"Iron Man: Armored Adventures" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 26, 2011.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

2. thedanmachine

thedanmachine gomu gomu no custom title

Picked up the first season today on a whim when I saw it cheap at Walmart.

I'm not really an Iron Man purist, so the fact that it's a teenage Iron Man doesnt really bother me. I actually like the show a lot. It's not the best Marvel cartoon ever, but it's pretty solid so far (I'm six episodes in.)

3. ktk

ktk New Member

Responding to a couple points from the last thread, first, for anyone suggesting that Iron Man Armored Adventures isn't "needed" because of the Iron Man Anime about to air this summer, I'll have to strongly disagree.

Haven't seen the anime version yet obviously, but I'll assume that it's nowhere near as appropriate for kids as Armored Adventures is. I've noticed people saying that the Wolverine anime is definitely violent and bloody, and while I wouldn't expect Iron Man to be as bad, it likely has a lot of mature themes in it that may not be suitable for all ages.

On top of that, the Anime show only has 12 episodes, so from that standpoint alone, it's not going to contribute as much as a full season of Armored Adventures would.

Over the past few weeks, Marvel has put out multiple press releases advertising their various comic convention schedules, and in the blurbs that have advertised screenings of Armored Adventures, they have stated that new episodes will arrive in summer.

For anyone who hasn't watched the show because they don't like the idea of Iron Man as a teen, I'd encourage you to give it a try. The writing in a lot of episodes is actually quite entertaining, and on top of that, the entire first season actually has a nice season-long storyline going that reaches it's climax in the 2-part season finale. (And if you're worried about the teen part, don't worry, that's really not played up in a major way.)

I really enjoy the show and I'd recommend it to anyone here. I'm glad thedanmachine gave it a try and liked it.

4. Eivion

Eivion New Member

Actually the anime is pretty tame,maybe even a bit too tame.

5. math56

math56 New Member

I don´t actually bodder with the fact that Tony is a teen in this show. I think very amazing, you guys should think how hard it is to translate a character as Tony Stark [drunk and womanizer] to a teenager. And the teenager version don´t seem that different from him, I mean ,it´s somebody that can turn into Tony down the line. I love the villain in the show, except for Ultimo and Whiplash. I really hope the second season gets some special guests as [Hawkeye, Captain America and Thor].

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

The anime series for Iron Man I honestly see no reason it couldn't air on Disney XD with its content level. It's no edgier than say Next Avengers or Naruto Shippuden which they show. I'd say even consider putting it on a bigger network since G4 ratings are terrible and they aren't even on DirecTV.

Plus we still have Iron Man as one of the main characters in Avengers and that show is pretty appropriate for the kidlets.

I honestly think its a decent show and I will watch it when it is on if it is an episode I missed. I just prefer an Iron Man that is not adventures of teen Tony. Pepper sort of got on my nerves at times especially considering in her first scene with Stark she basically throws her dad under the bus and is completely inappropriate (which is not the bad thing but just how . . . inappropriate and awkward that first meeting was).

I think the show does well in revamping classic characters like Living Laser, Whiplash, and even Madam Masque which was one of the stronger subplots of the show.

7. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

Honestly I see Iron Man AA as a half decent series. It started off very rough with some odd choices but with some great designs and good fight animation. It seemed like they were trying to hard to make Tony right about everything and the first two Ring finding stories were making Gene look stupid and unable to solve the tests just so Tony would be the one to do it. Its bad storytelling to make your main antagonist look like an idiot at every turn in his story as it's impossible to take him seriously as a threat.

Then, rather surprisingly, the middle of the season happened and things took a turn for the better. Gene was more fleshed out and it looked like there was going to be some conflict between if he was going to stay a villain or not. We got to see villains like Living Laser more in-depth and he had an actual subplot with character development (even though his "death" was cheapened by the fact that the same thing “killed” him in his first episode). The Madam Masque subplot was great with some really nice character development for the whole cast. Even MODOK was revamped to make him a dangerous enemy and not a joke.

But then the end of the series happened. MODOK's made back into a joke of villain and everyone in that episode was made into idiots by not smashing the Controller helmet just so Tony could look smart by doing so at the end. Madam Masque was literally removed of all her character development and her father was made into a big idiot jerk (which he looked like he developed out of earlier) just so Iron Man could save the day. Gene just became a moustache twirling villain at the end and any interesting character conflicts were removed.

So all in all I'm not looking forward to season 2 unless the writing has improved dramatically. The CGI animation suffers from the same problems all the other CGI cartoons have. The fairly weak background designs were more erroneous when I recently rewatched the show as I noticed all the buildings at night are just big sticks of light shoved together rather than actual buildings.

8. Superpan

Superpan New Member

...Is there still going to be a second season?

9. macattack

macattack I see you!

Marvel said they're making it.

If you'd permit me to theorize, I bet this season was too far along in production to cancel it like what happened with Spectacular and WatXM. CGI animation takes a lot of work (and expenses) and I guess Marvel figured they might as well finish what they started, lest a ton of money went to waste. Whether any care went into the production, though, remains to be seen. Hopefully the staff opted to close out the second season with a good run rather than phoning it in or making the show bad on purpose.

I think it's safe to say, though, that this will be Armored Adventure's last season. Marvel wants to move completely to Disney, and since Spectacular and WatXM got canceled that leaves Superhero Squad and AA. Cartoon Network seems to be pushing SS' cancellation along, so only AA has a supportive non-Disney home.

