1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Iron Man 3" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, May 3, 2013.

?

Rate and Comment - "Iron Man 3"

1. *****

14.3%
  2. ****1/2

32.1%
  3. ****

21.4%
  4. ***1/2

17.9%
  5. ***

3.6%
  6. **1/2

3.6%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

3.6%
  10. 1/2

3.6%
  1. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

I think this can be explained a bit easier. Let's use.....The Wizard of Oz as an example. The final twist of that movie is that, there is no wizard controlling everything & granting wishes, just a random magician. But he created the concept of a Wizard of Oz, & was able to give an illusion of that. Therefore, if you wanted to see the Wizard, you couldn't because it was just a concept, but you could see the man that created that concept. Aldrich Killain was the Wizard of Oz in that sense. If you wanted to see The Mandarin, you couldn't because he's just a concept in the movie. But Aldrich was the man that created that concept, therefore he is The Mandarin, just not literally. The dragon tats & fire-breathing were more of a shout-out to Fin Fang Foom if anything.

Also, I liked the twist myself since I thought it was clever to go a different direction like that. Ben Kingsley was menacing when he needed to be, & entertaining when he was "Trevor".

2. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

Would have loved it if Pepper kept the fire powers and became Firestar

3. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

No, I get what you're saying. But I'm not so certain the Oz comparison is fully appropriate, as unlike Oz, Killian did and could do all the things he promised. A lot of was just delivered through Trevor. Again, I'm not very insightful about the character's history. I would cite this post at another forum I frequent. Doesn't fully justify what I think of the twist, but I guess in a roundabout way it did fulfill much of what Mandarin is all about.

4. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

I was wondering why there wasn't an Mandarin action figure. Now I know why. Even thought I wa dissapointed in not seeing the real Mandarin in action I did enjoy the movie. Now bring on Thor.
    The bonus stuff in chinese version is hilarious stupid (even chinese people hated it).You can read pretty much what they added in this article.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I enjoyed the film. The first part was a bit slow (although I do think it was necessary). But after that, the rest was really good. I thought the Extremis soldiers were really cool, and made for formidable foes. The climax was awesome, and easily the highlight of the film. I had to clap when Tony kept jumping in different armors. The twist with Mandarin was....weird, but Killian made for a cool villain anyway. And Pepper finally got to kick butt. Meanwhile, the kid actually wasn't too annoying. So yeah, another really good MCU film.

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Count me as one who wasn't digging the deconstruction, if you will, of Mandarin.

When was the last time the Mandarin appeared in the comics, anyway? Seems like years ago. To that end, Marble let Shane Black and co. have carte blanche, effectively killing the Mandarin as an effective foe for Iron Man in the comics. Killian, on the other hand, was just a generic enemy. Stark blows him off, and then he comes looking for the el receipto 13+ years later? Meh. The whole Extremis thing makes me think of Terminator 2 and the T-1000 with the regenerating limbs. Meh again. In the comics, Pepper eventually gets her own armored ID, and a tease in that direction was very welcome. I graded this a C because of all the deconstruction done in loosely adapting some comics stories from the 70's, 80's, & 90's.

7. Mr. Hypocrite

Mr. Hypocrite Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.

So I watched this on Satuday.

...Good action, logical development from the Avengers (I've read that it was travelling through the wormhole that messed Tony up so much, and considering what it did to Loki, I can believe that), and a lot of humour (I honestly laughed a lot)...

But there was a deal-breaker, and despite not reading every other post in this thread, I think you can all guess what it was. I can see where they were going with it, but I think that the whole thing with the Mandarin was poor execution, and it ultimately hurt the whole story.

And yeah, I get that Killian was meant to be the real Mandarin in the end, but what a waste of Ben Kingsley.

I don't know how to feel about this movie. After that twist, I feel like it pulls in all other aspects and makes itself the centre of the entire story. You either like it, or you don't, and that affects how you feel about the rest of the story.

8. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I thought the Killian thing worked very well. When you see him in those flashbacks you can just tell this is a guy who has been walked over his entire life. Like, thirty-plus years. Tony Stark was the last straw and when you give a guy with his genius, his thirst for power, and give him that power, he's going to go crazy with it. The filmmakers basically sold their movie on character body language and it worked.

9. G. Wen

G. Wen aspiring artist

I enjoyed this movie so much, not just as a stand alone film, but the Iron Man trilogy has got to be the strongest trilogy I have ever seen. Each film explores a different theme, but connects overall as well. Tony's character arc just makes so much sense, with nothing being forced or rushed. Because I am not familiar with the comics, the twist with the Mandarin doesn't bother me, in fact I enjoyed Kingsley's performance of the two different characters. Seeing how the Mandarin is essentially Fu Manchu, presenting him in the movie the way they did is the most politically correct option. There's one plot hole that's been bothering me though: when Tony ends up in Tennessee, where did he get that car?

10. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

You forgot already...? He nabbed it off the pyro healing factor pyscho army aim dude.

11. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

This was a great way to end the trilogy. Way better than the second, and just about as good as the first. It's interesting how they pulled a Nolan with all of the villians from the three films reflected an aspect of Tony's personality, much how all the baddies in the Dark Knight Trilogy mirrored elements of Bruce Wayne's character. The action was great and the humor was possibly even funnier than the Avengers. And Robert Downey Jr.'s performance may go down as the best of any comic book hero, ever.

So, as you might expect, I'm very disappointed that a large swath of the comic book community has rejected the film, on the sole basis that Shane Black rejected their precious Fu Manchu stereotype for a much more complex and thoughtful deconstruction. At this rate, I'd almost be happy if Marvel Comics pulled another ridiculous retcon a la Nick Furry Jr. and permanently replaced the 616 Mandarin with a Killian-type character, if only for the sole reason that it would even further tick off the same bunch of people. :p

12. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

My response to this was something i heard on a podcast of which i whole heartdly agreed with. I thought the twist on the Mandarian was the single most clever twist thats ever happened in a comic book movie since we started caring about them. Ever since the Dark Knight a lot of comic book movies have been tripping over themsleves in trying to find a jokeresque villian and this movie kinda took the piss out of that whole notion. As for Ben Kingsley being wasted...i felt this movie also deflated another movie tradition in that you hire the most shakesperian actor to play the villian. And you use there inherit hamminess to stomp all over the sceneary and make these nonsence over the top speeches ( ex. The lesson #1). But for anyone who has seen Ben Kingsley movies, should know that hes a very delicate subtle and funny actor who can do a lot of things so limiting him to this cartoon character would of been nothing. So the fact that all of a sudden hes this drug addicted out of work actor doing his best Russel Brand impression was freaking hilarious. The fact that the movie owns up to that and keeps going didnt really undermine the peril and danger of the summer action movie...cuz come on theres no real danger here is there?
    I mean this movie made no sense...the plot holes were abound and Killians motive didnt make any sense but who really cares? I came to see whats proally the best director actor duo in hollywood and i enjoyed the hell out the film. The movie didnt act like we hadnt all seen it before and had the right amount of cyncism. The choregraph at the end with Stark jumping from suit to suit was something ive never seen in an iron man comic. Hey for being a multi-billion dollar company...they sure took some ballsy risks that they didnt have to take and i for one am glad they did.

#32 Tohya, May 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  13. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Okay IMHO the biggest problem of this movie is kind of the biggest problem in general with some of these Marvel flicks: pointlessly trying to end the film on the note of "oh we won't see them ever again" or "they aren't going to do what we know they're going to do by the next movie." You know, saying Iron Man wouldn't be in the Avengers in Iron Man 2, saying Thor was stuck in his plane of reality thanks to the bridge being destroyed and supposedly not able to come back together in Thor, and now Tony supposedly destroying all of his suits, saying that Iron Man was a cocoon and finally being able to live happily ever after without him or any shrapnel in his heart at the end of this movie. Okay fine maybe he doesn't need Iron Man anymore but really, you're honestly going to end the movie saying "Oh yeah that's the last of Iron Man' even when you say Tony Stark will return? Sorry but yeah that is annoying bullcrap. I get that the movies want to still be mostly self contained and only now have small reminders or pieces from the other films and not be big plot points and I can respect that. Hell I was one of the first who said "I hope people don't just keep going why isn't the Hulk or Captain America helping out in this film" so yeah fine keep them seperated. It's how the comic works and it can be how the movie works. But don't try ending things or trying to be conclusive or pretty much lying for no good reason to the auidence just for a supposed dramatic moment or reveal when we know better. Everyone knows there's going to be an Avengers 2 and that Tony Stark's Iron Man is going to be in it. And we know it's going to be played by Robert Downy Jr because as much as Marvel may be having problems (or at least saying they're having problems) with the new contract or the revnue they're giving RBJ, you know that they know he's a big reason these films make so much so if it means giving him a bit more green they'll be fine with that for another potential 1.5 billion dollar overall haul. Really there was no need to end the movie on that note. Well to be fair the end credits stinger with Tony and Bruce was better as it ended it on a "oh sorry I was sleeping for your story and your philosphing" note which to me indicated more a "yeah this is a chapter but the book hasn't closed yet for Tony" but I don't know why the actual film did that. And don't tell me it was because it was trying to be dark and deep and dramatic because yeah that wasn't really the case.

Iron Man 3 was funny and action packed but not as much as Avengers

- I liked the kid in it especially when he tried making Tony feel guily and Tony called him out on it and Tony saying to stop bugging him about new york and give him a sandwitch.

- Would of liked to see more of War Machine/Iron Patrio since we only got like really one actual bit with the patriot and that was taking the president away though Don Cheadle did good bits with Rhodie.

- I would of liked to actually see an armor suit built for Pepper Pots but her with the Iron Man Armor as well as her on the Extremsis actuall ytaking out the real Mannderin at the end was a great bit.

