stuff on the CW but is too night time soap opera for my tastes. It makes me worry about The Flash. I feel better about Gotham and Constantine being on other networks.
    I Zombie I didn't know about. If that is on CW it may be right up their alley. How much do people really identify that as a D.C. comic though?

I thought Agents of Shield was fantastic. As far as I'm concerned Marvel is already in the lead. Partnering with Netflix will probably be to their advantage. And I like that Marvel is able to keep a light sense of humor. D.C. live action takes itself too serious. I can only hope they get it right for Flash.

4. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

DC usually has better TV shows than Marvel. Also helps that Agents of SHIELD is kinda crap so there's not much competition there.

TV and films are two different mediums, it doesn't matter if they're both live action they still aren't that comparable. Especially when every superhero movie needs to be a blockbuster, limiting things like story options and character focus. Things that work better in a TV show. There's no real "catching up" between DC's films and Marvel's TV, because they're on two different tracks.

5. gmster

gmster Active Member

Having seen the pilot, The Flash is definitely a lot more lighthearted than Arrow. It's got that fun feeling to it. I dare say it's going to be the best straight-up superhero show on television.

Marvel may have a leg up on DC in the cinematic realm, but DC dominates in the animation and live-action television arena. It helps that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is woefully mediocre.

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

The answer is no they are not. They have Arrow and Flash, but those are their own self-contained shows. The new Marvel shows will all be a part of the MCU which is a lot more impressive. I'm sitill skeptical on how Constantine and Gotham will turn out. I'm encouraged they actually got someone that looks like Constantine this time and he's British, but he can't smoke anymore either.
    Gotham's premise really makes no sense to me. I'm not really interested in exploring the rogues before they become rogues. If Batman is like 12 at this point, shouldn't many of the rogues be not much older as well?

The animated features have taken a tremendous decline in quality. The animated shows are all but non-existent save for Teen Titans. Beware the Batman was a mediocre disappointment.

I'm not seeing it. The only DC animated show on right now is Teen Titans. The most recent animated features were tremendously disappointing.

I think Agents of SHIELD had a great second half. And I'm a lot more excited about the shows Marvel will be putting out next year, especially Agent Carter.

7. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Arrow is awesome. The Flash looks fantastic. Gotham looks great. I don't think we're counting the animated shows, but just to include my opinion, I think Teen Titans Go! can be amusing, but the episodes aren't worth more than 3 or 4 views. Beware the Batman has been everything a high quality animated superhero show should be in the writing department. The voice acting, score, and animation are all positive aspects of the show as well. The only disappointment for me is the outcome of the series.

Anyways, to answer the question, I think DC could be beating Marvel in the live-action TV department, only because they are being so ambitious with their shows. All they need to do is get the positive reception (and ratings) Arrow is currently receiving. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. hasn't grabbed everyone (myself not included), and outside of Netflix, Agent Carter is the only new Marvel show. I'm excited for Marvel's entries, but DC could very well knock it out of the park with all their shows.

8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Should Beware the Batman even be in the discussion? It was pulled from TV after a handful of episodes for its poor quality and ratings. It was a flop. It didn't even go past a single season.

I think having several shows that are all part of one inter-connected universe in both TV and movies is way more ambitious than what DC is doing, but that's just my opinion.

9. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I only mentioned Beware because you mentioned it. This thread is about the live-action shows anyways. In my opinion, Beware only failed because Cartoon Network wanted it to.

I agree with your comment, but Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. does seem a little limited by what characters it can include (Sony and Fox rights aside). All the Marvel shows in the same universe as the movies is cooler than DC's efforts. I'm definitely a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I want to give DC's shows a chance too. At this moment I'm liking Arrow more than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but that's just me. I just recently re-watched the Agent Carter short, so I'm excited to see what the show is like.

10. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I'm going to say NO as well. Based on the fact MARVEL is releasing Big Hero Six on the big screen, is a major turn. The last theatrical DC animated film was Mask of the Phantasm. DC unfairly had much of their IP's in legal messes and embargoes, so oh freaking well to them. The animation department flourished though on tv, but they sat on a lot of things and still are.

11. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Marvel has never really been able to compete with DC through TV. I have hopes for the Netflix shows but after the first season of Agents of SHIELD my expectations have been greatly lowered. The Flash pilot alone has really raised the bar for anything else Marvel tries (haven't seen Constantine yet).

12. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Through Animated TV DC has always been better, even though their quality lately has been dipping but when it comes to live action TV they have really been horrendous. Unless it deals with Superman, DC has never been able to put out a successful show until Arrow. And honestly I think Marvel has forced DC to step up their game.

13. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

I think dc's television properties are superior. Agents of shield isn't as good as arrow imo. I also thought the flash and Constantine pilots were pretty good . But as far as movies dc has a ways to go.

14. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

First off, we need to eliminate past transgressions of television programs because both DC and Marvel were not always owned by certain corporate entities. They were in the same boat as Dark Horse and Image comics are now. So it is unfair to use examples from before Marvel was bought by Disney. As of now, Marvel is just getting started and still creatively constricted to some degree with them unable to use Spider-Man and X-Men.