10. ktk

ktk New Member

Yeah, the difference seems to be that Nicktoons actually wants IMAA. They still shows lots of reruns each week, and they've used shots from the show lots of times over the past year in various network promos and commercials that they regularly air.

Meanwhile, poor old Super Hero Squad gets one single airing per week at an awful timeslot, except for the weeks when it gets none, like this week.

11. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

So.....does anyone know the status of the show? Is it airing in the spring or summer?:confused:

12. macattack

macattack I see you!

Marvel says summer.

Nicktoons wanted WatXM too, they picked up the second season and Marvel yanked it themselves. Nicktoons overall seems to be more supportive towards third-party toons than Cartoon Network is, which is something I never thought I'd say about a network affiliated with Nickelodeon.

Again, I'm betting IMAA was too far along in production when Disney bought Marvel in order to cancel it without taking a big loss. IMAA just looks like the kind of show that takes a lot of time and money to produce, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. The question is, does Marvel care enough to make this season any good? IMAA is basically the final lame duck of the "serious" Marvel productions, and Marvel probably wishes that it was airing elsewhere or not at all. I hope Yost, Van Dyne, and company don't phone this second season is unless Marvel gave them the corporate equivalent of putting a gun against their heads. Kids deserve better than a crappy sequel season of a good show. I had to deal with that for both Gargoyles (the Goliath Chronicles) and The Incredible Hulk.

I've seen a couple of episodes, the show isn't that bad once you get used to the unorthodox format, sort of like Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow. The Ocean Group's voiceovers get the job done and the animation is great in action sequences, though less impressive in quieter moments. Writing is fairly inconsistent though, and the show has signs of an identity crisis.

13. suss2it

suss2it New Member

Chris Yost is the showrunner right? He doesn't seem like the type to just phone it in.

14. macattack

macattack I see you!

That's why I said I don't think he will unless he was pulled from the show or Marvel forces him to do a bad job so IMAA will just go away quietly. Before you attack me for this, Marvel is a corporation, and Nicktoons is the competition now. I am not entirely sure Marvel wants IMAA to perform well at all.

The biggest problem I have with IMAA is that the character designs are more than a bit clunky. Iron Man's design is fine, but Tony Stark's, Pepper Potts', etc., just don't look or animate right. They look like designs that would work better in 2D than 3D. But that's just an IMO.

I also wish the music would stand out more, it's so generic it hurts. Then again I'm spoiled by Yuki Kajiura, Michiru Oshima, Taku Iwasaki, etc., etc. . .

. . .

Damn, Iwasaki would make a helluva Iron Man composer.

15. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

I might be wrong but I could have sworn Yost said that he wasn't really involved with IMAA Season 2.

*edit*

http://www.newsarama.com/tv/Yost-Animation-100209.html

16. macattack

macattack I see you!

And that's . . . not good. If true, anyway.

While Yost's plotting can be sloppy (there were some gaping plot holes in Next Avengers for example) I think he's one of the best dialogue writers in superhero animation. He can channel any kind of mood, from dark, megalomaniacal rants to light-hearted playground talk with equal ease and he's also written some memorable one-liners.

IMAA's writing will be missing something without Yost there.

17. suss2it

suss2it New Member

Yeah Marvel (& Disney) would rather have all their shows under the same umbrella, and air on Disney XD, intentionally sabotaging their own show isn't a smart business move. It's airing on the competition, but Marvel (and by proxy Disney) are still getting paid for it. And with corporations, money is money they don't care where it's coming from.

18. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

I don't think Avengers is being brought in house at Disney. Unless season 2 is meant to be the last season or it would be taken in house if it does continue after a second season.

Also what about the anime shows? If the projects are a success could Marvel not make more with Madhouse and Sony if they wanted?

By 2009 there had to have been some reasonable amount of pre-production on done on the second season of Armored Adventures. Material was shown at SDCC so that means they had to have written some material and done concept and model drawings. But how far along they exactly were is still the question.

19. ktk

ktk New Member

Well, let's not judge something before we see it.

That said, theoretically, there should be a far stronger connection between the two seasons in a show like Avengers EMH, where supposedly all 52 episodes were made together, as compared to the connection between the two seasons of IMAA, where there's a relatively huge gap between the two seasons.

But I guess we'll find out when the new episodes finally show up. Hopefully they'll be as enjoyable as season one was. Losing a top guy like Yost isn't good, but you gotta remember, there's still 100 other people sticking around who also worked on season one.

20. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

This weekend at Wondercon in San Francisco, Jeph Loeb will be presenting the below panel:

SUNDAY
    12:00 – 1:00 PM MARVEL TELEVISION PRESENTS: THE SUPER HERO SQUAD SHOW AND IRON MAN ARMORED ADVENTURES – Catch fan favorites The Super Hero Squad Show and Iron Man Armored Adventures as Marvel’s Head of Television, Jeph Loeb, introduces an action-packed, full-length episode of each exciting series! Fire up those jet repulsors and Hero Up to witness your beloved Iron Man’s high-octane adventures and The Super Hero Squad’s hilarious exploits. Don’t miss brand-new episodes of The Super Hero Squad Show on Cartoon Network and tune in to Nicktoons for new episodes of Iron Man Armored Adventures premiering this summer! Room 103

So, there you have it. New eps of IM: AA this summer!