- I really wish I hadn't been spoiled by the actual Manderin we see in the trailers is just an actor who they hired as a spreader of terror because honestly that was a great twist because even if you knew that Guy Pierce's Killian was a baddie you could of bought him as the scientific underling and what could of just been a rip on the Dark Knight actually put a really clever spin on it.

- There were a lot of good banter but I do think Avengers was a lot funnier but there were still some good bits to Tony and Happy Hogan talking with one another, Tony piloting the Iron Man armor to try and trick Pepper into thinking he was in it, Tony breaking the guy's phone after making the threat to the manderin, that bunny statue that Tony gave Pepper as a Christmas present, Tony being annoyed with Jarvis as it piloted to the frozen city after his battle with the helicopters, telling one of the guys he blew up to walk back after what he did to them, Stan Lee's cameo, that guy who had a man crush and tattoo of Tony, the workmen snickering about Iron Patriot's password and Rhody pointing a gun at them, the Mannderin just being an actor who was really an idiotic lush pervert who didn't know any better, Iron Man armor getting hit by a train, Rhody not getting hiw own armor in the ending fight scene and various other bits I could list.

- I did like the actual mystery of not only what the Mannderin was but about the Extremsis virus and the various little twists we got like why the vice president wanted the extremsis virus to heal his daughter's leg or Maya turning on Killian and her getting killed.

- The Action bits were good. Nothing Avengers level but the stuff with the helicopter, in the bar with just tony managing to take out the extremesis people, how he was able to link arm's with everyone to save them from falling out of the plane, and all the various mechs in the final battle were good. I also really liked the last fight with Tony and Killian mostly with how Tony kept changing suits after Killian kept destroying them or Tony having the original Iron Man suit appear around Killian and try and blow him up with it.

- I'm also glad that the arc was more on Tony just trying to use his mechanic genius to save the day and wasn't some sort of concious or faith or just plain losing his touch like you'd see in say the Dark Knight.

Overall not quite as good as the Avengers but still a very solid enjoyable movie with a lot of good moments and though not as much laugh and action to keep me super hyped defintley enough to continue keeping me entertained. Probably about as good as the first movie since it's not nearly as corny or as straightforward as that but I think that one just felt a bit overall more solid but this still I did like this one and hope there is actually more solo Iron Man movies and they don't end the franchise here.

14. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I thought this was pretty weak. I didn't get Killian's motivation, I thought kid got annoying after a while and overall I felt pretty underwhelmed by it. It was really, really stupid of Tony to reveal his address and call out the Mandarin. And yeah, the twist sucked. True it could have been handled worse and Ben Kingsley was pretty funny, but c'mon, it's Iron Man's arch nemesis. Do him properly or don't do him at all, especially since they've been teasing him for a while. I dunno, I just really didn't like this movie at all. And that scene after the credits was pretty lame. No tease to Avengers 2 or anything? Not that I have anything against this being totally separate from The Avengers (and thus learning from Iron Man 2) but I felt it was a bit of a waste.

15. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

16. Vegard Aune

Vegard Aune Member

From what I understood, they wanted to wrap up all the loose ends of Tony's character-arc since at the time of filming this, they weren't sure Robert Downey Jr. would renew his contract for more movies or something... But yeah, now that you mention it, they do seem to pull that a lot, don't they? And it does seem a bit pointless going to this length to show that Tony's crime-fighting days are totally over forever n'stuff, when... let's be fair, he's totally gonna just build a new suit at the first sign of trouble in The Avengers 2.

17. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

2012. He was one of the main villains from last story arc before the relaunch.

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I saw it on Wednesday.
    The Mandarin, wow. I did NOT see that coming. I know little of the Mandarin outside of being Iron Man's biggest foe, but since I never read the comics so I can't say I'm too upset they didn't stay true to his character. If anything, I'm upset that the advertisements set it up that crap hits the fan, when throughout the movie, there was never a sense of great despair over the situation, it really played like a true action comedy.
    If anything, I felt misled by the ads. Heck, I don't recall Killiam being in commercials or trailers at all.
    But that doesn't mean it's a bad movie. I really enjoyed it!
    The action and comedy were much more fun and exciting than Iron Man 2, overall I liked it almost as much as I did the first one. It's not perfect, but it's still enjoyable.

So......what was keeping Tony from getting surgery to remove the shrapnel before?

19. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

I enjoyed it. It seemed more of the same, which isn't bad. A slightly darker key for a slight change in vision, but more or less a good solid superhero movie which didn't make the mistake of making the second sequel require an extra villain or four. It really did rest on Downy Jr, but hell, he did his job in spades and was highly enjoyable. Plot to kidnap and kill the President got a little silly and lost in the explosions, but overall, really had a good time. And best end credit roll sequence ever. Loved that music.

20. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Or maybe they just thought that it was a complete waste of a villain that could EASILY be updated and modernized, as shown through the recent comic stories, and obvious to anyone that has bothered to pick up or investigate a comic book instead of coming to ill-informed, ignorant conclusions.

Not to mention this exact theme was already explored in the first film, with much more subtlety and thought, too.