Is Archie's Dark Circle line in trouble?

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by hobbyfan, Jan 1, 2016.

1. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

As much as Archie Comics made some strides the last couple of years, it's been negated by ridiculously long delays with some of their newer titles.

As we know, the horror line is stuck in, well, turnaround, and has been since the last issues of Afterlife With Archie (#8) and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (#4) were released. A big reason for this is writer/creative director Roberto Aguirrre-Sacasa being in Hollywood, working with Greg Berlanti on not only the pilot for Riverdale, but also as a producer on Supergirl, in case you hadn't noticed that already. He won't assign anyone to write the two books in his stead, and that's a big mistake that will ultimately doom the line.

Now, the Dark Circle is in trouble, too. The Hangman and The Shield recently launched, but their 2nd issues have yet to see print. Hangman writer Frank Tieri has just taken over writing Catwoman at DC, but I don't see that as being part of the problem. The Shield, with a female lead for the first time in the franchise's history, has been a troubled book from the get-go. So far, no explanation from Archie on the delays on these books. From what I've gathered of late, The Black Hood has fallen behind, and reportedly, Robert Hack is doing a fill-in issue to get Michael Gaydos back on track. Other than what I've seen online, again, there's no explanation. Where's the accountability?

If anyone can provide some additional info, that would be welcome.

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

From everything I hear, that company sounds just barely functional. How else do you explain those issues with Ken Penders' characters due to them misplacing the contracts?

3. hobbyfan

Anyone else got info to share?

4. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

That Ken Penders thing is an entirely different issue as the reason that became a problem was due to management oversight from over twenty years ago. You see in the first year of the Sonic Comic back when it was only an extension of the two animated series coming out at the time (Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic SatAM, who technically premiered AFTER the comic they were based on) they were only really picking up free lance writers without any long term commitement plans. Archie assumed they would likely have a rather short run on the book and it wouldn't last nearly as long as it did thus didn't have any specific plans for it, thus likely wasn't keeping track of the contracts and staff notes like they would now. Since yeah Ken Penders started work back in Sonic 11 and pretty sure he thought it was also going to be a more temporary gig as well but it wound up growing and evolving far beyond what he or the creative team and execs thought. And since he worked for the book for over a decade those original contracts likely weren't an issue until well he exploited a loop hole with them to get back "his" characters. Trust me this wouldn't be a problem with anyone they hired now. Even if Archie suddenly decided they say hated Ian Flynn and totally fired him from the book, they would keep the rights to anything he created for the story and he wouldn't be in a position to get the work back.

Though more on topic of hobbyfan's question, I think the answer is quite honestly that Archie is now a fairly small publisher without the same sort of pull it had even decades ago and can honestly only publish a few titles at a time. And again they put a lot of money into the relaunch of the original Archie book and were trying to get a crowd funder going for other books including a new Jughead title. That fell through but they still launched the Jughead book and I assume because of that and likely wanting to focus on other re launches of the characters (including not just in comic medium but yeah with the Riverdale show as well) a lot of other titles did kind of get screwed over/put more on the back burner. That's the reason why the Sonic Boom comics were canned and Mega Man was put on hiatus and I assume the same goes for the horror and dark circle line as well. Since honestly Archie Comics makes most of it's money from well the specific Archie characters they fully own thus why they try putting the most focus on them. Even if other series sell better, all the profit off the book goes back to Archie so yeah other stuff even in their other lines are a less hot priority.

5. hobbyfan

What bothers me, NUM, is that there's been no official word of any kind on the status of the horror and Dark Circle line delays. All we know is that Black Hood 10 got pushed back to March (resolicited). There was a report that Sabrina artist Robert Hack was a guest artist, but that hasn't been verified.

6. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

And this 2017 year, Archie comics lost the licence from Sega ending their Sonic the Hedgehog comic book after 290 issues (and IDW has gotten the Sonic comic book licence for 2018 launch).